New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Rules Questions

1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Rules Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mravac Kid View Post
    I know that, but what about when I'm already in a fight? Example: I'm on the second floor, fighting a Black Dragon and a Goblin. The Dragon kicks my butt, thanks to his attack I can't even approach, and my turn ends. On the next turn, do I have to fight the Dragon again (only to get my butt kicked again, and so on until I get killed and have to run back to the entrance), or can I move away and leave the two in the room?
    Yes, on your next turn you can exit the room and explore another. You don't have to fight the dragon again.

I misspoke in that sentence. Actually, the "employee exit" turned up on the 3rd floor, and the description says it has a ladder going down (which would mean to Xykon's floor). So how does that work?
    And while we're at it: there can be only one found staircase, and there's the "employee exit", and I read in this thread there's another card giving a staircase. So there can be 3 staircases on the same floor? What happens if it's the last floor before Xykon?
    There's a section in the FAQ about multiple staircases. Says it's rare but possible. You can descend both staircases and get 2 sub-level which may or may not connect. There is still an overall "room limit" for the floor - if you run out of your pre-set Lair cards, you don't get any more.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks, that helps a lot.

I remembered another question: If I get help from other players for the top monster and win, then decide to fight the next one, does the help still stay, or do I have to ask again?

3. - Top - End - #393
    APE Games in the Playground

If I get help from other players for the top monster and win, then decide to fight the next one, does the help still stay, or do I have to ask again?
    The help does not stay - you must ask anew for each battle.
    Owner of APE Games.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If some one plays the Screw This card that breaks a weapon shtick on the Greenhilt sword, then roy would not be able to benefit from the great cleave shtick rigth...that shtick only works with the green hilt sword?

5. - Top - End - #395
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, great cleave only works on the greenhilt sword.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    FOSS Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

6. - Top - End - #396
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Roy Shtick questions

Quote Originally Posted by Tremas View Post
    Fearless Leader shtick -

So, which sentence has precedence? The "you may not refuse" or the "you may flip ... at any time"? Let's say Belkar asks Roy for assistance in a battle. Roy can not refuse, right? Or can Roy say - nahhh, I'm still ticked off at Belkar for the last two times he double-crossed V (man, Roy can carry a grudge against me - and for something that didn't even involve him!) - so Roy doesn't want to help Belkar, so Roy decides to voluntarily flip his Fearless Leader shtick card now, so that Roy can refuse to assist Belkar. I think Roy is not following the shtick because the shtick says "you may not refuse". Roy thinks it's fine to refuse to help Belkar since Roy can flip his shtick "at any time".

Does Roy have to assist Belkar? Or can Roy decide to hold a grudge and refuse to help Belkar by flipping his Fearless Leader shtick whenever Belkar asks for assistance?
    Roy is correct. Because he may flip the card at any time, he may even flip it between the time he is asked to assist and the time that he gives his answer. Once the card is flipped, the text regarding not being allowed to refuse is no longer in play, and Roy can do what he wants. The "penalty" here is that now Roy must rest before he can regain the benefit of Fearless Leader--and Roy is not a character who needs to rest very often.

Creative Motivation shtick -

Can you use this shtick multiple times to get multiple assist bonuses from one player in the same battle?
    No; one Loot card per player, and only a flat +2 bonus is gained.

From multiple players in the same battle?
    Yes.

Can you use this shtick to get help from an NPC player? Maybe only if you're discarding loot that only other NPC players and/or yourself drool over?
    No. As per the FAQ, an NPC can't make the decision to accept or not accept anything but the "standard contract" for Loot: "Player gives Loot with Drool Factor X, NPC gives +2X bonus." Anything that deviates from that can't be used with an NPC unless specifically stated so on the card text.

Heck - assuming both Belkar and Durkon are playing - can Roy discard loot that Belkar drools over in order for Roy to get assistance from Durkon?
    Yes.

It seems wrong for Roy to be able to discard loot that another player drools over (that's why this sort of loot can not be offered to an NPC), but if Roy can't discard loot that other players drool over, then this shtick seems pretty worthless.
    It is fairly powerful, but remember this: If Durkon refuses, Roy has lost that Loot for no gain. In the "standard contract", if the player refuses, the player battling keeps the Loot, no harm, no foul. So Roy is opening himself up to Durkon partly screwing him by refusing. If Roy takes to constantly discarding other people's Loot, he's going to end up with no one accepting his offers anymore, and soon he won't have much of a Loot stash.

What if Roy discards one loot card, asks Belkar for help, and Belkar says "Fight your own fight meat shield - you didn't help me - I ain't helping you." Does Roy still lose the one loot Roy discarded? Or does Roy get the loot back because Belkar refused to help? I think Roy loses the loot card even though Belkar refused to assist. The card says Roy discards the loot in order to ask for assistance. The card didn't promise whether the answer would be yes or no when Roy asks.
    Yes, Roy loses the card for no benefit.

Meat Shield shtick

What if the battle would cause Roy to suffer two or more Wounds? Does flipping this shtick only save Roy from one Wound or from all Wounds in that battle? I think it's one Wound since the card talks about "a Wound" and "the Wound". I think the additional Wounds are "other results", but I know I could be wrong (and I may be a bit prejudiced against Roy because he wouldn't help Belkar *and* he had the gall to attack Belkar on the way out of our dungeon when it was collapsing...).
    Meat Shield (and cards like it) protect only against the first Wound suffered. Extra Wounds are, indeed, considered an "other result" in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Hebelio View Post
    If some one plays the Screw This card that breaks a weapon shtick on the Greenhilt sword, then roy would not be able to benefit from the great cleave shtick rigth...that shtick only works with the green hilt sword?
    Correct. Great Cleavage only works with the Greenhilt Sword shtick, so that anythign that denies Roy the usage of the Greenhilt Sword makes Great Cleavage useless. Ignore that! I didn't go and read the Great Cleavage card!

Actual answer: Incorrect. Great Cleavage is NOT like Sneak Attack or Leaping Attack: it does not specify any single Battle Shtick that must be used in order to gain the bonus. If the Greenhilt Sword gets broken, you are free to whip out the Bag of Tricks or your bare hands and keep going.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

7. - Top - End - #397

I have one extremely basic question, and it's one I can't for the life of me find in the rules (I may have flipped through the book too many times so everything's become hazy...)

I enter a room, and a fight starts. The monster attacks...
    now there's 3 options:
    1. I defend successfully, defeat the monster, and can choose whether to fight the next one.
    2. it's a draw.
    3. I lose, and can't do anything else.

The question on everyone's minds (at least those of my friends and me) is, in which circumstances (if ever) can I just walk out of that room? (This one's really important to us, as we've often found ourselves fighting unbeatable monsters)
    All of them. The only things that would keep you in that room would be a special effect, such as if the monster that beat you had the Paralyze ability (and even then, you would just lose a turn, not fight the monster again).

If I win, can I move past that room into the next unexplored one, or back into a previously explored one?
    If I draw, can I withdraw, or do I have to fight the monster again?
    If I lose, what happens next? Can I retreat? Flee?
    In all three instances, you may move from that room to any other room on either side, explored or unexplored, unless the room text or some other effect specifically prevents it. Winning or losing a battle does not impede your movement ability in any way.

next question: In yesterday's game, the first room we entered on the 3rd floor was "employee exit", which immediately opens a new room, and as we played the shortest game, that was Xykon's floor. What happens if a player gets defeated down there? How does he get out, if he can't flee through the exit?
    Employee Exit creates a set of stairs; these stairs persist for the rest of the game (until the dungeon collapses, at least). Once the Employee Exit stairs go onto the board, however, no one can search for additional stairs while on the 3rd floor, because you are not allowed to search for stairs if there is already a set of stairs leading down--regardless of how those stairs came to be there.

So, to answer your question, he can indeed flee through the stairs created by Employee Exit should he be defeated in Xykon's Lair, as with any other set of stairs.

Also, note that simply because the stairs to Xykon's Lair are created does NOT mean that a player is automatically allowed to use them; each player must still have the required number of Shticks and Loot to enter the lair.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

8. - Top - End - #398

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Iceblood View Post
    I dont understand the fireball at all.

Do you attack each monster in turn? e.g. perform a normal attack vs each of them, that is throwing a dice and see if it beats its defence? So for instance if you can attack 4 monsters, you throw 4 attack dices.

or do you perform ONE attack vs all of them, e.g. throw the attack dice one time and check vs each of the monsters defence to see if they die.
    Neither. You perform one attack roll, and compare it to the highest Defense value that you targeted. If you beat that, you defeat ALL the Monsters targeted. If you don't beat that, you don't defeat anyone.

And do the monsters defend back, if they have a range > 0 ?
    If ANY of the Monsters targeted have Range sufficient to reach you, you lose one Wound should you fail to win (or tie) the battle. In addition, any special effects of any Monsters that you targeted will come into play, such as Deadly or Thief.

Another question; The rules dosn't explain what happens to discarded cards, nor what happens when you dont have any more battledeck or loot cards to draw. We have assumed its suffle the discarded piles, and use those.
    Yes; these issues are dealt with in the FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
    More questions about Area Effect Shticks...

Can you Defend against multiple monsters with Turn Undead or Poorly-Planned Illusion? The only other AES (so far), Fireball, has N/A for Defense, but those two have a value. Turn Undead is actually better in Defense than Attack.
    Yes, you can Defend using an Area Effect Shtick, if the shtick has a value for Defense. This would happen if you walk into a room of Monsters, or if you are attacked at Range by a Monster via the "Ambush!" Screw This! card.

Also, I know you can't keep fighting after you use an AES, even at Range 0. But can you use 'regular' shticks to kill the top monster(s) in a stack, one at a time, and then 'finish off' the stack with an AES?
    Yes, if you are battling at Range 0. (You can never "keep fighting" when battling at Range > 0.) Once you use an AES, though, you're done.
    Rich Burlew

9. - Top - End - #399

Quote Originally Posted by Alertmav101 View Post
    To Whom it may concern:

I have a question and it might be simple to answer but me and my brothers play order of the stick board game and came accross a problem. Last night we were playing and my brother rested and picked up 2 loot cards but one was a trap and he lost to the trap and it said that he lost a turn. Play resumed and it came to his turn to lose a turn but does that mean he is still sleeping or just awake but can't do anything because I wanted to attack but we didn't know if he still got penalized for being asleep. Thank you for the responce.
    When it is his turn again, he does not stand up and play immediately passes to the next person. This is his missed turn. When play returns to him again, he stands up and gains the benefit of resting (because he rested before the trap went off). He may then move as normal.

If you attack him at any time when his playing piece is on its side--whether because he is resting or missing a turn--you still get the same +4 Attack.

Q: What happens if I lose a Ranged Attack against a monster with
    Bloodlust and no Range (or insufficient Range to reach the room I’m
    making my Ranged Attack from)?
    A: The battle is a draw. The rules for Ranged Attacks state that a monster
    cannot win a battle for which they have insufficient Range and that
    any result that would lead to a win (in this case, the presence of the
    Bloodlust ability) should be considered a draw instead.

On page 18 of the rulebook, under Area Effect Shticks:

Use any and all abilities possessed by the Monsters that affect the entire battle, including Bloodlust, Multiattack, or Outsmart.

And then, in the example of a (Ranged) Area Effect , V is Fireballing some Snake Dragons (Bloodlust, but Range 0), and a Thing with the Eyes (Range 6).
    (s)He rolls a draw, and apparently the Bloodlust makes it a loss.

So, one monster's Range makes another monster's Bloodlust work?
    Yes. Think of it as teamwork on the part of the Monsters.

And, just to clarify, if the Thing hadn't had sufficient Range to reach V, the Bloodlust would not have applied?
    Yes, if the Thing had not had sufficient Range, then Bloodlust would not have come into play at all. Because the Thing did have the Range, Bloodlust converted the draw into a win for the Monsters.

But what happens when you empty your Battle Hand and you don't need to provide a monster? Let's say your Battle Hand only has 2 cards - and they're both Screw This cards. And - either during your turn or during another player's turn - you play both Screw This cards. You have emptied your Battle Hand, but you have not been called on to play a monster.

What do you do?
    This:

* If you emptied your Battle Hand (by playing Screw This cards), it doesn't matter if it's your turn or not. You must wait until you are called upon to play a monster before you draw a new Battle Hand (and you're skipped for that one-time monster selection).
    The only time you draw new Battle Hand cards is when you are called on to play a monster and cannot (or when a shtick or Screw This! allows you to, such as Durkon's W.W.T.D? shtick).
    Rich Burlew

10. - Top - End - #400

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgrasso View Post
    Roy Cleave Schtick. Can Roy use his Great sword to kill the first monster on the stack and then switch to his magic schtick and still use his cleave schtick to get the bonuses on subsequent monsters in the stack?
    Quote Originally Posted by apegamer View Post
    The intent is for Great Cleavage to only be used with Greenhilt Sword. This also means that if Roy somehow manages to defeat a monster with a magic shtick that it wouldn't add to the Great Cleavage bonus.
    Hmmmm...I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you, Kevin. Nothing on the card limits its usage to Greenhilt Sword. Considering that we have many cards that specifically DO limite their usage to one Battle Shtick, I think Roy can cleave with his bare hands if he wants.

Also, I realize this means I have to edit one of my responses above...
    Rich Burlew

11. - Top - End - #401
    Dwarf in the Playground

In regards to the issue of whether or not roy can use great cleavage with something besides the greenhilt sword, apegamer already ruled previously in this thread that great cleavage only works with the greenhilt sword. This is what I was basing my answer to Hebelios' question on. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ge#post2830075
    Yes by literal interpretation of the rules great cleavage will work with anything however the spirit of the schtick seems like it should only work with the sword (also this helps block the 'invincible roy' scenario that sometimes occurs on large stacks). While I know you are the final word on the rules, for the sake of moderator unity I would ask you discuss this with him and come back with a final answer on this (might be a good idea for the answer to go into the FAQ too since it has come up multiple times).
    Last edited by donkyhotay; 2007-08-08 at 03:40 PM.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A question came up last night regarding the "Ghost of Dorukan" card in the Xykon's Lair deck in conjunction with Elan's Poorly-Planned Illusion schtick. The wording on the "Ghost of Dorukan" card specifies that the boon is granted to the player who "kills the last monster in the room." In this case, Elan had killed the first monster he faced out of four in the room with a different battle schtick, but then used Poorly-Planned Illusion to move the rest of the monsters to another room.

While it seems to me to make sense that Elan get the boon, the wording on the card would imply otherwise. Should the card say "defeats" instead of "kills"? Does the Ghost stay put until a new battle in the room is triggered and the new "last" monster in the room is actually killed? Or is there some other interpretation I'm missing? Elan DID kill a monster, but at the time he killed it, it wasn't the last one in the room. The last monster in the room wasn't killed, but moved to a different room. Thanks in advance!
    Penny for your thoughts? Are you sure you're not pricing yourself out of the market? Most people give them to me free whether I want them or not.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beating a card using the illusion is considered "defeating the monster". So yes, winning those battles and revoming the monsters from that particular room should get you the extra shtick.
    I'll race you to the top of the spire.

HOW TO ROLL ON THE FORUM SITE:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Orlove View Post
    For example: [roll=Spot ]1d20+5[/roll ] would show up (without the extra spaces) as a normal roll.
    There's also [rollv=NameOfRoll]xdy+z[/rollv] which will show you all the individual rolls, eg: [rollv=strength ]4d6[/rollv ] gives you 4 rolls, and their sum.
    [roll=strength ]4d6b3[/roll ] gives you the best 3 of the 4 rolls

14. - Top - End - #404
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Except the Ghost of Dorukan specifically says "kills", NOT "defeats". Hence the conundrum.
    Penny for your thoughts? Are you sure you're not pricing yourself out of the market? Most people give them to me free whether I want them or not.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Halfling in the Playground

If I defeat Xykon, can I use him both for drawing schticks and also for his 2 * Level bragging points?

Can I use "I Forgot They Could Do That" to negate a special monster ability that is granted to a monster from a room? For example, a monster in the Earth Dungeon becomes Impervious. Can I use IFTCDT to render the monster non-Impervious? If I can, and if the monster is normally Impervious on its own, do I need two cards to negate the ability from each of two sources, or just one card to negate the one ability?

Even if IFTCDT can be used for room-based abilities such as above, I'd assume that it can only be used to negate abilities that some monsters have naturally and which are included in the list at the end of the rulebook. So it couldn't be used to negate effects on monsters from the Summoning Room or the Employee Lounge, for example. Correct?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dun dun dun! with Ranged Attacks:

Say I have 2 Leaping Attacks, and try to make a Ranged Attack at Range 2 (my maximum). Then, someone uses Dun dun dun! to flip one of my Leaping Attacks. My range is reduced to 1, and I can no longer reach the foe. What happens?

Come to that, what happens when your only Ranged Shtick is flipped when doing a Ranged Attack?
    People pay thousands of dollars for diamonds, even though diamonds do nothing but look pretty.
    A video game suit of armor looks pretty and protects you from video game orcs.

17. - Top - End - #407

Quote Originally Posted by prj View Post
    If I defeat Xykon, can I use him both for drawing schticks and also for his 2 * Level bragging points?
    Yes.

Can I use "I Forgot They Could Do That" to negate a special monster ability that is granted to a monster from a room? For example, a monster in the Earth Dungeon becomes Impervious. Can I use IFTCDT to render the monster non-Impervious?
    Yes, the room says that the monster gains the ability, and IFTCDT removes the ability from the monster. If the monster already has the ability, then the room doesn't really give the ability again, so removing it a second time is not necessary.

Even if IFTCDT can be used for room-based abilities such as above, I'd assume that it can only be used to negate abilities that some monsters have naturally and which are included in the list at the end of the rulebook. So it couldn't be used to negate effects on monsters from the Summoning Room or the Employee Lounge, for example. Correct?
    Yes, that's right.
    Owner of APE Games.

18. - Top - End - #408

Quote Originally Posted by Ellisthion View Post
    Dun dun dun! with Ranged Attacks:

Say I have 2 Leaping Attacks, and try to make a Ranged Attack at Range 2 (my maximum). Then, someone uses Dun dun dun! to flip one of my Leaping Attacks. My range is reduced to 1, and I can no longer reach the foe. What happens?

Come to that, what happens when your only Ranged Shtick is flipped when doing a Ranged Attack?
    In both cases the attack is unsuccessful and your turn is over.
    Owner of APE Games.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hi.. Great game by the way captures the comic well..

A couple questions that came up...
    1: A conformation on if Roy can use great cleave with bag of tricks etc..
    2: Can Belkar use halfling rage after the dice is rolled to change a loss into a win?

20. - Top - End - #410

Quote Originally Posted by Rekrah View Post
    Hi.. Great game by the way captures the comic well..

A couple questions that came up...
    1: A conformation on if Roy can use great cleave with bag of tricks etc..
    Yes. The card doesn't prohibit the use of Great Cleavage with other shticks. We may change this in the future, but right now we don't need another FAQ entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekrah View Post
    2: Can Belkar use halfling rage after the dice is rolled to change a loss into a win?
    No, flip it before the dice roll and hope for the best.

Glad you like the game!
    Owner of APE Games.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by apegamer View Post
    Yes. The card doesn't prohibit the use of Great Cleavage with other shticks. We may change this in the future, but right now we don't need another FAQ entry.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Pixie in the Playground

Some questions.

1) Say that I am standing in a room with a single monster in it and some Loot. Another player plays Surprise! and makes that monster attack me. I win the battle and kill the monster. Do I get to pick up two Loot from the room as a bonus for clearing the last monster inside, or does nothing of the sort happen because it is not my turn? Is the answer any different if I was also the person who played the Surprise! card?

2) Regarding Roy's Fearless Leader: How does the "no refusing" part work when assisting in PvP battles? Assuming both players ask for his assistance, can he choose which one to assist without flipping the Fearless Leader, or must he immediately give assistance to the first player to ask him?

3) The following questions regard both "Creative Motivation" and "Scream Like A Little Girl":

- They cannot be used multiple times for one player, but can they be used combined with normal assistance from the same player? If not, can they be combined with each other? For example, Roy asks Haley for help with some drooled over Loot. He still wants more help, but has no Haley-heads, so he throws a way a Loot to ask Haley for more assistance with Creative Motivation. He also uses SLaLG on her so that he could get even more assistance. Is any of this illegal?

- When they are used, do/can they also trigger other assistance-related Shticks and events (such as Fearless Leader, Bard Song, Buff Spell, Double Cross, No I In Team, Eternal Gratitude)? In the cases of Double Cross and Eternal Gratitude, how is the Loot handled?

- I imagine that those cards still can't allow players to assist both battling players in a PvP battle. Is this correct?

- Regarding only SLaLG, if Roy is one of its targets and doesn't want to assist, then he doesn't need to flip Fearless Leader, since he was not really invited; the card specifies only that he may not refuse requests. Correct?

- Regarding only Creative Motivation, if an initial offer is refused, can Roy try to make another offer to the same player by throwing another card? If a player refused an offer and changed his mind later for some reason (like seeing that Roy is doing well enough without him), can he then choose to accept the offer, against Roy's will? If not, can he do it with Roy's will, without Roy having to throw away another card?

23. - Top - End - #413
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Apologies for any typos or bad grammar, but English isn't my native language...

Might be a reason why I didn't understand that battle size thing clearly.

Imagine the following situation:
    Roy goes into a room at 3rd floor. A new battle is triggered, the battle size is 3, players populate the room with 3 monsters. Unfortunately Roy is not able to kill the first monster, but the two other ones die from his mighty Greenhilt sword.
    However, on his next turn Roy decides to leave this room behind and move into a safer area on 2nd floor since he is not experienced enough to battle the remaining monster (in his opinion).
    Durkon, closely behind Roy, decides to move into the room Roy was in before. The room still contains 1 monster (the remaining one Roy wasn't able to kill).

Now my question:
    Since the room is on 3rd floor, but there is only 1 monster remaining in the room, is this considered as a "new" battle (Durkon came in)? If yes, that would mean the room was populated with another 2 monsters up to battle size 3 again.
    Or am I totally wrong and if there is a room with monsters that weren't all killed in an earlier battle, players have to battle only the remaining monsters when moving into that room?

2nd solution makes sense to me...how do you think about that?

24. - Top - End - #414
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zink View Post
    1) Say that I am standing in a room with a single monster in it and some Loot. Another player plays Surprise! and makes that monster attack me. I win the battle and kill the monster. Do I get to pick up two Loot from the room as a bonus for clearing the last monster inside, or does nothing of the sort happen because it is not my turn? Is the answer any different if I was also the person who played the Surprise! card?
    You pick up two Loot from the room regardless of whose turn it is, if you are the one who cleared it. Whose turn it is when Surprise! was played is not relevant, nor does it matter if you played Surprise! on yourself. However, if you played Surprise! on yourself during your turn, you would not be eligible to pick up any further loot on that turn.

- They cannot be used multiple times for one player, but can they be used combined with normal assistance from the same player? If not, can they be combined with each other? For example, Roy asks Haley for help with some drooled over Loot. He still wants more help, but has no Haley-heads, so he throws a way a Loot to ask Haley for more assistance with Creative Motivation. He also uses SLaLG on her so that he could get even more assistance. Is any of this illegal?
    As far as I know, there's no restriction on stacking those cards with other forms of assistance from a single player.

- When they are used, do/can they also trigger other assistance-related Shticks and events (such as Fearless Leader, Bard Song, Buff Spell, Double Cross, No I In Team, Eternal Gratitude)? In the cases of Double Cross and Eternal Gratitude, how is the Loot handled?
    There's a specific rule in the FAQ that Elan's Bard Song applies only once per battle, regardless of how much assistance he provides. I assume that Buff Spell works in the same way. Double Cross would seem to apply to the sum total of all assistance you provide in a battle, since you can't assist both sides at the same time; while Eternal Gratitude seems to apply specifically to the basic request for assistance, not to the effects of any other cards. I'm not sure about the others.

- I imagine that those cards still can't allow players to assist both battling players in a PvP battle. Is this correct?
    Correct.

- Regarding only SLaLG, if Roy is one of its targets and doesn't want to assist, then he doesn't need to flip Fearless Leader, since he was not really invited; the card specifies only that he may not refuse requests. Correct?
    I would assume so.

- Regarding only Creative Motivation, if an initial offer is refused, can Roy try to make another offer to the same player by throwing another card? If a player refused an offer and changed his mind later for some reason (like seeing that Roy is doing well enough without him), can he then choose to accept the offer, against Roy's will? If not, can he do it with Roy's will, without Roy having to throw away another card?
    I don't believe that assistance choices can be altered after being made, with the exception of Screw This! cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Phischi View Post
    Now my question:
    Since the room is on 3rd floor, but there is only 1 monster remaining in the room, is this considered as a "new" battle (Durkon came in)? If yes, that would mean the room was populated with another 2 monsters up to battle size 3 again.
    Or am I totally wrong and if there is a room with monsters that weren't all killed in an earlier battle, players have to battle only the remaining monsters when moving into that room?

2nd solution makes sense to me...how do you think about that?
    The room is not considered cleared until the last monster in it is defeated. Therefore, no new battle will be triggered, and no additional Battle Deck cards may be played unless a specific card states otherwise. Durkon (and any other players, including Roy) will only battle the one remaining monster until it's defeated. Should it be defeated, any player moving into the room on a subsequent turn when no other players were present would trigger a new battle.
    Proud, small, slightly stinky member of the fan club.

Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley / Ring, ring, ring goes the bell.
    Git away from me, ye daft fool!

Barky! You came back!

25. - Top - End - #415

A new battle is triggered, the battle size is 3, players populate the room with 3 monsters. Unfortunately Roy is not able to kill the first monster, but the two other ones die from his mighty Greenhilt sword.
    Fighteer answered your main question, but I'll point out that this situation can't happen quite as you describe it. Monsters are fought in the same order that they are played into a room; you don't stack them bottom-up as they are played in and then fight the stack top-down/last-to-first. So Roy has to defeat the first monster before he has the option of battling any others. If he fails to defeat the first monster, he has to stop battling for that turn.

What he could do, though, is defeat the first two, and leave the last one (by losing, or drawing, or choosing not to continue fighting), and then your question is meaningful. (The authoritative answer is on page 10 of the rulebook, under "Triggering a new battle".)

26. - Top - End - #416
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Fighteer answered your main question, but I'll point out that this situation can't happen quite as you describe it. Monsters are fought in the same order that they are played into a room; you don't stack them bottom-up as they are played in and then fight the stack top-down/last-to-first. So Roy has to defeat the first monster before he has the option of battling any others. If he fails to defeat the first monster, he has to stop battling for that turn.

What he could do, though, is defeat the first two, and leave the last one (by losing, or drawing, or choosing not to continue fighting), and then your question is meaningful. (The authoritative answer is on page 10 of the rulebook, under "Triggering a new battle".)

Thanks for reading my post that carefully

I knew there was something we made wrong when playing this game for the first time...possibly a reason why our "short game" with 3 people didn't come to an end this evening after playing for ~5 hours...

I wasn't sure about the fact that if you don't defeat the top monster in a room, you must not battle the other monsters below in the stack. Now it's clear to me.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I knew there was something we made wrong when playing this game for the first time...possibly a reason why our "short game" with 3 people didn't come to an end this evening after playing for ~5 hours...
    Heck, even after playing the game a dozen times, our group cannot get through a "short game" in 5 hours... ok, we could if we could eliminate all out-of-game distractions (goofing off, phone calls, comparisons of who's work week sucked most, etc.) and put a 2-minute time-limit on turns.... we might get done in say 4 hours 45 minutes ;)
    Last edited by Lord Greywarden; 2007-09-30 at 01:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Pixie in the Playground

I've got some questions for you:

1) Which one of the following can change the result of a battle after the dice are rolled: Buff Spell (assuming V is helping you), I Forgot They Could Do That (to cancel assist ability), Forgotten Bonus and Get Angry.

2) Is it possible to use FTCDT after you lose in a battle to cancel abilities that can effect you? (like paralyze, thief and bloodlust and so on)

3) Can Belkar perform a leaping attack through a Dark room? (assuming the dark room is between the room that contains Belkar and the room which contains the player or monster that Belkar wants to attack).

4) The only monster in the Xykon Deck with no XP or treasure is the "Guard monster", which is one of the toughest monsters in the game. Is it supposed to be this way or it is just a misprint?

Thanks in advence, Xardas.

29. - Top - End - #419

Quote Originally Posted by Xardas View Post
    1) Which one of the following can change the result of a battle after the dice are rolled: Buff Spell (assuming V is helping you), I Forgot They Could Do That (to cancel assist ability), Forgotten Bonus and Get Angry.
    Forgotten Bonus is the only one that can be used after the die roll.

2) Is it possible to use FTCDT after you lose in a battle to cancel abilities that can effect you? (like paralyze, thief and bloodlust and so on)
    No. IFTCDT says it can be used "When any player (including you) is battling a Monster." After the moment of the die roll, you are no longer battling the monster; you are only figuring out what the results of the battle were.

3) Can Belkar perform a leaping attack through a Dark room? (assuming the dark room is between the room that contains Belkar and the room which contains the player or monster that Belkar wants to attack).
    A Leaping Attack into another room is a ranged attack followed by movement. The room doesn't prevent ranged attacks through it, so I would say that the attack happens normally. The movement afterward might be blocked, although if the Dark Room is empty, then it would seem that Belkar would have to stop and fight a new battle, which isn't supposed to be possible after a ranged attack. So I'm not sure.

30. - Top - End - #420

Some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighteer View Post
    You pick up two Loot from the room regardless of whose turn it is, if you are the one who cleared it. Whose turn it is when Surprise! was played is not relevant, nor does it matter if you played Surprise! on yourself. However, if you played Surprise! on yourself during your turn, you would not be eligible to pick up any further loot on that turn.
    Right.

2) Regarding Roy's Fearless Leader: How does the "no refusing" part work when assisting in PvP battles? Assuming both players ask for his assistance, can he choose which one to assist without flipping the Fearless Leader, or must he immediately give assistance to the first player to ask him?
    Roy may only provide assistance to one of the players, and PVP specifies an order that the players ask for assistance. If he chooses to flip the shtick when the first player asks, then it's not available for the second player.

3) The following questions regard both "Creative Motivation" and "Scream Like A Little Girl":

As far as I know, there's no restriction on stacking those cards with other forms of assistance from a single player.
    Right - both can be used targeting the same player.

There's a specific rule in the FAQ that Elan's Bard Song applies only once per battle, regardless of how much assistance he provides. I assume that Buff Spell works in the same way. Double Cross would seem to apply to the sum total of all assistance you provide in a battle, since you can't assist both sides at the same time; while Eternal Gratitude seems to apply specifically to the basic request for assistance, not to the effects of any other cards. I'm not sure about the others.
    Creative Motivation and SLaLG say that the player 'assists', and the shticks you mentions say 'when assisting', so yes, they count.

Correct.
    Right.

I would assume so.
    SLaLG says that Roy 'may assist' the player. He doesn't need to, but if he DOES assist, then Fearless Leader comes into play, since that card says 'when assisting.'

I don't believe that assistance choices can be altered after being made, with the exception of Screw This! cards.
    Yes, Roy can keep scrapping his loot if he thinks that asking nicely will help with future attempts.

A player cannot 'change his mind later', in either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Phischi

The room is not considered cleared until the last monster in it is defeated. Therefore, no new battle will be triggered, and no additional Battle Deck cards may be played unless a specific card states otherwise. Durkon (and any other players, including Roy) will only battle the one remaining monster until it's defeated. Should it be defeated, any player moving into the room on a subsequent turn when no other players were present would trigger a new battle.
    Right.
    Owner of APE Games.