New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default wfrp or worlds largest dungeon for a new gm?

ive never GMed/ DMed before, and many of the people i play with have suggested different games for me to run, now, im good with improvising but they said to stick to a premade campaign for the first time, to get into the feel of things and not having to worry as much about story. many games were suggested and for me it came down to two (after much debate) weather to run a pre-made warhammer fantasy RP or to run (the start section of) worlds largest dungeon (3.5 ed d&d)

the reason im not sure between these two is that worlds largest is very definate from my point of view, they may be able to go many different ways but at the end of the day its all written down what happens in which room kind of thing (yes i know worlds largest is absolutely massive and i would never get through it realistically, thats why i would only use the starting few maps to make it shorter, comeing back to it later is also a possibility), where as wfrp, its pre-made adventures are a much more mixture of combat and roleplay opposed to worlds largest, which is alot more on combat, wfrp also has a nice feel to it anyway, its very dark and gritty, and i enjoy playing wfrp very much and i feel as if i know its system slightly better, where as there feels to be alot more rules to d&d 3.5 where i can miss alot out easily without realising.

i would like other peoples oppinions on this, and any other possible roleplays are welcome too. and thanks in advance
    Last edited by littlebottom; 2008-11-26 at 09:37 PM.
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: wfrp or worlds largest dungeon for a new gm?

Heh, I ran WLD as my first module. It was fun.

As long as you know what those things in the monster description mean, and you know when the players *have* to fail a save, you are good.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I haven't played it, but WLD sounds like it caters to one type of gaming - hack and slash. If it's your first shot at GMing it makes sense to go for something more varied so that you can see what parts of GMing appeal to you.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Cop-out answer: go with whatever fits your comfort zone better.

Personal preference: WFRP, all the way. It's one of the games I use to introduce new players to gaming (everyone in the UK knows GW ). The advantage of something like WFRP over WLD is that you can throw in loads of different adventure types in wildly different environments. Everything from political intrigue, exploration, murder mystery, horror, open war, archaeological dungeon-crawling, epic LOTR-style quests, even comedy. The Old World is your (manky, rotten) oyster.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    I haven't played it, but WLD sounds like it caters to one type of gaming - hack and slash. If it's your first shot at GMing it makes sense to go for something more varied so that you can see what parts of GMing appeal to you.
    QFT, I belive, is the acronym.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    +1 QFT

Pathfinder stuff is pretty good. Crimson throne has 1-6 releases that are free.