New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default How do you/ your DM deal with wizard spells known?

If you are starting a high level Wizard in a campaign or one shot, how do you/your DM calculate the cost of the spells that the Wizard knows?

The DMG suggests a charge of 50 g per spell level per spell for what a wizard would charge to copy a spell out of his book. The listed price on selling found spellbooks is identical.

My DM is currently suggesting that I pay the price of the scrolls of the spells I want to learn and then copy them to my book from that. This is of course not including the 2 spells per wizard level that I get for free leveling up.

As a 15th level Wizard pricing out items for the 200 k g I start with, the scroll approach to learning spells is getting a bit oppressive. I'm pairing down my spell choice as best as I can, but it would be very easy for me to buy 1/2 my standard wealth on scrolls purely for the purpose of creating a spellbook.

Anyone else had this issue? Is there another convention I can suggest to him? A raw description of creating a high level caster? Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

-B
    Last edited by Breaw; 2008-11-21 at 01:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: How do you/ your DM deal with wizard spells known?

PHB p.179 has your answers.

If it's too much of a problem, your DM may be convinced to let you copy spells from other wizards' spellbooks in exchange for a service or as a reward.
    Last edited by Lert, A.; 2008-11-21 at 01:42 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

As a dm? depends on the game. I have one game that you don't even automatically get your 2 new spells. Not that it stops the wizard from finding a way to get his spells.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

At that level, you should definitely have a Boccob's Blessed Book - 15K for 1000 pages of free spells. Worth every penny in time and hassle, even if you don't manage to fill it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    At that level, you should definitely have a Boccob's Blessed Book - 15K for 1000 pages of free spells. Worth every penny in time and hassle, even if you don't manage to fill it.
    Not the issue - it's the cost of acquiring the spell, rather than scribing it that is the issue here.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Paramour Pink View Post
    Maybe he's doing it to try and curb the power of wizards. I don't know for sure, what with having little experience with the game, but that seems like a good a guess as any.
    Well... this character is for the Return to the Tomb of Horrors... So there isn't a spell in the book that is going to make me 'overpowered' in that setting. :P

-B

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Breaw View Post
    Well... this character is for the Return to the Tomb of Horrors... So there isn't a spell in the book that is going to make me 'overpowered' in that setting. :P

-B
    Disintegrate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Grab the Collegiate Wizard feat from CArc. It doubles your number of spells known. I generally find the 50GP per spell level is fairest, but if he only allows scrolls, you're likely to really want more known than you can afford.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you the only full list caster? Then, really, you can become sufficiently powerful compared to the rest of the party using that budget.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I think it is not very good idea to maje the access to spells too easy - getting new and impressive spells should be a form of accomplisment. Making the spells - or any new and cool items for a character something they had to earn will greatly improve the gratefulness of the players and make the achieved new toys more valuable - presents and easy giveaways rarely have the impact and importance of those items which had to earned through hard work and high danger. Too easy accessto spells and magical items is a great way to cheapen those and make them less significant.

Therefore, I mostly give access to new spells when I feel that the wizard palyer has earned it. New cool stuff should always be felt as a reward, not as a matter of course.
    Last edited by Satyr; 2008-11-21 at 05:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Breaw View Post
    The DMG suggests a charge of 50 g per spell level per spell for what a wizard would charge to copy a spell out of his book.
    That's what I'd do. Plus two spells per level for free. However, I would also veto certain known gamebreaker spells.

But scroll costs are not unreasonable. From an IC point of view, you're a wizard - whyever would you not spend a major part of your "starting cash" on spells? From a game balance point of view, you're talking about the most powerful class feature of the most powerful class; making it more expensive is hardly a bad thing.

{table]Level|DMG|scroll|diff
    1|50|25|x0.5
    2|100|150|x1.5
    3|150|375|x2.5
    4|200|700|x3.5
    5|250|1125|x4.5
    [/table]
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

At lower levels, I let players get spells for the 50 gp/level copying fee (assuming they're in a location with plenty of wizards).

At higher levels, I usually say that the more powerful spells aren't freely available in the shops, so you have to make skill checks or do some roleplaying to buy them. 7th-, 8th-, and 9th-level spells are powerful enough that you shouldn't be able to just buy them off the shelf - that's like ordering a nuclear weapon at a convenience store. :P

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I've always paid for scrolls then scribing. It adds up, but it's worth it.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't forget you add two spells to your book each level. I've sen a lot of people forget about that and end up with Hobo Jackson the Wizard.