New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Whats happens if?

What would happen if an incantrix persisted the ongoing effect of an enervate? RAW states that the only reason for not requiring a fort save against permanent level loss is because of how long the spell lasts, but if all of the sudden the spell does last 24 hours and should require a fort save or become permanent...right? Or is that wrong? I am away from the books at the moment and was just pondering this. I am sure this has been asked before, but I was just wondering.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Whats happens if?

You can't. Though it seems like it should work, the "Duration:Instantaneous" line means it can't be Extended or Persisted.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    You can't. Though it seems like it should work, the "Duration:Instantaneous" line means it can't be Extended or Persisted.
    It does seem like it should work, but apparently I didn't realize the spell itself was instantaneous. Shouldn't the duration be 1hr/lvl max 15. Because if it was instantaneous it seems to me the levels would be permanent. I mean, does fireballs damage come back later? they just forgot to put it in the description.
    Last edited by koldstare; 2008-11-12 at 02:07 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yes, damage taken from a fireball DOES come back naturally, albeit very slowly. So does ability damage.

They didn't "forget" to do anything. The duration of "Instantaneous" is referring to the effect of the spell (the ray of negative energy). Since the intent of the spell is clearly for the negative levels to be temporary, you shouldn't waste your time trying to make them permanent.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

A negative level is simply a status condition that does not require ongoing magic to sustain. This is, in part, why dispel magic or other similar effects cannot remove them. The effect that actually created the level has come and gone, but the condition remains.

In terms of similar condition duration vs. spell duration, look at the 0-level spell flare. The magic is in the flash of light, which lasts only an instant. But it creates a non-magical condition that lasts much longer.

Contagion and poison are further spells that leave their victim with lasting conditions even though the magic is here and gone in a brief instant.

If none of that helps, you can also look at negative levels as a type of damage. Just like damage to hit points, ability ability damage, ability drain, or nonlethal damage, negative levels are something that are merely inflicted on you, and it doesn't matter what causes it.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2008-11-12 at 12:54 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OK thanks everyone, for some reason I couldn't wrap myself around the concept, got it now.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Whats happens if?

Yer Welcome!

Glad to be of service!
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.