New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monk help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Monk help

So, in an online campaign I am playing a level 3 scout level 1 monk. It is a very skill monkey focused campaign and I suspect there might be some pvp.

We each have 5,400 gold pieces and I have no idea what to buy. any ideas?
    DEGENERATION 93: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.
    IRRITATION 11: If this is the hundreth time you see one of these dumb things, add a number to the Irritation and put it in your signature. This is a flip-off to social experiments.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Monk help

That's an odd combination. What are you trying to achieve with the character? What's your core concept or focus?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

More information is needed. What books are available? What do your ability scores look like? What role are you trying to play with this character?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

[obligatory]Monks suck. Play an unarmed Swordsage instead.[/obligatory]
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

You have 3 levels of not monk and only 1 level of monk... why are you asking for monk help in particular? Just take the +2 bonus to all saves and walk away IMO.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    [obligatory]Monks suck. Play an unarmed Swordsage instead.[/obligatory]
    You know, you could try being helpful rather than acting like you're twelve.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Why? It's the most helpful advice he'll get in this thread.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thornhill View Post
    You know, you could try being helpful rather than acting like you're twelve.
    In case the tags weren't obvious enough, I was joking. Every time a monk help thread comes up, someone suggests that as if it's the only reasonable solution and anybody who doesn't do it is stupid.

You might want to get your sarcasm meter checked.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't agree Monty - we also suggest K and Frank's rewrite!

So, you've got money burning a whole in your pocket and nowhere to spend it, huh? You could always get some partially charged wands ...

Seriously, though, we need to know your goals. Otherwise we won't know what items would help you.
    Last edited by streakster; 2008-11-09 at 02:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Actually, depending on the campaign, a one-level monk dip isn't that bad. it gives you a decent unarmed attack if the campaign is one where it will be good to be able to fight without weapons, it gives your saves a nice boost, you can take Stunning Fist or Improved grapple, either of which could be useful. And you don't really lose much by wearing armor, so it's all good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree that it's a good dip (on the other hand, I've even seen arguments for CW Samurai being a useful dip in certain cases, so that's not saying much), but that's not really a monk any more than a Fighter 1/Wizard 19 is a fighter.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Two levels of monk makes a great dip, but an XP drag. Although for most people, it doesn't factor in, so...
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I like the barbarian dip myself, but Monk is handy. You might see if the DM will let you have Raging Monk instead of the standard. Flurry of Blows is worth the loss. Wild Monk will make the DM tear his hair out around level 4, where it get's Wild Shape.

Are you fighting ranged or melee? If ranged, consider swapping out the monk for barbarian, or going another two levels of monk. Every bit of range is helpful, especially with Skirmish and later on when fighting casters.

Amulet's of Natural Armor are useful. They push your AC without increasing your armor weight. Consider bracers that let you cast greater magical weapons. Are you expecting to need to ambush enemies? Cloak/Boots of Elvenkind are helpful then.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I like the barbarian dip myself, but Monk is handy. You might see if the DM will let you have Raging Monk instead of the standard. Flurry of Blows is worth the loss. Wild Monk will make the DM tear his hair out around level 4, where it get's Wild Shape.

Are you fighting ranged or melee? If ranged, consider swapping out the monk for barbarian, or going another two levels of monk. Every bit of range is helpful, especially with Skirmish and later on when fighting casters.

Amulet's of Natural Armor are useful. They push your AC without increasing your armor weight. Consider bracers that let you cast greater magical weapons. Are you expecting to need to ambush enemies? Cloak/Boots of Elvenkind are helpful then.
    Dragon magasine ?
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm pretty sure this thread was about magic items, not class choices. I don't think it's that bad myself. A third level scout gets a speed bonus, and a monk will start to get them. Spring attack and the scout skirmish bonuses will work well together in the future. And monks have a lot of anti-backstab traits for the possible pvp.

For magic items I always go for more AC first. It's usually more cost effective that increasing your attack bonus and I'm a very defensive player, even moreso if I thought the other players might turn on me.

So what I would get for pretty much any character:
    Amulet of natural armor +1 (1000)
    Bracers of armor +1 (1000)
    Cloak of resistance +1 (1000)
    Ring of protection +1 (2000)

So +3 ac +1 to all saves. Spend the rest on some skill-boosting gear. I might, depending on the campaign, get rid of something for Hand of the Mage, infinite mage hand can be very, very useful if well applied.
    Last edited by Captain Six; 2008-11-09 at 05:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Give him an item that can cast mage armour on demand. Low AC is the bane of all monks and mage armour is a very helpful spell. I'm a bit vague on the rules for magical item creation so I'm not sure what the cost will be, if you have enough left over get something that casts another protective spell on demand like shield of faith or protection from evil.

17. - Top - End - #17

DwarfFighterGuy

Well..... Mega tumbling to get around my enemy to get to the head guy grapple him stun him murder his face.
    My stats are: 16, 14, 14, 12, 12, 10
    Tumbling around someone counts as moving 10 ft if I am not mistaken so rolling a three or better means I get a + 1d6 dam and +1 to AC
    The only allowed classed are: Bard, Rogue, Spelltheif, Ninja, Monk, Scout
    Sources allowed: Core, Expanded Psi, Complete Adventurer (laaaaaame)
    Note: I want to get my DM get to allow a astetic feat to get some scout monk synergy!
    DEGENERATION 93: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.
    IRRITATION 11: If this is the hundreth time you see one of these dumb things, add a number to the Irritation and put it in your signature. This is a flip-off to social experiments.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

If XPH is in play, why are the classes so limited? Also, XPH is still Core, so that's redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Also, XPH is still Core, so that's redundant.
    No, it's not. Core is PHB, DMG & MM1. Most of it is, however, OGC, so it's allowed to be put in the SRD. At least, that's my understanding of it.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    No, it's not. Core is PHB, DMG & MM1. Most of it is, however, OGC, so it's allowed to be put in the SRD. At least, that's my understanding of it.
    Complete Psionics refers to XPH as Core.
    Most people think it is a misspeak (they didn't mean to say it, but they did). Never errataed.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

No game should ever be played with less than the whole SRD though :/ I mean, XPH and ELH add, to normal classes:
    Greater Manyshot
    Stand Still
    Improved Multiweapon Fighting
    Greater Multiweapon Fighting
    Reckless Offense
    Improved Flyby Attack
    Improved Multiattack

I mean, all those feats should've been in PHB or MM. And that's just off the top (there's a huge number of handy, but less-than-optimal feats in XPH like Open Minded, Mind over Body, Rapid Metabolism, Cloak Dance, etc. that still address points PHB simply forgot to include feats for).

I mean, Greater Manyshot really just serves to make Manyshot do something (in other words, Rogues around the world enjoy and someone might actually pick that feat voluntarily). Stand Still actually enables non-Spiked Chain melee builds to control area. Reckless Offense isn't that impressive, but still, classes like Barbarian and Fighter have feats to burn and the effect fits perfectly into Barbarian's mindset and has its uses for Fighters too. And all the monster feats are pretty much autoincludes for the Monster section since they simply make some combat styles work for higher level games.

And a feat that gives skills and a feat that increases Healing Rate and Ability Restoration Rate are both so basic that it's simply shocking they forgot to include them in PHB.

So people, do yourselves and everyone you play with a service and at least allow non-Psionic parts of SRD in every single friggin' game you ever play (heck, epic feats and non-epic monster feats make high HD monsters with lots of feats actually scary).

Oh yeah, and if at all possible, allow Psionics too. 'cause Psionics change everything - for the better (XPH is a much better written book than PHB).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfFighterGuy

I think the SRD is allowed fortunatly....

23. - Top - End - #23

I recomend Scout 3/Monk 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Ranger 15 with Swift Hunter and swapping out your domains for Devotion feats (namely Travel and Knowledge devotion). Get the Animal Domain and use PrC Ranger to get Full BAB while you are at it, as everyone loves Divine Power.

Use TWFing with Sai's or another light Monk weapon to get the most out of your Skirmish damage+Travel Devotion feat.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    I recomend Scout 3/Monk 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Ranger 15 with Swift Hunter and swapping out your domains for Devotion feats (namely Travel and Knowledge devotion). Get the Animal Domain and use PrC Ranger to get Full BAB while you are at it, as everyone loves Divine Power.

Use TWFing with Sai's or another light Monk weapon to get the most out of your Skirmish damage+Travel Devotion feat.
    Ranger requires a BaB of +4. If you're not using fractional BAB, this character will have a BAB of +2 at level four. Even if you are using fractional BAB, this guy will have +3. So the build is not legal.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DUSUCK View Post
    So, in an online campaign I am playing a level 3 scout level 1 monk. It is a very skill monkey focused campaign and I suspect there might be some pvp.

We each have 5,400 gold pieces and I have no idea what to buy. any ideas?
    Well, I did a build once... (seriously, follow the link below and check the level 1-4 monk entries, there are suggestions there for items to take).

Preview:
    - masterwork items providing +2 circumstance bonus to skills- check with your DM what items he allows for what skills. Mostly they are only 50gp each.
    - also check whether you can spend more than 25% on one item.
    - with preparing spell casters in the group, a pearl of power level 1 greatly enhances the group's versatility and can net you a good 4-hour buff spell (mage armour).
    - the beads of bless for 600gp are a bargain (provides +1 to hit morale bonus 1/day for the group via casting of bless)
    - otherwise, the Magic Item Compendium has plenty of non-core items, and some are also very cheap for their effects.

- Giacomo

26. - Top - End - #26

Don't forget to ask about being able to buy partially charged wands.

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Giacomo View Post
    Well, I did a build once... (seriously, follow the link below and check the level 1-4 monk entries, there are suggestions there for items to take).

Preview:
    - masterwork items providing +2 circumstance bonus to skills- check with your DM what items he allows for what skills. Mostly they are only 50gp each.
    - also check whether you can spend more than 25% on one item.
    - with preparing spell casters in the group, a pearl of power level 1 greatly enhances the group's versatility and can net you a good 4-hour buff spell (mage armour).
    - the beads of bless for 600gp are a bargain (provides +1 to hit morale bonus 1/day for the group via casting of bless)
    - otherwise, the Magic Item Compendium has plenty of non-core items, and some are also very cheap for their effects.

- Giacomo
    Thank you sir amazingly useful!

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by DUSUCK View Post
    Thank you sir amazingly useful!
    Please let us know how it goes; it will be nice to have some data on this for once.

29. - Top - End - #29

Lightbulb Re: Monk help

I'd say go for a doughnut as the first purchase! You will have a lot of gp left after purchasing it, and you have just picked up a portable hole! Oh, and always ask if they have any "...of doom" left. If they haven't then just buy one with chocolate coating and coconut pieces sprinkled on top instead.

Next thing you ought to get is a herring, because beating a minotaur to death with a fish is priceless! (It also qualifies for flurry of blows!)

The last thing I would advice you to get is a watch, in case you need to stop time!

Good luck on your adventures!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget your towel!
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue