New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Swordsage help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Swordsage help

Hi all
    I'm making a lvl. 15 Swordsage and I need help choosing manoeuvres and stances. I'm aiming at fast and flashy.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Thiel; 2008-12-02 at 07:33 PM.
    The fastest animal alive today is a small dinosaur, Falco Peregrino.
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

Calcifer the Fire Demon by Djinn_In_Tonic

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Swordsage help

Two-Weapon? Two-Handed? Stealthy? Tank? Controller? Damage dealer? Insufficient data.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Swordsages tend to get decent numbers of maneuvers, so you can generally mix/match 3 schools and not have problems with prereqs. For fast and flashy, I'd suggest Setting Sun, Desert Wind, and Tiger Claw, and duel wield short swords or kukiris.

Another idea I've been thinking is using a spiked chain and using mostly Diamond Mind and Shadow Hand, dipping a bit into Stone Dragon.

Unarmed SS is pretty good too. Snap Kick and Xing Mongoose boosts can give you a ton of attacks per round, which can be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

4. - Top - End - #4

When it comes to flashy, IMO, there's nothing like the manuvers from Tiger Claw and Setting Sun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Just play a Monk. it had to be done
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-12-02 at 08:02 PM.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Enlong View Post
    but why did it have to be done???

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Unarmed Swordsage Fad.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    For fast and flashy, I'd suggest Setting Sun, Desert Wind, and Tiger Claw, and duel wield short swords or kukiris.
    Unless your DM will let you refluff Desert Wind to deal some other kind of energy damage, don't take it at such a high level. There is a massive amount of creatures at that level that are very resistant or outright immune to fire (or cast spells or have magic items that can do those things).

Shadow Hand is good for getting miss % chances and paralyzing (essential save or die next round) strikes.

Tiger Claw is good for outright damage if you go for the Bloodclaw prestige class that gives you Two-Weapon Fighting without penalty.

Diamond Mind is good for replacing saving throws with a Skill Check that you can't auto-fail on a 1.

I've always been a fan of taking Improved Critical and dual-wielding Keen Kukris.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Enlong View Post
    Win WHITE SPACE!
    Still here, just a little busy to social post

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by: drKarling, The_Chilli_God and The_Chilli_God

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I've always been a fan of taking Improved Critical and dual-wielding Keen Kukris.
    Keen and Imp Crit doesn't stack.
    The fastest animal alive today is a small dinosaur, Falco Peregrino.
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

Calcifer the Fire Demon by Djinn_In_Tonic

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thiel View Post
    Maybe he still plays in 3.0 where they did?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm going to recommend a little Stone Dragon in the mix. It can really bring some hurt to a fight if you take one of the (Adjective) Mountain strikes, which saved my group on an occasion or two.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thiel View Post
    Oh, crud, sorry. I forgot about that after recently playing in a campaign with a DM who houseruled that into 3.5. I played a kukri-wielding character just for the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by sombrastewart View Post
    I'm going to recommend a little Stone Dragon in the mix. It can really bring some hurt to a fight if you take one of the (Adjective) Mountain strikes, which saved my group on an occasion or two.
    In my experience, the only thing a Swordsage really needs Stone Dragon for is if he wants to be able to cut through any door or wall that the DM doesn't explicitly state to be arbitrarily immune to damage (or made of Force or some such).

Those "ignore hardness" maneuvers can really derail a DM who isn't prepared for it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    In my experience, the only thing a Swordsage really needs Stone Dragon for is if he wants to be able to cut through any door or wall that the DM doesn't explicitly state to be arbitrarily immune to damage (or made of Force or some such).

Those "ignore hardness" maneuvers can really derail a DM who isn't prepared for it.
    Yeah, I admit, it can. It's excellent for golem-smashing, which was the particular challenge we ran into.