New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Your characters crowing moment of awesome

Hi playgrounders,

This very evening I witnessed our party rogue, in game and character, sing the hedgehog song.... while at a prince's noble dinner! Better still the stunned silence turned into side splitting laughter from the host as he demanded his fool learn the song!

So what are your experiences with your own or others Crowing moment of awesome!

Regards
    Check out the battle of the beacon, it was a massive 40k apocalypse game involving my space marine chapter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Thumbs up Re: Your characters crowing moment of awesome

One of my favorite moments/most annoying moments was when the DM rolled the Terrasque.....3 times in a gaming session. The plan? Using the barbarian as a pack mule.
    Gibbo

Read about the Lady of the Night and her daring and worldly crew searching for Ilos and the cultists trying to bring him back. The cultist's now defeated the heros retire until the next catastrophe.

Gremshak - Bounty hunter

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Your characters crowing moment of awesome

I dove into a mob of enemies with a barrel of some kind of alcohol-based substance strapped to my back and cast Fireball, centered on myself. I think the DM estimated something on the order of 300d6 for the enemies adjacent to me. Most epic death ever.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Oh, that'll have to be the time my sorc/artificer managed to take down a golem. Thank you, grease, fog, and black tentacles. You might be immune to magic, but you arn't immune to falling down and crushed by giant tentacles.

"Okay, now roll a grapple check to see if you break the pin. Now roll to see if you escape the grapple. Your golem blows his move action standing up. Now roll to see if the tentacles grapple you. Now roll to see if you fall over because you're standing in grease. Okay, you won all those checks. You get to move five feet."
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

when the groups hulking hurler threw my dwarf at a pixie in the air to grapple with it, then proceeded to throw his magic log at us (i had over 100 hp, i was ok)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

My crowning moment of awesomeness? That'd have to be when I secrety and ironically betrayed my party in a previous campaign.

I was on first watch with my Orc Bear Warrior/Warshaper just inside a cave at night when a Dragon appears in close distance. I do the following:

1) Yell in an Orcish scream, "FOR GRUUMSH!!!"

2) I charge at it with my +5 Vorpal Falchion (Party dumped all their money on getting me a weapon after I JUST joined them since I had to reroll due to my last character becoming evil rofl...)!

3) I roll a nat 20 and cut its head off! ROFL

4) I find its lair nearby and go back to our cave to get portable hole

5) I fill bag of holding with Dragon's loot and head to town to sell

I made off with over 250,000 gold lol. The DM figured I'd wake the rest of the party but I is Orc! Me on first watch! I guard punies in cave! Me charge! Me kill! Me deserve loot! I had a 6 wisdom rofl.

Even funnier? Every member of the party failed there listen saves to wake up when I yelled! The person from whome I took the portable hole failed to wake up!

I then came back the next morning covered in awesome stuff! They were like, "WTF?" I told them, "Me go killing while you sleep! Me get in practice!" None of it a lie, I didn't have to make a bluff check.

The funniest thing is they thought I'd be there BFF I guess since they thought I owed them for getting me such a great weapon...rofl I'm an orc! You give me a weapon...then I beat you with it!

Needless to say, they didn't let me take watch anymore after that...at least not alone!

7. - Top - End - #7

Goblin

The most awesome moment I've had (barring those that were moments for the whole party) was actually in my first combat ever.

It was an ongoing campaign, so I started at level 7. We got attacked by a frost worm - that's CR 12.

It opened with its Trill, stunning half the party. My character, who by the way was a human barbarian with 10 Wis, passed the Will save with not a point to spare.

After firing an arrow to no effect, I raged and charged the thing, taking an AoO. The worm used its frost breath on some of my allies. I full-attacked. The worm bit me. I full-attacked again. The worm continued to bite me. I full-attacked again. I cleaved the worm's skull in half. The worm exploded.

So, after nearly being eaten by the frost worm, and then taking a pretty massive explosion from point blank range, I stagger away on 2HP... while in rage. Without rage, I'd be at -12.

I had to wander around attacking shards of ice to maintain my rage until the cleric realised I was supposed to be dead.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, so this one takes a little explanation. The game in question was a completely homebrewed post-apocalyptic setting, but that isn't so important. The philosophy behind the game is. It was designed so that they players could come up with utterly ridiculous character concepts and play them without breaking the system.

Naturally, I made Alphonso Juliano Esteban Arana, the Manrantula. Half-man. Half-tarantula. He had a day job as a Mexican masked wrestler, and he believed very religiously in strength, honor, and quadruple uppercuts to the head.

The following exchange occurred while our party was fighting a pack of moa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moa). The game was played over AIM chat...

DM: Alfonso. You're up.
    Me: (now...it is on)
    Me: *Alphonso stares deep, beady hatred into the moa birds eyes*
    Me: "Now, we shall settle a little matter of the biology, my friend."
    Me: "And all those years in which your ancestors preyed upon mine."
    Me: "Today...today marks a turning point..."
    Me: "And the birth of a new art..."
    Me: "Moa rodeo."
    Me: *Alphonso charges the moa, grabs it by its flexible, yet supple neck and attempts to swing up onto its back*
    Me: *chittering madly the entire time*
    DM: you succeed in becoming the first ever manrantula luchador to ride a moa... congrats

All of this happened while Alphonso's theme song, "Eye of the Tiger", was playing.
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

At level one, my party found an orc dungeon in a set of caves. There was this archer type trap -can't remember the name, but it was CR 5- and our ranger asked the DM if he could shoot to disable it.

DM: "Okay, but you'll need a twenty."

He rolled a twenty. We took the trap away, sold it for 2500 gp at level 1 in a 4 character party.

Then we went back to the orcs. and spent two days examining the mountain for other exits. We found none.

Then we bough a hell of a lot of oil, poured it into the orc cave, set it on fire, and started a huge bonfire directly outside the exit.

Most of the orcs died of carbon dioxide poisoning. Some more died from us massacring them as they fled the cave. We won the adventure, and got a hell of a lot of gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    xanaphia has gained: A Metal Head's approval!
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

biggrin Re: Your characters crowing moment of awesome

Some sort of necromancer has my character and his ex-wife imprisoned in a back room. The BBEG cuts her throat in front of him. My character, a middle-aged repairman, goes into a fury, gets an exceptional success at breaking out of his restraints and rips the pipe he's tied to right out of the wall, then tackles the necromancer, pins him to the ground and tries to stab him with his own knife. With the necro driving his fingers into my character's chest just like in Temple of Doom, over several turns I manage to drive his own knife into his heart.

I had one health level left untouched.

The wife lived, since I got the gash in her neck taped over in time for SWAT medics to show up.

....It was especially memorable due to the epic fail moment by the rest of the party at the same time: In the next room, the homeless crook and the spec ops gunman were getting their asses handed to them by the necro's most trusted minion... a fashion designer.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

11. - Top - End - #11

SolithKnightGuy

I was playing a psion in a campaign where magic and psionics were seperate systems and psionics were extremely rare. She (my character) was weaker than the rest of the party (deliberately, she was a lower level and selected mostly non-combat spells). The most she had contributed to a fight was a Crystal Shard or two.

Then, when the party was in a hurry, we encountered another adventuring group who we defeated earlier in a long, dragged out fight. They said they had trained and were going to beat us now.

My character steps up, and they laugh. "What are you gonna do? Last time, you stood there in the back crying for your mommy."
    I cast levitate, and roll a natural 20 on the following bluff check:
    "Fools! I let you go your way last time, but I have had enough! You do not mess with the entities from beyond this realm! Are you sure you want to take on a Godess just because of some pity spite?"

The adventuring party's wizard uses spellcraft.
    Fighter: "She's flying. Is that magic?"
    Wizard: "No."
    Rogue: "Yeah, we're outta here."

After that, most of my own teammates started doubting whether I was just some psion girl, or really an avatar or deity of some sort...
    "One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Your characters crowning moment of awesome

My (unoptimised) Cleric of Boccob. Clr9/Brb1/Wiz1 being repeatedly sneak attacked/fighting the party rogue and simultaneously, singlehandedly assaulting a CR 14 fortress.
    All without any healing spells due to him choosing to have spontaneous infliction spells. He burnt every spell he had, but he lived.
    And THAT'S why he's called Jorg the Indestructable.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

My favorite system by far, is Immortal. When I got to college, my new friends there and I started playing, and kept going in the same game world for about seven or eight years. The idea behind it is that you were playing yourself, except awakened to the fact that you were basically a weak godling, who had hidden itself for the last several hundred years by moving its soul from human to human. Finally you awaken and attempt to reclaim your true potential. My character was from a group of fire-based immortals, and generally acted like a knight errant. Eventually, my renown as a meddlesome do-gooder began to climb, and more and more powerful enemies began to plot against me and my gang.
    One of the best battles took place after we instituted what we called "anime battle aura chart" (a scale of increasing bonuses that accumulated depending on how much your enemy had humiliated you, made your life suck, hurt the people you love, or threatened life, the universe and everything). You could use the anime chart bonus just once per enemy, and we had used it a couple times prior for a nice infusion of flavor.

That day we were helping (our enemy) the Archangel Gabriel (Christopher Walken) fight against an elder dragon from one of the far-flung dimensions that had actually been responsible for the kidnapping of and experimentation on my character's then-girlfriend. One by one, the dragon knocked out my guy's friends, and was beating pretty bad on ol' Chris Walken. My guy had taken a terrific hit, but eventually managed to get up and shake off some of the severity of the wound (just one health box left). Managing a simple flight spell, my dude rocketed skyward, until I was about a mile up. I then piked, and plunged down toward the battle, my soul-infused greatsword glowing blue with the heat of my own rage.

Breaking out the anime chart, I recounted the numerous way the dragon had wronged me, everyone I cared about, and the universe at large. My normal bonus to hit was a (pretty darn good) +12. As badly hurt as my character was, he was down to a +2. With the full wrath of my anime chart bonuses, that skyrocketed to a +30! To top that, I rolled a natural 9 (highest possible roll in that game) to strike, and rolled well to calculate trajectory and also shrug off the pain of a couple near-lethal wounds.

Radiating righteous fury like a tiny blue sun, I gave a fearsome battle howl as I struck out with my last remaining might. Like the almighty hammer of dawn blasting into an ice sculpture made of shadows, my enchanted sword, Dönnersleid, clove into the top of the dragon's skull hard enough to create a shockwave that flattened the forest for a mile around us! The tainted dragon split in two, and then was consumed by blue fire... but not before completely soiling Gabriel's battle clothes with nasty dragony ichor.

Gabriel, also in no shape to continue to fight, gave me an amazed and considering look before dimension shifting away. I ran to my friends and got the healer back on his feet again, got the rest of the party healed again, and then began happily planning a trip to raid the blazes out of the dragon's lair. That adventure was considerably easier.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OverdrivePrime View Post

That day we were helping (our enemy) the Archangel Gabriel (Christopher Walken)
    This. This is what has made my day. This statement, this happenstance makes me want to be witness to this game. I will forever regret not being able to witness this firsthand.

That is all.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

Proud owner of a Ceikatar! (Jealous much?)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

tongue Re: Your characters crowing moment of awesome

Escaping from what was otherwise a Total Party Kill by riding on the back of a flying gnome down the mountainside while wielding a flaming sword.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

My moment?

Riding a purple worm (Dune-style) through a mountain into a cavern of MORE purple worms. Eventually, the whole party had purple worms of their own, which we then lead to war. We became called the Company of the Worm, and it was AWESOME.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

17. - Top - End - #17

That sounds absolutely fan-freaking-tastic....I have always wanted to play a Dune style game with Worms....
    Kirby-on-the-Dragoon-avatar by Oregano, thanks bro!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude
    Sheriff of Moddingham: - .... .-. . .- -.. / .-.. --- -.-. -.- . -..
    That's brutal. No mercy from the gunslinger ITP.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

We weren't supposed to capture the purple worm, it was just something for us to kill... but I was a wizard with more strength than I knew what to do with, and some defensive buffs, so I took my chances.

We later tamed the worms with magic, and taught them riding tricks! *sniff* I miss that character...

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Spamalot in the Playground

Recently my human cleric was able to stare down a group of 20 lizardfolk and use Diplomacy to convince them the let the party pass without a fight. I didn't use any magic* nor did I roll a skill check for it-- I managed to propose a convincing argument that the GM couldn't refute.

*Not that I could use magic, I was out of spells and despite being 5th level, I have no magic items whatsoever.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2008-11-18 at 10:14 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    My moment?

Riding a purple worm (Dune-style) through a mountain into a cavern of MORE purple worms. Eventually, the whole party had purple worms of their own, which we then lead to war. We became called the Company of the Worm, and it was AWESOME.
    Reminds me of a one-shot I played in a while back. We stayed overnight in a purple worm's cave. We failed the checks to realise this was the case. The purple worm came back home in the morning. We'd levelled up overnight. The sorceror had taken charm monster. The purple worm failed its will save.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed Heliomance, that's pretty excellent. We actually used a dominate monster spell the DM let me create at lower levels, provided it only functioned on purple worms, so we managed to ensnare them for days at a time. (Nice DM was being nice, since we were only like level 12!)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Me, a 5th level NE spellcaster/IC bard, and my (admittedly fairly large) party were fighting a CR 10 white dragon, in a core-only game. It bluffed us that it was asleep and surprised us by blasting the rogue hard with it's ice breath. Then some fiddling with our many melee fighters ensued. Then my bards turn came, and since all my characters know Draconic, I shouted that I was going to summon a greater fire elemental. It became nervous, and thanks to my good bluff roll it managed to fail its will save to notice the illusion I cast was just that, an illusion. Then, when it's turn came, it blasted it with another of its ice breaths. It must have felt pretty stupid when it saw the illusion just disappear in a puff of smoke and light. It had just wasted a Full Action and special attack blasting a first level spell. Then I cast rage, whilst the partys barbarians and fighters hacked it to bits.
    The partys sorcerer was mainly focused on blasting, and we had no cleric, so it was my bard who did battlefield control and healing.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

My level 7 rogue falls through a trapdoor into a CR7 black dragons lair. While the rest of the party frantically tries to find a way to get me out, my rogue holds the dragon off with rapier and searing wand (not to mention a whole lot of screaming and barely passed reflex saves).

Just as the party open the grating in the roof, my rogue uses improved feint: "Your sister sends her regards*." Dragon fails save. My Rogue gets a critical hit with his wand, and rolls '6' on 12 out of the 15d6 he rolled for damage.

The dragon ended up on -46 hp, and fell to the ground in a smoking pile as the party looked on, stunned.

My rogue: "You realise as you guys didn't help me at all with this, I get all the loot, right?"

Best haul ever.

*We'd killed her previously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ceaon View Post
    I was playing a psion in a campaign where magic and psionics were seperate systems and psionics were extremely rare. She (my character) was weaker than the rest of the party (deliberately, she was a lower level and selected mostly non-combat spells). The most she had contributed to a fight was a Crystal Shard or two.

Then, when the party was in a hurry, we encountered another adventuring group who we defeated earlier in a long, dragged out fight. They said they had trained and were going to beat us now.

My character steps up, and they laugh. "What are you gonna do? Last time, you stood there in the back crying for your mommy."
    I cast levitate, and roll a natural 20 on the following bluff check:
    "Fools! I let you go your way last time, but I have had enough! You do not mess with the entities from beyond this realm! Are you sure you want to take on a Godess just because of some pity spite?"

The adventuring party's wizard uses spellcraft.
    Fighter: "She's flying. Is that magic?"
    Wizard: "No."
    Rogue: "Yeah, we're outta here."

After that, most of my own teammates started doubting whether I was just some psion girl, or really an avatar or deity of some sort...
    Winnar!

My character in the last campaign once had his army of hobgoblins attack a city while he and the rest of the party broke in the Grand temple of Pelor, Killed some solars while our Death Knight used a rune given to him by his god to desecrate the temple into a Temple of Nerull. We then killed the High priest of said temple, and destroyed the statue of Pelor (Turned out to be a stone collossus). I then had my forces heard the people into the town square where I made a speech. The people then declared the city a democracy and elected me Leader- For Life. Epic Campaigns are fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

After a long and not very succesful battle against a sheer endless number of militia warriors, our group was heavily pressed, Every character was injured - we played Gurps, so an injury was actually significant - and we were tired, had almost ammunition left and only one chance to come out of this alive - when our sorceress would be able to summon an earth elemental to open a tunnel for us. Unfortunately, the summoning required a ritual which would at least take 10 to 15 minutes. My character, one of the party's fighters, had a broken arm, the other one was barely conscious and was slowly bleeding to death. The fourth memberoof the group was a thief and archer who was mostly worthless in melee and could only hobble. So, my character took his bastard sword with one hand (he was used to fight with two hands, so that was going to make a last stand to buy the others the time to flee. Alone, with one broken arm, a badly fitting weapon and no fatigue to burn left, I waited for the attack and fought against seven adequate, but not great warriors. Always two enemies came at my characterat a time (because I wouldn't be able to swing my sword in a narrower passage) and was eager to kill my character. No attacker survived.
    The image of this fight was extremely gritty and heroic or heroic² becausee there is no heroism without blood, sweat and crippling injuries): A hard laughing, bleeding maniac in a nearly ruined chain hauberk, with a limb arm on his right side and a badly balanced sword in the left hand killed singlehandedly crippled and killed six militia warriors, everyone better armed, better equipped and neither injured nor tired within a singel minute. A single good hit would have knocked me unconscious or worse, but still, I beat them and let the last one run.

The same character also killed a wyvern with a lucky shot of his crossbow, killed an enemy in single combat with his teeth and strangled the sorcerer who had incinerated him with a spell while he was still burning. Ansds I am only playing him for three months or so...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

My Paladin once took down about five incarnations of the same lich in one fight (he was cheating and using time travel). With a baseball bat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

My cleric beat the gruusalugg through melee and only one buff spell: mgc wpn greater..
    Last edited by kladams707; 2008-11-18 at 02:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

My Barbarian had become a sore point for the DM. I was dealing more damage than the Evoker in the party and had escaped a series of dungeons designed for high level Rouges.

He sent a Marut to kill my level 13 character. I won initiative. Killed it in one round. Wore it's head as a helmet for the rest of the campaign.
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

29. - Top - End - #29

BardGuy

Near the start of a campaign we had as a group been captured and a high-ranking captor was monologing to my character about why he should switch sides. On a balcony, with his back turned to me. While I was unrestrained.

I don't think that the DM had planned for us to stage a prison break.
    I also expected someone outside the building to notice the falling man... I think that's the only time I've ever used a bullrush.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I was playing the 2E module "Cleric's Challenge." I had a level 2 halfling cleric of Pelor. So using my innate halfling stealth, I had sneaked into the cemetery and found a wight who was systematically draining helpless villagers, one-by-one, that his zombie servants had captured.

So here I am, totally outclassed. I'm only level 2 and have no magical weapons; just a couple of vials of holy water. What do I do, what do I do?

Taking a chance, I get as close as I can, then shout out and chuck a vial of holy water at the wight. He turns to the sound of my voice and I nail him right in the face (natural 20). Instant kill.

I bragged about that one for days.