New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Let's Play with Hotblooded Anime! (Super Robot Wars J)

Hm. I do like the idea of saving upgrades for G-Gundam...
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrobot View Post
    Most of them are Japan only but Omni vs Zaft 2, Gundam Generation (SRW for Gundams) and soon Gundam Musou 2 will let us use the pink pop princess to complete her transformation as Haman Karn.
    No. Even being a pilot would not turn her into the magnificent bitch that is Haman. If you want to bring games into it, at least one Super Robot Wars has Haman bitch slap Judau, Char, and Amuro simultaneously before telling them that she's going to show them just HOW one kills subterranean monster empires. I don't know which, but just look for the one where she's recruitable. If games are going in, Lacus can talk after backhanding an equivalent number of gods of an era.

And god forbid we mention her antagonist entry/entries. She took on Mazinger, Getter Robo, Grendizer, Great Mazinger, Char in the Sazabi, Amuro in the Nu, Judau, Seabook, Kamille... pretty much every hyper powerful person besides Vijaji, Sikalog, Agija, the other two guys, and Scirocco. Granted, she had lolzerfunnels, so she probably could have taken on everyone but Scirocco. Funnels and Bits are just lollerskates in that game.

And if SRW3 is anything like J (It probably isn't, if Nerd-o-rama is saying it's easy. Or I suck, I guess), it's probably best to give your favorite incoming pilots all the cash they earn post-arrival, and spend what you have on the here and now. But I'm speaking from the perspective of a hard game. If this game is easy for you, no sense in not-waiting though.

...I do vote on heavy upgrades on Domon and Allenby. Forget that Rain nonsense..
    Last edited by RPGuru1331; 2008-12-08 at 06:41 AM.
    Asok: Shouldn't we actually be working?
    And then Asok was thrown out of the car.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Is it so wrong to love Rain and Allenby? Ryoko and Yurika? Kaname and Tessa? Flay and Lac...no wait, I don't really like either of them. Mm, delicious Murrue.

Wow, there's a lot of love triangles in this game. But my point is, the great thing about being a fan rather than the main character is, you don't have to pick a side!

I'm getting a taste of a difficult SRW by playing SRW Alpha (speaking of love triangles, what genius decided to put like three Macross series into one game?), and I can say that upgrades don't matter nearly as much in J as they used to.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-12-08 at 06:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Is it so wrong to love Rain and Allenby? Ryoko and Yurika? Kaname and Tessa?
    Only if they don't find out about each other. Especially since there's a serious tsundere in each of those examples (Rain to a lesser extent, but G Gundam was made before tsundere became popular).

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it so wrong to love Rain and Allenby? Ryoko and Yurika? Kaname and Tessa? Flay and Lac...no wait, I don't really like either of them. Mm, delicious Murrue.
    Ah Murrue. Passable as a character, but also with much fanservice bouncing.

Wow, there's a lot of love triangles in this game. But my point is, the great thing about being a fan rather than the main character is, you don't have to pick a side!
    I just don't like Rain. Then again, I don't like Domon that much either, but it would make me a deviant to just single out Allenby..

I'm getting a taste of a difficult SRW by playing SRW Alpha (speaking of love triangles, what genius decided to put like three Macross series into one game?), and I can say that upgrades don't matter nearly as much in J as they used to.
    Good sir, I would like to repeat your question, in the interest of shaking that man's hand.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anyway, the SEED plot bits were equal parts Wikipedia and guesswork this time, so if I got something wrong, well...SRW is fanfiction, so whatever.
    In SEED, Fllay's dad is on a warship so he's a legitimate target and the civilian refugees are killed by 1 guy doing his own thing and aren't part of the ZAFT battle plan.

Coming up next time: as far as I can tell from Wiki, more senseless killing by the ZAFT Zeon folks! Weren't they supposed to be more sympathetic than the original Zeon? I'm not seeing it.
    Mainly its just that the SEED earth alliance is even worse and ZAFT has fewer Nazi traits (at least until the later half of the series but at that point their still more sympathetic than earth which is lead by actual Nazis).

Mm, delicious Murrue.
    Murrue's bounce would be hotter if it had only happened once.

WEAR A BRA WILL ON THE BRIDGE YOU DAFT WOMAN!

Murrue hooking up with Andrew was one of the good things about Destiny, so of course they had to ruin it by bringing back Fraga
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by RPGuru1331 View Post
    Ah Murrue. Passable as a character, but also with much fanservice bouncing.
    Just like the main characters in this game!
    Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    In SEED, Fllay's dad is on a warship so he's a legitimate target and the civilian refugees are killed by 1 guy doing his own thing and aren't part of the ZAFT battle plan.
    Hm. Obviously I'm missing out on some subtleties here. It's hard to tell what exactly is going on. Hell, I only had a clue thanks to Flay's use of katakana for Papa and her overuse of "!?" Would it have killed you to give the poor bastard a portrait or give his doomed ship a sprite, Banpresto?

Let it be noted for fairness that all of the civilian refugess were picked up by military vessels, so the bad guys shooting at them isn't totally uncalled for.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

As I recall it, Flay's dad was leading a military force out there, and he, obviously, gets shot, since they only have Moebius Mobile Armors, and not even their GM-class, Strike Daggers, out there. His command ship, I mean. Flay's all , and all , naturally. It was her daddy that just got killed by those damn, dirty zekes (Well, they are right now, in fairness. Backstreet Boys aside, anyway.) after all. Either her, or Natarle, gets it in her head to use Lacus, who is basically a princess (Inasmuch as the daughter of the.. head senator, was it?) can be one, as a hostage. They were going to continue that in perpetuity, then I believe it's Jesus who pulls a fast one and gets her released. I don't think she's a hostage yet, but that should be coming up. Obviously, Murrue, Mwu, and I imagine the rest of your Nadesico cast are Not Amused, but eh, do whatcha gotta to make Char(s?) go away.
    Last edited by RPGuru1331; 2008-12-08 at 08:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME ACTUALLY DO RESEARCH, dammit.

EDIT: Wikipedia tells me that her dad was a civvie, the Alliance's Vice Foreign Minister, who just happened to be on a warship at the time. Not a Heliopolis refugee.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-12-08 at 08:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME ACTUALLY DO RESEARCH, dammit.
    A thousand pardons. I thought you were actually curious.
    Still, I find it hilarioust hat Commander (Whatever his rank is) Allster is all "I WILL FIGHT YOU" with what amounts to an army of Balls. Unless you have an army of SHirous piloting them, that's just begging for trouble.
    Last edited by RPGuru1331; 2008-12-08 at 08:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

That was mostly sarcastic, but I assumed this LP would be more fun if I looked up as little as possible and just guessed my way through. But if I make particularly big errors thanks to cursory glances at Wikipedia, I'll correct them.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252

Still, I find it hilarioust hat Commander (Whatever his rank is) Allster is all "I WILL FIGHT YOU" with what amounts to an army of Balls. Unless you have an army of SHirous piloting them, that's just begging for trouble.
    Ah yes. I remember someone in /m/ said that he's going to beat every single mech in Gundam Battle Assault 2 using Shirou and his Ball of steel (that is, the joke character). I think he succeeded, only failing against big zam or that other mobile armor.

Fun game, one of the best gundam game out there.
    Last edited by Fri; 2008-12-09 at 04:50 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

13. - Top - End - #253

To be fair (well, there's nothing fair about it really), that is how every battle for the Earth Forces had been going in this war so far. All the ones that didn't involve them self-destructing their bases that is.

The Mobius are more fighters than Balls, though that probably makes them worse.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

14. - Top - End - #254

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

I only had to read the first two parts to know that it's
    Spoiler
    Show
    the (in-)famous robophile, Ryusei.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Phooey. There goes all my bonus material in one shot.

I'd be more inclined to play more if you guys gave me advice rather than arguing over plot points...eh, I'll just pick upgrades myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Then, as long as it's still early game, when nobody gives you any advice follow this:

If you have no trouble with enemies, don't bother with upgrades and hog money for better units.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-12-10 at 02:27 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be more inclined to play more if you guys gave me advice rather than arguing over plot points...
    HERESY! *gets the napalm*
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Ah yes. I remember someone in /m/ said that he's going to beat every single mech in Gundam Battle Assault 2 using Shirou and his Ball of steel (that is, the joke character). I think he succeeded, only failing against big zam or that other mobile armor.

Fun game, one of the best gundam game out there.
    Fantastic. Though I would think the Devil Gundam would be the winner, not the Neue Ziel or Big Zam. Ah well.

As for Upgrades, uh. I don't know everything on tha tlist, but I remembe rMAzinger being stupid powerful in 3. Then again, you don't have the wings yet, so wait on that. Or the Y-Type equipment, so not the Nadesico. If it goes into Prince of Darkness, not Akito either.. Combattler V was pretty good though.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Yeah. Apparently this game does not go into Prince of Darkness, which makes me very sad, because I dearly love the Black Serena. Fortunately, the vanilla Aestis are pretty good in this game, but still, it makes Akito seem a little lackluster, especially now that he can't use his combo attack. I wound up pumping up Mazinger Z to "2 in everything important" level. He seems to be quite generally useful throughout the game, even if he lacks long-range attacks until he upgrades to Mazinkaiser.

Finished up Mission 9, and will try to fit in a post between finals. Coming up: Tekkaman Blade plot! And a little bit of SEED angst, but that's expected by now.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Banned

I support Tengu's motion of holding off on upgrades until you either start feeling you need them or get some robots you genuinely want to see as being more awesome. And remember no matter what, the Aphrodite A and the...Blue Earth i think it is called, the Tekkaman support unit, should never have money spent on them. If something shoots at them then you are doing it wrong and they should restrict themselves to healing.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

On the contrary. A repair unit with a good dodge stat is an excellent way to soak up enemy fire. Especially after the Blue Earth gets it's ion cannon.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

In J, though, everything targets high-HP units. Better to beef up Granteed, Combattler, and Mazinger, especially the latter as it has the most long-range attacks.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    I support Tengu's motion of holding off on upgrades until you either start feeling you need them or get some robots you genuinely want to see as being more awesome. And remember no matter what, the Aphrodite A and the...Blue Earth i think it is called, the Tekkaman support unit, should never have money spent on them. If something shoots at them then you are doing it wrong and they should restrict themselves to healing.
    This would be my thinking as well.
    I tend towards "balanced stats" if/when you upgrade/level up/etc., but definitely play to the unit's strengths. I would say upgrade the weakest things on units if you've got money/parts/xp to kill, though. Like dodge on the Granteed, or whatnot.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

25. - Top - End - #265
    Bugbear in the Playground

I need to play Gundam Musou...anything with Domon, Zechs, and Puru doing the Undefeated of the East speech has got to be awesome.
    Oh hell no...

That game was ridiculously dull, even for me, and I'm a massive Army Slaghterer Game Fan happy to grind to my heart's content. All I remember is that moves are rather limited and it takes friggety forever to get anywhere (especially in space stages). Even playing Domon just so I could shout out GUNAM FIGHTAH!!! UREDDI GO!!! Still made it dull in my opinion.

Might just be me though...
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Minato: "It's a Christmas miracle!"
    Megumi: "But our Christmas episode isn't for, like, ten missions."

No useful updates for over three weeks...I bet you thought this was dead, huh? You must have forgotten it has Kira and Mu in it. Death is nothing!

Mission 9: Day of the Tentacle

Intro
    Spoiler
    Show

Screw the title, I have obscure adventure game references

Kai: "Man, that last mission was messed up. I couldn't even tell who was getting shot, but somebody died."
    Ryu: "Yeah. Hell, I thought this was supposed to be a comedy game!"
    Akito (in the distance): "Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!"
    Hayato: "Anyway, whatever we do, we can't tell Frau that Amuro is friends with one of the enemy Gundam pilots. She's on the verge of totally flipping out anyhow. Did you see the part last mission where she took over the radio and threatened to kill Lacus if the Zeon troops didn't hold fire?"
    Ryu: "No."
    Hayato: "Anyway, whatever we do, ixnay on the omolusthay between Amurohay and...Quve...mahey."

What these kids failed to consider, however, was that they were in a teen drama show, where all such conversations are immediately overheard.

Frau: "What the hell is omolusthay?"
    It...it means they're very good friends, Frau.
    Frau: "SONOFABITCHTRAITOR!"
    Er...

Bask: "So...using that Clyne girl as a hostage isn't such a bad idea, even if Crazyelle O'Crazyton thought it up, and we forgot to mention it last mission. She's the daughter of a Zeke senator, so we pretty much have a human shield all the way back to Earth."
    Bright: "I'm not so sure we can keep doing that. For one thing, the Nadesico crew started complaining about it. Apparently, Nergal is where the Federation military sends all its idealists to die in obscurity. And using innocent civilians as hostages is kind of a dick move."

Jun: "I also enjoy Miss Clyne's music. She's an excellent singer!"
    Bask: "She...sings? Let's just skip right past the inevitable J-pop."
    Bright: "Yeah. I get enough of that from our crappy opening theme song."
    Bask: "Hey. Wait. Aren't you a 20-year-old guy? Why are you listening to bubblegum pop music?"
    Jun: "Um...oh! Yeah, I was calling to tell you we were almost ready for atmospheric re-entry."

Jun: "See?"

Noal: "Hey. That guy we picked up in space is about to wake up."
    Aki: "Wait. Who's been taking care of him? This ship doesn't actually have a doctor. People could die of normally nonfatal gunshot wounds around here."
    Elizabeth: "Well, I'm not a medical doctor, but--"
    Anna: "Eek!"

In this scene, the coma guy grabs Anna and threatens her with a scalpel. See? Right there.

Mystery Guy: "Who are you and where the hell am I? Are you with the Radom?"
    Anna: "Do I look like a tentacle monster to you?"
    Noal: "Whoa, whoa, calm down. We found you out in space and we rescued you. We're all human here."
    Eiji: "I'm not!"
    Elizabeth: "You're not helping, Eiji."

Aki: "Just...calm down, okay?"
    Mystery Guy: "Well since a cute girl said it..."
    Anna: "Excuse me?"
    Aki: "Not the time, Anna. Anyway, dangerous boy, who are you? Where did you get the Power Rangers outfit?"
    Mystery Guy: "I...I don't remember. I don't remember anything but this: I must fight the aliens."
    Noal: "No, John, you are the aliens."

And then John was a toku hero.

Noal: "That is, we found you fighting the aliens out in space. Do you remember how you got there?"
    Mystery Guy: "No. I don't even remember my name."
    Noal: "Well, we can't keep calling you Mystery Guy or dangerous boy...hm. How about D-Boy?"
    Mystery Guy D-boy: "That's retarded."
    Aki: "Well, too bad, it's your name now. Now, settle down. You just woke up from a coma after all."
    D-boy: "Why the hell should I listen to...y...zzzzz..." *whump*
    Aki: "So...new meatshield?"
    Noal: "Sure, why not, he wants to fight the demons...er, aliens anyhow. If he can do that weird transformation thing again."

Meanwhile, back on White Base

Amuro: "Lacus...come on, we're getting out of here."
    Lacus: "Um. I should probably tell you I'm engaged. And that we're floating through a vacuum. It might not be the best place or time to."
    Amuro: "No, I mean I'm taking you back to the Zeon forces. Let's go, quick."

Kouji: "'sup?"
    Amuro: "Ah, Jesus Christ! Don't do that, I'm trying to be sneaky here. And it's already hard enough trying to be stealthy while leading a girl with neon pink hair."
    Combattler Red: "Relax, we're here to help, man."
    Combattler Blue: "We don't like the Feds' policy with Miss Clyne either."

Akito: "...so basically Amuro, if you're trying to avoid a woman so as not to get stabbed, it's important to vary your schedule and movement patterns. Become predictable and they'll find you. They'll always find you."
    Kai: "That's...not what we're here for, Akito. Anyway, at the risk of us getting shanked by Frau too, we've all decided to help you take Miss Clyne back."
    Lacus: "Really? I won't be constantly threatened with death anymore?"
    Kouji: "Only on the internet, but they hate everyone there."
    Kai: "You guys escort Amuro while he does the transfer - there's no reason for Char not to ambush us when we try this. I'll cover for you on the bridge."
    Amuro: "This is really nice of you, Kai. Especially since Frau is in a murdering mood, and aren't you engaged to her or something?"
    Kai: "Yeah, but I think I'm just going to drop that whole subplot. It's only important for angsting and dualism purposes anyway."

Char: "Hmhm. There's the Strike Gundam and friends, speeding toward us like self-propelled Christmas presents."
    Redshirt: "They're broadcasting a white flag signal, sir. They say they'll transfer Miss Clyne back to us if we hold our fire."
    Char: "...very well. Prepare the Zaku squads for sortie. We'll ambush them during the transfer."
    M'quve: "Uh, sir, I'm kinda engaged to Miss Clyne. It's a political thing, but I'd still rather not blow her up."
    Char: "Really? Hmph. Well, I guess you should be the one to go fetch her then. Keep her safe in that impressive Aegis of yours. I'm sure it can survive some friendly fire if it comes to that."
    M'quve: "...yes sir."

Bask: "YOU FIVE!"
    Combattler Yellow: "Nine."
    Bask: "YOU NINE! Who in God Sigma gave you permission to sortie?! WITH OUR HOSTAGE?!"

Amuro: "We're handing Lacus Clyne over to the Zeon forces."
    Kouji: "Yeah, you don't have any right to keep her hostage."
    Sayaka: "It's the right thing to do!"

Calvina: "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
    Blossom: "That they sound like pages out of a self-help booklet?"
    Calvina: "Yeah, but their hearts are all in the right place, so I hate to make fun. And military rules of engagement back them up."
    Bask: "Captain, are you just going to let your pilots get away with this?"

Yurika: "It's not right for the Federation to hold a civilian hostage. And besides, it's been terrible for morale. My poor Akito's been practically sick with ethical crisis, haven't you hon?"
    Akito: "No, I was sick when you and Megumi decided to make me dinner."
    Megumi: "Hey! I got that drink mix from Mikako Takahashi when we were working together in Alpha 3!"
    Ruri: "It's a whole new fourth wall we're destroying, people."
    Hikaru: "Seriously. That's such an oblique and tenuous reference I barely got it. Also, why didn't you cook him dinner, Ryoko?"
    Ryoko: "he ran away before I could give it to him...I mean, SHUT IT!"

Amuro: "..."
    M'quve: "..."
    M'quve: "So...any chance you'll defect? You are a space-native and a Newtype, after all. You should be on our side."
    Amuro: "What the hell is a Newtype?"
    M'quve: "Oh, damn. Sorry, I think I read ahead in the script by accident."

Lacus: "Bye, Amuro! It was nice meeting you! Thanks for not, y'know, killing me. Hi M'quve!"
    M'quve: "You know, this name's beginning to get a little thin. My sidekicks hardly matter--"
    Yzak: "HEY!"
    M'quve: "and I'm actually apparently attractive to women. Anyway, let's get you back to safety."

** Dozens of Zakus appear **

Amuro: "Man, I totally didn't see this coming."

Lacus: "Lieutenant Char! Those people released me of their own free will. As a Zeon high muckety-muck, I order you to spare them and give them a chance to get home. Pretty please?"
    Char: "Hmm..." * checks scanners *
    Char: "Very well, Miss Clyne, I promise that I will not harm one hair on their heads. Zeon, withdraw!"
    Lacus: "Yay!"

Ruri: "...wait, did they seriously just let us go? Idiots."
    Kouji: "See, Ensign Bask? I knew that playing nice politics would pay off. We've impressed Lacus enough that she pulled rank for us."

Erina: "In that case, what the hell is that?"

** Dozens of Radom appear **

Amuro: "Okay, this time I really didn't see it coming.

Combat
    Spoiler
    Show

They're huge! That must mean they have huge guts! RIP AND TEAR!

It's those nasty aliens again (as opposed to handsome aliens like Eiji). Combattler, Mazinger, Aphrodite, Akito's Aesti, and Strike are all out in the middle from the cutscene, and everyone else deploys at the south end.

With the joys of the Accel seishin on each of my battleships, it only takes a turn to have everyone meet up at a halfway point and form a reasonable defensive formation, while the alien mooks close in.

They're also nice enough to cluster up for me to do a chain attack, and Granteed pretty much one-shots them at this point.

Moving everybody forward means the battleships have to use there very limited post-movement weaponry (missile swarms and machineguns respectively), but they're still effective against mooks.

Akito: "Machine gun!"

Amuro: "Bigger machine gun!"

Combattler Red: "Giant electromagnetic children's toy!"
    Combattler Red: "...what?"

I split the team into two for efficient ripping and tearing, since these mooks die in like a hit, I have two battleships, and my guys divide into friendly squads fairly reasonably. I'm sure to spread around kills for XP and morale-gain purposes...especially since the counterattacks from White Base, Combattler, and Granteed pretty much insta-gib a half-dozen each.

Bright: "So...the main characters get ludicrous fanservicey Gainax-bounce cut-ins, and I don't? What the hell is up with that?"

Incidentally, Quattro in his dinky little fighter, when positioned next to the hit-attracting White Base, has an annoying habit of deciding to Support Defend the much larger, more tanky ship. While perfectly in character, it's still rather annoying to manually tell him not to every turn. Fortunately, J has a shortcut key (R-trigger) for changing Support options.

David: "Look guys, I'm a Zeta character. PUUUNCH!"

Eiji: "I thought Chars were supposed to kick the enemy."

Roan: "Man, this level is so easy, we're actually getting lines."

Basically, it's just punching through the initial wave of enemies until they're almost all gone, remembering as always to restock heavy ammo/EN users like Launcher Strike and Combattler V with Blue Earth.

D-boy: "Urgh...my Teknosense is tingling."
    Elizabeth: "Weren't you just collapsed on the floor?"

D-boy: "Must...get out...to space."
    Uribatake: "Uh, dude, you'll kinda die if you walk outside, and WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?"

IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!

Blade: "Tekkamaaan Blaaaaade!"
    Uribatake: "Okay, okay, you can go out through the hangar bay, jeez."
    Aki: "What..."
    Noal: "The heck?"
    ** More Radom warp in **
    Bask: "More Radom have warped in."
    Ruri: "Excuse me, but stating the obvious is my job."
    Tekkaman Dagger: "BLADE! You are a traitor to the Tekkamen! I will gut you personally."
    Blade: "Bah. The dub of this show had better taunts than that."
    Kouji: "I wish I had a dub. Even a Macek one'd be nice."
    Ruri: "Wait...Have we established what tekkamen are?"
    Noal: "Er, have we?"
    Blade: "I told you, I have amnesia."
    Calvina: "Tekkaman Blade. As long as we're fighting the same enemy, will you join us?"
    The Captains: "Please?"
    Blade: "Sure, why not?"
    Noal: "Great! I'll get you your W-2 for the Space Knights when we're done here."
    Dagger: "You sellout! Raaaagh!"
    Blade: "Raaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!"

Shouting notwithstanding, I can only move the guy in the general direction of Dagger this turn.

And cleave evil next turn. Blade's attacks hurt for a guy in a Power Rangers suit.

What follows is a similar beatdown to before.

Amuro: "I love this gun."
    Quattro: "Eh. Quantity has a quality all its own.

Though one difference is that the Radom have started using a different attack that, in addition to dealing damage, Slows my units, limiting them to 2 or 3 squares of movement. It's a pain, and Accel only does so much to get around it. Could be worse; they could be spamming Armor Breakers like those Einst bastards. As it is, it just means it's hard to move my Super Robots around, since they inevitably take a hit. Not really a problem for Granteed or Combattler, but Mazinger is decidedly lacking in good ranged attacks to make up for being slowed.

Sayaka: "Idiot."

I eventually get close enough to start thinking about ganging up on Dagger.

Who has a ****ton of HP for a guy in a Power Rangers costume.

He's also pretty dodgy, so I use my inaccurate Super Robots to smack down the rest of the mooks and pick away at him with my Reals (and Blade) using Focus and Combattler using the ever-so-useful Strike.

Blade: "If I'm Blade (singular), and you're Dagger, how come we both use double-swords?"

I end up with something like this for the last turn.

And something like this for the last attack. (Hooray for Bubbles' Aid and Hikaru's Luck)

Izumi: "And then it exploded."

Where was he carrying all this?

Conclusion
    Spoiler
    Show

Yurika: "Well that wasn't so bad."
    Bright: "No, that wasn't. However, it looks like Char also fired on a bunch of Jovian Chulips floating in orbit to get their attention and lured the resulting Grasshopper Rush onto our trail, not to mention even more Radam coming after us."
    Yurika: "Okay, that's pretty bad."

Uribatake: "Uh, hey there. Listen, you don't look so..."
    Blade: *whump*
    Sayaka: "Hey, he turned back into a regular dude again. Where did his clothes go? Where did they come back from?"
    Kouji: "Why are you so curious?"

Aki: "You alright D-boy?"
    D-boy: "Ugh. Is that Dagger guy dead?"
    Aki: "Well, he blew up pretty good."

Buttercup: "So...you're a Tekkaman?"
    D-boy: "Look, all I can remember is that I can turn into Tekkaman Blade, and I have to use this power to fight the other Tekkamen. Also, transforming for more than half an hour is a really bad idea for some reason."

Noal: "We wait 9 missions for our plot to start, and that's all you remember of it?"
    D-boy: "'fraid so."
    Noal: "Alright then, 'D-boy', but I've got my eye on you."

Ruri: "Uh, captain, remember all those aliens? They're right on top of us."
    Yurika: "Of course they are. That way, me and Lieutenant Bright can both do this!"

** EMERGENCY GRAVITY BLAST OF DEATH **

Minato: "We've finished the re-entry process, but the last attack through us way off course. I had to make some adjustments just to not burn up."
    Jun: "Yurika. We ended up in Africa."
    Yurika: "So? Close enough, right?"
    Jun: "We were aiming for Alaska."
    Yurika: "Oh."

Mirai: "...and that concludes my twelve-point presentation on why you should not castrate and murder Amuro."
    Frau: "Oh, fine. I won't murder him."

Meanwhile, thousands of miles away

Lacus: "How've you been, M'quve? I had fun on the Federation ships. I was on the one with a bunch of refugees, and I think the other one was some kind of heavily armed circus. The captains were both nice, but there was this redheaded girl I don't think liked me very much and..."
    M'quve: "Oy."

New Unit: Tekkaman Blade

Next mission: G Gundam, and putting a lot of spiffy new items and Skill Parts to work. This is how you know I'll update more promptly.

Merry Christmas everyone, and a special happy birthday to Kira Yamato.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-12-25 at 05:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Dammit, why must you force me to wake up people who need their sleep with my roaring laughter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

The Tekkamen... They don't scale! They don't scale at all!

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Asuka: "Hey how come Gunbuster isn't proportioned properly?"
    Trowa: "Nevermind that, why isn't *anything* proportioned properly?"

It happens. Heck, just standing an Aestivalis next to Combattler is bad enough.

Incidentally, while everything looks about the same size, mechanically, there are different size categories that affect hit and dodge rates in about the same way they do in d20 tabletop games.

SS - human-sized things, like Tekkamen and Full Metal Panic's secret unit
    S - small Real Robots like Arm Slaves and Aestivalises
    M - larger Real Robots like Gundams and smaller Super Robots like...Gundams.
    L - larger Super Robots like Combattler
    LL - Battleships
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-12-25 at 01:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I guess if they made the humans half the size of the mecha, as they do in the PS2 games (which would at least show they're much smaller than the robots), then it would be hard to see any details.

Also, make moar. Only one episode till
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-12-25 at 01:54 PM.

Spoiler
    Show