New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules Questions

1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Rules Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Fujin

Both. As it specifes on page 15 of the rulebook "If you defeated the last monster in the room in which you are located, you may immediately draw the top two loot from that room into your Loot Stash. This is a bonus, above and beyond any Loot you would normally pick up at the beginning or ending of your turn."

Or, in brief, the battle-loot isn't considered "loot you pick up." Its bonus :).
    This is the way I interpreted it at first too, but when I was re-reading the rules I saw this on page 25 in the "Picking Up Loot" example box:

"Roy immediately picks up the top two, as his bonus for killing the last Monster. He cannot pick up a third, even though he did not pick up any Loot before moving."

Why not?? ???

Another question: Is picking up Loot the only thing that you can't do BOTH at the beginning AND end of your turn? For example, could I equip Loot at the beginning of my turn, move, battle, collect loot, and then equip Loot again? Could I do the same thing with turning in monsters for shticks?

Thanks for this thread and the FAQ! They've answered a lot of my other questions (like about flying) already.

edit: I thought of another one. With a 2-player game, the first player adds 2 monsters to the battle stack and then the second player adds one if the battle size is 3 or more. If it's more than 3, does it keep alternating 2-1-2-1-2-1... or does the first player only play 2 monsters the first time so the order is 2-1-1-1-1...?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Re: Rules Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by anarce
    "Roy immediately picks up the top two, as his bonus for killing the last Monster. He cannot pick up a third, even though he did not pick up any Loot before moving."

Why not?? ???

Another question: Is picking up Loot the only thing that you can't do BOTH at the beginning AND end of your turn?
    Krago's reply for the first question
    Quote Originally Posted by Krago
    During early playtesting we started out letting folks pick up larger amounts of loot. I don't really remember it speeding up the game, but it did make the game more imbalanced toward the stronger melee characters (Roy, V, and Belkar). It let them kill a bunch of monsters for XP and then immediately pick up a lot of the loot too. By limiting how much loot they could pick up, it gave the weaker melee characters a chance to walk in and share in the loot. We also liked the loot-gathering mini-game that would spring up whenever a large loot pile formed (especially in the lower levels). It also had the nice side effect of giving the characters another reason to stay close to each other.
    For the second question, you may only search for stairs once per turn as well. For loot, and shticks, the rulebook states "as often as you are willing and able." Don't see any such ruling about equipping loot for either way.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

My group played our first round of OOTSBG tonight.

We ran into a problem, since we had only five players. We played without Elan. The rules do not state that we should remove loot that Elan drools over. Should we remove it, or keep it in the game and make it worthless until points are counted in the end? Generally, I would prefer to remove loot that Elan drools over, but how far should we go? Should we remove loot that ONLY Elan drools over, or loot that Elan as well as other PCs drool over?

I also felt that on the whole, Durkon was rather disadvantaged. The way I read Cure Assorted Wounds particularly bothered me. Opon boosting Cure Assorted Wounds once, Durkon heals for 2 points and takes one loot. This seems good, since people will be more likely to agree to let Durkon heal them in exchange for loot. However, a twice boosted Cure Assorted Wounds heals three points and provides Durkon with one loot. This seems to actually be a worse deal for Durkon, as healing for three points does not actually give Durkon much of an advantage. Was the amount of loot Durkon recieves meant to change or not?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vojoc
    We ran into a problem, since we had only five players. We played without Elan. The rules do not state that we should remove loot that Elan drools over. Should we remove it, or keep it in the game and make it worthless until points are counted in the end? Generally, I would prefer to remove loot that Elan drools over, but how far should we go? Should we remove loot that ONLY Elan drools over, or loot that Elan as well as other PCs drool over?
    Loot that Elan drools over is still useful. Elan becomes an NPC (see the sidebar on page 13 of the rules).

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the reply, Gamer5389, but Krago's reply doesn't quite answer the question. The rulebook seems to contradict itself.

Page 15 says that picking up 2 loot for killing a monster is a bonus, and I can still pick up loot at the end of my turn.

Page 25 in the example says that Roy can't pick up loot at the end of his turn.

Which one is correct?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Technically, thats an illegal move, but not for the reason you suspect.

"I forgot they could do that" lets you ignore an ability the monster has. Abilities are things listed in the back of the rulebook, such as Flying, Bloodlust, Leader, or Invulnerable. Support is not an ability, its a characteristic of the monster, same as its attack rating.

However, what would have been a legal play would have been to play "I forgot..." on Xykon's Horde ability, which would have immediately reduced the battle size to 5, (4th lair + Leader). Any monster beyond the 5th would be discarded, and Xykon's Attack and Defense would have been quite manageable for you :).

But yes, you can play "I forgot" during the "Play Monster Step", as its still within the combat section of the rules.

Hope that helps!
    You seem to contradict yourself. Why do you consider the Horde ability (listed on page 31) to be valid for "I Forgot..." but not the Assist ability (listed on page 31)?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by apegamer

If you've not seen it, Rich's post on this on page 5 of this topic explains how this works. I have post-it note on my monitor to update the FAQ.
    So that, essentially, Flying should act like Breath Weapon, Enchanted, Impervious, or Mindless? (Any Shtick with a Range value is inherently a Battle Shtick, so the last sentence in those other abilities wouldn't be relevant.)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

I also felt that on the whole, Durkon was rather disadvantaged. The way I read Cure Assorted Wounds particularly bothered me. Opon boosting Cure Assorted Wounds once, Durkon heals for 2 points and takes one loot. This seems good, since people will be more likely to agree to let Durkon heal them in exchange for loot. However, a twice boosted Cure Assorted Wounds heals three points and provides Durkon with one loot. This seems to actually be a worse deal for Durkon, as healing for three points does not actually give Durkon much of an advantage. Was the amount of loot Durkon recieves meant to change or not?
    (1) (a) Loot that ONLY Elan drools over can be offered to Elan . . . if he is on your floor (That is, if you are the player "deepest in the dungeon) . . . for a +2 attack/+2 defense per drool factor. (b) For loot that both Elan AND another player drool over, you effectively ignore the Elan factor, as if the faces were not on the card. (c) You only get points for loot that your character drools over, so at the end of the game they are still worthless.

(2) Depends on your Durkon strategy. :)
    (a) When all three are unflipped, it's certainly in Durkon's favor to use it on himself. And although you MAY accept any loot, there's nothing wrong with "holding out" for a good loot offer . . . (i.e. I'll cure your 3 assorted wounds . . . what exactly are you offering?) [As Durkon, I feel it's okay to "insist" that the drool factor of the loot offered equal the number of wounds healed.]
    (b) Although it may seem out of character, if players are being stingy with their loot-for-healing, there's nothing wrong with "teaming up" with Belkar to keep that healing in high demand. ;)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Thanks for the reply, Gamer5389, but Krago's reply doesn't quite answer the question. The rulebook seems to contradict itself.

Page 15 says that picking up 2 loot for killing a monster is a bonus, and I can still pick up loot at the end of my turn.

Which one is correct?

Look at page 24 under "How Much Loot Can Be Picked Up" and look at the second bullet. It specifically states you can't pick up loot in a room where you take the 2 loot bonus.

Arcade

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

A question about Turn Undead...I haven't encountered this in a game yet, but if Durkon were to kill Xykon with Turn Undead, I'm assuming he'd also take out every other undead monster in the stack--potentially earning bucket-loads of XP to spend on schtiks. So do all of those monsters "die" at the same time Xykon does, or do they get the chance to flee?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade

Look at page 24 under "How Much Loot Can Be Picked Up" and look at the second bullet. It specifically states you can't pick up loot in a room where you take the 2 loot bonus.
    Cool, that agrees with the example on page 25, so that makes it 2 against 1, page 15 loses. Thanks for pointing that one out.

My other questions have now fallen to the previous page of the thread, but I'd still like answers to them if anyone has them, like the 2-1-2-1 vs. 2-1-1-1 battle stack creation with 2 players. TIA!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

Is the intent of Haley's Second-in-Command shtick the same as Roy's party leader veto in that its only meant to be used at the beginning of your turn?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Argus
    You seem to contradict yourself. Why do you consider the Horde ability (listed on page 31) to be valid for "I Forgot..." but not the Assist ability (listed on page 31)?
    Because I somehow managed to miss that Assist was actually listed... I thought it was an intrensic value of the monsters :P

14. - Top - End - #104
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bwcMD
    A question about Turn Undead...I haven't encountered this in a game yet, but if Durkon were to kill Xykon with Turn Undead, I'm assuming he'd also take out every other undead monster in the stack--potentially earning bucket-loads of XP to spend on schtiks. So do all of those monsters "die" at the same time Xykon does, or do they get the chance to flee?
    A: If you read the last line of Durkon's Turn Undead Shtick, it says you can't use it on Xykon.

Also, a question that seems very simple, but still is unclear to me.

Q: Can players equip loot (with their own drool factors, of course) that has no effect? Can Haley equip a Bag of Gold and have it count towards her loot to enter Xykon's Lair?

My gaming group has played so that only loot that has effects for certain players (Magic Daggers or Elveniest Boots Ever, for instance) were able to be equipped and count towards entering Xykon's lair.

Can someone clear that up for me?
    Thanks
    Wanderlust

"If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."

You are Stable, dependable, and fond of beer.

15. - Top - End - #105

PaladinGuy

Another question.

This one has been bouncing back and forth, and so far the answers have been references to former posts and I still don't have a black and white answer (if one exists at this time), so I'm gonna ask it straight up again, and if you know the correct answer, please help me (and the other people asking the same thing) with the answer.

Picking up loot:

I start my turn alone in a room with loot, and pick up one Loot. It's not a trap, so I keep it. I then move to an empty room and trigger a battle, killing a monster that drops 2 more Loot. Can I pick up these two loot because I killed the last monster in the room, or am I limited to picking up loot just once per turn?

Apologies for beating the dead horse, but this has a major effect on the way we play the game.

Thanks a lot!
    Wanderlust

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust
    Picking up loot:

I start my turn alone in a room with loot, and pick up one Loot. It's not a trap, so I keep it. I then move to an empty room and trigger a battle, killing a monster that drops 2 more Loot. Can I pick up these two loot because I killed the last monster in the room, or am I limited to picking up loot just once per turn?

Apologies for beating the dead horse, but this has a major effect on the way we play the game.

Thanks a lot!
    Look at my answer above. It is listed on page 24 under Picking Up Loot in the second bullet. Essentially, you can pick up the 2 loot.
    Arcade

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

With Fireball, its possible that boosting a fireball could actually _hurt_ Var, by making it too hard for Var to actually kill the monsters in the stack, for example if the best of the first two monsters in the stack had 10 defense, but the third monster had 15 defense, a boost might make it so that Var killed no monsters rather than two or three. A Get Angry! card played by another player might be used to this end. Because of this, should players be able to choose between using a fireball and between a garden variety fireball, or should boosts be forced?

Additionally, the list of what you may or may not do while fleeing the dungeon does not include a ruling on trading in loot for schticks. May you or may you not?

Similarly, may someone assist another player while they are fleeing the dungeon?

If several people are dead and at the dungeon enterance while Xykon is killed how does the BR for fleeing the dungeon work? Do they get 0 because they died? Do all the people who were there when Xykon died tie? Do they retroactively get points in the order they reached the top?

Also, can a player use Poorly Planned Illusion on Xykon's stack without using it on Xykon himself?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

A similar question as the previous poster, can you choose an area effect shtick but not use the area effect?
    For example, using PPI against monster strong against Elan (mindless) like a normal shtick to get rid of them and then continue fighting since you didn't use the area effect.

A separate example like the fireball one above, if the first monster has a defence of 6 and the second 20, can you choose to just attack the first one?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

A lot of questions that need answers! I was supposed to run these past Kevin before posting them, but it's late and he's busy shipping games, so just be aware that one or two of these might get contradicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Moebius
    The rules (say you can start in a room, pick up one Loot, move, and fight in another room – and if you clear that room , you can pick up up to two more Loot. However, Haley’s “Come to Me, My Pretties” schtick says, “As always, you may pick Loot only once per turn.” Which is correct?
    The rules are correct. The intent of that sentence was to make it clear that you couldn't pick up Loot from two different rooms just because the shtick allowed you to pick up two Loot per turn.

This is the way I interpreted it at first too, but when I was re-reading the rules I saw this on page 25 in the "Picking Up Loot" example box:

Why not?? ???
    Well...just because. I honestly can't remember what our logic for this was, but I know we specifically wanted you to be able to pick up no more than 2 Loot from monsters you killed. More than that, and there was less chance of players who were doing poorly to be able to "claim jump" and get a free Loot.

Which one is correct?
    Technically both, but the spirit you are looking for is page 25.

Basically, taking the two bonus Loot prohibits you from picking up any more Loot that turn, per the second bullet point on page 24 under "How Much Loot Can Be Picked Up". The text on page 15 doesn't specifically contradict this, it merely says that the two bonus Loot is in addition to any other Loot you would get--which in this case is zero, since if you take the bonus Loot, you get no other Loot. Yes, it's an awful wording choice on my part and would be much clearer if I just deleted the phrase, "or ending" from page 15, which I imagine would qualify as errata.

You may pick up two Loot in the room. You may not pick up a third Loot in that room (what would be a fourth Loot for the turn).

------------------------------

No, you should NEVER remove Loot from the deck, regardless of who is playing or not. Remember that Elan is still an NPC in that game, hanging around the lowest dungeon level that any player is currently on, and you can offer NPCs the Loot that they drool over, as long as no other PC drools over it too. Elan-only Loot is far from worthless, as it is the only Loot that you could use to buy assistance in battle that won't go into the hands of one of your opponents!

Quote Originally Posted by Moebius
    The second rules question is a bit trickier. I guess I’ll explain the situation first:
    I’m the first one down into Xykon’s lair, and have found him. Thanks to various supporting monsters already on this level, the Battle Size starts at 12…. and keeps getting bigger as we play more monsters. Pretty soon, Xykon’s stats are into the stratosphere, because of his Support: Assist ability. But then, on one of my Battle Deck redraws (I have to play monsters into this fight too, after all), I pull “Screw this! I Forgot They Could Do That” – and play it immediately to cancel Support: Assist and bring Xykon’s Attack value down to 16. We keep playing monsters – there end up being 49 in the stack. Since they’re not Supporting him, however, I manage to kill him. Without the ‘I Forgot…’, his Attack would have been over 50 – way out of my range.

Now, I’m wondering if that was entirely legal, even though the other players let me do it. The ‘I Forgot…’ card says “When any player (including you) is battling a Monster.” Since we were still busy populating the room, was I battling Xykon yet? If I’d had to wait until the monster stack was completed, I would have had to discard the ‘I Forgot’ card before I could have used it, in order to draw more Monster cards.
    What you did is 100% legal, yes. You are battling the first Monster in the room the moment it is laid down.

More to the point, the following answer is wrong:

Technically, thats an illegal move, but not for the reason you suspect.

"I forgot they could do that" lets you ignore an ability the monster has. Abilities are things listed in the back of the rulebook, such as Flying, Bloodlust, Leader, or Invulnerable. Support is not an ability, its a characteristic of the monster, same as its attack rating.

However, what would have been a legal play would have been to play "I forgot..." on Xykon's Horde ability, which would have immediately reduced the battle size to 5, (4th lair + Leader). Any monster beyond the 5th would be discarded, and Xykon's Attack and Defense would have been quite manageable for you :).
    This is incorrect, because you NEVER discard Monsters because the battle size is reduced. Battle Size is only checked while the battle is being triggered; once the Monsters are in the room, no change to the Battle Size can cause them to be discarded. You could, however, play IFTCDT to cancel Horde in the middle of people playing Monsters to keep the battle from growing even bigger.

However, it is correct that you can only cancel one of the Support Abilities, either Horde or Assist, not the entire Support concept. Once the Monsters are down and the Battle Size has been fulfilled, though, canceling Horde is essentially meaningless.

Another question: Is picking up Loot the only thing that you can't do BOTH at the beginning AND end of your turn? For example, could I equip Loot at the beginning of my turn, move, battle, collect loot, and then equip Loot again? Could I do the same thing with turning in monsters for shticks?
    Yes, you can do all of those things twice except for 1.) pick up Loot from a room that did not have Monsters in it at all on your turn, and 2.) search for stairs.

Q: Can players equip loot (with their own drool factors, of course) that has no effect? Can Haley equip a Bag of Gold and have it count towards her loot to enter Xykon's Lair?
    Can and should, yes.

edit: I thought of another one. With a 2-player game, the first player adds 2 monsters to the battle stack and then the second player adds one if the battle size is 3 or more. If it's more than 3, does it keep alternating 2-1-2-1-2-1... or does the first player only play 2 monsters the first time so the order is 2-1-1-1-1...?
    I'd wait for Kevin's thought on this, but I've been playing 2-1-1-1-1...

The number of Loot paid does not change, no. Generally, the advantage of healing two or three wounds is 1.) increased benefit when you are healing yourself, and 2.) increased desire on the part of other players to be healed by you instead of resting/exiting the dungeon, and thus greater chance that they will spend a Loot on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bwcMD
    Turn Undead specifically says right on the card that you can't use it against Xykon. Treat Xykon as simply not being there for the purpose of using that shtick; the card just ignores him. Note that you CAN use it at Range 0 even if Xykon is the top monster, it just doesn't affect him. Technically, the top monster IS undead, even if it is a monster with a specific immunity to the shtick, making the conditions needed to use the card true. Thus, you can use the shtick.

Turning Xykon's undead out from under him is a great strategy, by the way. You bypass Xykon's ultrahigh Defense because he cannot be affected by the card!

Is the intent of Haley's Second-in-Command shtick the same as Roy's party leader veto in that its only meant to be used at the beginning of your turn?
    Yes.

With Fireball, its possible that boosting a fireball could actually _hurt_ Var, by making it too hard for Var to actually kill the monsters in the stack, for example if the best of the first two monsters in the stack had 10 defense, but the third monster had 15 defense, a boost might make it so that Var killed no monsters rather than two or three. A Get Angry! card played by another player might be used to this end. Because of this, should players be able to choose between using a fireball and between a garden variety fireball, or should boosts be forced?
    Boosts are not voluntary. A Get Angry! card used in such a manner would be a clever and devious tactic that is 100% legal. Likewise, V could use a card to flip one of his/her own Fireball spells to "unboost" it.

Also, can a player use Poorly Planned Illusion on Xykon's stack without using it on Xykon himself?
    No. You still need to contend with Xykon's Attack/Defense, you just don't get to move him if you succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer5389
    A similar question as the previous poster, can you choose an area effect shtick but not use the area effect?
    No, Area Effect is mandatory. Trust me, you wouldn't want to see Vaarsuvius if he/she could turn off Fireball's AE!

Additionally, the list of what you may or may not do while fleeing the dungeon does not include a ruling on trading in loot for schticks. May you or may you not?

Similarly, may someone assist another player while they are fleeing the dungeon?
    No, to both. You may not do anything while fleeing the dungeon other than what is required of you.

If several people are dead and at the dungeon enterance while Xykon is killed how does the BR for fleeing the dungeon work? Do they get 0 because they died? Do all the people who were there when Xykon died tie? Do they retroactively get points in the order they reached the top?
    In this extremely unlikely event, the order of play would decide who was first. The first player to get their turn would essentially end it immediately and score as the first player out, then the second player to get their turn, and so on.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

20. - Top - End - #110

PaladinGuy

Thanks for all the answers above!

A thing or two more to add/ponder:

The whole 2-1-2-1 vs 2-1-1-1 thing is answered on page 11 in the "Two-Player Game" sidebar.

It says "... whichever player isn't triggering the battle plays 2 cards the FIRST TIME their turn to play monsters comes up."

Also, Giant, in regards to using IDKTCDT to target the Horde ability, I think the Ape gamer had said somewhere else in the FAQ or on this board that if you removed the horde ability after monsters were down, the players that played the last monsters would retrieve their cards from the battle stack until the size is appropriate. Is there a particular spirit or ruling to this question you think we should play by?

Thanks again.
    Wanderlust

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Great answers and thanks!

Q: If Elan defends against a player attack using Poorly Planned Illusion and wins . . . what happens? A draw? He can move the attacking player?

Thanks!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay here is one.

Belkar had a Loot which is three times drooled over by Elan. I knew this because he tried to use it to gain assistance from me with it. I refused it because of a couple of backstabbing events earlier. He steps into an empty room and triggers a new stack of monsters. He fails his Defense (ooo, its blue text) and is injured for the fourth time (A monster did it, I swear) and subsequently is forced to drop a random Loot and begin fleeing. He only had three Loot at the time so odds are not bad that this Loot is the one I want. He moves away immediately (this is another question, if he already moved shouldn’t he wait till his next turn to move again?).

On my (Elan’s) turn I step into the room and defeat the monsters. They drop three more Loot. Now, in which order do the Loot get dropped? Do the new Loot go on the bottom, like monster placement, or on top as the rule wording would imply. The rules also specifically state that you must take from the top Loot. Why is that? I suppose it is assumed you would not know what the Loot is so picking from the top is the easiest method. However, in this situation I know what one loot is (or might be), and at the very least I know that the one Belkar dropped is not a trap.
    When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it\'s really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you\'re pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it\'s death by meteor.

23. - Top - End - #113

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BrighamJudd
    (this is another question, if he already moved shouldn’t he wait till his next turn to move again?).

Now, in which order do the Loot get dropped?
    At first we used to flee the dungeon imediately when you took your last wound, even if you had moved already that turn. I think somewhere in the examples it said you move right away. However, in one of the examples, it states that you would move 3 spaces towards the entrance at the start of your next turn. The way my group plays, you flee on the next turn after you hit your last wound.

As for loot, make sure you drop it in order. I can't remember if this is in the rules specifically, but it seems like so much stop refers to taking the top loot that it would matter.

I guess my answers don't really help, since they're not official. But this is the way we've been playing, and it's been a lot of fun so far.
    Wanderlust

24. - Top - End - #114

PaladinGuy

I also thought of a new one that came up the other day and was kind of tricky.

Q: If you use a ranged attack on another player (Haley's longbow or V's fireball, for instance), does the winner still take a piece of equipped loot from the loser, even if it's like 3 squares away?

The rules don't specify, but it seems wierd to take loot from someone three rooms away after hitting them with an arrow. We currently play so that the winner always takes one loot in a PvP battle, regardless of the range.
    Wanderlust

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is it possible to get healed by Durkon while fleeing? If so, can Durkon heal himself?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

I have a new (I think) rules question. My wife and I were playing tonight and couldn't figure out if magic schticks can be flipped on a turn that you rest. She's playing Durkon and wanted to Cure Assorted Wounds in addition to resting, but the section on resting doesn't mention whether non-combat schticks are flippable on resting turns.

Thanks for your help!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Also, Giant, in regards to using IDKTCDT to target the Horde ability, I think the Ape gamer had said somewhere else in the FAQ or on this board that if you removed the horde ability after monsters were down, the players that played the last monsters would retrieve their cards from the battle stack until the size is appropriate. Is there a particular spirit or ruling to this question you think we should play by?
    See, that's why I was supposed to wait to talk to him first. :P

Well, that's news to me. I don't really care for the idea of picking cards back up and putting them back into your hand. But it doesn't really matter either way, as long as your group picks a method and sticks with it. Chances are, Apegamer's answer is the right one that will get into the FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Uthrac
    Q: If Elan defends against a player attack using Poorly Planned Illusion and wins . . . what happens? A draw? He can move the attacking player?
    Poorly Planned Illusion specifies that it targets Monsters; it cannot be used against another player at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BrighamJudd
    Belkar had a Loot which is three times drooled over by Elan. I knew this because he tried to use it to gain assistance from me with it. I refused it because of a couple of backstabbing events earlier. He steps into an empty room and triggers a new stack of monsters. He fails his Defense (ooo, its blue text) and is injured for the fourth time (A monster did it, I swear) and subsequently is forced to drop a random Loot and begin fleeing. He only had three Loot at the time so odds are not bad that this Loot is the one I want. He moves away immediately (this is another question, if he already moved shouldn’t he wait till his next turn to move again?).

On my (Elan’s) turn I step into the room and defeat the monsters. They drop three more Loot. Now, in which order do the Loot get dropped? Do the new Loot go on the bottom, like monster placement, or on top as the rule wording would imply. The rules also specifically state that you must take from the top Loot. Why is that? I suppose it is assumed you would not know what the Loot is so picking from the top is the easiest method. However, in this situation I know what one loot is (or might be), and at the very least I know that the one Belkar dropped is not a trap.
    No, the new Loot goes on the top of the pile, exactly as the rules imply. Why? Because we specifically did NOT want players "counting cards" like that to draw a Loot card from the middle or bottom of a stack. We had to pick one way to do it, and that was it. And it's easier to draw off the top than the bottom, by a lot.

Q: If you use a ranged attack on another player (Haley's longbow or V's fireball, for instance), does the winner still take a piece of equipped loot from the loser, even if it's like 3 squares away?
    Yup, Range has no effect. Whoops, turns out page 25 clearly spells out that you must be at Range 0 to steal Loot from another player. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Angel
    Is it possible to get healed by Durkon while fleeing? If so, can Durkon heal himself?
    Page 19 states that you "cannot be healed until you exit the dungeon". That includes Durkon's shticks.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

V uses Blackwing to retrieve a loot from range. That loot is a trap. Is the trap triggered in the room the loot was in (I think he's requesting morphine), or V's room (What is he carrying... Expeditious Retreat!)?

29. - Top - End - #119

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by seoman
    V uses Blackwing to retrieve a loot from range. That loot is a trap. Is the trap triggered in the room the loot was in (I think he's requesting morphine), or V's room (What is he carrying... Expeditious Retreat!)?
    We came accross this same situation. Not sure what the answer is, but we had the trap trigger on V as if blackwing brought the loot back to his room.

Another question regarding V's fireball:

If you fireball into a room with one monster and another player, you have to target the player, right? Our confusion was that if so, it seems like you're having a player vs monster and player vs player battle at the same time. Is this okay?
    Wanderlust

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

Another question regarding V's fireball:

If you fireball into a room with one monster and another player, you have to target the player, right? Our confusion was that if so, it seems like you're having a player vs monster and player vs player battle at the same time. Is this okay?
    Like Elan's Poorly Planned Illusion, V's Fireball specifies that it targets monsters, so you can't hit a player with it. :(