New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Need help: picking magic items

Ok, my current character just fell into some cash, as in 48,000 GP and I'm 13th level. And I'm having trouble trying to figure out what fancy magical stuff I should buy. My character itself is Barbarian 1/Fighter 5/Warshaper 4, and is a natural born were-crocodile. As feats I've got a Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Multi-attack, Combat Reflexes, Deft Strike, Weapon Focus (Bite), Improved Natural Attack (Bite), Vexing Flanker, Improved Combat Reflexes, and Mage Slayer. My stats without magic gear are Str 22/+8 in were-form/+4 while raging (which I don't do much), Dex 16/+2 in were-form, Con 20/+6 in were-form, +4 while raging, 13 Int, 16 Wis, Cha 13 (yeah I rolled pretty well). My fortitude save is varies between +21 up to +25 depending (with a +2 from my cloak of resistance +2), Reflex is +10/+11 in alt form (with cloak), And Will is +13 (+2 while raging, plus a few more for various magic stuff).

So I'm pretty happy with where my Fortitude Save are, and my Will save, and I've got a lot of hit points, damage reduction 10/silver, plus fast healing 2 for Warshaper for some awesome natural attacks. I'm not too concerned about my AC thanks to damage reduction+fast healing+immune to crits/sneak attacks+lots of hit points.

My current magic items are a Crystal Mask of Mental Armor (+4 bonus vs. Enchantment), Amulet of Health +2, Phoenix Helm (1/day feather fall, resist energy (of 20), and speak with animals), Cloak of Resistance +2, Mithral Chain shirt +1 that changes form with me and keeps its AC bonus, and has Mind Armor on it which 3/day gives a +5 bonus to Will saves as immediate action), Gauntlets of Ogre Power +2, Belt of Growth (enlarge 1/day), Boots of Speed, Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Feather Fall, and a special "Bracers of Magic Fang +1 and Flaming", so they augment all my natural attacks.

So I'm not too concerned with getting hit in melee as I have the hit points and damage reduction to take it, and I'm not too concerned about save-or-whatever (EXCEPT Reflex saves) because Will and Fort are good. I'm more concerned about having my mobility hampered (I've got a couple potions of fly but that only goes so far when a Wall of Force keeps me from beating down casters). Being hit with crap like Ray of Fatigue where there's no save and of course my touch AC is going to be hit.

Possible Items- drop my ring of feather fall, pick up either a Ring of Invisibility (if they can't seem me they can't hit me), but it is 20,000GP, or a Ring of Blinking (50% miss chance, always good, and being able to go through walls, excellent, though the 20% miss chance I'd suffer kinda sucks, and it's like 27,000GP). Or just dropping the Belt of Growth and taking a few potions of Enlarge with me, and a Belt of Battle would be pretty cool, or a Belt of Ogre Power for more uber-strength.

Honestly I'm not super-experienced with what magic items are even out there that people make excellent use out of.

Suggestions? Help? Please?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Need help: picking magic items

What books do you have access to?
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Pretty much any I suppose. One friend has the DMG and the Magic Item Compendium.

Also: Is there any item/s that gives it's user TRUE SEEING?!?! That would be a major, major, major buff.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Samson View Post
    Possible Items- drop my ring of feather fall, pick up either a Ring of Invisibility (if they can't seem me they can't hit me), but it is 20,000GP, or a Ring of Blinking (50% miss chance, always good, and being able to go through walls, excellent, though the 20% miss chance I'd suffer kinda sucks, and it's like 27,000GP).
    Ghosttouch on your weapon will negate that miss chance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Thanks for pointing that out. I suppose what's good for the Goose is good for the OH MY GOD THAT'S A HUGE BLINKING CROCODILE!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do you need to drop a ring? is it possible to have too many enchantments or something?
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

it doesnt look like you have any way to fly, and imo thats a major mistake, i would suggest either a pair of wings of flying, or some winget boots.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #8

Also: Is there any item/s that gives it's user TRUE SEEING?!?! That would be a major, major, major buff.
    Yes but it's 90K, and it's from a book that you are unlikely to have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Ghosttouch on your weapon will negate that miss chance.
    A common misconception. Ethereal and incorporeal are two very different things. Ghost Touch weapons negate incorporeal miss chance and can be wielded by incorporeal creatures. Blink makes you ethereal. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Items from the MIC that give True Seeing:
    Eyes of Truth (page 99), 1/day as swift action for 1 round, 5500 gp
    Scout's Headband (page 132-133), 1/day as standard action for 1 minute, 3400 gp
    Truelight Lantern (page 190), 1/day as standard action for 10 minutes, reveals everything within light radius as if everybody had True Seeing, 36000 gp

In core there's the Gem of Seeing (DMG page 257) for 30 minutes/day divided up however you like, but it's still a bit beyond your price range at 75000 gp.

If Unapproachable East is allowed, there's the Hathran Mask of True Seeing (page 57) that gives continuous True Seeing for 75000 gp. Beyond your budget right now unless you can come up with the remaining 27000 somehow (borrow from the party?), but it would be the ultimate solution for that problem.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2008-11-03 at 05:50 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Yeah 90,000 GP is WAY out of my league. As far as dropping the ring, well, you can only gain the benefit of two rings at a time right? And yes, flying is important, how much do those items cost? Also, are they a small number of rounds/minutes/day, or at will?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah 90,000 GP is WAY out of my league. As far as dropping the ring, well, you can only gain the benefit of two rings at a time right? And yes, flying is important, how much do those items cost? Also, are they a small number of rounds/minutes/day, or at will?
    Not quite true. There's some shriveled hand you can wear in your amulet slot that you can put a ring on and have it work.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Well I'm fine with dropping a ring of feather fall, especially since I get it once per day with my Phoenix helm, and if I'm affected more than once I have a lot of hit points and damage reduction to make it not as bad. And I don't really want to Give up my Amulet of Health.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well I'm fine with dropping a ring of feather fall, especially since I get it once per day with my Phoenix helm, and if I'm affected more than once I have a lot of hit points and damage reduction to make it not as bad. And I don't really want to Give up my Amulet of Health.
    I'm worried about the number of times you think you are going to fall off a cliff...

More over you don't need feather fall if you spring for a flying item.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    Not quite true. There's some shriveled hand you can wear in your amulet slot that you can put a ring on and have it work.
    Forgot your obnoxious sig.
    Anyway, alternative to keeping creepying hands around your neck is to pay 50% more to move what item slot it takes up.

Or 100% more to not have it take up an item slot.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

I'm not so concerned about falling off lots of cliffs (although we had one horrible encounter where we were slowed by Solid Fog and as soon as walking out of that come upon an anti-gravity field (10d6 damage going up, 10d6 damage coming down). Yes, we're playing Pathfinder.

And flight won't always help you with falling if you're not expecting a trap and haven't gotten your flight on yet.

And what's this nonsense about moving magic item slots of not having them take up ANY slots at all???? Please, do go on...

15. - Top - End - #15

The 90K one is continuous and also provides immunity to gaze attacks, blindness, and generally anything having to do with your eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Though I can't afford it and probably won't before the campaign's over, what is it?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And what's this nonsense about moving magic item slots of not having them take up ANY slots at all???? Please, do go on...
    It is in the DMG item creation rules, near the very back. When I get home I'll edit this post to put in the page number, and see if I can find it on SRD.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

That would be much appreciated. So does that mean for paying double I could put on another ring and gets its benefits as well, and wear two amulets and get both benefits etc...?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yes. Still doesn't stack for same thing.

Also don't forget you can wear 4 hats. Stack on top of each other. For great justice.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Say what say what? That sounds pretty awesome. Oh the many hats I shall wear...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're willing to wait for another 6,000 GP, the Phoenix Cloak from Magic Item Compendium gives you a fly speed of 40 (Perfect).
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Don't be fooled into buying that ring that gives you the benefit of being able to use an extra ring.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

...wait, what? Could you describe that item? It sounds like selling six apples to buy half a dozen apples.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

48,000 gp isn't that much, so you should spend wisely. Start with this: Bunko's Bargain Basement.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Phoenix Cloak gives you a perfect fly speed of your land speed, not a fixed number. This is very advantageous for characters with higher than average land speeds. Its also in the same set as your Mask, so I don't know if you can get the full set any time soon.

MIC has rules for adding stats to existing items. So you could have a Belt of Enlarge (or Battle) of Ogre Power, for the cost of the Belt of Enlarge (or Battle) + Ogre Power (+4 or +6). This is VERY nice, since stat buffs tend to be the best value for the money, and would otherwise make certain body slots dead for certain character types. I'd suggest boosting your str more by upgrading to a better belt. Str also helps with trips and grapples, so its worth every penny.

Eyes of Truth combined with a Revelation Crystal from MIC would negate invisibility pretty good for one combat a day. I dunno if you can apply a weapon crystal to an amulet, but I don't see much reason why not, since it IS your weapon (essentially).

The Aporter armor enhancement gives you Dim Door once per day. Not great for scouting or combat movement, but nice for getting out of Force Cages or around Walls of Force. Might be worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

26. - Top - End - #26

Uncustomary space limitation4 Multiply entire cost by 1.5 Helm of teleportation
    No space limitation5 Multiply entire cost by 2 Ioun stone

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...MagicItems.htm

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
    Uncustomary space limitation4 Multiply entire cost by 1.5 Helm of teleportation
    No space limitation5 Multiply entire cost by 2 Ioun stone

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...MagicItems.htm
    MIC overwrites a few of these rules. Always best to check with the most recent source.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    MIC overwrites a few of these rules. Always best to check with the most recent source.
    MIC

(I usually only use core)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

MIC is about the most fun thing to happen to low level adventurers ever. There is a ton of stuff in there, little things, that have minor bonuses, but are actually very useful, and are reasonably priced. Its FUN for PCs to have magical bobbles, but its not fun for the DM if he upsets the scales of WBL. With the exception of a few outliers, most of the stuff in MIC is pretty resonably priced for what it does, actually makes it a tough decision between the ol' standbye gear in the DMG, and some new stuff that is just as good, but different.

MIC was an outstanding suppliment, IMO. Too bad it came so late.

30. - Top - End - #30

You still haven't said what MIC stands for