New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Chameleon for other types of magic

Ok, if Chameleons had aspects for other types of magic, what would they look like?

Martial maneuvers?
    Psionics?
    Incarnum?
    True naming?
    Binding?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Chameleon for other types of magic

A quick fix at least for truenaming and binding would be to use the bonus feat to pick up "Bind Vestige" or "Minor Utterance", but you'd have to find a way to get 6 ranks of truename skill.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

A Red Mage version on the wizards boards added a psionic focus: http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archi...x.php/t-778804. I seem to remember someone there or here adding a martial focus that granted more maneuvers than you'd get with just a martial study feat.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Factotum with the truenameing skill into Chameleon would solve the problems with taking Minor Utterance.
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a snapshot of my base class Chameleon's maneuver progression from 6-15, slightly modified for use with the 10-level PrC:

{table=head]Level|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known
    1|7|4|1
    2|7|4|1
    3|8|4|2
    4|9|4|2
    5|9|5|2
    6|10|5|3
    7|11|5|3
    8|11|5|3
    9|12|5|3
    10|13|6|4[/table]

Pretty poor progression, huh? Well, he has access to every discipline, so... poor progression it is.

EDIT: I don't think you should give psionics to the Chameleon. Chameleons do not gain any kind of innate supernatural powers from the class; everything they do is a learned skill. I'm pretty sure that all psionic abilities depend on an innate power (much like a Sorcerer's magic), but I don't know everything about psionics. Can anyone find a source contradicting this? I'd kind of like to put psionics into the Chameleon, but part of the class's theme is that you've only learned to use these abilities; you haven't been born with a wide variety of magical gifts or anything like that.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2008-11-02 at 12:59 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.