New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Any precautions a DM should take when running a low-magic and/or low-wealth campaign?

The current thread about which classes are more item dependent got me thinking. Any advice, tips, or warnings the pros on here would like to share about running such games in 3.5?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Any precautions a DM should take when running a low-magic and/or low-wealth campa

First, the 2 are not the same. Low-wealth means few items, low magic means you really need another system. The problem with low-wealth is that the CR system(such as it is) is based around the PCs having access to certain things at certain levels. DR/Magic doesn't even come up past level 5 for most games, but in yours those enemies will gain a significant boost. That's the sort of thing you need to worry about(well that and casters being even better, but whatever).
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Any precautions a DM should take when running a low-magic and/or low-wealth campa

When running a low wealth campaign, I try to give my players mediocre starting equipment so that even a nice starting weapon is an upgrade. By limiting the amount of superior items that they run across, your players come to appreciate even the tiniest improvements over their equipment.
    Make your enemies powerful by giving them more levels, hp and better stats. Not by giving them better items to use on the PCs. And if you want to give a magic item to the PCs to entice them, just make sure it only has a couple of charges left.
    That is the best way to manage the power creep imo.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

How do you plan to keep magic low?
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Such changes widen the gap between magic and matrial classes. Unless you are intending to cripple the spellcasting power of wizards and clerics then the lack of magical weapons et all will harm the martail classes a lot more than the spellcasters. Also the CR of most, if not all, monsters with supernatural or spell like abilites, as well as those with flight, will need to go up.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    First, the 2 are not the same. Low-wealth means few items, low magic means you really need another system. The problem with low-wealth is that the CR system(such as it is) is based around the PCs having access to certain things at certain levels. DR/Magic doesn't even come up past level 5 for most games, but in yours those enemies will gain a significant boost. That's the sort of thing you need to worry about(well that and casters being even better, but whatever).
    Well, my current campaign (currently on Hiatus) is both. So I wanted to add both categories separately, so those who need only one or the other for their games can get some help too.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you do low wealth, also do low magic, otherwise, as Sstoopidtallkid said, casters are even better. If you do low wealth, I'd recommend banning all full casters from the game. Bards are questionable, but can probably stay as long as they don't have access to prestige classes like sublime chord.

Just be prepared for the party to not be able to recover quickly unless you compensate for lack of healing magic in some way.

I wouldn't personally recommend a low wealth or low magic game for D&D either way though. There are likely other systems that could do it better, though I know having access to more systems assumes you have money to spend on them, which lots of people (myself included) don't have.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

In a game I'm in now, our wizard doesn't have her spellbook and so is chosing to use her spells very, very wisely. So that might be an option.
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

The problem is that the monsters in D&D are at least nominally balanced with the expectation that the PC's have access to certain spells and effects, either through full casters or through items. If you lower the magic level significantly then you have to go and rebalance the monsters. It can be done but it's time consuming and difficult if you don't have an eye for it (some people can just look at the monster and tell whether or not it's a good challenge for their players, some can't).
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If you do a low-wealth campaign, mages become even more Godly.
    And how low-magic are you talking? Limited spells a day? No full casters?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    The problem is that the monsters in D&D are at least nominally balanced with the expectation that the PC's have access to certain spells and effects, either through full casters or through items. If you lower the magic level significantly then you have to go and rebalance the monsters. It can be done but it's time consuming and difficult if you don't have an eye for it (some people can just look at the monster and tell whether or not it's a good challenge for their players, some can't).
    I wouldn't say they need be rebalanced, except in rare cases such as the Tarrasque. Even then, you could turn defeating it into an epic quest in which you first need to find the legendary scroll of wish before you have a hope of defeating the monster.

For most monsters though, just keep in mind that any monster with access to magic is more of a challenge for a party without casters, and a few simply aren't appropriate encounters at all. As you said, this does require an eye for whether a given encounter is appropriate and CR becomes unreliable. This also happens when you reduce wealth as well though.

12. - Top - End - #12

Having monsters with DR 5/Magic when they have no magic is probably okay. They just need to be very creative, or whittle the monster down, employing Power Attack and similar things that normally might not be the best choices, etc.
    But you cannot throw the full number of such creatures at the party. If you fool with the wealth or the magic you need to reconsider all the CR values of your monsters. And it's not just an issue of dividing CR by some number. Often a monster will have abilities that make it a killer in low-magic, while a monster of similar CR doesn't have those abilities but it's tougher in other ways. Overall though the first would kill everyone while the second would just be a solid challenge.
    3E is a house of cards. If you want a low magic feel run a different system. I've heard Iron Heroes is a good low magic alternative but it seems like they just replace "magic" with "special ability" so everyone still does fun and astounding things but it's "not magic". Might make sense to you.

In 2E Lankhmar had an interesting way of dealing with it. Wizards were called Black Wizards and they became more Evil and twisted as they gained levels. Level 6 was about your limit. But Clerics were called White Wizards and they had no such penalty. This was back in the day when Clerics were support characters and were just inching tentatively into the holy fire combat tanks they have come to be. So letting people play Clerics meant there wasn't much in the way of big blasting going on. And people typically just didn't play Wizards.

It's a strange choice, but you could use Shadowrun. Minus the guns, cyberware, and setting - just use the basic rule system. And then make all the magic skills and spells cost twice to three times as much Karma to learn, including in character generation (the maximum rating for magic stuff would be 2 at chargen instead of 6 for everything else).
    Using Shadowrun like this results in a kind of stripped-down game. You can replace the lowest values of cyber and tech with low-tech equivalents if you felt the need.
    But it would do a better job of representing your idea than 3E (or even 2E) and it wouldn't require a whole lot of balancing to fix everything.

Actually now that I think about it, many systems where your character is the sum of his skills rather than a level system would be a better choice, because in a class/level game each character is a package. In a peicemeal system people can choose to take the expensive magic skills or just take nonmagic skills, and they generally end up as still-viable characters. Of course you can always screw yourself over. But you have to actually do a bunch of work to ruin your character, not just pick a class.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by newbDM View Post
    The current thread about which classes are more item dependent got me thinking. Any advice, tips, or warnings the pros on here would like to share about running such games in 3.5?
    This one's probably obvious, but make sure your players know that it's going to be a low-wealth or low-magic campaign before they start building their characters.

14. - Top - End - #14

Low wealth games can work well in one of two ways:

1. You (the DM) are good at gauging PC ability, tweaking CRs and throwing only monsters that your PCs can handle without magical bling. The only problem is that PCs become much better at offense than defense (ever notice how 90% of PC AC comes from magical bling?), so combats become more dangerous and more and more like Russian roulette the higher level the game gets.
    2. You give the PCs access to all the basic bonuses that the CR system assumes that they will have, by other means. (Stat boosts, AC boosts, weapon boosts, etc...) Check out my Tome of House Rules for details. It's called Character Points, and it's in chapter 12.

TS
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2008-12-05 at 02:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a Lord of the Rings RPG out there, and considering that magic and magic items are viirtually nonexistant, it should be pretty much perfect for you.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately I still haven't completed my chart of +X bonuses to give players to replace gear. But the basic idea is you figure out what kind of gear they would have, figure out the cost of that, and subtract it from their WBL. You give them the bonuses for free as they level, and the remaining WBL becomes treasure. The idea here is to keep the same balance as a normal-wealth campaign.

Like I said, I haven't had a chance to finish it, but I can PM you my incomplete notes if you're interested.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Like I said, I haven't had a chance to finish it, but I can PM you my incomplete notes if you're interested.
    My Tome of House Rules might help you too.

TS

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm going to toss my hat in for keeping the CRs low.

I played in a game that was low wealth, and it was miserable. Our characters had to take up part-time jobs just to pay for food and lodging. When half the world is stronger than you and you have to work like a freaking commoner, you lose the heroic feel that gets people playing D&D in the first place.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying be careful about how you do it.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mechanically, the character's plus to hit will rise significantly faster than their armor class. That can get messy.
    You have no means of even perceiving the real world, much less reacting to it in a way that will allow you to survive in these horrible deadly games that everyone else plays. So what do you do? You convince them that there's some vast cosmic force on your side, and convince them that this is what makes you crazy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

If you really want to stay in D20, I suggest Iron Heroes.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by quillbreaker View Post
    Mechanically, the character's plus to hit will rise significantly faster than their armor class. That can get messy.
    Makes Dwarven Defenders, Barbarians, and other classes or items that provide DR more appealing.

Also, if casters are still around, a wizard or sorcerer with a dex of 10 can cast mage armor + shield + cat's grace + alter self to end up with an AC of 26. Which will keep casters quite happy before even getting into spells like mirror image and greater invisibility.

I imagine this setting, if casters are still available, will see most melee types doing abjurant champions for the AC. Besides which, in a low wealth/low magic setting, adding a little magic to the fighter never hurt anyone.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

If you are serious about doing this then I recomend you look at options for giving Armor inate DR#/-. Unearthed arcana had this option and it might work if you doubled the amount listed(Full plate is then worth about 8 DR) and then allowed magic or elemental damage not to auto bypass it.

High damage monsters, cats(lions, tigers, ect) Dragons, giants, any monster with multiattack and 3 or more natural attacks will be an issue without such measures. Also monsters should never use power attack against PCs

Also for healing I recomend you provide "Alchemical" healing in the form of lots of low lvl potions(Think Diablo). Make them cheep and available.
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Monk/Tattooed Monk with Vow of Poverty will be somewhat of a powerhouse in such a setting.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    If you really want to stay in D20, I suggest Iron Heroes.
    Just want to say that this is definitely one solution.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

25. - Top - End - #25

Well, I do not want to take away magic and magic items(actually, make them more "epic" and legendary things, but still), along with potions and other healing options I find too convenient just to add in another substitute mechanic that does the exact same thing. It seems to defeat the purpose for me.

I agree with adjusting CRs and not including certain monsters, though. I tried my best at that, and since I basically took away all casters except for adepts I tried to focus encounters on a more troops vs. troops way. I also tried my best to involve the players in more thinking, diplomatic, and political situations instead of mere combat, but that was for the players to decide where they wanted to go with things (I am trying to run a sandbox game world).

I would prefer to leave the game as is, especially since I have so many 3.5 books and products, and because I have spent so much time learning the system and mechanics, but give it the feel I am going for. Again, give it a more "epic" and legendary feel. I like the idea of running a campaign world where you can't get a +1 sword of whatever at every village's local store, but instead such things are quest items akin to King Author tracking down his swords, or Link finding the Master Sword.

I guess I just prefer the idea of scaling things down, than redoing everything (including the mechanics) from the ground up. Plus, I guess I am just into this sort of play. I loved Ragnarok online (those who have played it might get the connection), and I liked it so much that I detested the idea of playing in servers with upped stats/speeds. Again a hard comparison to explain, but I think those who have played it might understand.

Plus, the whole potion thing especially got to me. I would just play video games RPGs for that, and always keep 99 in stock.
    Last edited by newbDM; 2008-12-06 at 06:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Then look at speeding up the rate of natural healing then.

I recomend 3 point per lvl per Day of rest and 6 points with total bed rest and a heal check.

That should get most back on their feet in a day or two.
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Perhaps you should look if you can get your hands on a copy of "the dark eye".
    the best RPG i know.
    Its number one here in Germany.
    They don't publish it in english anymore cause it didn't sold so good, but perhaps you can get a cheap copy of it. (or learn German)
    Magic is more limited (the emperor of the largest Realm owns a +2 sword in DnD terms)
    But mages are also a vaild class, they only don't show up as Npc because there are not that many Mages Guilds.
    Last edited by Gerion; 2008-12-06 at 08:04 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Liked Redcloak before it was cool.

Two sides of the sword
    You may think it's nothing but agony
    When you feel the hate
    It is the hand that carries the blade

(I'm not a nativ speaker so if you find a mispelled word just keep it ;) )

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Hida Reju View Post
    Then look at speeding up the rate of natural healing then.

I recomend 3 point per lvl per Day of rest and 6 points with total bed rest and a heal check.

That should get most back on their feet in a day or two.
    That.....is absolutely brilliant!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Dont know if its been said but watch out for VoP.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I also strongly suggest getting BAB one level lower than yours to AC as well, just to represent blocking and such so that AC doesn't fall way to far behind. Meaning that armor needs to be represented differently(maybe DR).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.