New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Clockwork Constructs?

Anybody ever seen any in any book?

I'm trying to figure out how they'd differ from normal constructs.

I'm thinking crits and sneak attacks would be possible, as they have important parts and cogs to damage, unlike a golem. However, players wouldn't necessarily know where those are, so perhaps give them fortification as an armor quality?

Like any construct, I'm thinking no con score and a d10 hit die...but i'm not sure. (i'm trying to build a clockwork dragon, and the 2d12 hit die will be missed.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Clockwork Constructs?

• Effigy creatures are presented as having a kind of clockwork-meets-taxidermy feel IIRC. No change to their Construct type qualities as far as I'm aware though.
    • Dragon #344 featured a collection of minor golems, construct familiars and construct magic items. A couple of those might have modified qualities.
    • The Green Ronin "Advanced Bestiary" has a couple of living mechanism templates which might modfy the standard Construct type. I don't recall off the top of my head though. It also had a 'metal-fleshed' template which can do double duty as a construct type in a pinch.
    • The China Mieville issue of Dragon (#35X) had the Remade, the half-mutant/half-machine slave caste of New Crobuzon. I'm trying to remember if it features the autonomous 'bots of Construct Council now...
    • Keith and Frank talk about reworking the Construct type so you can (literally) throw a spanner in their works with Crits in Tome of Gears.
    • Or you could always refluff the Warforged (living constructs, subject to critical hits and energy drain, gain bonus hp from Con, etc.).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Clockwork Constructs?

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    • The China Mieville issue of Dragon (#35X) had the Remade, the half-mutant/half-machine slave caste of New Crobuzon. I'm trying to remember if it features the autonomous 'bots of Construct Council now...
    Nein. It just had the Remade, and no other constructs that I can remember.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."