New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Getting started in D&D

*prepares for maelstrom of advice* Where do i get started? *hides under a blanket*

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Getting started in D&D

Highly recommend the SRD. Read all of it. My group has one annoying player that hasn't even read half the core rules. Don't be that guy.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

next find a group in real life or in here that is willing to help you along the game, character creation, role playing, rule set, and everything else. ;)
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azriel View Post
    *prepares for maelstrom of advice* Where do i get started? *hides under a blanket*
    Here. Also here.

Note that the first link is 3.5 and the current selling edition is 4e. You can't go wrong with the srd link though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

thanks for the start. now silly question.....whats an SRD? i think i caught that at camp

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

This

It's a compilation of most of 3.5's basic rules.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Join a game, any game, nearby (or an online game if none are nearby) and don't worry about knowing the rules in your first two or three sessions. Honestly, play first, learn the rules later (as they're less important than simply enjoying the game).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azriel View Post
    thanks for the start. now silly question.....whats an SRD? i think i caught that at camp
    Systems Reference Document. the basic rules, stripped of flavour, poetic language, and one or two important rules, available online, for free, to download and wade though at your lesuire.

really, though, the best way to start is to find a actual flesh-and blood gamer, and ask them for help in getting into the game. the SRD is rather dry and legalistic in tone. It's great as a document to refer to, but trying to learn the rules form it without someone to help you is rather hard.

as Kurald says, it's best to get a game and learn the rules as you go, as reading a rules set doesn't stick as well as using the rules set. Plus, you get to see the fun bits of the game without too much frontloading of boring stuff (ie, you get to chop/stab/smite/rain infernal fire down on your foes.)

the only other advice I'd give you is:

1) if given a choice between two or more options, go for the one that you think is coolest, all else being equal. Mechanical strenght is nice and all, but I'd rather play a cool but weak character than a strong but soulless one.

2) enjoy yourself.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

9. - Top - End - #9

1) Find a group that is willing to work with you and help you learn the game.

2) Borrow a PHB.

3) Read it a bunch, come to the group (or just your contact) with a bunch of questions.

4) With a basic understanding, join in and learn as you play.

Also, realize that there's a rather large difference between 4th edition D&D (recently released and currently being supported by WotC) and 3.5 edition D&D (which still has a large following).

And many threads and discussions have attempted to address those differences, but if I tried to sum it up for you:

4E is to D&D what EM is to DotA. It is geared towards a more casual game style, it is shallower and simplier then 3.5 and in general leans heavily towards many common videogame/MMO troupes and conventions.

That being said, it is easier to pick up for someone that is new and/or less intelligent, simply because it is designed to be easier and simplier. It is also much harder to make bad choices, to die in game and in general the system tries to coddle you at every step.

In a nutshell, if you want a more immersive, deep and simulation-oriented roleplaying game, go for 3.5. If you want an easier, simpler, more balanced game that is focused much more on the "rule of cool", having casual fun and messing about, go for 4E.

I will admit I despise 4E, but I have tried to give you honest and accurate advice here nonetheless. Although, I'm certain I'll get people jumping all over me and picking apart my descriptions: this is a forum afterall.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-12-01 at 08:47 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kizara View Post
    With a basic understanding, join in and learn as you play.
    I'd say just this. And by 'basic understanding' I mean, 'If you want to do something, roll a d20'.
    If you get someone to do character creation with you, all the relevant numbers will be on your character sheet, and you'll pick it up pretty fast.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I'd say just this. And by 'basic understanding' I mean, 'If you want to do something, roll a d20'.
    If you get someone to do character creation with you, all the relevant numbers will be on your character sheet, and you'll pick it up pretty fast.
    Well, it depends on what is important to you I suppose.

Do you just want to roleplay a common trope in a fantasy setting, with a group of gamers?

Are you also looking to really understand how your setting works, your character's abilities and options, and the general metagame of how the game works?

Alot of people tend towards the former, I'm much more the latter, YMMV.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, it depends on what is important to you I suppose.

Do you just want to roleplay a common trope in a fantasy setting, with a group of gamers?

Are you also looking to really understand how your setting works, your character's abilities and options, and the general metagame of how the game works?

Alot of people tend towards the former, I'm much more the latter, YMMV.
    Well, I would prefer the latter too, but the former is easier to start out with.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

4E is to D&D what EM is to DotA.
    That metaphor would be more useful if you explained what EM and DOTA are
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

If you can find a group of people to join, great. If not, plenty of people got started on their own.
    I find that knowing the rules is less important than learning to enjoy the game. You'll need to understand basic stuff, like how to tell if you hit someone /got hit during combat, but don't get too bogged down with all the rules. Mostly, start by imagining a character you'd really like to portray, and go from there.
    As far as editions go, I prefer 4e to 3.5, but you can have a lot of fun with either. 3.5 has rules for a lot more situations than 4th. Whether that's a positive or negative depends on your viewpoint. I think it'd be easier to start with 4th ed, but hey, I learned from 2nd edition AD&D, which had a massive quiltwork of many different rules, using different approaches. And I had a blast.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That metaphor would be more useful if you explained what EM and DOTA are
    DotA stands for Defense of the Ancients a mini-game within Warcraft3 where a player controls a single hero in (typically) 5 vs 5 player pvp combat. The hero gains levels, spells, and items in a similar manner to an RPG or MMORPG style game. The goal is to destroy your opponents "Ancient" (big tree or throne in base, depending on what side you are on) while "defending" your "ancient", hence the name. Its a great game with a VERY steep learning curve and a nearly fanatical following despite the fact that Warcraft3 is nearly 8.5 years old(ancient by video game standards).

EM or -EM is a command in DotA which stands for Easy Mode, a version which accelerates xp and gold gain, making for usually shorter, more intense games that rely on gear more than the more intricate strategies of a non-EM game. I'm thinking this is where Kiz drew the analagy. 4e simplifies and accelerates gameplay, which people who really enjoy the complexity and strategy of all aspects of the game tend to resent, much in the way that most veteran DotA players tend to resent the popularity of -EM games.

BTW, Kizara's location is a reference to DotA as well. When a program called Banlist is used, the host of the game can determine the relative location of all members of the game. All countries have a code (US, CA, etc). When you ping a single player, it returns a message that says "PersonX comes from the United States (US). Some people have used hack programs to spoof Banlist so that their location comes back as something like Ownageville (OV) or Leet Nation (LN).

and now back to your regularly scheuduled thread (can you tell I'm bored today?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

16. - Top - End - #16

Nicely done, although you didn't bash EM enough really. It doesn't just "remove some aspects of strategy", it makes the game a joke.

Anyways, thanks and I'm glad SOMEONE finally got the BL referance...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Seriously, what's up with the 4th ed-bashing/pigeonholing? Let the guy decide for himself!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Nicely done, although you didn't bash EM enough really. It doesn't just "remove some aspects of strategy", it makes the game a joke.
    I dunno, I'm usually pressed for time when I get online to play DotA, and usually only have time for 1-2 games. EM games get into the action a bit faster, and thus have a certain fun to em. Sometimes you don't want to wait until 10 min into the game to learn your ultimate.

That said, I play a lot of non-EM games too. I tend to play more EM games with AR (All Random) than AP (All Pick) or SD (Single Draft) or RD (Random Draft) because even if I get stuck with a hero who I'm only moderately proficient with, at least the game progresses quickly.

I've known you played DotA ever since you made a thread a couple years back looking for a good Antimage build. I told you to go 2 Bashers and a Hyper, and you told me you perfer 1 Basher and a Butterfly. Then we went back to talking about your D&D character.

And thats the last I'll derail this thread. Just had to touch on that one subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

19. - Top - End - #19

Anyways, thanks and I'm glad SOMEONE finally got the BL referance...
    Well, I did learn how to play dota with EM, thank you very much, altough now I rarely play it, indeed.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

I have a feeling death will be eminent if you do not find a real flesh and blood gamer. I can not stress the boredom that you will attain if you attempt to play your first game online.

In other news, my first DnD game was as a GM. both 3.5 and 4.0

So if you have friends, maybe buy some books (15$ used, 3 books to play for 3.5, $60 for Amazon.com for 4.0) and then read read read. The rules, especially 4.0, are easy to pickup. and besides, if you're playing with people that aren't total jerks, the time should be fun even if you miss a few rules your first session, or adventure, or campaign.

oh, you might also want a cutting board paritioned into 1 inch squares.
    Perfectly sane, for a given definiton of sanity.

21. - Top - End - #21

1) Realise that there's no such thing as a stupid question.
    Seriously, this is important. It's more fun for all parties if you ask if you're in doubt.

2) Ask us
    You've obviously already realised this, but it bears repeating. This board has members numbering in the tens of thousands, so no matter how odd, obscure or obvious your question is, we'll probably find an answer.
    The fastest animal alive today is a small dinosaur, Falco Peregrino.
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

Calcifer the Fire Demon by Djinn_In_Tonic

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

You're a newbie to D&D, so I honestly recommend 4e over 3.5e as learning the game is by far easier, and with less material, buying the nessecary books won't severely damage your wallet. Of course, there are less than legal methods but I won't delve into them at all.

By the way, KKL was here, Kizara's opinion on 4e should be disregarded completely as his opinions are clouded by hate. And that leads to the Dark Side.

Seriously, what's up with the 4th ed-bashing/pigeonholing? Let the guy decide for himself!
    Because editions are serious business.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Because editions are serious business.
    I think we agree here: I was trying to point out, that biased comments are not a stylish thing to do when advising beginners.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    I think we agree here: I was trying to point out, that biased comments are not a stylish thing to do when advising beginners.
    Hooray! We agree!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Join a game, any game, nearby (or an online game if none are nearby) and don't worry about knowing the rules in your first two or three sessions. Honestly, play first, learn the rules later (as they're less important than simply enjoying the game).
    I reject this. Along with other comments of this nature. Learn the rules first, all of them, or else you'll be an idiot who is never invited back again.
    Last edited by Raroy; 2008-12-01 at 10:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, you should learn the basics. You don't want to be the guy that doesn't know how to roll for attack or damage when told to do so.

That said, it is much more important to find some gamers and try to have fun. The exact level of rules literacy demanded will depend on the gamers, though. In my group, you wouldn't need to know more than basic character creation, adding up attack, damage, and AC modifiers, initiative, attack and damage rolls, and maybe basic spellcasting knowledge (it may sound like a lot, but it isn't that bad). Anything else will be either looked up or ignored. Some groups might want you to know more than that. I wouldn't worry about it. Just give it a try... if you end up with people who aren't willing to give you any leeway because you're new, then try to find others.

Good luck, and have fun!
    Elina d'Lyrandar, Bard 4/Dragonmark Heir 4/Windwright Captain 5/Storm Sentry 2

"Arise, my children. Only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable...... even by death itself." -Soon, OOTS #449

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raroy View Post
    I reject this. Along with other comments of this nature. Learn the rules first, all of them, or else you'll be an idiot who is never invited back again.
    Playstyles differ, but in my opinion that sounds like a poor group! Make a character (or have a friend make one for you based on some basic guidelines), and have fun! It should be as simple as that!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

I find that learning the basics of the system and then finding an accomodating group so you learn as you go is far better, because information sticks easily when you learn while you do. At least that's my experience.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    Playstyles differ, but in my opinion that sounds like a poor group! Make a character (or have a friend make one for you based on some basic guidelines), and have fun! It should be as simple as that!
    Some people don't want to waste their time with someone who does not even know how the sleep spell works.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Some people don't want to waste their time with someone who does not even know how the sleep spell works.
    Start with a Fighter character, then.