New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Mounted fighter build - Help

As this is the first post/thread I've ever made, I would just like to start by saying hello, and thanks for all the help you can provide me with, both in this thread and the ones hopefully to come.

The help I am in of is the following:

I would very much like the skilled people of the playgrunds help in statting out a 1st-10th level, full-fleshed fighter build, focused on mounted combat.
    32point buy, using only whats in the SRD, cause' I have yet to buy any books, due to the fact that I am not sure of how much time, and money, I am willing to spend on D&D, until I know if how much it captures me, so to speak.
    Regarding feats, skills, equiptment and whatnot, I have no requirements, just pick what you think would be beneficial.

Apart from the build itself, I also need help as to how I should play this characeter, meaning what tactics are useful. Also, I would really like it if you could tell me what power-level your respective builds are at.

I am aware that there is a thread for just this purpose, character creation that is, but because I also need advice on tactics an such, I felt that mixing it within that thread would be slightly confusing, if not on your part, then on mine. Once more, thank your for what help you can provide, criticism or otherwise.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mounted fighter build - Help

Well, you're going to want a lance (since lances multiply damage on a mounted charge), and you're most certainly going to want to take Power Attack and the entire Mounted Combat feat tree. I'd recommend going with an exotic mount--I prefer Giant Eagles, but Giant Owls and Rhinoceri work just as well (and remember, doing a diving charge adds another damage multiplier, so you deal x4 damage for a diving mounted lance charge with Spirited Charge, and any spare power attack damage is multiplied too!).

3. - Top - End - #3

Well, lance it is, then.
    Do you think you could help me statting out the character, feat by feat, and so on, too? That would be much appreciated!
    That includes gear, and mount cost, if you can help me with that too.

4. - Top - End - #4

For feats, I'd suggest the weapon focus line. It's useful for, well, dealing damage if you're only using one weapon all the time. But remember to keep another weapon handy. If your mount aren't around, you can't really put a lance to good use. For gear, just get the nastiest enhancements to your weapon that you can get and a set of armor for you and your mount; I've too often seen people neglecting their mount. Also, get your hands on some strength boosting items like Belt of Giant Strength. There's nothing really complicated that fighters tend to need except for those and general all-around items, which everyone can use.

And welcome to the Playground, Edwin. Nice to see another Dane around. Except for myself, you're the first Dane I've seen on these forums.

5. - Top - End - #5

Yeah, as I figured going for weapon focus and specialization (I assume you meant that too, correct) would be good, cause' one can always use a better to-hit chance, yes?
    And as for the second weapon, I was thinking of getting myself a longsword and a shield? Thanks for the help, by the way.

Oh, and god bless Denmark, as our dear queen would say.

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfClericGuy

Stats on a 32 PB:
    Str: 16
    Con:14
    Dex:14
    Wis:10
    Int: 14
    Cha:10
    - I prefer balance. Being a Rider means wanting a high ride skill so extra skill points are nice, and you'll be getting so many multipliers that not starting with an 18 Strength is acceptable. If you're the power-gaming type go -2 CHA, -1 INT, +1 strength to set up for the 18 at level 4 option. Racial-wise, Human is probably preferred but pretty much any non-small race would be fine.

Level 1: Mounted Combat (1st), Power Attack (Fighter), Improved Initiative (Human)
    Level 2: Ride-by Attack (Fighter)
    Level 3: Spirited Charge (2nd Feat)
    Level 4: +1 strength, Improved Overrun (Fighter)
    Level 5: Dead level
    Level 6: Weapon Focus: Lance (Fighter), Trample (3rd Feat)
    Level 7: Dead Level
    Level 8: +1 strength, Weapon Specialization: Lance
    Level 9: Improved Critical: Lance
    Level 10: ???

- More than 8 levels of Fighter is sort of a waste in core, and at level 9 and further I'd recommend taking levels of Ranger, going archery style, and taking Mounted Archery at level 12. Ranger gives you more skill points and easier mount taming/training thanks to Handle Animal + Wild Empathy. That build looks solid though: You can move anywhere on the battle field, and when you charge you get a huge boost. Even if standing still and taking a full attack, you get +1 attack, +2 damage, and double threat with your lance. You can even do some battlefield control thanks to Overrun + Trample to knock people around and squash them with your Rhino mount. Hope that helps!

7. - Top - End - #7

First of all, thank you so much for that. Much, much appreciated!

Secondly, think you might be able to help me a little with something else?
    Namely, I cant seem to locate how much gold one would have at 10th level? Or any other level, for that matter. Think you can help me with that?

And third, I know, or atleast thats what I keep reading, that fighters generally suck in accordance to other classes, in particular spellcasting classes, even with Tome of Battle, they'll be worse off.
    On the note of multiclassing to ranger, I understand that it'll probaly screw me a little less than full-fighter, but apart from the extra skill points, I am not sure I can see the benefit, considering that I am not really so much into ranged combat. Not with this character, anyway. But if you think it'll be important further on, I might end up doing it anyway.

Thanks in advance!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Greetings, comrade Edwin. Welcome.

Try being a strongheart halfling. That way, you can have an extra feat at first level and be small sized. The primary advantage for a mounted warrior? You can take your mount indoors.

Feats to take?
    1. Animal Cohort, Mounted Combat, Ride-by Attack
    2. Spirited Charge
    3. Short Haft
    4. Power Attack

6. Weapon Focus

8. Weapon Specialization

10. Greater Weap-Spec... that or Trample

Animal Cohort gives you, well, just that. An animal companion whose abilities scale with yours as you level.

The next three feats should give you unparalleled mobility and power while mounted and using a lance. The lance, combined with Spirited Charge, deals triple damage. Ride-by Attack lets you sweep past your targets WITHOUT drawing AoOs. Mounted Combat lets you ignore a single attack against your trusty steed.

Short Haft lets you attack with the lance even opponents that have come right up in your face--- as in, you can fight foes adjacent to you while using the lance which is a reach weapon.

Power Attack sacrifices bits of attack bonus for damage. It's worth it when you're charging and by then, your weapon already has buffs and you can get your casters to buff you even more with Bull's Strength or Aid or Inspire Courage or Heroism, thus cranking out even more damage.

Thus, a general strategy for a mounted fighter with a lance would be fighting in the manner of guerrillas, using hit-and-run tactics. Charge and strike, ride past, turn and repeat until the target is obliterated. If you get cornered, or your enemies catch up to you and start laying on the hurt, you can stand and fight because you can shorten the grip on your haft and bash and stab away.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

9. - Top - End - #9

That's interesting. Are you saying that if I'm small-sized, I'll be able to take my mount indoors? That sounds awesome!
    It'll solve the problem of not being able to stay mounted inside caverns an' stuff.(if you aren't allowed to do that, that is)

Quick question: If I were to say, take a full-round action, and do a charge, a lance would do triple the rolled damage, if I also had the Spirited Charge feat, yes? Now, if I did that, would my mount then also get an attack, like it does while using the overrun special attack along with the Trample feat?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I suppose that would depend on your DM. RAW... I don't rightly know. Sorry.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

11. - Top - End - #11

Ah, okay. That would've been cool, though.
    Thanks anyway.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If your'e a halfling riding, for example, a trained riding dog, you could go inside dungeons. You'd still be best in wide open areas where you can use your maneuverability to your best advantage.

Now, you certainly want a lance for your primary weapon here. Unfortunetally, lances are reach weapons, so once your in close-quarters combat they become useless. I reccomend you get a Spiked Sheild and Improved Sheild Bash as a backup. A little extra AC is always good, and it makes a functional backup weapon. If you find yourself unable to charge frequently, pick up a Longsword or a Warhammer or something instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Nexus was refering to this particular feat: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a . (While Wild Cohort isn't as good as a Druid's companion, a feat called Natural Bond would help, if I remember correctly.)

EDIT: That would only be useful for a multi-class Druid looking at the feat.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-11-05 at 03:39 PM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Riding dog you say? I sort of find that a little too.. un-cool, unless its a wolf-dog type, of course.
    And I am definitely going to carry a backup weapon for close combat, only concern I have about that is being forced to spend a feat on quick draw, if that is at all needed? And thanks.

Also, can someone please answer the question about the money, and about wether or not my mount will get an attack should I charge? (As it does with the Trample feat and the overrun attack.) Look further up if you missed it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think you'd need to pay anything for the animal if you take Wild Cohort. I'm not sure about the other questions, though.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Riding dog you say? I sort of find that a little too.. un-cool, unless its a wolf-dog type, of course.
    And I am definitely going to carry a backup weapon for close combat, only concern I have about that is being forced to spend a feat on quick draw, if that is at all needed? And thanks.

Also, can someone please answer the question about the money, and about wether or not my mount will get an attack should I charge? (As it does with the Trample feat and the overrun attack.) Look further up if you missed it.
    Riding dogs are generally considered to be wolf-dog things, though there are exceptions.
    The reason I suggested a Spiked sheild (Or spiked armor) is that you don't need to worry about quick-draw. You already have your sheild or armor on, it's just you are now using it to kill people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #17

The problem with that angle is that I am limited to what's in the SRD at the moment, and unless I missed it, it is not in the SRD. Would have been a great way to obtain it, though, and I am sure that would have provided me with a larger amount of mounts to choose from?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    Stats on a 32 PB:
    - I prefer balance. Being a Rider means wanting a high ride skill so extra skill points are nice, and you'll be getting so many multipliers that not starting with an 18 Strength is acceptable. If you're the power-gaming type go -2 CHA, -1 INT, +1 strength to set up for the 18 at level 4 option. Racial-wise, Human is probably preferred but pretty much any non-small race would be fine.

Level 1: Mounted Combat (1st), Power Attack (Fighter), Improved Initiative (Human)
    Level 4: +1 strength, Improved Overrun (Fighter)
    Level 10: ???

- More than 8 levels of Fighter is sort of a waste in core, and at level 9 and further I'd recommend taking levels of Ranger, going archery style, and taking Mounted Archery at level 12. Ranger gives you more skill points and easier mount taming/training thanks to Handle Animal + Wild Empathy. That build looks solid though: You can move anywhere on the battle field, and when you charge you get a huge boost. Even if standing still and taking a full attack, you get +1 attack, +2 damage, and double threat with your lance. You can even do some battlefield control thanks to Overrun + Trample to knock people around and squash them with your Rhino mount. Hope that helps!

I would keep his stat line:

Change some feats around though

Level 1: Mounted Combat (1st), Power Attack (Fighter)
    Level 4: +1 strength, Two Weapon fighting(Fighter
    Level 10: Improved two weapon fighting

Go halfling get a riding dog... a lance , and get full plate with get armour spikes. Also a shield.

I took out improved overrun because i don't think it helps while mounted as your pets doing the overrunning...

Also you'll want to pick up a +1 lance with some other effect like flaming or what not. and gauntelets of ogres power.

Edit: you can two weapon fight with a two handed weapon and spike armour... forgot lances where reach weapons.
    so scratch the two weapon fighting and pick up some random feats
    Last edited by RagnaroksChosen; 2008-11-05 at 03:49 PM.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Along the lines of Wild Cohort ... are you allowed any Feats, as long as they're available online?

Because I came up with a pretty sweet Human Fighter mounted combat build, no multiclassing. But it uses almost no feats from the PHB:

"Splatbooking the Classic Knight"
    Human Fighter 20
    L1: Shield Specialization, Shield Ward, Mounted Combat
    L2: Ride-By Attack
    L3: Wild Cohort
    L4: Spirited Charge
    L6: Improved Shield Bash, Agile Shield Fighter
    L8: Martial Study (shield block)
    L9: Endurance
    L10: Martial Stance (thicket of blades)
    L12: Steadfast Determination, Defensive Sweep
    L14: Trample
    L15: Power Attack
    L16: Cavalry Charge
    L18: Martial Study (wall of blades), Martial Study (iron heart surge)
    L20: Mage Slayer

All feats (except Wild Cohort, which is on a WotC web site, and Martial Stance/Study, which would actually require the ToB to use anyway) are available for viewing at Realms Helps.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2008-11-05 at 03:49 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

20. - Top - End - #20

Wealth by Level is on page 135 of the DMG. It's not allowed to be released on the internet or anything though, which is why it's not on the SRD.

You can choose any medium animal as your mount that would make sense and has a good move speed, hence why riding dog was suggested. A small pony would work too. The comical factor only matters so much, because your enemies only laugh as long as they aren't skewered (Which isn't a very long stretch of time indeed.)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Two weapon fighting is useless for a mounted fighter. The idea is to charge as often as possible, which means no two weapon attacks for you

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

That's interesting. Are you saying that if I'm small-sized, I'll be able to take my mount indoors? That sounds awesome!
    It'll solve the problem of not being able to stay mounted inside caverns an' stuff.(if you aren't allowed to do that, that is)
    You'll need to ride a medium creature (like a pony or a riding dog) instead of a large one (like a horse), but it's generally considered more effective.

Quick question: If I were to say, take a full-round action, and do a charge, a lance would do triple the rolled damage, if I also had the Spirited Charge feat, yes? Now, if I did that, would my mount then also get an attack, like it does while using the overrun special attack along with the Trample feat?
    You'd only be able to do the overrun if you yourself had Ride-By Attack, since you'd need to go through your opponent to trigger trample. In general, though, mounts get just as many actions as their riders.

23. - Top - End - #23

What if you dual wield and get Dual Strike? Does Dual Strike not let you attack with both weapons on a charge? It's kind of ambiguous.

Charging with two big lances outstretched from a dog with a high pitched "DIIIIEEE!!!" seems hilariously dangerous to me.

24. - Top - End - #24

RagnaroksChosen: I am kind of attached to the idea of a halfling riding a dog dealing divine asskicking with a lance, so you know what? I think I am gonna go with that one. Thank you very much.

Draz: I have not found a dm yet, so right now I am just creating my character, and I'll get back to searching for a PbP game when I am done with that. Although, if feats found on the web will fly with whoever I find, I'll check out that build of yours. Thanks.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    You'll need to ride a medium creature (like a pony or a riding dog) instead of a large one (like a horse), but it's generally considered more effective.

You'd only be able to do the overrun if you yourself had Ride-By Attack, since you'd need to go through your opponent to trigger trample. In general, though, mounts get just as many actions as their riders.
    So, if i had Ride-by Attack, Tramble and then made an overrun attack, my mount would get to make an attack, right?
    Then what if I had those same feats, and then charged someone, or something, would my mount still get to make an attack?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

I know you want Core only, but this is an SRD only build. I've noticed that many DMs say Core when they mean SRD (or free material in general), or vice verses. If it's not useful to you I apologize. But if it is useful, then you might want to consider using a Knight instead. Far more useful and powerful, same basic tactics.

Halfling Fighter 10

When it comes to feat selection in general, I highly suggest that you avoid feats that provide a minor static bonus, such as Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization. Instead, look for feats that provide a scaled bonus, an extra attack, or a special ability you can't otherwise gain cheaply from a magic item. You get much more bang for your buck that way. Here are my level by level suggestions:

1 - Mounted Combat, Ride by Attack
    2 - Spirited Charge
    3 - Cleave
    4 - Combat Reflexes
    5 - dead level
    6 - Leadership, Stand Still
    7 - dead level
    8 - Power Attack
    9 - Hold the Line
    10 - Item Familiar

This build gives you three things - high damage, battlefield control, and mobility. You get high damage from using a lance two handed with Spirited Charge and Power Attack - you also get extra attacks from Cleave, and Hold the Line. You get mobility from being a small character riding a medium sized mount using Ride by Attack every round. When you get Leadership, you can pick something interesting like a giant spider or a dragon. You get battlefield control from Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, and Hold the Line. Put them together with a good Dex, and your enemies will have a ridiculous time getting near you.

Use hit and run tactics. Avoid the urge to make a Full Attack. It's a lot less effective compared to the damage you'll get from a *3 lance attack, with the potential bonus attack from Trample and Hold the Line (since your enemies will often have to Charge you to get close).

Also, Overrun requires a Standard Action to use. You cannot use it as part of a Charge attack, which requires a Full Round Action. Thus a build that depends on Spirited Charge should never use it. A common house rule is that a mount may Overrun as part of a Charge. But this is a house rule.
    Last edited by Person_Man; 2008-11-05 at 07:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

So, if i had Ride-by Attack, Tramble and then made an overrun attack, my mount would get to make an attack, right?
    Then what if I had those same feats, and then charged someone, or something, would my mount still get to make an attack?
    Yes on both counts.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Two weapon fighting does work, if you get the pounce ability or a PrC I saw that gave two weapon attacks as a standard action. Esp. since you can wield a lance one handed while mounted. Might be worth a dip into something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Two weapon fighting does work, if you get the pounce ability or a PrC I saw that gave two weapon attacks as a standard action. Esp. since you can wield a lance one handed while mounted. Might be worth a dip into something.
    He, uh, said CORE-ONLY. There is no pounce in core-only, aside from, y'know, wildshape.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

RagnaroksChosen: I am kind of attached to the idea of a halfling riding a dog dealing divine asskicking with a lance, so you know what? I think I am gonna go with that one. Thank you very much.

Draz: I have not found a dm yet, so right now I am just creating my character, and I'll get back to searching for a PbP game when I am done with that. Although, if feats found on the web will fly with whoever I find, I'll check out that build of yours. Thanks.
    Ya i would just subtract the two weapon fighting im at work and only half thinking... i would however get + str stuff and make sure your party caster has spider climb or a wand of spiderclimb charging from the ceiling while being a halfling.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.