New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [3.5] Optimizing a gestalt archer

So, I'm currently building a level 15 gestalt character who, as per title, focuses on ranged combat. He's for the arena that's getting started, so single combat is what he needs to be good at. So far, I'm planning to do Barbarian 15/Rouge 5/Order of the Bow Initiate 10. The barbarian and the rouge are using the UA feature swapping to loose rage to gain ranger favored enemy and ranged mastery, and loosing sneak attack to gain fighter bonus feat progression. Barbarian gives good defense and mobility, and the OotBI lets me make ranged attacks without provoking, so I don't need to worry about melee characters getting within threat range.

My most likely changes are to take less barbarian levels for another prestige class, and to take less OotBI levels (I need 2 for the close attack, but any odd level gets me nice precision damage) Another option is to sub in scout for the rouge levels, which still lets me into OotBI at 6, but gives me some nice abilities instead. One thing of great importance for this is that spellcasting is strictly not allowed in this arena, so no magic abilities and such. Tome of Battle is allowed, though I don't know much about the ToB myself.

Edit: I just realized this should probably be in the character builder thread. Silly me, I forgot it was even there.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2008-12-05 at 08:18 AM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Optimizing a gestalt archer

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    So, I'm currently building a level 15 gestalt character who, as per title, focuses on ranged combat. He's for the arena that's getting started, so single combat is what he needs to be good at. So far, I'm planning to do Barbarian 15/Rouge 5/Order of the Bow Initiate 10. The barbarian and the rouge are using the UA feature swapping to loose rage to gain ranger favored enemy and ranged mastery, and loosing sneak attack to gain fighter bonus feat progression. Barbarian gives good defense and mobility, and the OotBI lets me make ranged attacks without provoking, so I don't need to worry about melee characters getting within threat range.

My most likely changes are to take less barbarian levels for another prestige class, and to take less OotBI levels (I need 2 for the close attack, but any odd level gets me nice precision damage) Another option is to sub in scout for the rouge levels, which still lets me into OotBI at 6, but gives me some nice abilities instead. One thing of great importance for this is that spellcasting is strictly not allowed in this arena, so no magic abilities and such. Tome of Battle is allowed, though I don't know much about the ToB myself.

Edit: I just realized this should probably be in the character builder thread. Silly me, I forgot it was even there.
    In what sense is spellcasting not allowed... Does it include spells? Spell-likes? Scrolls/Wands?
    Sig'd

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Might I suggest trying to convince your DM to allow this homebrew class? It's from the forums, so it must be balanced!
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe it's just all spells and spell-like abilities, including spells cast from sources other than yourself, so no wands or scrolls. Normal WBL at level 15, which is 200,000 gold I think. Magic items are allowed, you're just not supposed to do spellcasting cheese. I see no reason to push the line for that, so I'm planning to just forgoe any magic stuff in general. If there's a class that would really help the build and that isn't too magicky, I might try to take it, but otherwise I'd like to stick to natural ability type stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    Might I suggest trying to convince your DM to allow this homebrew class? It's from the forums, so it must be balanced!
    Just looking at it, I don't think it's balanced. I'm gunna stay off of homebrew unless it's some tried-and-true homebrew that has seen plenty of use and a number of people supporting it's balanced status.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2008-12-05 at 08:30 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

A dip into ToB is always nice. Scout/Ranger of course lets you add on a good bit of bonus damage, and there's a non-spellcasting variant. Maybe something like Scout 1/Rogue 11/Scout 3//Barb 1/Ranger 11/Warblade 3. Go Greater Manyshot, of course, take the Ranger ACF from PHBII to lose your useless AC and make enemies flatfooted, snag a Belt of Battle and Improved Skirmish, and make the enemy beg for mercy. 11d6 per shot FTW.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Make sure your weapon has the Splitting ability (+3 enhancement). Each arrow it fires splits into two a fraction before it strikes its target. This means two identical arrows strike the target, and as far as I know, bonus damage applies twice.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Care to flesh out that build a bit more, especially how it works? Is there some reliable method of getting sneak attacks that you're taking all those levels of rouge for? I'd also like to get at least OotBI 2 for the close range shot, and was also thinking of getting kip up with a 1 level dip into thief-acrobat as well.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Care to flesh out that build a bit more, especially how it works? Is there some reliable method of getting sneak attacks that you're taking all those levels of rouge for? I'd also like to get at least OotBI 2 for the close range shot, and was also thinking of getting kip up with a 1 level dip into thief-acrobat as well.
    Ranger ACF. Makes the enemy count as Flanked. Alternatively either a Ring of Blinking or Greater Invisibility works well.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Ranger ACF. Makes the enemy count as Flanked. Alternatively either a Ring of Blinking or Greater Invisibility works well.
    ACF? Please go easy on the acronyms and shortenings...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

ACF? Please go easy on the acronyms and shortenings...
    Alternate Class Feature. Lose the pet, gain an ability. Combined with the Swift Hunter feat(Ranger and Scout stack for the purposes of Skirmish/Favored Enemy), Splitting, Greater Manyshot, Improved Skirmish, and a good bow, you end up dealing damage in the levels of the upper obscene(6 arrows at -6 AB dealing 6d6 SA+6d6 Skirmish+1d8 damage).
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

11. - Top - End - #11

alternate class feature from phb 2
    personally i'd go with ranger/scout on one side of your progression (swift hunter feat).
    possibly fighter for feats on other side.
    psionics? if allowed psychic warrior.
    if not get wild talent as a feat as this allows a non-psionic character to get psionic feats (no powers so within the rules as stated)
    then get psionic shot, greater psi shot, psi meditation and you're golden.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    if this thread is a 4e thread then play 3.5
    if this thread is a 3.5 thread then play 4e

devils advocacy by signature

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

You don't mean Distracting Attack, do you? Because you specifically can't benefit from that yourself. It's for your allies only.

I don't know about psionics, but I assume they are not allowed. I don't like them much anyways.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2008-12-05 at 09:05 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

You don't mean Distracting Attack, do you? Because you specifically can't benefit from that yourself. It's for your allies only.
    You always qualify as your own ally unless the ability specifically says differently. One of the things that's so exploitable about White Raven.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Arena fight where everybody's cut off from spells? The Elusive Target feat is your new best friend. Imagine the look on that ubercharger's face when you declare dodge against him. "The Power Attacks, they do nothing!" It requires a three-feat investment: Dodge-Mobility-Elusive Target.

On the other side of your gestalt, you might want to consider a two-level dip in Monk. I know, I know, Monk sucks. But the second-level bonus feat can be used for Deflect Arrows, in case somebody wants to get cute and be another archer. Stunning Fist and Unarmed Strike means that - in the awful case where somebody disarms you of the bow - you're not completely screwed. Just mostly screwed.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, that's nice, then. It doesn't apply to your first hit each round, but all hits after that at least. With the amount of attacks I should be making, that's a small issue. Looking over the rest of the build then...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    You always qualify as your own ally unless the ability specifically says differently. One of the things that's so exploitable about White Raven.
    Are you sure about that? The feature says "...the enemy is considered flanked by you for the purpose of adjudicating you're allies attacks..." You don't make them flatfooted, you flank them. It might be a bit harder for a DM to accept that you can get sneak attack because you're flanking with yourself.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

At any rate, I don't think I'll be using it. More focus on precision/skirmish damage instead.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2008-12-05 at 09:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Solo Arena?
    Team Arena?
    1v1 or Free For All?

If the arena is big enough (like... infinitely big maybe) here's a fun strategy:
    1. Take the Cragtop Archer prestige class (Races of Stone). This gives sniping related skills. Of special note is that your spot penalties and attack penalties for seeing targets very far away are halved.
    2. Dip two levels totemist and bind the blink shirt to your totem chakra. This allows you to dimension door at will as a move action.
    3. Win initiative with your High Dex, and Dimension Door 400ft away.
    4. Next round attack.
    5. Keep using dimension door whenever the enemy gets too close.

The fun part is that the usual problem with this build (spellcasters with long range spells) are no longer a factor.

Alternatively: Play an arrow demon, and put the racial HD on one side and the LA on the other side of the gestalt. (Check if this is allowed)
    Arrow Demons can wield two bows at once and shoot both as a single attack, etc.(Arrow Demon in MM3)
    Sig'd

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe my idea is not so munchkin, but could be amusing if well played.

Gestalt Fighter // Wilderness Rogue (UA)

Fighter to take whatever is possible to pimp the bow damage, avoid miss chance, disarm and pin with arrows and so on and to find feats useful to improve sniping (like feats and tactical feats in RotW).

Wilderness Rogue to obtain SA, and camouflage + hide in plain sight.

If interested, I could post or PM some feats.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think totemist is allowed, and it's looking like creatures with LA might also not be allowed.

My current build is scout 5/OotBI 9/Thief-Acrobat 1//Barbarian 15. I would like to replace some to most of those barbarian levels with some PrC that has d12 HD and full BaB. I want barbarian to level 6 so I can get the fighting style feats from the alternate class feature, but after that most of his abilities are useless to me.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

My current build is scout 5/OotBI 9/Thief-Acrobat 1//Barbarian 15. I would like to replace some to most of those barbarian levels with some PrC that has d12 HD and full BaB.
    As far as I can tell, there aren't very many of those. Most require that you either: a) be able to rage, b) be able to cast spells, c) be a dwarf, d) be an orc, or e) be a Warforged. The two exceptions I've found, Defender of Sealtiel (BoED) and Infused Warrior (Dragon 321 p.19), are not appropriate to the character.

You might be able to switch some of the Barbarian levels for levels of Knight; but that might be more trouble than it's worth if your character is based around catching the opponent flat-footed.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think totemist is allowed, and it's looking like creatures with LA might also not be allowed.

My current build is scout 5/OotBI 9/Thief-Acrobat 1//Barbarian 15. I would like to replace some to most of those barbarian levels with some PrC that has d12 HD and full BaB. I want barbarian to level 6 so I can get the fighting style feats from the alternate class feature, but after that most of his abilities are useless to me.
    Warblade fits the bill, as long as you only take the maneuvers that work with Ranged weapons(Iron Heart Surge is a must, as is Whiter Raven Tactics).
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    As far as I can tell, there aren't very many of those. Most require that you either: a) be able to rage, b) be able to cast spells, c) be a dwarf, d) be an orc, or e) be a Warforged. The two exceptions I've found, Defender of Sealtiel (BoED) and Infused Warrior (Dragon 321 p.19), are not appropriate to the character.

You might be able to switch some of the Barbarian levels for levels of Knight; but that might be more trouble than it's worth if your character is based around catching the opponent flat-footed.
    Some to Most, not all. Though where you're gonna find a barbarian related class for ranged attacks stumps me.
    Sig'd

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

You may find the old "Home on the Ranged" Gestalt Build Challenge helpful:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74764

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

What feats are you picking up from the alternate rogue class? If they're just the ones that a ranger would get from choosing the ranged discipline, I would ask why you don't just go ranger instead of barbarian and use the standard rogue for sneak attack damage, or scout for skirmish. Or 11 ranger/4 scout//rogue5/OotBI 9/scout 1, as I think rangers get the last really essential ranged feat free at 11 (but I don't have my books with me, so I may not be remembering right) so you get both SA and skirmish.

What type of terrain will this arena have? If there's any type of cover, having hide as a class skill will be significant, especially as non-magical attacks tend to not affect areas. Unload a volley, slip behind a corner, hide so your opponent(s) can't retaliate.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

ok, all in all, I think I'm gunna be looking at a: Barbarian 6/Warblade 9//Scout 5/Thief-Acrobat 1/Order of the Bow Initiate 9. Now, time to look at feats, and also to decide a race. LA +0 for sure, probably an elf or something.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2008-12-05 at 11:50 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, I just realized that OotBI's precision damage only allows me a single attack, not a full-round attack, so it seems pretty much useless to me. Unless there's something I'm missing, I'm gunna go for scout 14/Exotic Weapon Master 1//Ranger 6/Fighter 9, using the variant to get sneak attack with the fighter, since I don't need the other rouge abilities and fighter gets me more BaB and better HP. Since I have hide in plain sight from the scout levels, I just hide and then attack from hiding, which should get me reliable sneak attacks, right? That's 9d6 extra damage on each attack, as long as I move 10 feet and attack from hiding. Exotic Weapon Master is to pick up close combat shot, though I could easily sub it out for something else, especially something that would help me get more sneak attacks.

Edit: Swap those fighter and ranger levels around, so we get fighter starting HP and so EWM gives us better HP, BaB, and saves with the ranger.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2008-12-05 at 09:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Don't forget to get travel devotion from complete champion. Once a day for 10 rounds you can move as a swift action, allowing you to full round and skirmish.
    Sig'd

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jcsw View Post
    Don't forget to get travel devotion from complete champion. Once a day for 10 rounds you can move as a swift action, allowing you to full round and skirmish.
    Or grab the psychic warrior "hustle" power, for a move action as a swift action until your power points run out.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure psychic warrior falls under "magic", so not going for that.