New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default A little Help? [3.5]

I am thinking about my next character for a 3.5 campaign and i was wondering if you lot out there would be so kind as to help me out.

I am going with a Sorcerer 1/Wizard 3/Ultimate Magus 10 and then i was thinking about maybe Arc mage?

Is this an ok build? im not looking for a unstoppable build but i would like one that manly focuses on Sorcerer. If you kind people could please advise me on what other builds i might like to consider or ways to make this one better (or tell me if it is ok) then i would really appreciate it....
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A little Help? [3.5]

If you want to take Ultimate Magus, taking Beguiller levels while having the Wizard barring Illusion and Enchantment is a much better choice. The Beguiller class is mentioned on page 148 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...asses-Base.pdf (I'd take the Beguiller level first for the skill points).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

What do you want the character to be able to do? A blaster? A trickster? A utility caster?

What books do you have access to?

Why do you want to focus more on Sorceror (i.e. is it the flavour, the ease of keeping track of the casting, something else...?)

Depending on the focus of the character and whether you have access to the PHBII I would suggest replacing Sorceror with Beguiler, as they're int-based so you'd only need to focus on boosting one stat. They cast much like Sorcerors, but from a more limited list. That's just off the top of my head with the information to hand, though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well i was thinking that if i took Ultimate Magus I would use the Sorcerer for blasting spells and the Wizard for utility spells.

As for books i have
    -Complete Mage -Tome of Magic
    -Complete Arcane -Magic of incarnum
    I also have some others but i don't think they have much that would help.

I want to focus on Sorcerer manly of flavor reasons.

I now also have access to the Beguiler class and the others in the link that Tempest Fennac posted.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.

5. - Top - End - #5

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by _Zoot_ View Post
    Is this an ok build? im not looking for a unstoppable build but i would like one that manly focuses on Sorcerer.
    It's an okay build, but it's not going to suit you if you really want to focus on your Sorcerer casting.

Even if you prioritise Sorcerer over Wizard in your Ultimate Magus levels, you're not going to get 2nd-level Sorcerer spells until level 7. So unless you're starting at a highish level, you're going to be a very very weak Sorcerer for most of the game.

If you want a build focusing on Sorcerer, you're better off dropping Ultimate Magus and just going for straight Sorcerer levels, with your prestige class(es) of choice. I recommend Fatespinner, Mage of the Arcane Order, Abjurant Champion, and Archmage.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #6

Come to think of it, an alternative might be going Warlock/Wizard/Eldritch Theurge, which would let you use the Warlock side for blasting without having to keep two casting stats up. Warlock could easily be treated as a Sorcerer for fluff purposes.
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2008-11-14 at 10:04 AM.