New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules Questions

1. - Top - End - #121
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Rules Questions

Quote Originally Posted by seoman
    V uses Blackwing to retrieve a loot from range. That loot is a trap. Is the trap triggered in the room the loot was in (I think he's requesting morphine), or V's room (What is he carrying... Expeditious Retreat!)?
    The trap triggers in the room in which it is revealed, as normal. If V and all other players are outside of the trap's Range, then it has no effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust
    If you fireball into a room with one monster and another player, you have to target the player, right? Our confusion was that if so, it seems like you're having a player vs monster and player vs player battle at the same time. Is this okay?
    The first bullet point under "Area Effect Shticks" on page 18 states that they may not be used in player vs. player battles. This is reinforced on the card by stating that it targets Monsters. If you fireball into a room with players and monsters, you are always attacking the Monsters. The players are unaffected.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fujin

Like Elan's Poorly Planned Illusion, V's Fireball specifies that it targets monsters, so you can't hit a player with it. :(
    Aha, that explains it. Thank you.
    Wanderlust

"If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."

You are Stable, dependable, and fond of beer.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

Dang it, Giant, you've missed my question twice now :). I'll repeat it here for your convenience:

I have a new (I think) rules question. My wife and I were playing tonight and couldn't figure out if magic schticks can be flipped on a turn that you rest. She's playing Durkon and wanted to Cure Assorted Wounds in addition to resting, but the section on resting doesn't mention whether non-combat schticks are flippable on resting turns.

Thanks for your help!

4. - Top - End - #124

PaladinGuy

Q: If you use a ranged attack on another player (Haley's longbow or V's fireball, for instance), does the winner still take a piece of equipped loot from the loser, even if it's like 3 squares away?

The rules don't specify, but it seems wierd to take loot from someone three rooms away after hitting them with an arrow. We currently play so that the winner always takes one loot in a PvP battle, regardless of the range.
    After reading through the rules again, it says under the Loot section that you may steal an equipped loot from a player after beating them in battle if at range = 0. I swear I'm not trying to contradict anyone's answers (Giant) regarding rules questions, as it still seems it could go both ways. However, in that particular paragraph it specifically states only if Range = 0, where as in the Player Vs. Player section of the rules it only says take one loot from the losing player, not specifying range at all.

Sorry to be picky, I just want to make sure we're playing with your original intentions in mind. Still loving the game.
    Wanderlust

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marquoz
    Dang it, Giant, you've missed my question twice now :). I'll repeat it here for your convenience:

I have a new (I think) rules question. My wife and I were playing tonight and couldn't figure out if magic schticks can be flipped on a turn that you rest. She's playing Durkon and wanted to Cure Assorted Wounds in addition to resting, but the section on resting doesn't mention whether non-combat schticks are flippable on resting turns.

Thanks for your help!
    I don't think there is a rule on this, but this is the house rule my group uses:

You may flip a schtick before you rest, including the turn you rest, but not during the turn while you are resting. The intent of resting is that you are asleep, and thus cannot take any actions. However, since flipping a schtick does not take an action of your turn, you are allowed to do it before resting.

6. - Top - End - #126

(Ignore this, a glitch is making certain posts at the top of new pages disappear...)
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Marquoz
    You can flip non-Battle shticks at any time, unless the shtick itself has a limit printed on it. Thus, Durkon can flip Cure Assorted Wounds while resting.

After reading through the rules again, it says under the Loot section that you may steal an equipped loot from a player after beating them in battle if at range = 0. I swear I'm not trying to contradict anyone's answers (Giant) regarding rules questions, as it still seems it could go both ways. However, in that particular paragraph it specifically states only if Range = 0, where as in the Player Vs. Player section of the rules it only says take one loot from the losing player, not specifying range at all.
    Damn it. You know, I actually thought that WAS the rule, and then I looked up the secion in the rulebook and thought we had left it out. Then yeah, if it made it into the rulebook, then it should only be at Range 0. I'll change my answer above.
    Rich Burlew

8. - Top - End - #128

Kobold

here are two questions that came up that we wanted to make sure about.

One: can Haley or Roy use the Party Leader Veto to force someone to use a shtick (this came up when Haley wanted to force Elan to do some wacky hijinks, as opposed to just flipping it so he could not use it) or can you only flip a shtick so the person can't use it?

two: For Elan's bard songs, does the person get one bonus overall for the roll, or, is the bard song bonus for each individual loot card given to Elan, or is it the unlikely situation of the bard song bonus is given for each drool factor?

For example, Belkar offers Elan 2 loot, one with a drool factor of one, and one with a drool factor of 2 (The Sorcerer's Fruit Pie with one Elan Icon and the book of Dwarven Sea Chanties with 2 Elan icons for example) while Elan has 3 bard songs out, does belkar get a +9 (+6 for the drooling, and +3 for the bard song) a +12 (plus 5 for the pie, and plus 7 for the chanties) or a huge +15 (+5 for each drool icon)?

Those were the only things we could question so far.
    Also, thank you for the game as it is quite fun, and we have enjoyed playing it.
    "Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!" -Matt Frewer

I'm whitey, and I appologize!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

First off, love the Adventure game. Played it at GenCon, and then pre-ordered it as soon as I had my laptop in my hands. I was pleased as punch when I got it, and my local group played it as soon as we were able.

As could be expected, a couple of questions came up. The first is about Haley's "Swipe" Schtick. If you use this Schtick on a monster, and successfully swipe a loot from underneath it, can you continue to attack/defend as if you had actually killed the monster?

Secondly, in a less-than-six-player game, say you're in the following situation: You're Roy, and you're on the third level. The other players are on levels one or two (ergo, the NPC PCs are on the same level as Roy). How should the "you can't give loot drooled over a player to an NPC PC" rule be handled in this situation? We played it that it went to the NPC PC, as there was no way to give it to a player (what with them being on a different level, and all).

Thanks for answering questions, and for creating such a great game! :)

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Parallel Toothpick
    here are two questions that came up that we wanted to make sure about.

One: can Haley or Roy use the Party Leader Veto to force someone to use a shtick (this came up when Haley wanted to force Elan to do some wacky hijinks, as opposed to just flipping it so he could not use it) or can you only flip a shtick so the person can't use it?
    You can't force them to use it, but my group does allow you to ask them to use it with a party leader veto :P. If they refuse, the schtick flips with no effect.

two: For Elan's bard songs, does the person get one bonus overall for the roll, or, is the bard song bonus for each individual loot card given to Elan, or is it the unlikely situation of the bard song bonus is given for each drool factor?
    It is per combat, Elan can't "sing harder" for more loot (heck, you'd have to bribe Elan NOT to sing as loudly, not the other way around!)

Quote Originally Posted by Valanthe Meliamne
    As could be expected, a couple of questions came up. The first is about Haley's "Swipe" Schtick. If you use this Schtick on a monster, and successfully swipe a loot from underneath it, can you continue to attack/defend as if you had actually killed the monster?
    No idea on this one... we haven't had anyone play Haley yet, good question though!

Secondly, in a less-than-six-player game, say you're in the following situation: You're Roy, and you're on the third level. The other players are on levels one or two (ergo, the NPC PCs are on the same level as Roy). How should the "you can't give loot drooled over a player to an NPC PC" rule be handled in this situation? We played it that it went to the NPC PC, as there was no way to give it to a player (what with them being on a different level, and all).
    Thats not how we did it. The PC-NPC rule applies regardless of where the characters are. If you can't give something to Durkon because Belkar is a player, the fact that Belkar is on another level doesn't matter.

The intention of this rule is to make it harder to remove loot from the game (by giving it to NPCs), if you have to wait for Belkar to come down, you have to wait :).

Thanks for answering questions, and for creating such a great game! :)[/quote]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

This thread has been super-informative. Here's a question that's come up for us in playing that we haven't fully resolved yet...

when you are playing monsters, and you play your *last* monster, but still have "screw this!" cards in your hand, do you discard those cards immediately & draw a new battle deck b/c you have no more monsters, or do you wait until you are called upon to play a monster and then draw new cards?

CT

12. - Top - End - #132

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CherryTree
    This thread has been super-informative. Here's a question that's come up for us in playing that we haven't fully resolved yet...

when you are playing monsters, and you play your *last* monster, but still have "screw this!" cards in your hand, do you discard those cards immediately & draw a new battle deck b/c you have no more monsters, or do you wait until you are called upon to play a monster and then draw new cards?

CT

You wait until you are called up to play a monster. You can stay with only Screw This cards or even no hand for quite a while sometimes, if your opponent isn't moving into empty rooms. I've come to play my Screw This cards at any opportunity I can, even if it's not the perfect moment for it. Better play it than discard it, I say.
    Wanderlust

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CherryTree
    ...when you are playing monsters, and you play your *last* monster, but still have "screw this!" cards in your hand, do you discard those cards immediately & draw a new battle deck b/c you have no more monsters, or do you wait until you are called upon to play a monster and then draw new cards?
    You should always wait until you are called upon to play a monster card before discarding any unused Screw This! cards and drawing a new battle hand.

All of the details of managing your Battle Hand can be found on page 11 of the Full Rulebook. Look in the section called "Playing Monsters" and also in the section with the black background right above it called "Your Battle Hand".

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

Ooh, thanks-- most helpful w/ the page references. I felt like I'd flipped through the rule book a thousand times already in trying to play and somehow the playing monsters/battle hand procedures never sunk in. Thanks for the quick replies!

CT

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

Swipe was intended to provide Haley with a thematically appropriate alternative to direct combat. Since Swipe doesn't actually defeat the monster (ie. remove it from the encounter), Haley cannot continue on to attack/defend the next monster in the stack.

This is covered in the section "NPC Players" on page 13 in the Full Rulebook. You cannot offer loot to NPCs for assistance in battle if the loot has any of the PCs faces on it. It doesn't matter if the PC whose face is on the loot is currently on a different level of the dungeon. Because loot plays such an essential role to the victory condition and other parts of the gameplay, the rules were designed to prevent players from discarding the other player's loot faces by giving loot to NPCs.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

Was there an offical answer to the question of flee movement if you receive the final wound on your turn after you have moved?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but I'm asking anyway, just in case:

If you empty your hand completely by playing a monster or screw this card, do you wait till you're called upon to play a monster before you draw again?

Other questions

I still have to wonder about Haley's swipe ability. You see, the rules read: "If you won the battle and there are additional monsters in the same room, you may choose to battle the next Monster in the Battle Stack" It seems to me that any even in which you don't draw is considered a win, ergo Haley can steal multiple times...as long as there is loot. In fact, Haley could, feasably, attack and kill the top monster, swipe it's treasure, then kill the next one, swiping its treasure, etc.

Another question: May you make a ranged attack into a room with both monsters in players and attack the player? And, if you kill all the monsters may you continue and attack the player?

Thanks bunches

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnistar
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but I'm asking anyway, just in case:

If you empty your hand completely by playing a monster or screw this card, do you wait till you're called upon to play a monster before you draw again?
    You never draw a new hand unless you are required to play a monster and can't.

Other questions

I still have to wonder about Haley's swipe ability. You see, the rules read: "If you won the battle and there are additional monsters in the same room, you may choose to battle the next Monster in the Battle Stack" It seems to me that any even in which you don't draw is considered a win, ergo Haley can steal multiple times...as long as there is loot. In fact, Haley could, feasably, attack and kill the top monster, swipe it's treasure, then kill the next one, swiping its treasure, etc.
    This was answered two posts above yours :P

"Swipe was intended to provide Haley with a thematically appropriate alternative to direct combat. Since Swipe doesn't actually defeat the monster (ie. remove it from the encounter), Haley cannot continue on to attack/defend the next monster in the stack."

Another question: May you make a ranged attack into a room with both monsters in players and attack the player? And, if you kill all the monsters may you continue and attack the player?

Thanks bunches
    You can never make more than one ranged attack per turn, the only time you can continue fighting after an attack is if you are in the same room as the monsters. And no, you can either attack a player or attack the monsters, not both.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

*blinks at himself* Woah amni....stupid question at the end there :p.

As for Haley's swipe ability, I am then curious if a successful swipe attempt from haley against a player results in 2 loot being stolen? 1 for the swipe ability, and 1 for winning the fight?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnistar
    *blinks at himself* Woah amni....stupid question at the end there :p.

As for Haley's swipe ability, I am then curious if a successful swipe attempt from haley against a player results in 2 loot being stolen? 1 for the swipe ability, and 1 for winning the fight?
    Swipe is a battle shtick and therefore qualifies for the benefits associated with PvP combat. Therefore you would get 2 loots (1 for the successful Swipe, and 1 for the PvP victory). This post was initially incorrect and was modified thanks to feedback from Fujin.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

Ignore this. A glitch is causing certain posts at the top of new pages to disappear.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krago
    Since Swipe is considered an alternative to combat, Haley would only get one loot (as described in the result text for the Swipe shtick). Swipe does not grant any of the other benefits associated with engaging in combat versus either Monsters or Players.
    I disagree with this answer.

Nothing on the Swipe Schtick indicates that it is an "alternative to combat" schtick. It is a combat schtick, except its result text reads something other than "Foe takes 1 wound."

As such, I believe that Amnistar is correct in assuming that he would get 2 loot when using Swipe, since 1 loot would come from Swipe (rather than from loosing a wound as with most attack schticks), and then the additional loot which is part of any successful attack against another player.

My interpretation of the rules seems to be supported by page 17 of the rulebook, which states:

"The winning player applies the Result Text of their chosen Battle Shtick to the loser. For many Battle Shticks, this will result in 1 wound being applied to the other player. Another might cause the losing player to miss a turn or allow the winning player to draw a random Loot from the losing player's Loot Stash.

In addition, the winning player may take one equipped Loot from the losing player, of the winner's choice.
    This Loot is added..."

This exerpt seems to refer to this exact situation, and confirms that, indeed, two loot would be drawn. :)

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

The rules state that now Xyclon deck cards have red X's, but mine do. Should I save them?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Angel
    The rules state that now Xyclon deck cards have red X's, but mine do. Should I save them?
    Save them. That is a rule that was probably meant not to make the rules, seeing as the cards -were- printed with X's. Not to mention having cards with X's on them that -aren't- worth experience is counter-intuitive.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fujin

I disagree with this answer.

Nothing on the Swipe Schtick indicates that it is an "alternative to combat" schtick. It is a combat schtick, except its result text reads something other than "Foe takes 1 wound."

As such, I believe that Amnistar is correct in assuming that he would get 2 loot when using Swipe, since 1 loot would come from Swipe (rather than from loosing a wound as with most attack schticks), and then the additional loot which is part of any successful attack against another player.

My interpretation of the rules seems to be supported by page 17 of the rulebook, which states:

"The winning player applies the Result Text of their chosen Battle Shtick to the loser. For many Battle Shticks, this will result in 1 wound being applied to the other player. Another might cause the losing player to miss a turn or allow the winning player to draw a random Loot from the losing player's Loot Stash.

In addition, the winning player may take one equipped Loot from the losing player, of the winner's choice.
    This Loot is added..."

This exerpt seems to refer to this exact situation, and confirms that, indeed, two loot would be drawn. :)
    I agree with Fujin's interpretation and will modify my previous post. When I posted on this topic earlier, I was still thinking of the context where this shtick is used on monsters. I should have re-read the PVP-rules on page 17 before posting. Swipe is indeed a battle shtick and would be entitled to the benefits of winning a PVP battle.

Kudos to Fujin for catching this.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

I assume that multiple schticks like bard song and great cleavage don't all apply, so that 2 bard songs wouldn't grant a +4 bonus. Correct?

27. - Top - End - #147
    APE Games in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Angel
    I assume that multiple schticks like bard song and great cleavage don't all apply, so that 2 bard songs wouldn't grant a +4 bonus. Correct?
    Multilple shticks provide the boost effect listed at the bottom of the shtick card. So a second Bard Song would provide an additional +1 bonus.
    Owner of APE Games.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Re: Rules Questions

I tried searching, but it seems that nothing comes up at all (even when I search for words I see that have been posted).

Lets say we are on level 1. When Redcloak is placed into battle.

Redcloak is a Leader (Battle size +1) and when supported by Goblin's has the Horde (Battle size +1 per supporting card). So, if we start with Redcloak and the additional monster I play is a Goblin, would that further expand the battle size to 3?
    Last edited by Valor; 2006-10-27 at 08:16 PM. Reason: found the card

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Am I correct in thinking that the Outsmart example on page 31 is incorrect? Elan's Dumb As Mud shtick should make him immune to Nale's Outsmart.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valor View Post
    I tried searching, but it seems that nothing comes up at all (even when I search for words I see that have been posted).

Lets say we are on level 1. When Redcloak is placed into battle.

Redcloak is a Leader (Battle size +1) and when supported by Goblin's has the Horde (Battle size +1 per supporting card). So, if we start with Redcloak and the additional monster I play is a Goblin, would that further expand the battle size to 3?
    Correct. And if the 3rd card is a Goblin, the battle sizegrows once more. And recall that supporting cards are everything on the same floor that supports, not just what's in the room.