Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Town Plot] Lethe's Mouth

Maybe we have gone about this the wrong way. Captain-Commander Yamamoto, would you all please leave? I will try to talk to him

All of the Captains walk out and leave, except for Daisuke. He sits on the floor/equivalent, cross-legged, and simply waits.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #392
    Barbarian in the Playground

A little girl appears in front of him, with long red hair and the innocent features of what Sam would have looked like ages ago.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Daisuke waits for the girl to speak first, assuming that either Histor has taken the form of a younger version of Sam, or has simply moulded this image in order to speak to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

4. - Top - End - #394

When the girl speaks it is Histor's voice, but sounding incredibly childlike. I'm a big girl. I can make my own decisions and deals. ...Right?

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Daisuke is silent for a long time. He finally speaks, adressing the image as if it were Sam herself.

Let me tell you a story, Sam. Maybe that will help you understand. First, I need to explain somthing.

Soul Society is connected with a world of the living, and souls actually cycle around these two worlds continuously. To a large degree, this is stable, with a slow input of new souls.

Most Shinigami do not remember much, or often any, of what sort of life they had when they were alive. I do.

My name back then, when I was alive, was still Daisuke Hayashi. I had a twin brother, Takeshi, and a little sister, Akemi. Takeshi and I were samurai, of the local lord. We were two of his best fighters. We were, more or less, happy.

Back in those days, what people in the world of the living now call the Edo Period, although there was peace over most of the land, there was still the occasional group bandits. It was against a group of these that Takeshi and I lost our lives.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

6. - Top - End - #396

Histor listens quietly.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

They had been raiding several villages in our lord's lands, and had commited several... atrocities, which I will not mention any further. Suffice to say that they were scum.

At that time, our father was dead, and it was just us, our mother and sister. We knew that if we fell in battle, our lord would take care of them both. He was an honourable man.

There were about 200 bandits, and our group of 50 was tasked to hold them until reenforcments could arrive. We were sucsessful, but the group took serious casulties. I remember standing on a field of blood, waching Takeshi fall from a slash to his torso... with a bandit's sword through my heart. The last I remember of being a part of the world of the living is seeing a figure, robed in black and carrying a katana, pressing the end of the hilt to my forehead, and the world suddenly dissolving around me.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

8. - Top - End - #398

Needless to say, the Deity is recording him saying this.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Daisuke knows that that is probably the case, and doesn't mind.

The next thing that I knew, I was in soul society, in the Rukon district- sort of like the suburbs of a city in the world of the living. I was sent to the 1st north Rukon district, one of the better place in the Rukon, but not Seretei, the center of Soul Society.

And I wanted to find some way that my skills- namely, fighting- could help people. It was suggested by a visiting Shinigami that I join the Shingami Academy myself, as he said that I had a great deal of latent spiritual power. So, I did. I joined, and learnt. And I found out the name of my Zanpaktou, my sword. Shinken. She taught me to use her to help protect others. A Zanpaktou is a part of our soul, and we need to find out its name in orderto use it fully.

He indicates the sword on his back.

And I graduated from the Academy in two years, a fast graduation. And so, five years after my death, I joined the Gotei 13, the 13 court guard squads, in squad 6. And then I was sent to the real world on a mission, to that place where I had lived. There were reports of a few attacks by Hollows. I was chosen specifically because I knew the area.

Several villages had been attacked by the Hollow. A hollow is what happens when a soul becomes empty, I suppose you could stay. They most often happen when a soul lingers in the world of the living for too long, and they attack and eat souls. But most often... they first attack, kill, and devour the families they had in life. And this was what happened with this particular Hollow. He devoured his sister. My sister.

Daisuke has been crying silently as he has been telling this part of the story, and at this completly breaks down.

The Hollow was my brother. Takeshi. They didn't find him and send him on in time, and he fell. He devoured the soul of our little sister, trying to fill the hole in his heart. Akemi was dead and her soul was consumed. She became a Hollow himself, it happens when a soul is consumed by a Hollow. Our mother survived Takeshi's attentions, but not her own despair. I performed the soul burial on her myself, and she went on. But we failed to find and purify Takeshi. The monster he had become escaped.
    Last edited by horngeek; 2009-04-23 at 06:17 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

10. - Top - End - #400

Sam's figure just listens, for history can be impassive at times.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

Daisuke pauses for a time, gathering up his energy to tell more.

The Hollow was designated as Great Beast by Soul Society, as they do for all Hollows. I do not know what he went through for the years after that, as we did not encounter each other. There were reports that he had been consuming other souls, but those stopped about fifty years ago. The reason thought then was that somone had managed to purify him without properly identifying him. That was not the case, but I will come to that later.

In the meantime, I rose through the ranks slowly but steadily. As of six years ago, I was the 3rd seat of 6th division- in other words, the third highest ranked, and third most powerful, officer in the 6th division. Although Vice-Captain Abarai and I were considered a lot closer in power than most. In fact, it was a matter of some debate about who was actually stronger.
    a small chuckle comes from Daisuke at this point.

Then, six years ago, my Captain's sister, Rukia Kuchiki, was arrested and imprisoned on various charges involving her conduct during an extended mission to the world of the living. These involved her giving her Shinigami powers to a fifteen year old boy, named Ichigo Kurosaki. She was found guilty by Central 46, our highest judicary body, and sentenced to execution by use of the Sōkyoku. The main part of this method that is relevant is that it utterly destroyed a soul. This sentence, as it was handed down by Central 46, was not subject to appeal of any kind.

But before this sentence could be carried out, the boy who she had given her powers to, Ichigo Kurosaki, came to save Rukia. My Captain, Byakuya Kuchiki, was resolved to follow the directives of Central 46. I followed him, as I respected and still respect him.

There was a lot of chaos. our Vice-Captain engaged Ichigo, was defeated, and Captain Kuchiki ordered him thrown in jail for engaging without permission. The vey next morning, the Captain of the 5th squad, Sōsuke Aizen, was found murdered, and his Vice-Captain, Momo Hinamori, attacked the 3rd squad Captain, Gin Ichimaru. For this, she, too, was imprisoned.

During this confusion, I trained, and managed to achieve the second release of my Zanpaktou, Bankai, by defeating the spirit of my Zanpaktou.

And the boy, Ichigo Kurosaki, suceeded. He blocked the Sōkyoku, which has the power of a million Zanpatou, with just his own. He rescued Rukia Kuchiki, and defeated Byakuya Kuchiki. Then, we all learnt the truth.

Three of our Captains has slaughtered Central 46 as soon as Rukia was found, and using illusions, issued the execution order for her. They had faked the death of their leader, using this same power, and wished to retrieve an object hidden in Rukia's soul. Aizen. Ichimaru. And the 9th squad Captain, Kaname Tousen, who was immune to Aizen's illusions due to his lack of sight.

Their origional plan had been for the Sōkyoku to dissolve Rukia's soul, and to simply take the object that they wished for. After that plan failed, they simply walked up to her and disrupted the integrity of her soul, allowing for the object to be extracted without any damage to her soul. Of course, Aizen didn't need her after that, so he tried to have her killed. She was narrowly rescued by her brother, who took the blow for her. The three traitors then escaped, having allied themselves with the Hollows

{{This post explains how my character fits into the Soul Society arc of Bleach}}

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

12. - Top - End - #402

The little girl fades out and back into Histor's more or less real form, albeit inconstant one, to listen, fascinated.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Now, after these events, we had a gap of three Captains, who were planning to attack us. So, we needed men to fill that gap. But, there are only three ways to become a captain. First, to take the captain proficiency test, a test that among other things, required the applicant to display the ability to use Bankai. This must be witnessed by three existing captains, including the Captain-Commander.
    The second is to have personal reccomendations from at least six captains and approval of at least three of the remaining seven.
    And the third is to defeat a captain one-on-one with at least 200 witnesses from the captain's division.

As I had achieved Bankai, I took the Captain proficiency test. I suceededand became the captain of the 5th division, replacing Captain Aizen's spot. I got a division that relied upon him, and a Vice-Captain that was absolutely shattered by his betrayal, and did not believe that he was a traitor.

I was sent to the world of the living on a mission to assist Ichigo Kurosaki in combating Aizen's forces, for Aizen had made Hollows more like Shinigami, in his quest to break the limits of power for us. These Hollows were called Arrancar. And one was my brother.

We fought several times during those events that came to be known in Soul Society as the "Winter War", and he ultimately escaped yet again. Aizen was defeated and cast down, and Vice-Captain Hinamori was healed. But my brother was still at large, and still causing havoc to a degree. And has still managed to evade all pursuit by Soul Society.

Daisuke is silent for a while. He then speaks again.

I do not blame my brother for his actions as a Hollow. I know that his actions are not truly his, and in purifying him, all his sins as a Hollow will be washed away anyway.

But our family, as a whole, has been wracked by strife after our deaths. My sister was purified, and has been reincarnated. Our mother has been too, as has our father. But they did not find much peace in their afterlives, and neither has my brother, or I. And we only have several lifetimes in Soul Society, depending on our actions there. But Samantha has all of eternity to look forward to under your care. So I ask you, Histor, what awaits her? Will an already burdened soul find peace, or torment?

Daisuke waits for Histor's answer.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

14. - Top - End - #404

Histor too is quiet for awhile. It was never my intention to do anything to Miss Goswell's soul that is not warranted be her actions.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe that for one such as her, from what I have seen, her soul deserves rest. Not rest as in sleep, but rest as in peace. Do you, also, believe this? And if not, why?
    Last edited by horngeek; 2009-04-23 at 09:53 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

16. - Top - End - #406

I do not feel either way. Mine is the way of the past, of everything that has happened. History has shone us precedents for people deserving of much to be given little.
    Last edited by FireFox; 2009-04-24 at 06:44 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

I misjudged you earlier, and your intentions. But you have already stated that you intend to treat Samantha as her actions warrant. And while I have some misgivings of a soul signing itself over to anything, I realise that the way souls work here would be different than the way souls work in my own world.

Daisuke stands up and gives Histor a formal Japanese bow.

Histor, I will take my leave here. I will not disturb you unduly again, and apologise for my earlier rashness. I do, however, ask that what I have told you about myself not be told to anyone who is not either a member of HALO or GLoG. Farewell, Histor.

Daisuke then walks out of the house and dissapears using Shunpo.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

18. - Top - End - #408

Tobias and Erin appear on the river bank.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

And Erin is already coming around...

If looks could kill, Tobias would be dead. Again.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

20. - Top - End - #410

Hullo. He, ever the irascible scoundrel, smiles charmingly at her. Fancy a swim?

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

"Do I get to drown you?" Erin snaps, as she goes to push herself up. "And as much as I'd like to see you skinny-dipping, I'll say 'no' until I know just what in Hades is going on here."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

22. - Top - End - #412

I'd actually like to know why you were comparing my DNA with... what? I suppose that must have been Toby Goswell's DNA, huh? He turns serious, looking at her searchingly.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Erin sighs, and nods slowly. "...yes. I would say your own DNA, but...that's not really the case, now is it?"
    She looks back at Tobias, her expression...guarded.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #414

I'm Tobias Vulpan. Vulpan being the name I took for my royal family line. You may have noticed that, before that, I didn't call myself Goswell... He frowns at her, looking a little hurt before adopting an expression of indifference. I'm the same man you know and love, Erin, why the mean look?

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

"I did notice that. I just thought that it was because you didn't want to..."
    Erin trails off, and sighs, taking a deep breath.
    "Sorry. It's just...a lot to take in."
    She manages to smile a little...
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2010-04-22 at 10:25 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #416

Yes yes, I'm sure. Now hurry up and jump in the river so you can forget about what I really am. He smirks slightly.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Erin smirks right back.
    "And what's gonna happen if I don't?"

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #418

What, and remember what we recently did? He makes a face. I'll just have to throw you in.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

Erin blushes at that reminder - but shakes her head.
    "You wouldn't even know if it had worked on me. Memory manipulation is hard. Half-ghost, remember? And...why? Why does it have to be such a big secret?"

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #420

Don't you see that river? This is where the dead souls forget about their lives. I bet it could work on a God, Erin. Beat. I could always just drown you, I bet.
    He shakes his head and stares at her.
    Hm, why would it not be a good idea for the guy who has spent his entire life campaigning against the control the Gods have over mortals to admit to a Faustian bargain with one of those Gods?