A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 609

Thread: Rules Questions

  1. - Top - End - #181
    APE Games in the Playground
     
    apegamer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sniping into a stack (also fireball)

    Quote Originally Posted by Adeptus View Post
    The wording on the ranged attack description made us think that any creature within reach was fair game. Is this what is intended?

    This makes it possible to snipe the demon roaches from the bottom of a stack, so they won't be there later to assist the topmost creature in a fight.

    Relating to that is a question regarding V's fireball. It effects several creatures in a stack. Does V get to choose which (as we played), or does it effect the topmost n cards (as I now think)?
    You must attack piles top-down in both cases. For area effects, you affect the top X monsters in the pile. Those pesky demon roaches are safe on the bottom of the pile until you nuke everything else.
    Owner of APE Games.

  2. - Top - End - #182
    APE Games in the Playground
     
    apegamer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ambush / Xykon clarification needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Adeptus View Post
    "...when this card enters play" was really confusing, since it never seemed to come up. Does the ambush happen the first time that creature is fought (as the card comes to the top of the stack) or only if that card is played as the top card?
    If the monster is encountered on the turn it comes into play.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adeptus View Post
    I also found it a bit perplexing that Xykon is always on the top of his own stack, and that the dungeon collapse ends when he is defeated. From the comic, I'd have fought you have to fight a roomfull of people to get to him.
    Monsters below Xykon are used to beef him up. The 'big fight' before meeting Xykon happens in the other rooms in Xykon's Lair.
    Owner of APE Games.

  3. - Top - End - #183
    APE Games in the Playground
     
    apegamer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Toriko View Post
    I have a few question about assisting

    When a player is assisting in a fight does that bonus last only for the battle with the top monster in the room?
    Yes, only for a single die roll (i.e. single battle.)

    I should add this as a clarification to the FAQ, as I get this question while I'm demo'ing the game.
    Owner of APE Games.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North Dallas,TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    1. some of the Xykon floor cards specify that you can not rest in that room, while most do not, and the Safe Haven specifically says you can. Does this mean that the part on the safe haven is just an extra sentance, or can you not rest in the rest of the xykon floor rooms and the Xykon's Secret Layer cards have the extra sentance?

    2. this is more of a general curiosity question, but why can you only use Roy's charge schtick when going into empty rooms, rather than anytime you end your movement in a room causing you to fight monsters? also, do you have to choose to use the charge before monsters are played or can you wait to see what you have to fight before choosing whether you charged in?
    "Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!" -Matt Frewer

    I'm whitey, and I appologize!

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    My first game to reach Xykon's lair "ended" about an hour ago, but we weren't sure on how to handle Xykon exactly. It was a short game (2 player), so we were on level 4, and I enter the Throne Room and find Xykon. Unluckily, just prior to this, I had picked up a new battle deck hand consisting of a beige dragon and three demon roaches (one was the king). My friend chose to put a leader with horde ability down beneath Xykon along with something else, so I already had to put at least the rest of my battle hand in the room as well. Seeing as this consisted of the three henchmen, the battle size was suddenly so big, that we couldn't avoid supporting something with horde, no matter what we put down (more or less). When we were done, the rest of the battle deck cards were in that pile, giving Xykon 68 attack and defense from the 25 undead and goblins under him. Is this right? We ended the game shortly after, seeing as none of us (Roy, Durkon) could anything about him like that.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ottawa,Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ske View Post
    My first game to reach Xykon's lair "ended" about an hour ago, but we weren't sure on how to handle Xykon exactly. It was a short game (2 player), so we were on level 4, and I enter the Throne Room and find Xykon. Unluckily, just prior to this, I had picked up a new battle deck hand consisting of a beige dragon and three demon roaches (one was the king). My friend chose to put a leader with horde ability down beneath Xykon along with something else, so I already had to put at least the rest of my battle hand in the room as well. Seeing as this consisted of the three henchmen, the battle size was suddenly so big, that we couldn't avoid supporting something with horde, no matter what we put down (more or less). When we were done, the rest of the battle deck cards were in that pile, giving Xykon 68 attack and defense from the 25 undead and goblins under him. Is this right? We ended the game shortly after, seeing as none of us (Roy, Durkon) could anything about him like that.
    You did it right. Whenever you go down to Xykon's level, you really want to be careful about how much support you give him. In your case, you should have made sure your battle hand was adequately stocked with non-support cards before you went down. And opposing players need to make a balance between having a Xykon that will stop you this time and having a Xykon that can never be beaten.

    In your case, there were also a few things you can do. First, Durkon's turn undead schtick can still be used on all the undead under Xykon, which would remove some support. Second, if you get the Screw This card "I forgot they could do that", you can remove Xykon's support Assist and then have a much more even fight.
    Arcade

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcade View Post
    In your case, there were also a few things you can do. First, Durkon's turn undead schtick can still be used on all the undead under Xykon, which would remove some support. Second, if you get the Screw This card "I forgot they could do that", you can remove Xykon's support Assist and then have a much more even fight.

    We did consider that, but we ended before he got it. Most rooms on floors 1-2 were 'out of bounds' because of stuff we couldn't kill for various reasons (mostly flying), so my friend playing Durkon never got very many shticks. I had all shticks as Roy, but he's a one-at-a-time kind of guy.
    I did have "I forgot they could that" at some point, obviously, as we went through the entire battle deck, but we weren't sure if it could be used on support abilities. We agreed that it couldn't, since it would make Xykon a pushover. 16/16 atk/def seemed too easy.

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Question The Lute Card (Elan Shtick)

    The Lute card says you can flip a "Bard Song" card.

    My question is: If you have 3 "Bard Song" cards in play, can you flip all three of them at once to get 3x the bonus, or are you limited to one per turn?

    I played with flipping all 3 and it worked fairly well. But it is fairly powerful.

    Thanks!

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Giant in the Playground Administrator
     
    The Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Zavod View Post
    The Lute card says you can flip a "Bard Song" card.

    My question is: If you have 3 "Bard Song" cards in play, can you flip all three of them at once to get 3x the bonus, or are you limited to one per turn?

    I played with flipping all 3 and it worked fairly well. But it is fairly powerful.
    You played it correctly. It is fairly powerful, but can only be used once before needing to rest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ske View Post
    My first game to reach Xykon's lair "ended" about an hour ago, but we weren't sure on how to handle Xykon exactly. It was a short game (2 player), so we were on level 4, and I enter the Throne Room and find Xykon. Unluckily, just prior to this, I had picked up a new battle deck hand consisting of a beige dragon and three demon roaches (one was the king). My friend chose to put a leader with horde ability down beneath Xykon along with something else, so I already had to put at least the rest of my battle hand in the room as well. Seeing as this consisted of the three henchmen, the battle size was suddenly so big, that we couldn't avoid supporting something with horde, no matter what we put down (more or less). When we were done, the rest of the battle deck cards were in that pile, giving Xykon 68 attack and defense from the 25 undead and goblins under him. Is this right? We ended the game shortly after, seeing as none of us (Roy, Durkon) could anything about him like that.
    Yes, you played it correctly. This is one of those things that works out better when you have played the game a few times and can predict the likely results. It is usually to the benefit of players to not carry around demon roach cards when someone is going towards Xykon, or to save cards that can nullify Xykon's Support somehow.

    Also, don't forget that there is no limit to the amount of Loot you can offer NPCs from your hand for one battle, so in a two-player game, you can offer Loot to V, Haley, Belkar, and Elan in large quantities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kumquat View Post
    1. some of the Xykon floor cards specify that you can not rest in that room, while most do not, and the Safe Haven specifically says you can. Does this mean that the part on the safe haven is just an extra sentance, or can you not rest in the rest of the xykon floor rooms and the Xykon's Secret Layer cards have the extra sentance?
    It is an extra sentence, leftover from a point in time when the proto-rules said you couldn't rest in ANY room in Xykon's Lair. That proved too harsh, so we changed it to only not being able to rest in the corridors. However, the room still functions normally, and may be useful in certain variants where the rules again state that there's no resting in Xykon's Lair.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kumquat View Post
    2. this is more of a general curiosity question, but why can you only use Roy's charge schtick when going into empty rooms, rather than anytime you end your movement in a room causing you to fight monsters?
    Balance. Roy is really powerful already, and giving him the option of using Charge in essentially every fight would be too much of an advantage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kumquat View Post
    also, do you have to choose to use the charge before monsters are played or can you wait to see what you have to fight before choosing whether you charged in?
    You can use Charge at any time after the first Monster is played up until you roll the die.

    Quote Originally Posted by ira212 View Post
    OK, let me try again:
    Durkon: Belkar, I see that you're 1 wound away from death. I could heal you with my twice-boosted Cure Assorted Wounds for 3. In compensation, I would expect loot worthy of my immense holy power of healing.
    Belkar: I have this loot that you doubly drool over. Would that meet your needs, your holiness?
    Durkon: Yes, my child. I heal you. (flips over the Cure Assorted Wounds spell.)
    Belkar: (hands Durkon a loot card...)

    Given the agreement, must Belkar give Durkon the claimed loot (i.e. does Durkon know what he's getting in advance?), or could Belkar give anything?
    Belkar is not required to show Durkon what Loot he will give in advance. If Belkar agrees, Durkon heals him, and then Belkar picks one Loot from his Loot Stash and hands it to Durkon, without requiring Durkon's approval. Belkar could, I suppose, show Durkon a specific Loot and say he will give it to him in return for a heal, but the rules do not require Belkar to honor his word in that regard.

    Remember that ALL Loot is useful, though; Durkon gathers a lot of Loot that isn't Drool-Worthy, but he can then turn around and use that to gain assistance in battle.
    Rich Burlew


    A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameŚnow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

    ~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    I have a question about Elan's Poorly Planned Illusion. Actually it was funnier when I did not realize the text says that I *may* move a monster, not *must*. Anyways, I was in the second room in Xykon's lair, and the only available room to move the monster to was the Safe Haven, which has a battle size of 0! Is it legal to move a monster in a room with a battle size of 0? Or in that case should I have won but kept the monster in the same room as me?

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default penultimate arcane power

    my set doesnt have any penultimate arcane powers. for that matter it only has 3 of Vs starting shticks. Can anyone tell me what the penultimate power card shtick does, and what V's 4 starting shticks are?

    Thanks

  12. - Top - End - #192
    APE Games in the Playground
     
    apegamer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: penultimate arcane power

    Quote Originally Posted by whatsit View Post
    my set doesnt have any penultimate arcane powers. for that matter it only has 3 of Vs starting shticks. Can anyone tell me what the penultimate power card shtick does, and what V's 4 starting shticks are?
    Please email me privately with contact information, along with what cards you're missing and we'll replace them.

    The full list of game components can be found in a sticky post on this same forum.
    Owner of APE Games.

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    One question that came up last night was Roy's Party Leadership schtick. It states that when he assists someone in battle, he may either heal a wound or unflip a schitck. I took this to mean heal one of Roy's wounds or unflip one of Roy's schticks, but the rest of my party said he could heal anyone or unflip anyone's schtick with that ability since it does not specifically refer to him. Which of us is right?

  14. - Top - End - #194
    APE Games in the Playground
     
    apegamer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
    One question that came up last night was Roy's Party Leadership schtick. It states that when he assists someone in battle, he may either heal a wound or unflip a schitck. I took this to mean heal one of Roy's wounds or unflip one of Roy's schticks, but the rest of my party said he could heal anyone or unflip anyone's schtick with that ability since it does not specifically refer to him. Which of us is right?
    It's one of Roy's shticks or Roy's wounds.
    Owner of APE Games.

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    In a question related to Roys "Fearless Leader" shtick, does the person asking for aid still need to bribe him with Loot, or does the shtick override that requirement?

    I can see people being reluctant to call in Roy if they have to pay him loot AND he gets healed/unflips a shtick.
    Check out past werewolf games at the Unofficial GiantITP werewolf archive
    Also wasting too much time playing Evony right now.
    I don't wanna be a llama or a duck or a wabbit.
    I wanna be a POODLE!

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Belkar does a twin daggers of doom + leaping attack at Roy from Range 1.

    Roy only has his greenihlt sword with which to defend.

    Leaping says it moves you to the target room at end of turn, you may loot if there are no monsters.

    I can see this playing out one of two ways:

    a) This is a ranged attack, greenhilt doesn't work. Roy defends without a schtick and gets smashed (at worst its a draw since it's w/o schtick). Belkar however does NOT get to loot an equipped loot since he didn't attack at range 0. End of turn Belkar moves in and may grab 1 loot if any happens to be laying around in the room and there are no monsters.

    b) This is considered range 0 because belkar is moving into the room. Greenhilt sword applies for defense. If belkar wins he gets to steal one equipped loot.

    The trouble is that while a) seems right it also seems wrong. One would think Belkar's best attack should get him loot. Though I suppose he could always move into the room and attack for the same net bonus and get a loot.

    Also a) seems a bit wrong in that you'd think greenhilt would work against a flying halfling. Maybe he's just too fast heh. And it seems unfair to let Roy defend with his sword but leave Belkar with no chance at loot.

    -----

    Also, versus monsters am I correct in thinking that Belkar does not get 2 loots from a range 1 leap at a single monster that he kills? He just gets a standard end of turn 1 loot?

    Presumably he can search for stairs.

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ottawa,Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by evnafets View Post
    In a question related to Roys "Fearless Leader" shtick, does the person asking for aid still need to bribe him with Loot, or does the shtick override that requirement?

    I can see people being reluctant to call in Roy if they have to pay him loot AND he gets healed/unflips a shtick.
    He does get the loot. The downside for Roy is that he can never say no to assisting other characters, even if he would want to.
    Arcade

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ottawa,Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Khanthal View Post
    Belkar does a twin daggers of doom + leaping attack at Roy from Range 1.

    Roy only has his greenihlt sword with which to defend.

    Leaping says it moves you to the target room at end of turn, you may loot if there are no monsters.

    I can see this playing out one of two ways:

    a) This is a ranged attack, greenhilt doesn't work. Roy defends without a schtick and gets smashed (at worst its a draw since it's w/o schtick). Belkar however does NOT get to loot an equipped loot since he didn't attack at range 0. End of turn Belkar moves in and may grab 1 loot if any happens to be laying around in the room and there are no monsters.

    b) This is considered range 0 because belkar is moving into the room. Greenhilt sword applies for defense. If belkar wins he gets to steal one equipped loot.

    The trouble is that while a) seems right it also seems wrong. One would think Belkar's best attack should get him loot. Though I suppose he could always move into the room and attack for the same net bonus and get a loot.

    Also a) seems a bit wrong in that you'd think greenhilt would work against a flying halfling. Maybe he's just too fast heh. And it seems unfair to let Roy defend with his sword but leave Belkar with no chance at loot.

    -----

    Also, versus monsters am I correct in thinking that Belkar does not get 2 loots from a range 1 leap at a single monster that he kills? He just gets a standard end of turn 1 loot?

    Presumably he can search for stairs.
    We've played it that Belkar attacks Roy from range, but he gets an equipped loot if he wins. Roy has to fight schtickless. In other words, Belkar moves as soon as the battle dice have been resolved.

    In your second question versus monsters, Belkar does get 2 loot from a range leap at a single monster that he kills (which is what the text on the card refers to). He can search for stairs. He could also attack Roy, take an equipped loot if he won, and then pick up one loot on the ground since he ended his turn there.
    Arcade

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcade View Post
    We've played it that Belkar attacks Roy from range, but he gets an equipped loot if he wins. Roy has to fight schtickless. In other words, Belkar moves as soon as the battle dice have been resolved.
    That doesn't seem fair at all. Either it's a ranged attack and roy fights schtickless but belkar gets no equipped loot OR it's range 0 and Roy uses greenhilt and belkar gets loot. I don't see how you can mix-match.

    In your second question versus monsters, Belkar does get 2 loot from a range leap at a single monster that he kills (which is what the text on the card refers to). He can search for stairs. He could also attack Roy, take an equipped loot if he won, and then pick up one loot on the ground since he ended his turn there.
    I don't see how Belkar gets 2 loots. The card says he only moves there at the end of the turn so he follows the normal ranged mechanic (he doesnt get to loot 2 for killing the last monster) and just follows the end of turn loot mechanic.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    APE Games in the Playground
     
    apegamer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by evnafets View Post
    In a question related to Roys "Fearless Leader" shtick, does the person asking for aid still need to bribe him with Loot, or does the shtick override that requirement?

    I can see people being reluctant to call in Roy if they have to pay him loot AND he gets healed/unflips a shtick.

    Yes, the person asking for aid gives Roy loot as usual. Whenever this occurs, Roy can unflip a shtick or heal a wound.

    You're right, if you have the Belt of Gender Changing with both Roy's picture and Elan's picture on it, you'll probably want to give it to Elan, especially if he's got a Bard Song or two in play.
    Owner of APE Games.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    APE Games in the Playground
     
    apegamer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Khanthal View Post
    That doesn't seem fair at all. Either it's a ranged attack and roy fights schtickless but belkar gets no equipped loot OR it's range 0 and Roy uses greenhilt and belkar gets loot. I don't see how you can mix-match.
    When Belkar attacks Roy with Twin Daggers of Doom, he's attacking from Range 1, not Range 0, so Roy cannot use Greenhilt Sword. After the attack is resolved, Belkar moves into the room and can take a loot from Roy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Khanthal View Post
    I don't see how Belkar gets 2 loots. The card says he only moves there at the end of the turn so he follows the normal ranged mechanic (he doesnt get to loot 2 for killing the last monster) and just follows the end of turn loot mechanic.
    I'll have to go back to look exactly how it's worded, but I think that if at the end of your turn you're in a room which you cleared out the last monster, you can take 2 loot. Consider that to be the case unless I come back and edit this post.
    Owner of APE Games.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Several nit-picky questions that have come up. As far as I can tell, they haven't been addressed in this thread (crosses fingers).

    Durkon's Darkvision lets you see the top card on the room stack. DOes this apply to Xykon's room stack as well, once you're in Xykon's Lair?

    This is probably a long shot, but can Elan's Poorly Planned Illusion move a monster stack in 2 different directions? I.e. move Sabine, Nale, and THog right and move the 2 forgettable goblins left? Or does it move the entire monster pile together in 1 direction?

    "There is no I in team", punishes the assisting player with a wound when the battling player loses. Can it be played after a Double Cross? (which adds your assist to the monster instead of the player) It seemed like an effective counter against Double Cross. Also, could you theoretically play multiple copies? I had a game where I was double crossed by Roy, so multiple "There is no I in team"'s were played, killing Roy. I was highly amused.

    Can Belkar flip 2 Halfling Rages, if both copies are face up? Flip both copies for +6, +6? And if he does, how many wounds does he lose?

    The timing got a little weird with another Screw This combo. Haley won a battle with some assistance from Varsuvius. She then played Eternal Gratitutde to take back the loot (Ultimate Arcane Power). V then played a double cross to cause Haley to lose the combat. We said that it was too late to play the double cross. But V argued that it said to play it after the dice were rolled, so it still applied. We then wondered if V were right, would Haley get back her Eternal Gratitude, since she gets her loot back, anyway?

    If Durkon rolls a 14 at the Shrine of THor, what happens? (Through the Divine Intervention of THor which turns 1's into 13's, and the fact that Durkon gets +1 at the Shrine.) We ruled that Thor himself blessed Durkon's Faithfulness, and that everyone else had to fetch him snacks and drinks from the living room. I think this should become an official errata.

    Can I give loot to NPC's if _I_ am the only other player who drools over it?

    I won (yay!) last night by meeting Xykon, and then forgetting he could do that to his support bonuses from Goblins and undead, making it irrelavent what monsters were put below him. Is that okay? SHould this be allowed? WIthout his AWESOME BONUSES, it was kind of trivial to defeat him.

    And to let you know, here's my records with this game, so far:
    Belkar vs. Roy - winner is Belkar (Roy was strangely awful with his crippling weakness against flying and impervious, and Belkar never PvP'ed.)
    Haley vs. Varsuvius - winner is Haley (by a huge margin, Varsuvius was not good, when Haley is singlehandedly dealing with her stacks, leaving nothing for V)
    Elan vs. Durkon - winner is Durkon (Elan is not so good in a 2 player game)

    Last night, we had all the OOTS members, except for Elan playing. I won with Durkon, with Haley being the only other member with all 20 shticks. Roy did the worst.

    Also, Xykon has been the first monster we've met in 3 out of the 4 games!

    Final thought is that the time estimate on the game is a huge underestimation. That being said, I really enjoy the humor of the game and the fact that each character is so different. I've refused to look through the shticks because I want to be surprised (though by now I've seen them all). Very impressive work!

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Searched a little bit and don't think this question has been answered. On the Haley shtick where she gets the bonus from being on the same floor as Elan or Nale (don't remember name of shtick) it gets boosted if she's fighting Nale or Elan. Since she doesn't have another copy of this shtick is the only way to boost it by the screw this card "Get Angry" or is it just boosted whenever she's fighting one of them?

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The Doctor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by apegamer View Post
    When Belkar attacks Roy with Twin Daggers of Doom, he's attacking from Range 1, not Range 0, so Roy cannot use Greenhilt Sword. After the attack is resolved, Belkar moves into the room and can take a loot from Roy.
    As a follow up question: if Vaarsuvius uses a ranged attack on (say) Belkar, can he send in his familiar to get loot from Belkar?

    And question two:
    If I have two bard song shtick cards, and someone flips the bard song Shtick with a Screw this card or Roys/Haley's shtick, do they flip only one 'bard song' card (removing one support), or all cards with that name (disabling the shtick entirely?)?

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The Doctor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by bakaninja View Post
    The timing got a little weird with another Screw This combo. Haley won a battle with some assistance from Varsuvius. She then played Eternal Gratitutde to take back the loot (Ultimate Arcane Power). V then played a double cross to cause Haley to lose the combat. We said that it was too late to play the double cross. But V argued that it said to play it after the dice were rolled, so it still applied. We then wondered if V were right, would Haley get back her Eternal Gratitude, since she gets her loot back, anyway?
    Just IMO. But while not spelled out, it seems to me "Double Cross" is played before the battle is resolved, and Eternal Gratitude after (that is, the monster is dead and dropped his loot).
    So if Eternal Gratitude is played, the battle outcome has already been determined, and then the Double Cross cannot be used any more (as the monster is already defeated and Haley is already filling her bags of holding).

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Giant in the Playground Administrator
     
    The Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    As a follow up question: if Vaarsuvius uses a ranged attack on (say) Belkar, can he send in his familiar to get loot from Belkar?
    No. Blackwing's card specifies "When you defeat the last Monster in a room..." meaning that it has no effect when battling other players.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    If I have two bard song shtick cards, and someone flips the bard song Shtick with a Screw this card or Roys/Haley's shtick, do they flip only one 'bard song' card (removing one support), or all cards with that name (disabling the shtick entirely?)?
    Only one card is flipped.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinak View Post
    Searched a little bit and don't think this question has been answered. On the Haley shtick where she gets the bonus from being on the same floor as Elan or Nale (don't remember name of shtick) it gets boosted if she's fighting Nale or Elan. Since she doesn't have another copy of this shtick is the only way to boost it by the screw this card "Get Angry" or is it just boosted whenever she's fighting one of them?
    Currently the only ways to boost this card (called Secret Crush) is through using Get Angry or having Vaarsuvius target it with the Buff Spell shtick. There might be other ways in future expansions.

    It is not automatically boosted whenever she's fighting one of them; it merely gains a +4 bonus towards fighting them when it IS boosted by some other means (such as Get Angry). The intent is that when Haley "gets angry" at Elan or Nale, she's much better at fighting them--"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." If it is boosted by Get Angry on a turn when she's not battling Elan or Nale, the Boost has no real effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by bakaninja View Post
    Durkon's Darkvision lets you see the top card on the room stack. DOes this apply to Xykon's room stack as well, once you're in Xykon's Lair?
    No. The Room Deck means the deck with the words "Dungeon Rooms" on the back, not the Xykon's Lair deck. If you need an explanation, the magical darkness in Xykon's Lair can't be penetrated by mere darkvision.

    Quote Originally Posted by bakaninja View Post
    This is probably a long shot, but can Elan's Poorly Planned Illusion move a monster stack in 2 different directions? I.e. move Sabine, Nale, and THog right and move the 2 forgettable goblins left? Or does it move the entire monster pile together in 1 direction?
    Each monster is moved individually, so yes, you can do that exact thing. Further, if the room has stairs going down, you could move Nale and Sabine down, Thog left, and the two goblins right.

    Quote Originally Posted by bakaninja View Post
    "There is no I in team", punishes the assisting player with a wound when the battling player loses. Can it be played after a Double Cross? (which adds your assist to the monster instead of the player) It seemed like an effective counter against Double Cross.
    Nope. Once Double Cross is played, that player is no longer assisting the battling player, they are assisting the Monster (or other player). As a result, they are no longer effected by There is No "I" in Team, which specifically says that only those players that were assisting the losing player lose 1 Wound--and the Double Cross-using player is NOT assisting the losing player anymore.

    There is one semi-exception: If the Player A is fighting Player B, and Player C is assisting is assisting Player A. Player C then uses Double Cross so that he is now assisting Player B. Now, if Player B loses, Player C would be affected by a There is No "I" in Team card played on Player B. If Player A loses and the card is thus played on Player A, then Player C is not affected, as he ended up assisting the winner.

    Quote Originally Posted by bakaninja View Post
    Also, could you theoretically play multiple copies? I had a game where I was double crossed by Roy, so multiple "There is no I in team"'s were played, killing Roy. I was highly amused.
    Multiple There is No "I" in Team cards can be played, yes, but the exact situation you describe is not legal, since Roy was no longer assisting a player at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by bakaninja View Post
    Can Belkar flip 2 Halfling Rages, if both copies are face up? Flip both copies for +6, +6? And if he does, how many wounds does he lose?
    Yes, he can flip both. At the end of the battle, he loses 1 Wound, because the first shtick to be flipped was Boosted by the second copy (meaning that you don't lose 1 Wound for using it), but the second shtick to be flipped was not.

    Quote Originally Posted by bakaninja View Post
    The timing got a little weird with another Screw This combo. Haley won a battle with some assistance from Varsuvius. She then played Eternal Gratitutde to take back the loot (Ultimate Arcane Power). V then played a double cross to cause Haley to lose the combat. We said that it was too late to play the double cross. But V argued that it said to play it after the dice were rolled, so it still applied. We then wondered if V were right, would Haley get back her Eternal Gratitude, since she gets her loot back, anyway?
    Vaarsuvius was incorrect here. "After the dice were rolled" means immediately after the die roll, before moving on in the battle sequence. Making the die roll is Step 5; giving Loot to players that assisted you is part of the Aftermath, or Step 7. Haley cannot play Eternal Gratitude until Step 7; the card says to play it immediately AFTER any battle (the Aftermath, as its name implies, is after the battle). Vaarsuvius cannot back the sequence up to Step 5 once the battle is concluded. As a result, he cannot Double Cross Haley after she plays Eternal Gratitude.

    This is probably one for the FAQ, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by bakaninja View Post
    If Durkon rolls a 14 at the Shrine of THor, what happens? (Through the Divine Intervention of THor which turns 1's into 13's, and the fact that Durkon gets +1 at the Shrine.) We ruled that Thor himself blessed Durkon's Faithfulness, and that everyone else had to fetch him snacks and drinks from the living room. I think this should become an official errata.
    Durkon can't roll a 14; Divine Intervention of Thor specifically states that it works when rolling the die "in battle". Therefore it has no effect on the Shrine of Thor.

    Quote Originally Posted by bakaninja View Post
    Can I give loot to NPC's if _I_ am the only other player who drools over it?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by bakaninja View Post
    I won (yay!) last night by meeting Xykon, and then forgetting he could do that to his support bonuses from Goblins and undead, making it irrelavent what monsters were put below him. Is that okay? SHould this be allowed? WIthout his AWESOME BONUSES, it was kind of trivial to defeat him.
    This is, in fact, the very best way to defeat Xykon. It is absolutely legal and has been suggested by us as one of the primary solutions to the "invincible Xykon" problem. Good planning = win.
    Rich Burlew


    A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameŚnow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

    ~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Thanks for the reply! That answers everything I needed to know.

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    I've looked through the rules and haven't seen it, but I may have just missed the answer. Anyways, the question is can you range attack and then move? I know you can't move and then attack but can you do the reverse?

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Anyways, the question is can you range attack and then move?
    Answer: No.

    Reference Page 8 of the rules, "Taking Turns" section 2, paragraph 2 (or is that paragraph 3?)
    Movement always comes before battling; if you begin a battle you may no longer move this turn
    And then in the section titled "Movement Rules"
    You may choose whether or not to move your character on your turn. If you choose to move however you do so before battling monsters or other players
    Last edited by evnafets; 2006-12-18 at 06:24 PM.
    Check out past werewolf games at the Unofficial GiantITP werewolf archive
    Also wasting too much time playing Evony right now.
    I don't wanna be a llama or a duck or a wabbit.
    I wanna be a POODLE!

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Giant in the Playground Administrator
     
    The Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rules Questions

    Yup, that's right. Movement, if there is any, always comes before battling.
    Rich Burlew


    A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameŚnow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

    ~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •