New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Advice for an Archivist[3.5]

I am looking for advice in useful spells and feats for an archivist. I am aiming for a buffer or controller role. Starting level is 3, Eberron. 32 point buy, chosen stats: str12 dex12 con14 int16 wis14 cha10.

Anything else i may need to know? thank you very much.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Advice for an Archivist[3.5]

Check with your DM about what you can and can't do.

A lot of the reason Archivists are considered very powerful is because they can learn spells from lists like the Paladin's or Ranger's, letting them learn a powerful spell with a low spell level. If you can do this, the advice will be quite different to if you can only take from full divine casters' lists, e.g. clerics or druids.

Similarly, your access to spells from domains will affect your options.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quick piece of advice before I go to bed: don't forget to raid the "other" divine spell lists, hard and often - Cleric Domains and Adepts, especially.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Archivist Spell List, including Secret Page which puts any spell you'd ever want onto only one page of your prayerbook.

Batman is probably the way to go on this.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Advice for an archivist? Try not to outshine the rest of the party.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Make sure to check with your DM about how lenient he is with using spells from different lists. The class is good anyway, but the more silly-good stuff depends on using other spell lists.
    As for what spells are good, that list on Gleemax is a good place to start.
    Last edited by Jimp; 2008-11-13 at 08:38 AM.
    Dub Club in the Playground
    I need a new signature.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

You could go with Int 18 if you intend on using Magic for combat. Alternatively, you could go Archivist Archer (those things are awesome). What you'd want to focus on really determines what spells you should prioritise. Also, which sources is indeed important. Obviously you'll have:
    Druid
    Cleric
    Ranger
    Paladin

However, the other options:
    Adept
    Divine Bard (Unearthed Arcana)
    Various PrCs with their own lists

could all be used and give you early access to many spells (Trapsmith has Dispel Magic on level 1, for example, and Adept has Heal on level 5) and access to many spells you wouldn't have at all (like the whole Bard spellbook).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't forget the Healer class, the Planar domains, and classes like Spirit Shaman. If you can get Leadership and an Artificer cohort, you will win, now and forever.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I always liked Holy Sword (it's personal, though, so don't bother unless you're doing the fighting). +5 weapon and more at level 7? Yes, please.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I always liked Holy Sword (it's personal, though, so don't bother unless you're doing the fighting). +5 weapon and more at level 7? Yes, please.
    Now, where is that from?
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    Now, where is that from?
    It's a core Paladin spell.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    It's a core Paladin spell.
    .......Some day I'm actualy going to have to play a Paladin, so that things like ths don't happen.

Also, 3rd level buffer/controler's are a bit difficult.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.

13. - Top - End - #13

.......Some day I'm actualy going to have to play a Paladin, so that things like ths don't happen.

Also, 3rd level buffer/controler's are a bit difficult.
    3rd level is quite optimal for a controller. You have Glitterdust, Web, Color Spray, Sleep, Entangle, Silence and company, which are some of the most effective spells of those levels, and happen to mostly be control-spells (max out Int for saves though - dropping Str and Cha for it may be prudent). Bless, Blessed Aim, Protection from Alignment and company make for decent buffing too.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-11-13 at 02:16 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    3rd level is quite optimal for a controller. You have Glitterdust, Web, Color Spray, Sleep, Entangle, Silence and company, which are some of the most effective spells of those levels, and happen to mostly be control-spells (max out Int for saves though - dropping Str and Cha for it may be prudent). Bless, Blessed Aim, Protection from Alignment and company make for decent buffing too.
    Arcane Controller, yes.
    Divine? Less so.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Arcane Controller, yes.
    Divine? Less so.
    Archivist is more of an Arcane controller than a Divine one anyways. Thanks to Domain, he has access to all the critical Arcane spells, coupled with a few good additions from Druid- and Cleric-lists. And last I checked, this thread was about Archivists.

EDIT: Web I couldn't find. Sorry. So you'll have to make do with the rest, getting Web level 3 from Anyspell.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-11-13 at 03:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Don't forget the Healer class, the Planar domains, and classes like Spirit Shaman. If you can get Leadership and an Artificer cohort, you will win, now and forever.
    why do you need an artificer cohort?

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Nohwl View Post
    Everybody needs an Artificer cohort.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nohwl View Post
    To craft scrolls of spells from random off-the-wall lists that you couldn't realistically find in-game.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

19. - Top - End - #19

i thought they changed it for artificers in the errata. maybe im wrong, i havent read it in a while.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    EDIT: Web I couldn't find. Sorry. So you'll have to make do with the rest, getting Web level 3 from Anyspell.
    Adepts get Web.

I don't believe Anyspell is viable for Archivists - it has to be cast from a domain slot, and Archivists don't have domain spell slots. Some people think Holt Warden from Complete Champion can give you domain slots... but as I read it, you could really only cast Plant Domain spells from them.

I'm very interested in this thread, though. Playing a Rogue 3 / Archivist 9 right now.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by PurinaDragonCho View Post
    Adepts get Web.
    I knew I was forgetting something. Yea, that's why it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by PurinaDragonCho View Post
    I don't believe Anyspell is viable for Archivists - it has to be cast from a domain slot, and Archivists don't have domain spell slots. Some people think Holt Warden from Complete Champion can give you domain slots... but as I read it, you could really only cast Plant Domain spells from them.
    Meh, that's just dumb. Well, you've got almost all the spells you could want anyways between Divine Bard, Adept, Domains and PrCs.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

By the way, one spell I've found really useful (at least at lower levels) is Produce Flame. Touch attacks are nice. I always overlooked that spell until I started playing my current character.

When you can get it, Holy Smite is also awesome.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Multiclassing into Archivist was the best move my rogue ever made. Dex and Int stats maxed, making touch attacks with sneakies... good times.
    Look! It's me!
    The Fey Archer (made for my fiance, many years ago.)
    Savannah gets the awesome credit for my John Locke avatar.

24. - Top - End - #24

i checked wizards, and they did errata it. a 12th level warlock could make divine scrolls. i dont know of anything that could do it earlier.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The only scroll you ever need to obtain is Secret Page, from someone with the Rune domain. As it happens, just having that domain gives them Scribe Scroll, so it wouldn't be a stretch to be able to get one. Then you can just cast that to switch a spell already in your book to any other spell you want it to be, and then you've got the spell written down to learn it. No need for someone to craft scrolls, no problems with trying to find someone who has the spell you want as a divine spell.

26. - Top - End - #26

are there any feats that an archivist should take? i know knowledge devotion and quicken spell are nice, but that leaves 5 or 6 feats open.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

I've mentioned it before in another thread, but it's worth saying again. Take Lore of the Gods from Complete Champion if you have access. If you worship a god with the Knowledge domain (just worship, you don't need the actual domain) you get a +10 to all Knowledge checks which is exactly the type of check the Archivist's class skill Dark Knowledge is. Dark Knowledge is a DC 15 check with additional benefits for how far over you pass that DC. Without even taking stat bonus into consideration, at level 3 with max ranks in the pertinent Knowledge skill you're looking at an automatic check of 17 on a roll of 1. That's the minimum benefit. Incidentally, the spell also lasts an hour per level. That's just my 2 cent though, I'm fond of Dark Knowledge for some odd reason.

Which brings me to my philosophy on Archivist feats. If you think there are going to be any giants, fey, golems, or dragons in your campaign take Archivist of Nature and Draconic Archivist, located conveniently a few pages after the Archivist entry in Heroes of Horror.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drammel View Post
    I've mentioned it before in another thread, but it's worth saying again. Take Lore of the Gods from Complete Champion if you have access. If you worship a god with the Knowledge domain (just worship, you don't need the actual domain) you get a +10 to all Knowledge checks which is exactly the type of check the Archivist's class skill Dark Knowledge is. Dark Knowledge is a DC 15 check with additional benefits for how far over you pass that DC. Without even taking stat bonus into consideration, at level 3 with max ranks in the pertinent Knowledge skill you're looking at an automatic check of 17 on a roll of 1. That's the minimum benefit. Incidentally, the spell also lasts an hour per level. That's just my 2 cent though, I'm fond of Dark Knowledge for some odd reason.
    Don't forget the Collector of Stories Skill Trick, for +5 to Knowledge checks to ID monsters.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Don't forget the Collector of Stories Skill Trick, for +5 to Knowledge checks to ID monsters.
    You sir, are my new personal hero.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Dip Sacred Exorcist and pick up some divine feats.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue