New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Dual-Wielding Shortbows?

A quick question for all you forumgoers out there: I'm making a thri-kreen rogue who wields two shortbows with his four arms. What kind of penalties come into play on his attack rolls? Are they +0/+0, -2/-2, -2/-4, or what?
    Last edited by pyrefiend; 2008-12-15 at 05:58 PM.
    Witch Razor Blood Sage
    (Links both lead to ToB disciplines I made!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dual-Wielding Shortbows?

Do you have Two-Weapon Fighting? If so, I think it's just -2/-2. I'd like someone with more experience to confirm that, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pyrefiend View Post
    A quick question for all you forumgoers out there: I'm making a thri-kreen rogue who wields two shortbows with his four arms. What kind of penalties come into play on his attack rolls? Are they +0/+0, -2/-2, -2/-4, or what?
    I was wondering about the logistics of it until I read "with his four arms". Anyway, I would go for -2/-2 and leave it at that myself (I'm assuming you have Two-Weapon Fighting - otherwise you can't dual-wield without additional penalties, even with four arms).
    Last edited by Fifty-Eyed Fred; 2008-12-15 at 06:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Naturally, the DM's word is final on that, but if he wants forum-goer's opinions, that makes sense too.

Unfortunately, I don't have an opinion on this subject.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

5. - Top - End - #5

Instead of the Two-Weapon Fighting feats, you'd need to look at the multi-weapon fighting feats for multi-limbed races

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Instead of using bows you should throw those chakram things they got.

With greater multishot, and all that other love it gets. You can throw like 16 without optimizing too much.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

A shortbow isn't a light weapon.

So your penalties are -6/-10 if you don't have Multiweapon Fighting, -4/-4 if you do.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

8. - Top - End - #8

I'd say Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting Feat from Complete Adventurer, but that only counts for One-handed weapons. While the concept is interesting, your attack rolls will probably suck

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

I probably should have mentioned right off the bat that I do indeed have multiweapon fighting.
    Instead of using bows you should throw those chakram things they got.

With greater multishot, and all that other love it gets. You can throw like 16 without optimizing too much.
    I really, really want to, but I can't. I'm not proficient because although thri-kreen treat them as martial weapons, rogues don't get full martial weapon proficiency. I considered spending a feat on exotic weapon proficiency, but I can't afford it because I really need weapon finesse.

A shortbow isn't a light weapon.
    No, but RAW states that crossbows can be dual-wielded as if they were light weapons. It doesn't say anything about dual-wielding bows, but that's hardly surprising since you need two hands to use one and the players handbook assumes characters with two hands.
    Witch Razor Blood Sage

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

No, but RAW states that crossbows can be dual-wielded as if they were light weapons. It doesn't say anything about dual-wielding bows, but that's hardly surprising since you need two hands to use one and the players handbook assumes characters with two hands.
    Any crossbow? Because there is a hand crossbow that is smaller than a light that could be used with 1 hand.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Most crossbows, not just the hand crossbow, require only 1 hand and can be dual wielded by 2 handed creatures. Reloading is another problem, though.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2008-12-15 at 09:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

A shortbow isn't a crossbow, so what the rules say about crossbows is irrelevant here.

And I'll admit that I'm no archery expert, but don't bows normally require the use of two hands, one to hold the bow and one to hold the arrow?

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    Any crossbow? Because there is a hand crossbow that is smaller than a light that could be used with 1 hand.
    I thought so, but apparently not. Light and Hand crossbows are treated as light, Heavy crossbows are treated as one handed. All of them except Hand also have a penalty for firing with one hand.
    Witch Razor Blood Sage

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    A shortbow isn't a crossbow, so what the rules say about crossbows is irrelevant here.

And I'll admit that I'm no archery expert, but don't bows normally require the use of two hands, one to hold the bow and one to hold the arrow?
    Thri-keen, Four Arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Thri-keen, Four Arms.
    Yes. But if a single bow requires two hands to use, it's certainly not a light weapon.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yes. But if a single bow requires two hands to use, it's certainly not a light weapon.
    Yes, but what makes light weapons easier to use is their weight. 2-handed weapons take 2-hands because they are heavier. You could say, a greatsword is a 2-armed weapon, because it needs the strength of both arms to be wielded effectivly. A shortbow isn't much heavier than a Shortsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #17

Flumph

Yes, but what makes light weapons easier to use is their weight. 2-handed weapons take 2-hands because they are heavier. You could say, a greatsword is a 2-armed weapon, because it needs the strength of both arms to be wielded effectivly. A shortbow isn't much heavier than a Shortsword.
    My thoughts exactly. Based on logic alone it seems like the attack roll penalty should be -2/-2 with multiweapon fighting, but there's no rules for dual-wielding bows so I'm not sure.
    Witch Razor Blood Sage

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

If your DM allows 3.0 conversion, then you can accomplish the same thing with the Fang of Lolth. Since its a PrC and not a race with somewhat ridiculous LA and racial HD, its a more optimal choice.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing as a shortspear (one-handed) weighs less than a light mace (light), there needs to be some other criteria involved here.

20. - Top - End - #20

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    If your DM allows 3.0 conversion, then you can accomplish the same thing with the Fang of Lolth. Since its a PrC and not a race with somewhat ridiculous LA and racial HD, its a more optimal choice.
    My DM wouldn't allow it... he's a bit of a rules lawyer and we have to adhere fairly strictly to the 3.5 RAW. And as for the thri-kreen and its LA, I'm not too worried about it. The rest of the party is composed of a ranger and a warlock, neither of whom are optimized.
    Witch Razor Blood Sage

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing as a shortspear (one-handed) weighs less than a light mace (light), there needs to be some other criteria involved here.
    Ease of Use?

22. - Top - End - #22

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    Ease of Use?
    I guess so. The light mace is clearly the exception rather than the rule, anyway. The only one-handed weapons lighter than it are either exceptionally thin for a one-handed weapon (rapier) or made mostly of some other material than iron (shortspear, club, and whip).
    Witch Razor Blood Sage

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    Ease of Use?
    Hmm. You have a point, maybe I've been overanalyzing....

OK, I'm confident that a shortbow doesn't count as light for TWF purposes. I mean, a heavy crossbow isn't considered light for TWF purposes, but it's not cumbersome enough to prevent you from using it while prone. A shortbow, meanwhile, can't be used while prone; so it should have less ease of use than the non-light heavy crossbow, right?

24. - Top - End - #24

HalfOrcPirate

I'd like to point out that dual wielding crossbows is more efficient if and only if you have a DM lenient enough to allow you to pull certain shenanigans... shenanigans which result in about 500 attacks per round, but shenanigans nonetheless.

Ranged weapons get shafted hard. Throwing weapons is really the only competent way to compete at a range unless you've got a few yards of height between you and non-flying opponents.

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

Apparently most four-armed creatures can't use two bows at once at all. The arrow demon from monster manual 3 has the ability to do so as an extraordinary ability, so I guess that means no one else can.
    Witch Razor Blood Sage

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently most four-armed creatures can't use two bows at once at all. The arrow demon from monster manual 3 has the ability to do so as an extraordinary ability, so I guess that means no one else can.
    The arrow demon has the special ability to fire with both its bows whenever it could make a single attack with a bow. That's quite different from the standard full attack you'd use with multiweapon fighting.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    But then he wouldn't be an uber-cool giant bug!
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Well think about it.

Are a thri-kreen's arms even shaped right for using two bows? Would have a bow above and below, using the same cross-body posture as humans, or would you have a bow on each side? When you think about it that way, a penalty for using the bows makes sense. Because a shortbow, despite being called a shortbow, is not really short. More short when compared to the longbow. I think with the interference the bows would cause with each other, and the lower bow being far away from your face/eyes/useful targeting reference points, I'd say you'd be lucky to escape with the standard penalties.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

My DM wouldn't allow it... he's a bit of a rules lawyer and we have to adhere fairly strictly to the 3.5 RAW. And as for the thri-kreen and its LA, I'm not too worried about it. The rest of the party is composed of a ranger and a warlock, neither of whom are optimized.
    Well by RAW 3.0 material automatically converts into 3.5. There's a 3.0 conversion manual, and 3.0 -> 3.5 updates. DMs ban 3.0 because they're not familiar with it, or think it breaks some sort of mystical balance rule (which is hilarious, because 3.0 is woefully underpowered compared to Complete Champion).

But hey, if he doesn't allow it, he doesn't allow it. It's his game world.

30. - Top - End - #30

I really, really want to, but I can't. I'm not proficient because although thri-kreen treat them as martial weapons, rogues don't get full martial weapon proficiency. I considered spending a feat on exotic weapon proficiency, but I can't afford it because I really need weapon finesse.
    Dip a level in Fighter (or Ranger or Barbarian or other class that grants all martial). Rogue 20th is worthless anyway.
    Play your character, not your alignment.