New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Can drows be good?

I ask because they are supposed to be evil but their Monster Manual entry says "Usually evil" so they dont have to be evil right?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can drows be good?

Please, dear lord, no more good drow!
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yes. Any race that says "Usually X" can be any alignment. You could have an order of Hobgoblin Paladins.

Although, you then run into the Drizzt Clone Problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Froogleyboy View Post
    I ask because they are supposed to be evil but their Monster Manual entry says "Usually evil" so they dont have to be evil right?
    Yes, but only if you can avoid the Drizzt problem.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Me and the guys at the store i play at have been screaming at eachother for 3 hours now I brought up the MM and they brought up Drow of the underdark

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes, drow can be good; no, they're not likely to be; and if you're dealing with people willing to spend three hours in a screaming match over the issue, the correct answer doesn't particularly matter and you should walk/run away regardless.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Well they said a good drow would be hunted down by an elite group called the "Kinslayers" and slaughterd

8. - Top - End - #8

They Can be good, though it doesn't mean you should try to play one.

Though trying to play one might seem like playing off as a Drizzt clone. Even if it wasn't your intention, you will almost always be accused of playing one if you do play a good aligned drow.

And if you can't get the point through to them, calmly explain that it is entirely possible for a succubus paladin to be made through the BoED. That should end the shouting.

If they still are screaming, don't scream back. It just escalates the matters.

9. - Top - End - #9

DruidGuy

There's somewhere in the MM where it explicitly says that usually, and even always, just mean 'the majority of'. I know it's in there, just not what page.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

we scream over everything at the store. the screamin' aint a big deal. It seems to be a touchy subject

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that any setting-specific information regarding that will trump the usual rules, too, right?
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

12. - Top - End - #12

Well they said a good drow would be hunted down by an elite group called the "Kinslayers" and slaughterd
    I don't know about the specifics of that, but certainly it's extremely implausible to have a good-aligned Drow hanging out with other Drow in a Drow city doing Drow things without a problem. Drow society is thoroughly evil and doesn't like having good members any more than they want to participate in it.

This does not mean you can't have a good-aligned Drow, it just means that being good-aligned will have an impact on the character's past and development.

The archetypal good Drow is Drizzt, who lives as an exile and counts his home city among his mortal enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalsneerg View Post
    There's somewhere in the MM where it explicitly says that usually, and even always, just mean 'the majority of'. I know it's in there, just not what page.
    It's in the glossary - page 305.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley_ View Post
    Though trying to play one might seem like playing off as a Drizzt clone. Even if it wasn't your intention, you will almost always be accused of playing one if you do play a good aligned drow.
    I don't know why people still endorse this conception that every good drow must be a drizzt clone. You see it all over the place in these forums. Its really kinda sad.

Just because someone wants to play a good drow doesn't mean they want to be exactly like drizzt. Its really quite silly that people think of it so negatively.
    Last edited by Myatar_Panwar; 2008-12-06 at 07:44 PM.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Me and the guys at the store i play at have been screaming at eachother for 3 hours now I brought up the MM and they brought up Drow of the underdark
    Drow of the Underdark in no way contradicts this. Canonically, there are plenty of Neutral and Good drow. In Faerûn, for instance, there are small groups or clans of Eilistraee-worshipping Good drow - Eilistraee being the Good-aligned deity of renegade Good drow and dancing naked in the moonlight with a sword, or something.

The guys at the store are clearly stupid.

Good drow have a pretty impossible time existing within drow society (although at least drow priestesses no longer get detect good as a spell-like ability; unless they take some feats, anyway; I think it's now a domain spell though?), which is why they tend to flee to the surface to form their own communities, or else join non-drow Underdark societies that accommodate more alignments, like Skullport.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley_ View Post
    They Can be good, though it doesn't mean you should try to play one.
    This is a stupid meme and should end. Playing Good-aligned drow is just fine. Clones of prominent fictional characters are bad and annoying no matter what character they're clones of - Drizzt, Sephiroth, Norman Bates, Vic Mackey, Master Chief, whatever.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically, even fiends can be good. They're not likely to, but it's possible.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Technically, even fiends can be good. They're not likely to, but it's possible.
    WotC even stated up a LG Paladin Demon (succubus).

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Myatar_Panwar View Post
    I don't know why people still endorse this conception that every good drow must be a drizzt clone. You see it all over the place in these forums. Its really kinda sad.

Just because someone wants to play a good drow doesn't mean they want to be exactly like drizzt. Its really quite silly that people think of it so negatively.
    The post you quote is not saying "every good drow is a Drizzt clone". It's saying "every good drow is likely to be accused of being a Drizzt clone by other players. Take pains to avoid this criticism."

Now, this advice is flawed in two respects: it seems clear that neither the OP nor his friends have even heard of Drizzt, and at the same time it's not obviously good to go out of your way to avoid an unfair accusation rather than just saying "no, it's not a Drizzt clone, as will be clear if you just let me get on with playing it". But nor is your criticism of the advice fair.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    WotC even stated up a LG Paladin Demon (succubus).
    More importantly, AD&D's Planescape had alignment-switched tanar'ri, baatezu, and celestials. (Although I think they mostly retained their Lawful-Chaotic axis alignment, which was the more significant one, in Planescape.)

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    The post you quote is not saying "every good drow is a Drizzt clone". It's saying "every good drow is likely to be accused of being a Drizzt clone by other players. Take pains to avoid this criticism."
    Sounds like a great way to get a stilted, unnatural character. "Oh, no way can he be a ranger, or a TWF rogue/fighter! He'd be a Drizzt clone then!" If you build a character around trying to avoid other people's prejudice toward the most fundamental aspects ("good" and "drow"), you're going to limit yourself for absolutely no reason.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    If you build a character around trying to avoid other people's prejudice toward the most fundamental aspects ("good" and "drow"), you're going to limit yourself for absolutely no reason.
    Well, yes. I said that myself, more or less.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Flumph

Good drow aren't always Drizzt clones.

They usually are.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Oh, I wasn't using the quote as the reason of my ire or anything. Rather I was quoting it in more of a QFT fasion. He said that most good drow are going to be accused of being a Drizzit clone, which I sadly agree with.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Myatar_Panwar; 2008-12-06 at 09:29 PM.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The only problem I have with characters who aren't of the usual alignment is that there's nothing preventing players from taking them. I realize that they should be allowed to play the character they want. In fact, playing an atypical character can be interesting. However, when everyone does it, it becomes typical, and one wonders whether "Usually X" actually means anything. There are a few things people don't seem to play, though. Chaotic Dwarves, for example, don't seem to be clichéd yet. It's interesting.

Either way, I prefer characters who tend to stick to the tried and true methods, including alignments. This, however, implies a lawful alignment. So is it actually lawful to play a chaotic character from a usually chaotic race? It's like, a paradox.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Nope, there have never been any good drow. Ever.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I have nothing more to add other than to point out that the plural of "Drow" is still "Drow."

One Drow.
    Two Drow.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. That's why good drows don't live in the underdark, and often escape to the daylight. To avoid being killed.
    They are like the "evil" people in predominantly neutral/good creatures: Rare, and often hunted down.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Don't be good, play a True Neutral Drow who honestly doens't care and /part the #underdark because relentless backstabbing and powermongering wasn't his thing.

But yes, Drow can be good and not be labelled a Drizzt. You'll get those jokes though, but hey, laugh it off.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I have nothing more to add other than to point out that the plural of "Drow" is still "Drow."

One Drow.
    Two Drow.
    Red Drow.
    Blue Drow.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Red Drow.
    Blue Drow.
    I lol'd at this.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

The point is, DON'T TRY IT!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

When in doubt, there's always the Helm of Opposite Alignment.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.