New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Anyone else had to deal with "evil is cool, good is dumb" players?

My entire D&D group is like this. My character is NG. The other characters are LN (he's a monk, though, so he's only Lawful because he has to be), CG (In name only, he's more like CN), 2 CNs, and a NE. The upshot of this is that every session feels to me like we're playing Paranoia - constantly wondering when we betray each other or slaughter each other (except, of course, I can't do this because of my alignment - ingame, my character doesn't know any of this is happening, meaning he'll be at a huge advantage if things fall apart). Generally, this means I can choose between my character leaving (not really an option since I actually like to, y'know, participate) or acting Stupid Good, thus furthering the stereotype.

Now here's something interesting. Recently, we playtested a sci-fi RPG I've been designing on my own. Upon character creation, each player was to assign their characters a 'morality' - Altruistic (simiilar to LG, NG, or CG), Dutiful (LN), Pragmatic (CN or TN), Self-Serving (LE/NE), or Sadistic (CE). I gave descriptions of these, but did not compare them to any D&D alignments. The result? Most players made their characters Altruistic or Dutiful, and generally avoided Stupid Good/Lawful Stupid quite well, and I saw no signs of the Paranoia-esque tension that ran so high in our D&D game.

While I realize this isn't exactly an epic sweeping discovery here, I just thought I'd share the experience, and would like to hear stories from others who have dealt with players who hold the "good is dumb" mentality.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Anyone else had to deal with "evil is cool, good is dumb" players?

A couple of my RL group's players tend to play out CN, not because they're aiming to...it's just the way their gaming minds work.

We experimented for a while with the alignment-free Arcana Evolved ruleset, but the characters ALL evolved into selfish backstabbing a**holes.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Killjoy View Post
    ...The result? Most players made their characters Altruistic or Dutiful, and generally avoided Stupid Good/Lawful Stupid quite well, and I saw no signs of the Paranoia-esque tension that ran so high in our D&D game.
    That's quite interesting, actually.
    The Impossible Thing Before Breakfast- "The GM is the author of the story and the players direct the actions of the protagonists." Widely repeated across many role-playing texts. Neither sub-clause in the sentence is possible in the presence of the other.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I have only neutrals in my group, always.

No hope for good, no. No way.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I'm currently playing a paladin who is surrounded by people who have migrated to evil. I tend to take it in stride that I solve problems pretty much just as well as they do without resorting to horrendous evils.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I'm currently playing a paladin who is surrounded by people who have migrated to evil. I tend to take it in stride that I solve problems pretty much just as well as they do without resorting to horrendous evils.
    Should you kind of have... fallen, by now? I mean, there is some rule about non-association with evil characters, if I recall...
    The Impossible Thing Before Breakfast- "The GM is the author of the story and the players direct the actions of the protagonists." Widely repeated across many role-playing texts. Neither sub-clause in the sentence is possible in the presence of the other.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

God told me I had to cooperate. It has led to me complaining in character about the atrocities, but they try to do those when I'm not around.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

given that there are novels out there in 2nd ed where paladin has to cooperate with demons and yugoloths, there is precedent.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

its the setting
    people always want to play more heroic when its sci-fi and be more altruistic maybe they wanna be jedis, maybe trekkies, but they tend to associate a modernistic view of helping others with the future.

DnD on the other hand tends to net a lot of the evil is cool i can be selfish and greedy and backstabbing because its the way the world works.

its hard to be the good guy when everyone else is evil, but since your neutral good take a step to chaotic and use the other characters paranoia and inherent mistrusts to befriend them after all your the only one they can really trust and then use them to do good in the world :P

10. - Top - End - #10

Yeah, but there should at least be a good in-character rationale involved. Not just DM fiat.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bad thing: Take any two authors and they will contradict each other.
    Good thing: This underlines the fact, that everyone is free to make his own interpreation for his story or game.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

And a succubus who became a paladin after falling in love with one.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Good in D&D is consistently dumb (at least lawful good). Most of the peopel I game with are generally neutral.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

14. - Top - End - #14

that's your interpretation. Not every author of D&D novels does this- Dragonbait, in Azure Bonds, for example. And there are other novels.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Good in D&D is consistently dumb (at least lawful good). Most of the peopel I game with are generally neutral.
    i must disagree with this, personaly i think being evil is stupid.

my main point for this is the quality of afterlife you get depending on if you are good or evil.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

my main point for this is the quality of afterlife you get depending on if you are good or evil.
    No, being good isn't dumb (being evil get's a much worse afterlife). Those that are good also happen to be consistently less than intelligent in practice. The lawful good D&D guy won't just execute the prisoner who's trial could easily destabilize the nation and result in a civil war. It's simply not in their nature. I'm not saying evil is much more intelligent (destroying the world when your afterlife is eternity in hell isn't an intelligent act), just that is can be without breaking character.

An evil person can be nice without breaking their alignment, a good person can't be mean and nasty without breaking theirs.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jill View Post
    That's quite interesting, actually.
    There is definitly something to it. The biggest (potential) butthole in my group tends to want to play paladins, angels, archons, etc...
    Last edited by Crow; 2008-11-30 at 06:16 PM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

18. - Top - End - #18

Pragmatism = More intelligent? that is an interesting opinion.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    God told me I had to cooperate. It has led to me complaining in character about the atrocities, but they try to do those when I'm not around.
    Man, your DM doesn't screw around. That's one way to solve the Paladin + evil characters problem, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

That depends on the setting. In many settings, evil deities reward their followers just like good deities do. In others, everyone goes to the same afterlife regardless of alignment. Often the good reward isn't very nice, either -- you get your memories and individuality wiped, then end up physically becoming a part of a fluffy-cloud good-aligned plane? Woo. I think I can see why most Stabby McEvilface characters are not excited by that prospect.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-11-30 at 06:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    An evil person can be nice without breaking their alignment, a good person can't be mean and nasty without breaking theirs.
    Sadly, I can't disagree with this. The BoED seems to effectively mandate 'Good characters as short-sighted morons' since it rules out any possibility of greater-good thinking.

21. - Top - End - #21

Maybe the writers had read enough of where "Greater Good" thinking tends to end up-

"some of the worst things in the world have been done by people with the best of intentions"

and so on.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    I'd like to introduce you to exhibit A, Samuel Vimes, and exhibit B, Esmeralda Weatherwax.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jill View Post
    Sadly, I can't disagree with this. The BoED seems to effectively mandate 'Good characters as short-sighted morons' since it rules out any possibility of greater-good thinking.
    One badly-written book for one game. People are good and evil in games that aren't DND, too, although it's not written on their sheets explicitly as there's no alignment.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    There is definitly something to it. The biggest (potential) butthole in my group tends to want to play paladins, angels, archons, etc...
    Sounds more like a problem with the player than the alignment. Its entirely possible to play a sensible, intelligent LG paladin who can actually function in a society of other alignments. If you or your fellow player can't, thats your shortcoming, not that of the class and alignment.

24. - Top - End - #24

i'd have said one book with a mix of good and bad ideas, but thats me.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "some of the worst things in the world have been done by people with the best of intentions"
    It's true that about 90% of evil characters start off down that road, but it happens to be a valid line of argument in many cases- Mace Windu vs. Palpatine, for starters.

One of the things I like about BSG, for instance, is that it genuinely tries to make a compelling case for both Means-the-end and No-exceptions thinking. Sometimes, you have to be willing to do evil to do greater good, and sometimes, the toll that takes upon the soul is too great to bear. What I dislike are systems that wag their finger and presume to judge what's best for a given situation without regard for context or individual character.

The other thing I disliked about BoED is that it provides a near-exact mirror-image of BoVD, right down to diseases-and-poisons-that-aren't-evil-because-we-say-so.

26. - Top - End - #26

main problem I have is when someone says: the pragmatic approach is never evil, and player character is still morally perfect.

27. - Top - End - #27

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshade View Post
    its the setting
    people always want to play more heroic when its sci-fi and be more altruistic maybe they wanna be jedis, maybe trekkies, but they tend to associate a modernistic view of helping others with the future.
    I disagree with that. People also want to be Sith, Mandalorians, pirates, smugglers, Imperial officers, Klingons before their racial Heel-Face turn, etc... There are just as many chaotic and/or evil archetypes in Sci-Fi as there are lawful and/or good archetypes.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    main problem I have is when someone says: the pragmatic approach is never evil, and player character is still morally perfect.
    There are two forms of pragmatism. Self serving pragmatism, which can be evil, neutral, or appear good. There is society serving pragmatism, which is almost inevitably good unless taken to extremes.

29. - Top - End - #29

mm, maybe. not all writers feel that way- some are wary of the "for the good of society" justification. Though some might take it a little too far the other way.

Star Trek's Kodos the Executioner is classic example of a little too much "good of the many"
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-11-30 at 06:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Personally I enjoy playing amoral or outright evil characters simply because heroes are so stereotyped as being good. I've been known to play good characters, but I get bored of them quickly. I can really only play a character (and still desire to play them) continuously if they're somewhat neutral.

I also like the challenge of being evil right under the noses of goody-two-shoes without getting caught.
    Melusine-esque Avatar made by the awesome Akrim.elf!
    Genderbender Week Yuan-ti Avatar by Bisected8.

Xe/xyr are my favourite pronouns, so feel free to refer to me as such instead of she/her.