Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: Enervation

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Enervation

ok, so i'm in a 3.5 campaign.

5 levels sorcerer, 3 levels blood magus.

i just got the spell Enervation.

and i need to know, can i use it on something more than once and give it more negative levels?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Enervation

I think you can (I know Energy Drain works like that, and attackes which bestow Negative levels can drain people to 0 levels, so Enervation should be the same).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, negative levels stack with each other, regardless of source. Look at the end of the second paragraph in Enervation's description: "Negative levels stack." It doesn't give any exceptions to this, so every time you cast it on something it bestows that many additional negative levels.

4. - Top - End - #4

sweetness.

thanks guys.

and now my next question:

i was reading the description on negative levels, and it confused me a bit.

"An affected opponent takes a 1 penalty on all skill checks and ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws, and loses 5 hit points and one effective level or Hit Die (whenever level is used in a die roll or calculation) for each negative level. A spellcaster loses one spell slot of the highest level of spells she can cast and (if applicable) one prepared spell of that level. If she has more than one spell at her highest level, she chooses which she loses."

so does that mean if i used it on an 8th level character and roll a 4, he becomes a 4th level character with a minus 4 on all skill checks, ability check, attack rolls, saving throws, and minus 20 health?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celeres View Post
    sweetness."An affected opponent takes a 1 penalty on all skill checks and ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws, and loses 5 hit points and one effective level or Hit Die (whenever level is used in a die roll or calculation) for each negative level. A spellcaster loses one spell slot of the highest level of spells she can cast and (if applicable) one prepared spell of that level. If she has more than one spell at her highest level, she chooses which she loses."

so does that mean if i used it on an 8th level character and roll a 4, he becomes a 4th level character with a minus 4 on all skill checks, ability check, attack rolls, saving throws, and minus 20 health?
    No, it's still an 8th level character, it only takes the -4. Negative levels are called that because if the target fails a save 24 hours later, the penalty vanishes and the target loses a real level(but Enervation doesn't do that due to the levels vanishing so quickly).
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #6

hmmm... that's not nearly as good as i thought it was.

thanks for clearing that up.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    No, it's still an 8th level character, it only takes the -4. Negative levels are called that because if the target fails a save 24 hours later, the penalty vanishes and the target loses a real level(but Enervation doesn't do that due to the levels vanishing so quickly).
    He is still 8th level but he is effectively level 4 for all effects that depend on level or hit dice (like holy word)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

enervation is an awesome spell.
    a level 8 character with -4 to all attack rolls, saves and skill checks is actually worse off generally for saves at least than a 4th level character.
    for a not full bab class they are worse at attacks too.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    if this thread is a 4e thread then play 3.5
    if this thread is a 3.5 thread then play 4e

devils advocacy by signature

9. - Top - End - #9

didn't think about it that way.

sweet, now i don't need to find a spell to replace it :D

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Celeres View Post
    didn't think about it that way.

sweet, now i don't need to find a spell to replace it :D
    and remember, if its negative levels are greater than OR equal to it's hit dice, it's dead.

very dead.

it doesn't matter whether or not they become permanent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

mmhm. That's why twin optic repeating maximized empowered ennervations are soooo deadly. That sort of thing is why no one allows incantrix.

(2x2x2x6=48 negative levels if they all land. Most of them will, being touch attacks.)
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2008-11-21 at 09:41 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

RAW answer would be wight.
    and yes this would make you unpopular, even with no paladin most lawful types would be unhappy with the idea of loosing uncontrolled undead upon the world and having to stay there until it rises just to put it down would get tiresome.
    or free xp depending on how your dm views it.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    if this thread is a 4e thread then play 3.5
    if this thread is a 3.5 thread then play 4e

devils advocacy by signature

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by its_all_ogre View Post
    RAW answer would be wight.
    and yes this would make you unpopular, even with no paladin most lawful types would be unhappy with the idea of loosing uncontrolled undead upon the world and having to stay there until it rises just to put it down would get tiresome.
    or free xp depending on how your dm views it.
    That's why you burn the body afterwards.

Wights are coporeal undead.

No body, no wight.
    Last edited by Blackfang108; 2008-11-21 at 10:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

14. - Top - End - #14
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Shalist View Post
    And don't forget that it does some damage (5hp/lvl), and also trims down their spell list pretty quick, to say nothing of their 'effective level' (ie, spell duration and damage).
    And caster level checks. Any help there is great for spell resistance and dispels.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    That's why you burn the body afterwards.

Wights are coporeal undead.

No body, no wight.
    Or you play a Dread Necromancer. Kill it, drag the body along, and when it rises, make it your slave. And have it make more Wights. Because you can.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.