Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Is raising the Warmage and Beguiler's BAB to match the Bard reasonable?

Our group is deciding on houserules, and someone proposed this one. Here's the argument they gave:

From a fluff point of view, a warmage spends years training with the army.
    It's reasonable he learns to be a little more effective with weapons than your standard wizard.

A beguiler is, essentially, a rogue crossed with a bard. Why shouldn't she share their BAB? Plus, with practically no spells that do actual damage, if the beguiler is in a situation where she has to defend herself against a monster immune to charm/mind affecting/illusion, it'd be nice to have another option.

Additionally, both classes have the same number of spells/day as a cleric (with domain spells), and the cleric has an average BAB.

Finally, neither class would be favoring STR (in any sensible build), so it's not like they'd suddenly be outshining the rogue when it comes to combat.

I see where they're coming from, but with both classes having the same spells/day as a sorcerer, I'm not entirely convinced. So, might as well let everyone here weigh in.
    Last edited by overduegalaxy; 2008-12-17 at 06:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Is raising the Warmage and Beguiler's BAB to match the Bard reasonable?

The beguiler is flat out better than the rogue. It doesn't need any extra help.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Is raising the Warmage and Beguiler's BAB to match the Bard reasonable?

Fluffwise, I can see the warmage not ever picking up a weapon.
    Same with the Beguiler.

That said, just because the Beguiler specializes in a kind of magic that enemies often have immunity to doesn't mean he needs free stuff. In the WoW parlance, you can't expect everyone to be able to solo.

In game balance I suppose it doesn't make that much of a difference in combat, since they'll still suck too much to hit anything. I'd look at PrC requirements and see if letting Warmage and Beguiler in early due to BAB value will break things.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

To be honest, I don't think that would break anything at all.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

No, it is not. Neither needs a weapon, and both are plenty strong already without this boost.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
    I'd look at PrC requirements and see if letting Warmage and Beguiler in early due to BAB value will break things.
    To be fair, the sort of PrCs they should be looking at shouldn't be relying on BAB prereqs, but caster prereqs.
    Last edited by overduegalaxy; 2008-12-17 at 07:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by overduegalaxy
    To be fair, the sort of PrCs they should be looking at shouldn't be relying on BAB prereqs, but caster prereqs.
    Strange things can be afoot at the Circle-K when it comes to PrC.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think that it would be fine for the Warmage but not for the Beguiler. The Warmage could do with the extra attack bonus since all it's spells are attacking focused anyway. The Beguiler is seriously good as is and doesn't need a boost.
    Dub Club in the Playground
    I need a new signature.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
    I think that it would be fine for the Warmage but not for the Beguiler. The Warmage could do with the extra attack bonus since all it's spells are attacking focused anyway. The Beguiler is seriously good as is and doesn't need a boost.
    Agreed wholeheartedly.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

As others have said, the Beguiler is just fine the way it is.

As for the Warmage, I always thought it should have medium BAB. It'll help with their touch attack spells, and it would make them much more gish-friendly, encouraging them to take more gishy PrCs (or at least let them get in earlier).
    My homebrew - If you use it, please let me know how it goes!

Current Projects - Warlock rewrite

1st place in GITP Monster Competition LV and LVI

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

^

What they said.

Warmage, OK. Beguiler, gods no.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with this.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by overduegalaxy View Post

A beguiler is, essentially, a rogue crossed with a bard. Why shouldn't she share their BAB? Plus, with practically no spells that do actual damage, if the beguiler is in a situation where she has to defend herself against a monster immune to charm/mind affecting/illusion, it'd be nice to have another option.
    The best "other option" is some wands of blasty spells.

Beguiler has UMD as a class skill, and should have a high Cha, so buying a few wands to use when the enemy has no nice squishy mind to mess with is a good idea.

Very few things are immune to Enchantment, illusion and Magic Missile
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Don't improve the Beguiler. Seriously. Don't even think about it. Do you hate Rogues, probably the most balanced class in the game? I can't think of any other reason for your proposal.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I agree with this; the Beguiler is a 3.5 class, and a late one at that. The warmage is a 3.0 class that remained a 3.0 class when reprinted.

While the warmage probably shouldn't be swinging a sword, he definitely should be able to.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

While boosting the BAB of the beguiler isn't game breaking because they won't be attacking much anyway, it is completely pointless for that reason. It's just a power-boost to an already powerful class.

Makes more sense with the warmage, not entirely sure about balance but at least the pay-off makes sense. Perhaps try and balance it in someway, possibly by delaying advanced learning by a level.
    Last edited by metagaia; 2008-12-17 at 08:41 PM.
    What in the name of German alternative rock group Falco are you doing here?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Honestly, a Beguiler could function just fine with 0 BaB. I guess he'd be easier to grapple, but he's pretty much screwed on that front until he grabs a ring of FoM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Beguilers get FoM as a spell anways. no need to wate a ring slot on that.
    NS2...it's time to evolve again.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Beguilers get FoM as a spell anways. no need to wate a ring slot on that.
    The spell has a duration of a few hours at best, though, whereas the ring is always active and less likely to be disabled. Considering the life-saving power of the effect, there's something to be said for the ring of freedom of movement even if you can cast the spell.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Warmage - maybe.

Beguiler - no.

Beguiler is already a pretty nifty class - they really don't need much help.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

With all those spells per day, I guess spamming FoM could be worth it by the higher levels, but you better have two really good rings.
    Last edited by GoodbyeSoberDay; 2008-12-18 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

The only thing about this is, Warmages mostly go after touch AC. Getting a high attack bonus isn't that critical for them, though of course it still doesn't hurt.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

From a fluff perspective, I'd say t would make sense for Warmages but not for Beguillers (WMs are supposedly trained for combat while Beguillers are more concerned with learning how to use skills).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    With all those spells per day, I guess spamming FoM could be worth it by the higher levels, but you better have two really good rings.
    Plenty of rings are good. For example, a ring that of Universal Resistance, or a Ring of Shield Other (if you get hit, half the damage goes to the Big Stupid Fighter!)
    NS2...it's time to evolve again.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I've played a few different mages (and mage/fighters, spellswords, mage/rogue/arcane tricksters) with the intent of making a compentant fighter/blaster arcanist. So far, Warmage comes closest in the feel, but even then, has that horrible habit of being a glass cannon, and having party members say "Your BaB is what? And you're a Warmage?"

With such knowledge under my belt, and a firm urge to stick my +1 spear up into his 'Hard Reset' button area, I too, advocate in an increase in the Warmage's BaB. Now, perhaps they don't get full Bab (awww), because, after all, they are a spontaneous caster that can draw from thier entire list, (albiet a good deal smaller than most blaster-casters would like, though admittedly normally enough to drop BBEG X), at least bumping them up to 3/4ths Bab (IE: Bard, Cleric, etc) makes a good deal of sense to me.

Edit: No BaB for Beguiler. They're good enough.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2008-12-18 at 05:08 AM.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seffbasilisk View Post
    I've played a few different mages (and mage/fighters, spellswords, mage/rogue/arcane tricksters) with the intent of making a compentant fighter/blaster arcanist. So far, Warmage comes closest in the feel, but even then, has that horrible habit of being a glass cannon, and having party members say "Your BaB is what? And you're a Warmage?"

With such knowledge under my belt, and a firm urge to stick my +1 spear up into his 'Hard Reset' button area, I too, advocate in an increase in the Warmage's BaB. Now, perhaps they don't get full Bab (awww), because, after all, they are a spontaneous caster that can draw from thier entire list, (albiet a good deal smaller than most blaster-casters would like, though admittedly normally enough to drop BBEG X), at least bumping them up to 3/4ths Bab (IE: Bard, Cleric, etc) makes a good deal of sense to me.

Edit: No BaB for Beguiler. They're good enough.
    QFT on most of this post. The Beguiler is good enough, but the Warmage can use the help. I have to ask, though, have you never heard of the Duskblade? They are good at low levels, similar to all charazcters then, great from about 5-10, then taper off as they're much more Martial than Arcane. Very good, though, and seems what you were looking for.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

You could give the Battle Sorcerer full Socerer progression as well (this would make normal Sorcerers pointless without boosting them, though).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    You could give the Battle Sorcerer full Socerer progression as well (this would make normal Sorcerers pointless without boosting them, though).
    One of my friends uses this as a fix for them in games he GMs, to make them have something over Wizards. YMMV.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

What does YMMV mean? I heard about that fix from someone on this forum.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    What does YMMV mean? I heard about that fix from someone on this forum.
    Your milage may vary. Essentially, I don't know how it would play out in your game, as it matters most for Sorcerers that don't have Ranged Touch attacks and can't use Runestaves.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!