Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [3.5] Tank builds?

I'm after a Cohort for my Leadership feat as figured the party I'm in could use a Damage Sponge... But I've never played anything but magic users. Yeah, help is required, as I'm really not that great at character building. The character doesn't need to do damage, or be good at anything, just needs to take hits which would otherwise be targeted at our valuble mages. Anything you can suggest would be really appreciated. Oh, any the DM's using the C rule. Core and Complete series only, no other sourcebooks. Thanks in advance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I don't read the first post. Or the title of the thread. Or anything in the thread to be honest. I just post random words and hope it all makes potato.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Tank builds?

Druid. Failing that, Spiked Chain Fighter with Standstill and prolly Improved Trip.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Core cleric. Just have him self-buff and act as a speedbump. Any books outside of Core are just gravy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'll agree that Cleric or Druid would be the way to go. Psychic Warrior would be another decent option of it's SRD-Core.

For a Druid have him get Natural Bond (CV) and one of the Level -3 companions, since that feat will negate the drawback. His pet will be extremely tanky, and so will he when he gets Wild Shape. Make him a Human with Spell Focus: Conjuration and Augment Summoning at level 1 so he can make additional meat-shields. Stay single-classed and get Natural Spell and it's almost impossible for this character to not be useful.

A Cleric should go into Radiant Servant of Pelor if you're good-aligned. Give him the Sun and Healing domains, Improved Turning, Augment Healing, Extra Turning, Divine Shield (CW), and probably Craft Wondrous Item or Craft Arms and Armor, and get the Glory domain from RSoP. He should have some heavy armor/shield and a Lesser Rod of Extend to put Magic Vestment on both. This will be able to tank, Greater Turning-destroy most undead you'll encounter, heal, and basically act as a secondary-everything.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Elan Psion.

Take the:
    1. Improved Elan Repletion Feat (CPsi)
    2. Vigor Power, which he can share with his psicrystal
    3. Damp Power Power (CPsi)
    4. Energy Adaptation Power
    5. Share Pain Power, especially with his Psicrystal to get usage out of the vigors he's been sharing with it
    6. Empathic Transfer Power
    7. Expanded Knowledge into Dimension Swap
    Sig'd

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

My Urgrosh build comes close to your restrictions. Uses one class in Races of Stone that is by no means over powered. Take a looksie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Well, do you guys consider PHB2 "Core enough?" It's basically another "Complete" book anyway, but for everyone instead of one archetype. If it's okay, what about just a normal Human Knight? What you're describing is EXACTLY what they do (challenge foes to attack them instead of the squishier folks).

If it's not allowed, just go with standard Human Spiked Chain Fighter with Power Attack, Stand-Still, Improved Trip, and such.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-12-14 at 12:50 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Your basic problem is that Core+Completes doesn't give you any good way to get enemies to attack one character rather than another. Just making a character with high HP and defense but low attack and damage means the enemies can go after the others who are easier to kill and more of a threat.

Unless you can get the PHB2 and use the Knight's abilities to force enemies to attack him, your best bet is either a tripping build to stop enemies moving past you or a druid (as mentioned) who can put obstacles down between the attacker and target.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Large Fighter(any race) with a Spiked Chain, Improved Trip, Stand Still, and Knockdown. Toss in Improved Initiative and Imp Toughness and you have a sponge.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

what level will this character be?
    signatures are for people who have the same profile pic as someone else

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I like the look of the Urogosh build, but it was because of some twinky tricks with the Deepwarden class that I'm limited to the C's.. Which means I'll just substitute another class. Oh, and the PHBII is fine, as are all the MM's. The character is only up to level 16, as I'm an eighteenth level charrie
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I don't read the first post. Or the title of the thread. Or anything in the thread to be honest. I just post random words and hope it all makes potato.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I've found that one of the most effective ways to make a tank is to put out enough damage that they consider you as much of a threat as the casters. It's tough to pull off, but on the other hand, if they ignore you, they're going to die.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I've found that one of the most effective ways to make a tank is to put out enough damage that they consider you as much of a threat as the casters. It's tough to pull off, but on the other hand, if they ignore you, they're going to die.
    This. Stiky tank is not for D&D 'till 4.0, IMHO.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    This. Stiky tank is not for D&D 'till 4.0, IMHO.
    Well, it is, and requires only the SRD, but it is hard, and somewhat ineffective still.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malacode View Post
    I like the look of the Urogosh build, but it was because of some twinky tricks with the Deepwarden class that I'm limited to the C's.. Which means I'll just substitute another class. Oh, and the PHBII is fine, as are all the MM's. The character is only up to level 16, as I'm an eighteenth level charrie
    If PHB2 is okay and you want to avoid some of the stinkier cheese, I'd say that Knight (Possibly with a couple levels of Fighter thrown in for the feats) is the way to go to achieve what you're describing.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

If you can't use the Wild Shape variant of Ranger from UA then just substitute Druid.

Human, Wild Shape Ranger 5/ Master of Many Forms 7/ War Shaper 4, future levels go MoMF 1/ Ranger 1/ MoMF 2

Feats: Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Track, Endurance, Alertness, Leap Attack, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Knock Down, and at 18 get Defensive Sweep.

Ability Scores: Str 15+, Dex doesn't matter, Con high, Int 13+, Wis priority, Cha doesn't matter.

Items: Monk's Belt, Amulet of Mighty Fists +1, Armbands of Might, Large +1 Spell Storing Glaive, Gloves of Dex +6, Cloak of Resistance, Ring of Protection, 1st level Pearls of Power, etc.

Spells: Rhino's Rush

Combat Forms: War Troll, Cave Troll, with Frozen Wild Shape from Frostburn you'd get Cryohydra...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Make a frenzied beserker. Come on, you know you want to. It'll have boatloads of HP, and by this level deathless frenzy as well.

Barb 1/ftr 2/hex 3/FB 10 (occult slayer 4 if you need 4 more levels after that).

Extra Rage (1st), Intimidating rage (1st), Power Attack (Ftr 1), Cleave (ftr 2), Destructive Rage (level 3), Leap Attack (6th), Improved Crit (9th), Improved Bull Rush (12th), Shock Trooper (15th).

If you can take flaws, it works alot better. Take Shaky and Vulnerable (his AC is going to be negative anyways).

Flaw 1: Improved Bull rush, Flaw 2: Improved Initiative
    Take Mage Slayer as your 12th-level feat instead of ImpBR.

Grab a +6 str belt, a ring of freedom of movement, and have your caster deal with any disables on him, and you have your 'tank'.

18. - Top - End - #18

Ask your DM for the use of Devoted Defender.

It's what you really want. Cleric + Devoted Defender = Unhittable Wall that can protect you. Just make sure they have the travel domain for free "no grapple". Devoted defender being grappled stops them from doing their job.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Medic View Post
    Ask your DM for the use of Devoted Defender.

It's what you really want. Cleric + Devoted Defender = Unhittable Wall that can protect you. Just make sure they have the travel domain for free "no grapple". Devoted defender being grappled stops them from doing their job.
    Or just cast Freedom of Movement, 4th-level cleric spell...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kizara View Post
    Make a frenzied beserker.
    Also, stock up on Wands of Calm Emotions!

21. - Top - End - #21

Make a frenzied beserker.
    The only problem is if you're not careful, you'll accidentally TPK the party.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

King of Smack redux uses nothing but the SRD (Complete Psionics). You could also pull off a Nanobots build with nothing but an Exemplar and an Animate Objects spell (Aid Another is an unnamed bonus. Summon a bunch of tiny friends, and have each of them Aid Another on your AC or To-Hit or Skills).

Also, you don't need a cohort to fill the role that you want. You can just Summon a few monsters and have them stand around you and ready an action to attack anyone who threatens you.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post

Also, you don't need a cohort to fill the role that you want. You can just Summon a few monsters and have them stand around you and ready an action to attack anyone who threatens you.
    Really, this. Cast Gate, summon in a Solar or something. Win.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

If your frenzyed Berzerker has not killed a party member by 16th level, your just not trying :).

Knights are a good choise too. Give him a big mouth and high charisma and have him talk the smack all the time.

Although a Frenzyed Berzerker would do a crap load of damage. A better offience sometimes beats out a good defence.
    Remember no matter where you go. There you are.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Grommen View Post
    Although a Frenzyed Berzerker would do a crap load of damage. A better offience sometimes almost always beats out a good defence.
    Fixed it
    Last edited by Mushroom Ninja; 2008-12-15 at 12:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Or just cast Freedom of Movement, 4th-level cleric spell...
    True but at 10 minutes per level its not feasible to do the all day thing. I guess you could persist it with DMM.

Once the ability kicks off you have time to cast FoM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Medic View Post
    True but at 10 minutes per level its not feasible to do the all day thing. I guess you could persist it with DMM.

Once the ability kicks off you have time to cast FoM.
    You cast it when you get in a fight?

You have more then 1 prepared?

The dude is at level 16 and its a 4th-level spell ffs. Its also one of the BEST 4th-level spells.

Heck, at that level, if you really wanted to you could get it permanancied.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, at 16th level, just buy a ring of Freedom of Movement. Or, if you have the Magic Item Compenduim, get the armor quality that mimics freedom of movement.
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2008-12-15 at 01:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    Also, at 16th level, just buy a ring of Freedom of Movement.
    A bit wasteful as a full cleric, don't you think? I mean, the spell lasts for 3 hours already, do you really need an item to replicate it?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Use Extend Spell and two-three level 5 slots. Alternatively, use the Metamagic Rod: Extend. It's easy enough to keep it active most day, and the rest of the day you'll probably be resting in Mordenkainen's Magnificient Mansion too..
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.