New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Kicking around an idea: Game based on 'The Lost Room'

Title.

The Lost Room is probably my favorite miniseries of all time, and recently it occurred to me that it could potentially make for a very nifty setting for a roleplaying game.

What I'm contemplating at the moment is what system would be ideal for this task. My knowledge of games geared toward modern era play is limited, but my current favorite pick would probably be nWoD Mortals.

On the off chance that anyone here is familiar with the show, any input as to what you think would make for the best representation of the system?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Kicking around an idea: Game based on 'The Lost Room'

I think the basic nWoD rule set would serve you well. It might be useful to check out the Second Sight and (especially) The Relic source books.

The Relic source book has some good guidelines for the use and creation of special items (Relics or whatever you want to call them) for use in nWoD. The items from the show would fall in that broad zone and you'd be able to make addition ones using the given systems or take example ones and apply them to the setting.

Second Sight has rules for mortal abilities like ESP, Mediums, and Knetics as well as "low magic". It also has an excellent collection of information on alien beings. Not ET aliens but more along Lovecraft lines of Things That Should Not Be. Even if you don't want a specific being, giving the Room itself some of the characteristics listed in the product would be hand from a game mechanics angle.
    "Buddy, if I bothered to think like that would I be standing here today with an octopus-god larva growing out of my neck?"
    Suh'Zahne, Cultist of Ur

"Since things can't possibly get any worse, Red Mage, we turn to you."
    "Prepare to be proved wrong!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

That's perfect. I'm not overly familiar with nWoD, and was not familiar with those titles. Thanks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Sounds familiar (link related).