Cold Iron Savage

The Lord of Blades and two cold iron savages

Medium Construct (Living Construct)
    HD: 6d10+18 (51 hp)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 21 (+3 Dex, +8 Natural), touch 13, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+8
    Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d6+4) or claw +8 melee (1d6+4, 19-20/x2)
    Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d6+4) and two claws +6 melee (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Cold iron body
    Special Qualities: Bestial instinct, darkvision 60 ft., DR 10/adamantine or cold iron, fortification, living construct traits, low-light vision, mindless, scent
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 19, Dex 17, Con 16, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Skills: --
    Feats: Improved Initiativeb, Multiattackb, Power Attackb
    Environment: Any plains or urban
    Organization: Solitary, pair or collection (3-10)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 7-12 HD(medium), 13-20 HD(large)
    Level Adjustment: --

This creature is a horrible combination of a reptile, machine and feral wolf. It's body seems streamlined, albeit somewhat ragged and covered in faded metal plating, with two burning coals for eyes, vicious jaws and curved knives for claws. It's appearance would lead you to believe it is a metal plated reptile, but the way it moves might lead you to believe it is a hunting dog or cunning wolf. A long, whiplike tail sways back and forth behind it as it glares at you, a hungry look in it's artificial eyes.

Cold iron savages are unique constructs made of semi-living material and thick cold iron plates and blades. They are commonly built by wealthy artificers as attack dogs and a more expensive alternative to iron defenders, and are more marketable than said iron homonculi.

Cold iron savages are roughly 5 feet long from head to backside, not including tail and weigh 250 pounds. Cold iron savages do not speak any languages but understand basic Common.

COMBAT
    Cold iron savages attack like wolves or other similar animals, attacking using artificial instinct despite their mindlessness as though they were animals themselves. Cold iron savages will occasionally flee temporarily if they've sustained a good deal of damage but recall their masters orders and return to the fight.

Bestial Instincts (Ex): Despite their constructed form, cold iron savages are built with the essence of sacrificed animals and inherit some of their instincts. Cold iron savages will attack any hostile creature making any kind of threat against their masters, despite orders given, and have a 50% chance of attacking even if ordered not to. Additionally, cold iron savages will guard their owners without orders, even if ordered not to. Lastly, if a cold iron savage is brought to 20% of their max hp or less, they have a 50% chance to use their round making a full retreat action.

Cold Iron Body (Ex): Cold iron savages are constructed of blood-stained wood wrapped in a full cold iron sheath or armor. Because of this, it's natural weapons are considered to be cold iron for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Fortification (Ex): Whenever a cold iron savage would be dealt extra damage from a sneak attack, critical hit, or a similar source of precision-based damage, there is a 50% chance that the extra damage is negated.

Mindless (Ex): Cold iron savages aren't constructed with actual intellect, simply instinct and nothing else. Because of this cold iron savages have no Int score, and have immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).

Construction
    A cold iron savage's body must be shaped from several large blocks of wood and cold iron plating, in addition to the blood of a sacrificed animal of at least 4 HD (or half of that if the animal has scent). Crafting these materials require a DC 15 Craft (metalworking) check, and these materials cost 4,000gp.
    Cold iron savages of higher than 6 HD can be created, with an additional cost of 4,000gp per HD if bought, and 2,000gp if created.

CL 11th; Craft Construct, animate objects, keen edge, magic fang, caster must be 11th level; Price 14,000 gp; 7,000 gp + 560 XP
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-06-07 at 07:47 AM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Expensive Alternative to the Iron Defender [3.5 Monster]

Cold iron savages are roughly 5 feet long from head to backside, not including tail and weigh 250 pounds. Iron defenders do not speak any languages but understand basic Common.
    Got a typo there. Figure that should be Cold iron savages?

Other than that, looks good. Also, where's that pic from?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Got a typo there. Figure that should be Cold iron savages?

Other than that, looks good. Also, where's that pic from?
    Just nicked it from Wayne Reynolds' site.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It's appearance would lead you to believe it is a metal played reptile,
    Should be "plated".

Also, I assume you only check once per time it drops below the hp thresh-hold for retreat?

As a behind the scenes thing, why did you give the Bestial Instincts drawbacks?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Should be "plated".

Also, I assume you only check once per time it drops below the hp thresh-hold for retreat?

As a behind the scenes thing, why did you give the Bestial Instincts drawbacks?
    Yes, just the once.

The drawbacks were mostly flavor, but it also made me feel good about getting one of these for the cost of a +3 weapon.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

The only thing I see holding back an artificer from picking these over Iron Defenders is that they're not homunculi, thus requiring them to burn a feat slot.

Also, the pic and description scream to me that Cold Iron Savages should have Pounce. They look and sound like the type to go rushing in full-pelt, claws leading the way. Maybe a Greater Cold Iron Savage could be in order, perhaps?
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    The only thing I see holding back an artificer from picking these over Iron Defenders is that they're not homunculi, thus requiring them to burn a feat slot.

Also, the pic and description scream to me that Cold Iron Savages should have Pounce. They look and sound like the type to go rushing in full-pelt, claws leading the way. Maybe a Greater Cold Iron Savage could be in order, perhaps?
    I was thinking of making a small line of them with different materials, and possibly I'll include a greater cold iron savage.

Spoiler
    Show