New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Random DMing idea

I've done this a couple of times, and I was wondering if anyone else has:

Using foreign languages in-game to represent other languages or incantations.

I use French for Elvish, Russian for Draconic, German for cleric spells and Italian for arcane spells.

Sample incantations:

Charm Person: Ascolta mi per piacere
    Listen to me, if you please

Suggestion: Ti piace ascoltarmi
    It pleases you to listen to me

Dominate Person: Ascolta e obbedisci a tutte le mie richiesti
    Listen to and obey all of my demands
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2008-11-14 at 07:17 AM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Random DMing idea

Yeah, tried it a few times, but it never worked out well. Shouldn't arcane language equal Draconic? That's how I always imagined it.

That was some wrong Italian btw
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I always thought of Halflings as speaking Romani. I'd say Dracoinc is Latin, Russian is Orcish, Irish is Dwarfish, German is Gnomish, French is Elven, and Arabic is Divine.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Wrong? Where was it wrong? Apart from le mie domande, which I am fixing.

I usually employ simpler Geman words for Orcish, since many of them are reasonably similar to English. I would definetely use Scottish orIrish Gaelic for Dwarven, if I knew any.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Foreign languages sound too much like the languages they are, to me. Italian sounds like Italian, Russian sounds like Russian...

That, and French is way too unlyrical and flowless to be Elvish. There's a reason Tolkien based the Elvish languages on Finnish...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I'd put Italian as closer to Elvish. It sounds much more lyrical.

There's a reason most early operas were written in Italian.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Check it out. Great minds think alike.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I don't translate the dialogue, but I do give languages to my races in terms of naming.

My Eladrin are French
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Elvish: Keska vuvulé madir?

French: Qu'est-ce que vous voulez me dire?

English: What would you like to tell me?

It depends on how you say it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

While this clashes with what you have written, here's a listing of spell names (admittedly for 2nd edition spells) in Latin.

I can't vouch for how accurate it is, but it looks good (sounds good, too).
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't use real world languages. I don't have anything against them, but I prefer to use my own conlangs. Whenever one of the PCs casts a spell, they have to say the spell's name in one of my languages. And whenever a conversation takes place in a language that not everybody knows, they either pass notes or the people who can't speak it has to listen to the "iPod of Ignorance".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, second part of the question: for spells and such, do you keep certain consistent somatic component descriptions? Do these vary between wizards and sorcerers?

Example:

Fireball
    Wizard: Snap material component into the air, spin hands in a half circle clockwise, then a half circle counter, ending in the classic Street Fighter fireball stance.

Sorcerer: Snap material component into the air, center palm around it, emit fire energy from fingertips into sphere, flick wrist to release.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't use real life languages. In fact, I often just use the English spell name. For somatic, the only one I have a set one for is scorching ray, which is basically a palm thrust.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Alright, second part of the question: for spells and such, do you keep certain consistent somatic component descriptions? Do these vary between wizards and sorcerers?

Example:

Fireball
    Wizard: Snap material component into the air, spin hands in a half circle clockwise, then a half circle counter, ending in the classic Street Fighter fireball stance.

Sorcerer: Snap material component into the air, center palm around it, emit fire energy from fingertips into sphere, flick wrist to release.
    Well, I'm in 4E now, but I've always liked distinguishing caster types. In 3E I didn't do it so much since remembering hand gestures like above is too hard and other changes would probably have bad mechanical effects.

For my 4E game, Wizards mainly cast via gesture while Warlocks cast via incantation. Priests & Paladins still pray.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I've done this a couple of times, and I was wondering if anyone else has:

Using foreign languages in-game to represent other languages or incantations.
    Often, though not for incantations. It's usually Greek, Hebrew or Latin as an ancient language. Though a more recent (and modern) campaign used binary for a couple conversations...

That's entirely up to the player(s)...and generally depends on how they view magic.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I wqs referring to your descriptions as a DM, not to asking players to do likewise.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I wqs referring to your descriptions as a DM, not to asking players to do likewise.
    But you have to keep the world consistent. If enemy wizards have to do complicated hand gestures, so do PCs.

Anyhow, my PCs have run into that many enemy casters at the moment for them to pick up the styles. It's something to think about.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    But you have to keep the world consistent. If enemy wizards have to do complicated hand gestures, so do PCs.
    I disagree, I think spellcasting should be analogous to handwriting, the guys with lengthy somatic components just aren't writing in shorthand. It gives more room for players to use their own style.
    He has eaten the pancake. He will never come back to us now.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Also makes Spellcraft checks more fun. We actually had the following dialogue:

Wizard (OOC): I roll a 16 Spellcraft.

DM (Me): The enemy mage makes a powerful clockwise rotating gesture in midair with both hands.

Wizard: Everybody get down!

Fireball ensues.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I've been using spanish for every language but common for years. It's best when everyone in the game speaks spanish, save the GM.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, it's not that terrible, but it isn't right either.

Charm Person: Ascolta a me per piacere
    It should be Ascolta mi per piacere. Second one's alright and as for the third

Dominate Person: Ascolta e servi tutte le mie domande
    domande = questions. Sounds similar to demands, but the meaning is completely off. richieste is what you were looking for here. The rest of the sentence isn't so much grammatically wrong, as it is awkward-sounding. I'd exchange it with Ascolta e obbedisci a tutte le mie richieste.
    Last edited by weenie; 2008-11-14 at 05:37 AM.
    Great avatar by Serpentine!