New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Eldricht Knight question

Does it seem balanced to you guys to have the option of replacing the bonus feat for a 1st level Eldricht Knight with spell progression?

Normally their first level class feature is a bonus feat from the fighter bonus feat list, and every level thereafter they have spell progression from their arcane caster class. I want to get spell progression instead and my DM OKed it, but I wanted to know if you guys think it is balanced.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Eldricht Knight question

Quote Originally Posted by powerdemon View Post
    Does it seem balanced to you guys to have the option of replacing the bonus feat for a 1st level Eldricht Knight with spell progression?

Normally their first level class feature is a bonus feat from the fighter bonus feat list, and every level thereafter they have spell progression from their arcane caster class. I want to get spell progression instead and my DM OKed it, but I wanted to know if you guys think it is balanced.
    Well, other than feat requirements, the loss of a single caster level is the only real downside to Eldritch Knight. I wouldn't allow it, were I DM, but I wouldn't call it imbalanced. It's just a tiny bit too good for what you give up.

3. - Top - End - #3

Thank you, all input is appreciated.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Increased hit dice, full BAB, AND a good Fort save at the cost of a one level fighter/barbarian/other martial class dip? I would say thats a good chunk too good. I wouldn't allow it in my game.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Thanks to abjurant champion, no.

6. - Top - End - #6

Methinks I'll just forget about taking levels in this class. It does seem to overpowered now that I look at it again. I am playing with two other players that have never played before and I don't want to overshadow them.

Thanks for the input everyone.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxation View Post
    Well, other than feat requirements, the loss of a single caster level is the only real downside to Eldritch Knight. I wouldn't allow it, were I DM, but I wouldn't call it imbalanced. It's just a tiny bit too good for what you give up.
    Nah, you have to consider prerequisites and opportunity costs when evaluating a PrC. Normally, you're already behind one level in your casting class, because you had to blow a level on a class that grants proficiency with all martial weapons. And while you're leveling in EK, you're not leveling in some other prestige class. There are far more powerful options out there. Of course, it's down to the DM which of them are allowed...

Really, it depends on the power level of the campaign and what else is allowed. Single-classed core-only Wizard is itself powerful enough to warrant banning or nerfing.

If you want to avoid stepping on anyone's toes, it's probably best to go straight Wiz or Sorc and let others handle the "hitting things until they die" end of things. And remember the golden rule of wizardry: Your job is to do the things that the party needs to have done, but that no one else can do. The more directly you concentrate on this job, the less likely you are to render anyone else redundant or let your team down.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

3 years ago I would have deemed it too powerful, but with duskblade and abjurant champ out there your EK mod seems fine.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Really, I wouldn't do it just because that would make EK even more boring than it is right now (it has effectively no class features). Adding that last level of casting, and giving EK some class features related to magical swordsmanship would be interesting though.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

You want to hear what I never understood about the Eldritch Knight?

Why the heck it doesn't give you the ability to cast in SOME armor? All other arcane caster/warrior prestige classes do it somehow (Spellsword, Bladesinger, ok, Abjurant Champion doesn't, but it improves your Mage Armor and Shield spells). So why not it?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post

Why the heck it doesn't give you the ability to cast in SOME armor? All other arcane caster/warrior prestige classes do it somehow (Spellsword, Bladesinger, ok, Abjurant Champion doesn't, but it improves your Mage Armor and Shield spells). So why not it?
    It's a core PrC. Initially, WotC had this bizarre idea that it was terrible for arcane casters to be able to cast while wearing armor (something that didn't seem to apply to divine casters), and so they never made a way for that ability to work until they started testing it later.

12. - Top - End - #12

I like the idea of using for a Gish that uses only spells that lack Somatic components. Displacement, for example. True Strike, Blur, Blindness/Deafness, Suggestion, Teleport... There's quite a few, even just in Core that are useful to a battlemage. Prebuff for Shield, Stoneskin, and the like, then rush into battle in Mithril Full Plate with a Greataxe.

Oh, no, having trouble sneaking? Deafen that sleeping guard so he won't hear the clanging of your armor.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    It's a core PrC. Initially, WotC had this bizarre idea that it was terrible for arcane casters to be able to cast while wearing armor (something that didn't seem to apply to divine casters), and so they never made a way for that ability to work until they started testing it later.
    3.5 Core bards can cast in light armor Vael.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Because of Polymorph.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

3.5 Core bards can cast in light armor Vael.
    Eh, they're slightly different. They break a lot of the original rules for arcane casters. They can cast healing spells, they can wear armor, they have the ability to actually fight in melee...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosDefender24 View Post
    Because of Polymorph.
    The druid proves Wizards actually didn't care a lot for polymorph.

And yea, I guess bards break the general, original, arcane caster mold. But then, the arcane casters that followed did it as well. One way or another.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Because the game was designed with the wizard acting as an Evoker. Picking mostly Direct Damage spells, with Utility to Flavor. With that in mind. Wizards become squishy. Putting decent armor on them makes them less squishy, which under the above design philosophy is a bad thing.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

And yea, I guess bards break the general, original, arcane caster mold. But then, the arcane casters that followed did it as well. One way or another.
    They started it in Complete Warrior. Notice how they did it there? Hexblade and Spellsword, both of which are considered fairly poor. Later on, their work with it got better (Duskblade, Beguiler, etc).
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-11-23 at 11:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    They started it in Complete Arcane. Notice how they did it there? Hexblade and Spellsword, both of which are considered fairly poor. Later on, their work with it got better (Duskblade, Beguiler, etc).
    It was because they wanted the archtypical wizard in robes shooting lightning and fire everywhere. If things didnt' fit into that archtype, no matter how powerful they were (see cleric), WoTC didn't care what they wore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually they started it in the 3.0 Tome & Blood book. There's a class called Spellsword, that gives you half spellcasting progression (and thus, is considered "bad" in these boards), but, aside from better BAB and HD, it gave you some interesting class abilities, like ignore some spell failure from wearing armor, and the ability to store touch spells in your chosen weapon, to unleash them during attacks. Much more flavourful and interesting than EK.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    Actually they started it in the 3.0 Tome & Blood book. There's a class called Spellsword, that gives you half spellcasting progression (and thus, is considered "bad" in these boards), but, aside from better BAB and HD, it gave you some interesting class abilities, like ignore some spell failure from wearing armor, and the ability to store touch spells in your chosen weapon, to unleash them during attacks. Much more flavourful and interesting than EK.
    >.>
    Yes, Spellsword. The one they re-tailored and put into Complete Warrior (I said complete arcane earlier, not sure why. )
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-11-23 at 11:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Fixed that for you.

Abjurant champion only improves abjuration based armour and shield spells which means it only improves shield (mage armour is a conjouration spell). (errata confirms this).

Abjurant champion levels would improve ectoplasmic armour (armour vs incorporeal touch attacks)
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area