New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Question Ultimate Magus Classes

What is a spontaneous arcane casting class that has spells a Wizard can't get?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Ultimate Magus Classes

Bard (cure spells)
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_ninja View Post
    That isn't really the point of an UM. The point is lots 'n lots of spells per day.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorcerer(Draconomicon has some, as do several other books) and Warmage gets a few.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Question Re: Ultimate Magus Classes

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    Sorcerer(Draconomicon has some, as do several other books) and Warmage gets a few.
    well just to be clear the armor casting thing from the warmage/beguiler wont apply to the wizards spells ever. right?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

well just to be clear the armor casting thing from the warmage/beguiler wont apply to the wizards spells ever. right?
    It will if you take a level in Spellthief and grab the Master Spellthief feat.

But then, you don't really need armor all that much, anyway.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Light Armor:Mithral Breastplate +1, costs 5,200 GP, weighs 15 LBS, adds 6 to your AC, ACP of -1 and gives you a max Dex of +5, as well as whatever you had to do to get rid of the ASF.
    No Armor: Greater Mage Armor. Costs one 3rd level slot, gives you +6 to AC. No max Dex, no ACP, no weight. Much more worth it.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Nar Demonbinder. It just happens to own otherwise too, putting you just one level behind a straight Wizard and getting you a superb Familiar while at it. You get stuff like Spell Resistance and the Blasphemy-line (for Ultimate Magus and the side with higher CL!). Although, to be fair, a Wizard with sufficient work can get any spells he wants.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-11-03 at 06:47 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just grab one of those mithril chain shirts with all of the doodads that reduce arcane spell failure to 0% if you really want armor.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

smile Re: Ultimate Magus Classes

nah armor is no biggy to me.

i want to make a spell caster opptimized for metamagic. I figured a sorc/wiz ultimate magus was kinda redundant (b/c they have the same spell lists) and wanted to know if there were any more interesting combinations.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Beguiler works better than Sorc due to the casting stat. Duskblade is also good, for the same reason.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

A long time ago in a ... well, you get the idea.

I would have to say Duskblade also. full BAB, good saves, high hit dice, and the ability to channel spell power into a melee weapon. They do get a lot of the same spells, but it's based off of INT anyway...
    Funny, I always figured I'd be killed by a paladin.
    So, what you're saying is we rolled a 1 on our credit check?

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Nar Demonbinder is easily worth it in spite of the casting stat though - you'll have a good number of non-stat related spells on the Nar Demonbinder (Unapproachable East) side and continue to accrue more as you get the Ultimate Magus-abilities that take Wizard-spells and move them to the spontaneous side. Also, you end up with level 8 casting on Demonbinder's side and 1-to-full on Wizard-side, so you can actually compete with a straight Wizard in spellcasting department.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14

Ultimate Magus is a bad choice for a Duskblade unless you use the adaptation section to convert it into Spontaneous/Spontaneous and enter via Duskblade 13/Nar-Demonbinder 2 and have Wands of Divine Power somewhere on yoru character sheet.

Wizard/Beguiler/Ultimate Magus is considered strong. Also, Wu-Jen/Beguiler (or Sorcerer, if you want the spell list access) is good. Dread Necromancer/Wizard, with the right tricks can get into True Necromancer. Not very powerful (as they only end up with 8th level spells on both sides), but it can be entertaining.

The most powerful entry into it is Dragonwrought Kobold Wizard 5/War Weaver 5 with Loredrake. You end up with nice metamagic, decent spells, and the War Weaver's best abilities. Stopping part-way through Ultimate Magus to pick up 4 Legacy Champion levels that advance War Weaver is also a good idea.

15. - Top - End - #15

Other classes?? Bah! A wizard needs no such distractions. What you want is to take Spontaneous Divination replacement feature (from Complete Champion) at level 5 and cast spells as a wizard both spontaneous and with preparation. Then you get to *really* be an Ultimate Magus, with ninth level spells in your low teens.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tokiko Mima View Post
    Other classes?? Bah! A wizard needs no such distractions. What you want is to take Spontaneous Divination replacement feature (from Complete Champion) at level 5 and cast spells as a wizard both spontaneous and with preparation. Then you get to *really* be an Ultimate Magus, with ninth level spells in your low teens.
    That shouldn't work...but somehow I suspect it does.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it does, I just read up on Ultimate Magus and Spontaneous Divination. The make-or-break point is whether or not a Wizard with Spontaneous Divination can be referred to as a "spontaneous arcane casting class". I think it does; it's a fairly descriptive phrase, which any class able to cast arcane spells spontaneously qualifies for. If it were a feat granting this ability, I'd say no, because this refers only to the class itself, but when you replace the class's features, those new features are now part of the class.

So he qualifies, and gains the full benefit of the super-spellcasting benefit because not one part of the spellcasting description states or implies that the identities of your casting classes must be mutually exclusive.

You gain the normal benefit from Arcane Spell Power.
    Expanded Spell Knowledge doesn't work at all because for your spontaneous casting you are only able to cast divinations, all of which you already have access to.
    Augmented Casting doesn't work either, because it refers to the benefit going to "another" class, and 'another' indicates mutually exclusive identities.

But those aren't even important, compared to the power of a 13th-level Wizard with 9th-level spells. It obviously wasn't designed with a single class in mind, but takes no preventative measures against it. Class features not working don't prevent you from qualifying for and advancing in the class.

Oh, and you don't gain the benefit of increased spellcasting progression on the 10th level, since your Wizard casting hit 20th on the 9th level of UM.

So... what do you do with those 6 extra levels?
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It doesn't. Char Ops has disproved that theory ever since people tried using Southern Magician to get Cleric 15 at 10th level. They disproved the Spontaneous Divinations wizard when I posted the idea over there too.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

what do you do with those 6 extra levels?
    Go for the gold, take levels in Ur-Priest.

They disproved the Spontaneous Divinations wizard when I posted the idea over there too.
    Please, explain.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure a Spontaneous Divination Wizard is just as much a spontaneous arcane class as a Cleric who can convert spells into Cures or Inflicts or a Druid who can spontaneously convert spells into Summons would be considered a spontaneous divine class. If you're spontaneously converting prepared spells into other spells, you're not casting them spontaneously in the same sense that a true spontaneous caster converts open spell slots into whatever spells they cast. Spontaneously converting prepared spells does not make a spontaneous casting class.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It relies on a highly dodgy interpretation of what the rules actually say, that runs against both grammar and common sense. I seriously doubt that any DM would let you get away with that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you're looking for one ask your DM if you can be a sorcerer with the Wu Jen spell list, it's a lot different but not any better than a wizards/sorcerers. Or if you want to follow RAW, be a Wu Jen and multiclass sorcerer. After all, what spells can a wizard get that a sorcerer can't?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

If the party Wizard tried to pull that one on me, He'd find himself in a druidic forest suffering from a curious disease...[/Start of Darkness]

Playing it properly, Beguiler/Wizard seems to be the best bet, as it minimizes MAD. As for sorceror-only spells, there's a 5th Level Universal spell from complete mage that lets you simultaneously cast a fourth level spell and a first level spell you know.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

24. - Top - End - #24

Well, I've always felt that 3.5 D&D needed a hard and fast rule that you can only cast spells that a pure-caster with as many levels as you have Hit Die could cast. There are too many abilities and creatures that break that rule, e.g. Nymph's cast as 7th level Druids but have 6 HD and there are a lot of templates that grant SLAs for spells you couldn't cast if it were based on HD.

Yeah, there's not a lot of constraints on out of control caster power in 3.5, to put it bluntly. You'd really need to apply Rule 0 to make the Spontaneously Divining Ultimate Magus not work, because it's more or less RAW but not RAI.

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    If the party Wizard tried to pull that one on me, He'd find himself in a druidic forest suffering from a curious disease...[/Start of Darkness]
    So... the solution is becoming a lich, you say?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

So... the solution is becoming a lich, you say?
    The Wizard would then discover that he suffers from a congenital defect that allows virii to affect him even if he has become undead. No save.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Andras View Post
    Go for the gold, take levels in Ur-Priest.

Please, explain.
    I tried the exact same thing, and they showed me the FAQ and Sage rulings (which are very reasonable, as getting faster spell access for so little is absurdly powerful).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    I tried the exact same thing, and they showed me the FAQ and Sage rulings (which are very reasonable, as getting faster spell access for so little is absurdly powerful).
    Sage and FAQ have no bearing on RAW discussions.

RAW Spontaneous Divination should allow a wizard to qualify for Ultimate Magus. Whether or not you can get double caster progression is the debatable point.

RAI it's not supposed to be allowed.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

28. - Top - End - #28

It's funny that by RAW, Wizard/Nar Demonbinder has to use Spontaneous Divination to qualify for Ultimate Magus since UM requires the ability to cast level 1 Spontaneous Spells, something Nar Demonbinder does not provide. That said, in that case I wouldn't see a problem with it as it seems against RAI not to allow Demonbinder work anyways.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Full casting* (base) classes -

Spontaneous:
    Bard* (CHA)
    Beguiler (INT)
    Dread Necromancer (CHA)
    Duskblade* (INT)
    Sorcerer (CHA)
    Warmage (CHA)

Non-Spontaneous:
    Wizard (INT)
    Wu-jen (INT)

...did I miss any?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Well, if the Bard is on there, the Duskblade would deserve a spot too, wouldn't it?