New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Shippingitp IV: Flattery Will Get You EVERYWHERE

And now, good sirs and ladies of the thread I present you with what has come before in:

Definition drabble

Outraged
    Accentuate
    Domicile
    Alienist
    Prolix
    Dragoon
    Ineffable
    Golem
    Jurisprudence
    Definition - by Helgraf
    LotharioExculpate
    Touchstone
    Prelapsarian
    Remora
    Kickshaw
    Bifurcate
    Simulacrum
    Undulant
    Wisenheimer

And the latest

Definition drabble

Conciliatory - tending to win over from a state of hostility or distrust : intended to gain the goodwill or favor of someone
    Spoiler
    Show

And she remembered.

Mama laughing while she and Bunny played.
    Stern-faced Mama lecturing them after a stupid fight had blown itself out of proportion.
    Mama soothing her after the nightmare came back, drowning her dreams in blood.
    Mama. Coughing up blood.

Memories . . . flashing back and forth across the mind of what had been Turtle. Blank eyes stared as her once-sister lay dying. Kneeling down she caressed her sisters’ hair and said "Thank you." And then she stood and walked away from the hallowed clearing. Her step was eerily mechanical and silent.
    RHL lay gasping and gurgling in the absorbing silence.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-01-01 at 01:25 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

Sheesh, can't you let the poor guy enjoy life for a while before you shove the stick back up his backside?

Anyhoo, I had this ready more than three hours ago, but I hate it when the last post on a page is a ship because it tends to get missed. So everyone go back and read Reinholdt's.

And now for your feature presentation:

To Glimpse the Future
    Starring - RHL and Ego
    Spoiler
    Show
    Focus.

Ego’s hands rested atop hers. Even though by now they had been together long enough that she knew that Ego meant nothing suggestive in the touch, Rabbit blushed a little. The crystal ball remained murky. “I can’t do it.

Divination is one of the most difficult things to master in the Art. Be patient.” Ego had been trying to teach Rabbit the secrets of divination for more than two weeks. She had done everything she could think of. The crystal ball, tea dregs… Rabbit couldn’t seem to catch the subtleties. Ego was ready to give up, but Rabbit wanted to learn, and wanted to learn this specifically. “We should rest for a bit and come back to this. Let’s get something to eat and relax. We’ll start back in an hour.” She didn’t believe it would make any difference.

Rabbit sighed and nodded, raising her gaze from the ball. She saw the look on Ego’s face, and took one of the other woman’s hands between her own as she stood, bringing it to her lips. “You’re a wonderful teacher. I’m sure I’ll get it soon.

Ego smiled warmly. The dark, hungry, predatory look had disappeared from her eye so long ago that Rabbit wasn’t sure it had ever been there in the first place. Rabbit kissed her hand. “I’ll find us something outside.

Ego nodded and headed toward the kitchen as Rabbit pulled her boots on and went outside. The doors were second nature to her now. She wandered through the forest, feeling frustrated. She makes it look so easy. Why can’t I do it? A quail, disturbed by her tread, burst from the ground and took wing. She lashed out with her power, with more force than she had intended. The bird was torn apart. Feathers and blood scattered and dropped. Rabbit cursed and approached the carcass to see if there was anything salvageable. She knelt over the corpse and froze.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ego had been waiting for over an hour. Rabbit was always quick to return with something when she went hunting. Growing worried, she pulled her boots on and went outside to search. Expanding her senses, she felt the familiar pulse of Rabbit and hurried through the woods.

She found Rabbit poking through the entrails of a very dead quail. “It’s so clear to me now…” She brushed a piece of intestine aside with a bloody finger. “I see my sister, and a man in shining armor, maybe a paladin, coming for me. Someone that looks like a noble dying at the hand of someone that appears to be his son…

Ego was dumbfounded. “I saw the nobleman and his son in the crystal ball when we were practicing inside…” She sat down heavily. For a moment there was total silence around them. Finally, Ego shook her head. “Clean that up. We’ll try the tea again when we get back to the house.

For the first time since she had crouched over the dead bird, Rabbit looked and really saw what she had done. A wave of disgust brought her down to her knees. “Can we fix it?

There’s not enough meat on the bones for a meal. I’ll make some cakes for us. Just gather the remains and bury them, and come back when you’re done.” Ego stood and hurried to the house. Such a breakthrough! It’s amazing! She pulled honey and flour from the shelves. We’ll have something to celebrate tonight. A smile spread across her face as she baked.

Rabbit, meanwhile, stood slowly, staring at the mess in the forest. A gesture brought all the pieces of the quail that she could see together. Her eyes blazed. The corpse glowed as it fused itself into one piece. Intact, though still missing a number of feathers that had blown away in the wind, but still lifeless on the forest floor. The visible spots of flesh were splotchy, already beginning to decay. Power flared around Rabbit as she commanded the bird to live.

It stirred. It stumbled to its feet, then fell to the ground again as one of its legs gave way beneath it. With laboriously beating wings, the bird rose slowly into the air. The leg that had failed remained behind. Rabbit stared at it in horror, then blasted the thing into oblivion. She ran to the house. She arrived as Ego pulled the hot honeycakes from the oven.

One look at Rabbit’s face was all Ego needed. Rather than spending the night in celebration, they huddled together, Ego stroking Rabbit’s back comfortingly.
    Last edited by mangosta71; 2008-12-22 at 04:30 PM.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

Did I seriously just post a ship at the bottom of a page, right before someone else's ship?

@ Curly- Well done. Poor Rabbit.
    Lousy people all seem to have to die or near die to prove a point.

....... Even my complaint was ninja'd. *goes to lie down*

@ Mangosta- Another well done one, and tying together nicely as well. I do like your work. Even if I am wary of Ego...
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2008-12-22 at 04:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent job, Reinholdt and Curly.

Rein, you are more than capable of writing yourself. You are an excellent Ship-fic writer.

Curly, I am amazed you can pack so much meaning into such a short format. If only I could do the same... imagine how much better my long fiction would be!

Edit: Double ninja'd!!!! Mangosta! Great work!
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-12-22 at 04:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Ninja'd by Koorli. Another great ship, hun. And I'm sure that there's someone willing to stand under the mistletoe with ya.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

Offer (Redemption part 3)
    Mordokai/Happyturtle

Spoiler
    Show
    The next few weeks passed uneventfully. Mordokai spent his days making plans for a war of conquest, and his nights in Turtle's arms. She could see that he was growing content in his new life. That had not been part of her plan. She had never intended to be a 'reward' for falling, but she feared that he saw her that way.

But the honeymoon-like interlude came to an end. The plans were ready. The troops were mustered. Mordokai would be leaving tomorrow to go to war.

The night before, as they lay in bed facing one another, exhausted and satisfied, he traced one finger along her jawline. "I mean to take you with me tomorrow," he said.

"As you command, my Lord," she said, with a sleepy smile.

He took hold of her chain and wrapped it a few times around his hand before using it to drag her close for a kiss. "Without the chains. I'm making you my concubine. You'll have your own quarters, your own servants. No responsibilities other than attending me."

Turtle blinked. Then pulled away from him.

"No."

Since he'd fallen, Mordokai had not heard that word addressed to him very often, and never by the woman in his bed.

"No?"
    he repeated in displeasure. "Explain yourself."

"No, I won't be your concubine," she said.

"I order it."

"I refuse."

"You have no right of refusal."

"Then punish me," she said indifferently. "Or force the silks and jewels on me, drag me out in public, and give me orders. But it would be rather embarrassing for you when I refuse to cooperate."

He stared at her for a moment in fury, and then his face relaxed into a smirk. "Little vixen. Always greedy for more, aren't you. Do you expect me to make you my consort? It would be a huge upgrade in rank for a battlescarred barbarian."

"Do you think that's what I want?"

He laughed. "I think being around me has given you a taste for power. Very well. You will be my consort. The marriage announcements will go out tomorrow."

"No."

He sat up, and dragged her up as well. "What sort of game are you playing?"

"I didn't come here for your land or your titles or your power, Blackguard."

He took her chin in his hand and ran his thumb over her lips, which parted at his touch. He didn't understand her. How she could offer herself to him so willingly whenever he reached for her, and still refuse to become his wife.

Suddenly angry, he shoved her off the bed. She rolled with the fall, her combat reflexes taking over, reminding him of how dangerous she could be. How many times over the last few weeks he'd let down his guard around her.

"You would refuse the most valuable gift I can offer? Why?"

She scrambled to her feet, with blazing eyes, lifting the chains in front of her. "This. This is all you'll ever have of me, as long as you're on this path. I won't be your partner. I won't help you damn yourself."

He looked at her coolly. "Last chance. Take the offer before I become displeased."

When she didn't respond, he sent for his guards. "I want this one out of my sight. And bring me a new companion. Someone thin and fair, with an unblemished body." In other words, someone as unlike Turtle as he could get.

He was infuriated that her anger had faded, replaced by that damned serenity that he couldn't find a way to break through. One of the guards had had pity enough to wrap a blanket around her. Otherwise, she'd have been dragged through the corridors naked, and still with that enigmatic half smile, as if she were somehow in control.

"Goodbye, my Lord," she said. And she was gone. Leaving him alone.

Mordokai's Redemption series so far
    Sacrifice by Happyturtle
    A Favor Returned by Reinholdt
    Offer by Happyturtle

Mordokai was a looong time falling, and his journey back to the light should take just as long. So if you add to this series, please keep that in mind. Thanks.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

7. - Top - End - #787
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Mordokai/Happyturtle

Spoiler
    Show
    A really good story

Sacrifice by Happyturtle
    Offer by Happyturtle

Mordokai was a looong time falling, and his journey back to the light should take just as long. So if you add to this series, please keep that in mind. Thanks.
    And another epic series develops... great from both of you. The tension about Mordys faith is growing.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

Mordokai/Happyturtle

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

Sacrifice by Happyturtle
    Offer by Happyturtle

Lovely. I would love to add to this series, but am always afraid to ruin things when it comes to these collabs...

But I already told you how much I approve of this, so there is no need to go further. Great work!

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Wow. I go out to shovel snow and when I get back a bunch of great ships have popped up. Keep up the good work, you guys. Oh, and if anyone wants to toss Destro in to the Mordy's Redemption series, or any other series for that matter, feel free to do so. I'd do it myself, but I don't want to mess up any story anyone is planning.

On that note, here's the second of the two ideas I had during that party where I got really drunk. This one isn't creepy though, and was triggered by something other than random drunken musings. Again, kinda short though.

Dance with Death
    Destro/RHL
    Spoiler
    Show
    Always before, Destro had gone to her. It had been his initiative, all those times. Really, it still was. But this time, it was her turn to go somewhere. Last night, he had mentioned that he was planning something. He didn't say what it was, but he had asked that she meet him in the great hall at 5 o'clock the next evening.

It was approaching five now, and she was almost there. She hadn't seen him all day, and that worried her a little. For the past little while he had come up to see her every day, the visits becoming more and more frequent. But today there was nothing.

Rabbit pushed open the doors to the hall. It was empty. Dark. Where was he? Somewhere, a clock struck five.

bong. Torches flared up around the hall, casting light around the huge empty space.

bong. The tables had all been pushed to the side, clearing space in the middle of the room.

bong. Footsteps came from the far end of the hall. Destro opened the far door, stepping out into the hall and walking towards her.

bong. Hello, Rabbit. The lich smiled as he neared her. Right on time as always.

bong. The clock fell silent, and Destro extended a hand towards her. She took it, still not quite sure why they were here. Music started playing in the background, soft and slow, coming from everywhere at once.

My lady, said the lich, being proper again for the first time in a while. May I have this dance? She nodded and he led her out into the center of the floor.

You did all this. Just for me, or did you invite anyone else?

Just for you. The lich put an arm around her waist, not letting go of her other hand. This is supposed to be our night, and I wouldn't want anyone else around to get in the way of things.

I wouldn't either. They spun slowly on the dance floor, as the music played. It wasn't a song Rabbit had ever heard before, but it was good.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

10. - Top - End - #790

Shadowland

Moon Called
    Spoiler
    Show

Wolfbane layed at Moon Called's feet, tied and gagged. Fortunatly for him, he was unconcious, Moon Called using her large blade to knock the poor paladin out.

Vespe lay on the ground, Moon Called giving him herbs to ease the pain and keep him asleep. HE lost alot of blood that day, and Vespe may annoy Moon Called alot, but she wasn't about to let amother comrade die.

Moon Called took her whetstone to her blade, staring at the rich orange fire, the star filled sky giving all the light she needed to keep watch. A tear ran down her side as she stared at the paladin. With one slice, she could avenge her brother......

No. That vampire was paying good money. Her brother wan't her to make something of herself, before his murder....

Moon Called recalled her childhood, the other villagers throwing sticks and stones at her, mocking her. Helf-breed they called her. Nothing good could come fromher they said. Bushranger was the only one who cared for her, who took her in. Only to be found dead in the streets.

Damn you Wolfbane. I'm going to make sure that vampire makes you suffer.

She would have gone on, but she some a green light in the woods. Floating there was her brother, dressed in his mercenary gear, just like when he was teaching her.

Brother....I found him. I found who killed you. He'll suffer, I promise.

Bushranger stayed silent, a frown on his face.

Speak to me brother!I found him!

Bushranger started to fade away.

Brother....

Moon Called fell to her knees, weeping silently.

You'll pay, Wolfbane.

This one takes place after the previous battle, what do you think?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Happy- Geez. We seem to be messing more with him now than before.
    Maybe it just changed who was messing with his head and how.
    Well written.

@ Destro- Aww, how sweet. (we need more sweet fics around here)

@ Saint Nil- Very good. Bushranger, you're supposed to speak when you have a message, not disappear!

As for the collaboration, well Happy started it, so I'll let her make any final decisions. I'm pretty sure we could use one or two more people to help (if she doesn't want to just make it a free-for-all).

Anyone who wants to be in it should probably consider giving a general idea on where they want to stand in the story. Such as:
    Redeemer
    Neutral
    Mordokai's camp
    Other evil
    Something like that. I know it would help me get ideas.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

12. - Top - End - #792

Redeemer please!!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Well written.

@ Saint Nil- Very good. Bushranger, you're supposed to speak when you have a message, not disappear!

As for the collaboration, well Happy started it, so I'll let her make any final decisions. I'm pretty sure we could use one or two more people to help (if she doesn't want to just make it a free-for-all).

Anyone who wants to be in it should probably consider giving a general idea on where they want to stand in the story. Such as:
    Redeemer
    Neutral
    Mordokai's camp
    Other evil
    Here Rein, I'll do another sweet one tonight, alright?
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Here Rein, I'll do another sweet one tonight, alright?
    Sounds good to me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

I think I'd be in Mordokai's camp (as long as he remains evil) or other evil. If anyone wants to write in a cold, bitter assassin type person.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #796

We are we who are.

Do we redeem, do we condemn? Whence do we go and whom do we lead?

A madman redeemer, who whispers in dreams, who hangs like a ghost just outside of reach, ever ever speaking.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be a neutral party, at least to start. Destro is good for adding silly, and would probably prefer if Mordokai was redeemed, but unless someone directly annoys him, he won't pick sides.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

Well written.

Redeemer
    Neutral
    Mordokai's camp
    Other evil
    I have exactly one more instalment planned which I hope to post tonight. And it won't resolve anything. So there's nothing to mess up. Really folks, don't be askeered! There's no overarching story arc or anything.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

I have exactly one more instalment planned which I hope to post tonight. And it won't resolve anything. So there's nothing to mess up. Really folks, don't be askeered! There's no overarching story arc or anything.
    Might as well back up what she said. It takes me a while to get ideas I want to actually write about, so don't expect anything from me any time soon.

I just wanted to set up my character so others could use it, mostly.

I will be keeping some notes around of the different characters and events.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2008-12-23 at 02:03 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

Redeemer
    Neutral
    Mordokai's camp
    Other evil
    Hm. Well, for my part, Ghost (as in IStLY-Ghost) would probably see the whole ordeal as vaguely interesting but probably wouldn't get involved unless the right circumstances came about. He actually kind of enjoys maintaining the status quo to an extent - maybe help Mordy stay good when he's good, help him stay evil when he's evil; and make snarky comments all around.

As for Pickman; he'd probably be like "lolwut? wutev4r" and then go make origami figurines of good Mordy and bad Mordy and make them fight.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

Someone needs to write the Flora/Rabbit bit too.

Just don't do anything with Turtle until I write the next part (should be posted tonight), as there's a reveal needed, but everything else in the story is fair game.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

A short peek into what's up with the dryad and Rabbit.
    Part of Happy's Mordokai's Redemption series, I s'pose.

Vitreous
    RHL/ Flora
    Spoiler
    Show

Rabbit and the dryad simply poofed into the necromancer's cold Glass Citadel, the tree nymph shaking and shuddering as Rabbit held her close, stroking her hair in an attempt to cease her crying.
    "Shhh, Flora, it'll all be okay." Flora feebly attempted to pull herself from the other woman's arms, but only succeeding in falling to her knees, her sobs increasing in volume and requency.
    "B-b-but you..you're you!" As Rabbit reached out for the dryad again, Flora hit her hands away.
    "I know, Flora." Rabbit's voice became somber, and she dropped down across from the dryad. "I know, you don't trust me, and you're confused and hurting."
    "You don't know anything!" She lashed out, screams echoing around the vitric halls. "You've never loved like I have, you're cold and unfeeling! Nobody has ever completely broken you as he has me! You don't know anything!" Rabbit's face darkened, and she lifted a hand viciously, brought it down quickly...
    Flora cringed..
    And Rabbit cursed as she hit the floor besides her, loudly.
    "Don't you ever tell me I've never loved, you weak little girl. Don't you ever!" Rabbit had half-stood during her outburst, and looked down on the dryad, who's eyes were wide with terror and fear as the necromancer gasped for breath, slowly, slowly calming herself.
    "There's a room down the hall. It should have everything you need, and you'll find your tree potted by the bed." Abruptly, Rabbit turned on her heels, her boots clacking along the glass floors as she stomped away.
    The dryad could almost swear she had heard the necromancer whisper "I loved him, too." as she disappeared down a corridor, and her dark flesh prickled into goosebumps.
    What was she to do now?

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

Beautiful.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm waiting for your part to be finished before I do anything with Jon.

Edit: @V: And that would be why!
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-12-23 at 08:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Troll in the Playground

Chains (Redemption series)
    Happyturtle / Jon (Twobitwriter)

Spoiler
    Show
    Despite the scary sounding word 'dungeon', the cell that Turtle was taken to was clean and dry with plain, utilitarian furnishings. Mordokai had previously treated his prisoners humanely, and his change in outlook had not yet filtered down to all areas under his authority.

Jon had given her a blanket to cover herself, and now he pointedly turned his back while the prisoner dressed herself in coarse, plain clothing. The other guard was apparantly less chivalrous. After making a lewd suggestion or two, which were rebuffed by the lady, Jon heard a sickening crunch and a scream. He turned to see the man lying on the ground clutching his knee.

"I told him hands off," Turtle said. "Are you planning on trying anything?"

"I'm not a fool," Jon said. "Even if I thought I could overpower a barbarian, I'd keep in mind that you could become a favourite again. And if you did, what would happen to anyone who tried to take advantage of you?"

"I wouldn't hold your breath," the injured guard snarled. "The Master is not a forgiving man."

"He used to be," Turtle said quietly.

A healer soon arrived and took the injured man away. As soon as they were alone, Jon stepped close to Turtle.

"Your sister sent me to get you out."

"Rabbit? Is she okay?"

"The last time I saw her, she was safe. But since you hadn't broken out yet, she thought you might need help."

"I haven't broken out yet because I lied to my sister. I'm not leaving until I get what I came for."

In Mordokai's quarters, his new companion arrived, a pretty girl who seemed terrified of saying the wrong thing. She found the Blackguard in full armour. He looked her over appraisingly.

"Yes, you'll do. Can you ride a horse?"

"A l-little, m-my Lord."

"Have a lady's mount reserved for her use, as well as a place in the wagons for when she grows fatigued." He pulled her to him and kissed her roughly. "Prepare for travel. My servants have been ordered to get you anything you request. We leave at dawn."

When Turtle next woke, she was in a tent. She crawled out to find that the sun was going down. Not much time left then. The wilderness around her was familiar. Someone was taking her back towards the Glass Citadel. And her head ached. She saw Jon nearby.

"You drugged me?"

"My orders were to get you out. And since you refused to cooperate... I used too much, I'm afraid. I didn't expect you to eat the entire bowl of that vile stew after being fed from the master's table for so long."

"Soldier's training. Eat everything that's given to you because you never know when the next meal will come."

"I tried to get the chains off. The key wouldn't work."

"No, it wouldn't have."

"And I didn't want to try and break them while you were unconscious in case I hurt you."

"There's no point. They won't break."

"How do you know?"

"Because I put an enchantment on them. The only one who can remove them is me." The manacles opened and fell to the ground, and she rubbed her bruised wrists.

"I don't understand. Being able to release yourself is useful, but why prevent anyone else from doing it?"

"Because these chains aren't for me. They're for Mordokai. And I'm not releasing him until he's been saved." She smiled, and, after doing a few stretches, refastened the manacles. "If he leaves me alone for longer than twenty-four hours, then I'll be transported into his presence, wherever he is. I warned him that he couldn't get rid of me. And he can't. It won't be long now. Give Rabbit my love."

"But... what's to stop him from killing you to break the enchantment?"

Her form started to fade. "Not a damn thing," she said. And then she was gone.

And that's all I have planned for now. The magenta speaking woman and the injured guard can be promoted to PC status or discarded as irrelevant. And Turtle's character can be used by others as long as it's understood that she won't try to hurt Mordokai unless she gets corrupted back to evil. She's not a smite evil type of character. However, she's not infallible, and it's entirely possible Mordokai or someone else could drag her back into darkness. And is okay to kill her too. Enjoy!

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

26. - Top - End - #806
    Firbolg in the Playground

And now, good sirs and ladies of the thread I present you with what has come before in:

Definition drabble

Outraged
    Accentuate
    Domicile
    Alienist
    Prolix
    Dragoon
    Ineffable
    Golem
    Jurisprudence
    Definition - by Helgraf
    Lothario
    Exculpate
    Touchstone
    Prelapsarian
    Remora
    Kickshaw
    Bifurcate
    Simulacrum
    Undulant
    Wisenheimer
    Conciliatory

And the latest

Definition drabble

Videlicet - that is to say
    Spoiler
    Show

As Turtle left Graf rushed to RHL muttering nonsense to himself. "Don’t worry Mi’ir," Mordokai said to his friend, "Graf can fix anything; he fought to save you after I made a mistake."
    "It wasn’t your fault. And neither was this, so don’t go thinking so."
    But he was silent, gazing over at RHL with worry plain in his eyes; Mi’ir felt his heart sink too. But in his lilting voice he said, "Well, Graf’s been very helpful in this trip, saving lives and making illusions. I’ll be sorry to see him go, especially after he’s saved RHLs’ life.""Yeah . . . "

Devil of a word that one. Devil of a word.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-01-01 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Fussy Formatting

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

27. - Top - End - #807
    Troll in the Playground

Watching ('Redemption' fic)
    Mordokai/Pickman (passing references to others)
    Pickman’s Song
    Spoiler
    Show

Creak and clink did the blackguard’s armor; corrupting my chill quiet.

Draping sweet, succulent shadows; our gibbous moon scraped the hillsides.

Mind awash in unwanted questions; so soon switching after thoughts so clear.

He stalked the dark. ‘Must clear my mind,’ thoughts he must been making.

Did not expect, but did not despair, that an unwanted Pickman should watch.

Black is his armor, black is his soul; but not black enough yet to join my bliss.

He sucked in his breath. Saw me he did.

My corpse, my land, my untended grave; unfresh morsels be my feast.

Scraping metal, sword did slide from scabbard.

Oh, challenge and roar, my black-scabbed lion.

But hesitate you did; whose impulse didst thou follow?

Black-heart, pure-heart; barbarian, or witch?

Behind stone of grave leap I did, serve as shield it did.

Should you attack, should you leave?

Should you stay and speak with death’s plaything?

Speak you did not, so rasping sing did I.

I've watched you change
    Into a fly
    I looked away
    You were on fire
    I watched a change
    In you
    It's like you never
    Had wings
    Now you feel
    So Alive

Circle grave and circle stone you will, but keep stone between us I do.

Sweeping sword seeks slicing of my succulent skin; but not today.

Speak on do I.

I've watched you change
    I took you home
    Set you on the glass
    I pulled off your wings
    Then I laughed
    I watched a change
    In you
    It's like you never
    Had wings
    Now you feel
    So alive

Poor stone, poor sword; never enemies afore tonight.

Not nice, not nice at all: the blackguard wants to fight.

Prance away I must; no desire does I for you sword’s bite.

Not the time, not my place, to face the ex-paladin’s might.

I've watched you change
    It's like you never
    Had wings
    I look at the cross
    Then I look away
    Give you the gun
    Blow me away
    I've watched a change
    In you
    It's like you never
    Had wings
    Now you feel
    So Alive

Night’s embrace, I left him with. Better me to flee than fight.

But rattle on did my gore-slicked throat.

Parting words, sung by chill moonlight.

I've watched you change.
    Now you feel Alive
    You Feel Alive
    I've watched you change
    It's like you never
    Had wings

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

GW! That...was... Awesome!

Perfect for Pickman. I wasn't expecting this story to be from his skewed perspective.

Great work!

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Happy- Another good one. But I hoped to help you redeem Mordokai. If you go corrupt, too... I have my work cut out for me it seems.

@ Curly- You fit so much into so little. Good job.

@ GW- I like the unique perspective. Very nice.

Alright. Current summary of characters as I've seen them in Redemption:
    Mordokai-Fallen, off to war.
    Happy-Can't leave Mordokai's side. Wants to redeem, but risks being corrupted or killed.
    Rabbit-Protecting Flora in Citadel. Loves Mordokai.
    Flora-Hiding in Citadel. Horribly abused. Still loves Mordokai?
    Reinholdt-unknown location. Sworn to redeem. Claims to understand Mordokai's position. Being hunted for capture.
    Jon-Heading towards Citadel. Tried to free Happy. Works for Rabbit.
    Pickman-unknown motives, unknown location. Sees change in Mordokai.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

@ GW- I like the unique perspective. Very nice.

Pickman-unknown motives, unknown location. Sees change in Mordokai.
    Glad you liked it; it was a lot of fun to write.

Pickman is currently nomadic, just raiding isolated graves or untended graveyards for tasty tidbits (being mostly ghoul and all). Though he's seen some of the main players around (pre-fall-Mordokai, apparently, and Jon at least otherwise), he doesn't really have a stake in things either way. It was just a chance encounter and some (apparently unwanted) observations. He's not really meant to influence the plot in any direction and truthfully isn't a major character. Think of it as a for-fun-filler-fic.