New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5] Paladin spellcasting Prc

Are there any official PRC's that can grant paladins higher spell casting levels. I kinda need 7th level spells.
    The game doesn't start until you reach epic levels.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [3.5] Paladin spellcasting Prc

Well, what you can do is be a cleric, and take the presitige paladin class from Unearthed Arcana.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Or just be a Lawful Good cleric and call yourself a paladin, if you're going to do that...
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

there's a class in CD that does this I think. kind of like the ur priest

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Complete Divine has the Divine Crusader, though it only gets spells from one domain unless you take levels in other PrCs that grant additional domains.

Something like Cleric 4/ Figher 1/ Prestige Paladin 5/ Contemplative 10 would get 9th level spells by 20.

Just making a LG Cleric with the War domain and calling it a Paladin is probably your best option.

6. - Top - End - #6

Divine Crusader spells don't stack with paladin spells.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser_Cain View Post
    Divine Crusader spells don't stack with paladin spells.
    Nothing stacks with Paladin spells, you can never get anything higher than 4th level spells with the Paladin spellcasting progression. You'll need to get spellcasting from another class to get what you want.

8. - Top - End - #8

I'll explain myself I seem to remember there being a way to get higher level spells for bards and I'm just looking for something like that for a Paladin.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I don't understand. Do you mean higher level spell slots, so that you can use metamagic? Or actual higher level spells?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll explain myself I seem to remember there being a way to get higher level spells for bards and I'm just looking for something like that for a Paladin.
    You could turn Sublime Chord into a Divine version(it would have to be homebrew, meaning you need DM ok). That or Ur-Priest is your only option.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Sublime Chord doesn't actually improve Bard casting. It's an entirely separate casting progression that starts at 4th level. You could just as easily get it with Bard 1 / Wizard 9 or any other combination that gets bardic music and 3rd level spells.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Lemme guess, Pheonix Fire from BoED right?
    Best spell for a paladin ever.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Lemme guess, Pheonix Fire from BoED right?
    Best spell for a paladin ever.
    Nope, just trying to qualify for Hierophant.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Why not just go cleric or something? It doesn't seem like youre worried about multiclassing restrictions.

15. - Top - End - #15

I'm funny that way I guess. Cleric takes me further from the character concept.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Might Favoured Soul fit the character concept better?

17. - Top - End - #17

Paladins can't become Hierophants, the high spell level was made like that so only Clerics and druids can achieve it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin 7/Divine Crusader 7 would get you there at ECL 14. That's probably the easiest way to get into Hierophant.

Paladin variant 4/Something Else 1/Ur Priest 7 could get there earlier at ECL 12. Somethign Else needs a good will save, such as Duskblade or Knight. Anti-Paladin, Corruptor, Despot (Dragon #312), Enforcer (Dragon #320), Paladin of Tyranny, or Paladin of Slaughter (Unearthed Arcana) could work if you need something evil.

There is a third way: Paladin 6/Chameleon 3 and then either a level in Bard (w/ Devoted Performer feat, CAdv), Virtuoso (CAdv), or Warrior Skald (Races of Faerun) lets you qualify for Sublime Chord. 5 levels of that, and you have 7th level spells at ECL 15.

19. - Top - End - #19

That doesn't still work because Sublime Chord spellcasting is arcane, not divine, so it doesn't qualify you for Hierophant.
    Divine crusader is probably your best bet, along with levels in something that gives you extra domains (such as seeker of the misty isle or contemplative. ).
    Why do you want Hierophant in the first place?
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    That doesn't still work because Sublime Chord spellcasting is arcane, not divine, so it doesn't qualify you for Hierophant.
    Sorry, missed that. Take Alternative Source Spell (from Dragon #325) to prepare your arcane spells as divine spells. You may also need the Arcane Preparation feat (CompArc).

But that won't work either... I forgot that spells gained from the Chameleon's Aptitude Focus can't be used to qualify for a prestige class such as Sublime Chord.

Paladin 4/Wizard 5/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 5 would work. You could also use Earth Sense, Earth Spell, and Heighten Spell to bump your 2nd level spells up to 3rd to qualify for Sublime Chord. That would let you do something like Duskblade 1/Paladin 8/Virtuoso 1, but that's a heckuva lot of feats and I'm not sure there are enough skill points in the build to pull that off.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Something tells me that that much barditude would skew even further from his concept.

Incidentally, I think he's out of luck no matter what, as a paladin simply doesn't have access to level 7 spells, since their spells inherently have 4 levels. The ability to cast level 7 divine spells by RAW probably refers explicitly to accessing a 7th level naturally divine spell list.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.