New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Psionics for Dummies (3.5)

I am starting up a new campaign (I hope) after a one shot was a lot of fun and the players seemed interested in seeing where things will go. One of the players is playing a psion. I like psionics and have tinkered around with a couple of builds (entirely psiwarrior) here and now, so I am familiar with things like the rule that you can't spend more power points on a power than your manifester level; however, I am not familiar with as many of the powers and pure casting classes like the psion.

Is there something like the logic ninja's guide for psionics? I want to be able to throw interesting challenges using psionics rather than only using the more vanilla D&D that I'm more experienced with. I feel it will be more enjoyable for the player of the psion if she feels like I'm really making an effort to include her character concept into my campaign/world.

Advice of pretty much any type would be useful, from builds to tips to reminders to... well pretty much anything outside of comments involving expansion and any of my immediate family members.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Psionics for Dummies (3.5)

A lot of the powers are actually remarkably close to printed spells. For example, Metamorphosis is about equal to Polymorph. I guess it depends on what you want to do. There are a few psionic monsters in various suppliments and it wouldn't be very hard to tack on 2-3 powers onto an existing monster, give it a few PPs to spend, and call it a Mind Touched whatever. Or add the Phrenic template, which does similar.

For party on party style combat, a Psion or other psychic class can easily fit into a group like they do with PCs. Instead of throwing in a blaster sorc with that group of bad guys, have a Kineticist. Instead of an Enchanter wizard, use a Telepath.

I can't give you too much other advice other than reading through all of your sources of psionic powers and ask yourself WWTLND?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I suggest you look here. Also, we had a similar thread just a few days ago here which may be of some use to you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    ... and ask yourself WWTLND?
    Get banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

There's a thread around here somewhere by Vorpal Tribble where he applied the phrenic template to every creature in the MM and posted the results. It'd be useful to have that already statted, rather than needing to do it on-the-fly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    There's a thread around here somewhere by Vorpal Tribble where he applied the phrenic template to every creature in the MM and posted the results. It'd be useful to have that already statted, rather than needing to do it on-the-fly.
    The Vorpal Tribble is my hero. Guy/Gal's so nice when you make a request via PM.