New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Swift Hunter tips + archery

Quote Originally Posted by Popertop View Post
    is having splitting on every dagger I have a viable choice?
    No, that's not legal at all. Splitting has a restriction:
    must be a bow, crossbow, arrow, or bolt

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I always liked the Wounding enhancement on bows. Especially for a greater many shot-using Swift Hunter.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eisirt View Post
    How do you get past the restriction in Manyshot?
    Only the first arrow gets precision damage... see below.
    Look in the Expanded Psionics Handbook. There is a feat in there called Greater Manyshot. It allows you to do precision based damage on every arrow fired, instead of just one of the arrows.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Ranger 17 is generally taken for the yummy Hide in Plain Sight. Then again, it comes late and Stalker of Kharesh gets it much earlier. And Favored Enemy: Evil, which is just good.
    I too am a fan of Stalker of Kharesh. If you do your progression right, you end up getting +10 vs. all Evil enemies. It's particularly nice when combined with the Wise to Your Ways feat (Ghostwalk - 3.0 material) which gives you your Favored Enemy bonus to most Saves against your Favored Enemy.

More importantly, it lets you pick 4 non-Evil enemies for your other Favored Enemies (constructs, elementals, etc), which allows your Skirmish damage to apply to pretty much everyone.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    (Ghostwalk - 3.0 material)
    Ghostwalk did get a 3.5 update.

(It wasn't a very thorough update, mind you... keep your filthy hands off my bargain-priced Gloves of Stori-- I mean, Gloves of the Master Strategist.)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    More importantly, it lets you pick 4 non-Evil enemies for your other Favored Enemies (constructs, elementals, etc), which allows your Skirmish damage to apply to pretty much everyone.
    The huge advantage I find with FE: Evil is that it bypasses most of the annoying higher level NPCs (BBEG, high-level lieutenants, any other hostile organizations you may clash with) with Fortifications Armor, magical protection or similar that you wouldn't be bypassing otherwise unless you happened to guess the race correctly (god forbid you face such foes of different races). In general, things that lack native critical protection but have it from another source.

Outsiders, Humans or Dragons, chances are it's going to be Evil anyways so you get free bypass on those defenses. And since Undead are categorically Evil, it covers that too. I like Nemesis: Evil for the free Evildar and extra 1d6 you get with it.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-12-17 at 02:04 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    Other magic items:
    Goggles of Sniper’s Shot (8,000gp) – Allows you to use precision based damage at any range.
    Headband of Arrow Mind (8,000gp) – Allows you to threaten with a bow and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when shooting with a bow.
    Armbands of Guided Shot (8,000gp) – Your ranged attacks do not take a penalty due to distance.
    Anyone have an idea on where these items come from, haven't found them in the MIC or any of the books I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper
    Rock is fine, nerf scissors.

8. - Top - End - #38

Those seem to be custom magic items, Arrow Mind and Sniper's Shot are spells in the Spell Compendium if i recall correctly.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

More generally, I'm curious about interesting archer builds,
    had a recent thought about swifthunter archer. the psionic ranger variant from DSP in a swift hunter build would be awesome because it selects powers from the psychic warrior list. animal afinity, psionic lions charge, etc (both good for a 2 weapon fighter. i think a psionic swift hunter with greater manyshot would be awesome, dealing precision based damaged to each target for each arrow.

thoughts?
    Last edited by SylvanPrincess; 2010-12-29 at 02:10 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What psychic warrior powers are especially valuable to an archer? I think there's skate for better move speed (for improved kiting ability, potentially, but probably not that useful usually) and expansion offhand, with expansion just being useful for becoming a bigger target and having higher base damage dice at the cost of a double penalty to one's ability to hit... If one can threaten with the bow though, that does give reach to aid in preventing others from reaching one's self.

So I think I need my memory refreshed.

Edit: Hustle is, of course, always nice...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-12-29 at 02:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    What psychic warrior powers are especially valuable to an archer? I think there's skate for better move speed (for improved kiting ability, potentially, but probably not that useful usually) and expansion offhand, with expansion just being useful for becoming a bigger target and having higher base damage dice at the cost of a double penalty to one's ability to hit... If one can threaten with the bow though, that does give reach to aid in preventing others from reaching one's self.

So I think I need my memory refreshed.

Edit: Hustle is, of course, always nice...
    i admit, it seems a better option for two weapon fighting. however, some feats like up the walls work great in a skirmish build. vampiric blade would be awesome if it could be applied to a bow + greater many shot. there are bunch of good defensive abilities, but generally youre right, bow isnt as good. still, a psionic swifthunter would be cool

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I put together a kalashtar swift hunter/seer, using Expanded Knowledge to pick up Dimension Hop. Good powers to enhance scouting and Dimension Hop was ruled to qualify for skirmish. Since I was already taking the BAB hit, I took Seer to 5th level. Dimension Hop can also be augmented to enable Improved Skirmish to activate. The kalashtar's racial power point boost also helps fuel the ability.

Not as effective as many true Swift Hunter combos, but I thought it was pretty appropriate for a Kalashtar swift hunter.

13. - Top - End - #43

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eisirt View Post
    Anyone have an idea on where these items come from, haven't found them in the MIC or any of the books I have.
    They are indeed custom magic items. They are all based on the spells in the name of the item.

Goggles of Sniper’s Shot (8,000gp) - Sniper's Shot (Sorcerer/Wizard 1st, Spell Compendium)
    Headband of Arrow Mind (8,000gp) - Arrow Mind (Sorcerer/Wizard 1st, Spell Compendium)
    Armbands of Guided Shot (8,000gp) - Guided Shot (Sorcerer/Wizard 1st, Spell Compendium)

You could put some of these effects on the same item. If you add two of the effects together, the cost would be 24,000. Example: Sniper Shot and Guided Shot on the same bracer would be 24,000. If you add all three together on the same item, the cost would be 32,000. Depending on your DM's ruleing, it may cost a little more if the spell does not fit the slot.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

They are indeed custom magic items. They are all based on the spells in the name of the item.
    Psst, those are guidelines, not rules.
    Meaning if such an item is possible, it will cost as much as the DM feels like.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-12-29 at 10:03 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Psst, those are guidelines, not rules.
    Meaning if such an item is possible, it will cost as much as the DM feels like.
    Well, these prices are based on the item creation rules in the DMG. If your DM uses different rules, then these prices are not accurate. Please check with your DM before buying these items.

16. - Top - End - #46

PirateGirl

Well, these prices are based on the item creation rules in the DMG. If your DM uses different rules, then these prices are not accurate. Please check with your DM before buying these items.
    Again - they are not rules (or entitlements), they are guidelines.

17. - Top - End - #47

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ffone View Post
    Again - they are not rules (or entitlements), they are guidelines.
    They look like rules to me. I consider most of the stuff listed in the Players Handbook and the Dungeon Masters Guide to be rules unless they have a sidebar that says "optional" or something.

And since you don't consider them "rules (or entitlements)", what do you think the cost of these items should be? Any archer and/or ranged skirmisher I build typically purchase these items.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

They look like rules to me. I consider most of the stuff listed in the Players Handbook and the Dungeon Masters Guide to be rules unless they have a sidebar that says "optional" or something.
    Here's the sidebar (from DMG page 282):
    BEHIND THE CURTAIN: MAGIC ITEM GOLD PIECE VALUES
    Many factors must be considered when determining the price of magic items you invent. The easiest way to come up with a price is to match the new item to an item priced in this chapter and use its price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table 7–33: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values.
    So: those table prices are only guidelines, and aren't considered before the primary cost determining factor: matching to existing items with similar capabilities.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

And since you don't consider them "rules (or entitlements)", what do you think the cost of these items should be? Any archer and/or ranged skirmisher I build typically purchase these items.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG, p214
    VARIANT: NEW MAGIC ITEMS
    In the same way that you can invent new spells and monsters for your campaign, you can invent new magic items. In the same way that a PC spellcaster can research a new spell, a PC may be able to invent a new kind of magic item. And just as you have to be careful about new spells, you need to be careful with new magic items.

Use the magic item descriptions in this chapter as examples on which to base new magic items. A new magic item needs all the information that similar, existing magic items have, possibly including activation type, activation time, and caster level. You should also be ready to determine the market value of a new magic item, even one that the PCs simply find, in case a character wants to sell or duplicate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG, p282
    Behind the Curtain: Magic Item Gold Piece Values
    Many factors must be considered when determining the price of magic items you invent. The easiest way to come up with a price is to match the new item to an item priced in this chapter and use its price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table 7-33: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG, p285
    Table 7-33: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values
    That enough for you? (underlines added)

Let me find my copy of the SpC to see if the 8000 is a decent price...
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2010-12-29 at 12:18 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

20. - Top - End - #50

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Here's the sidebar (from DMG page 282): So: those table prices are only guidelines, and aren't considered before the primary cost determining factor: matching to existing items with similar capabilities.
    The price I quoted is the price as layed out by the rules/guidelines/options (or whatever you want to call them).

If you think they should be different, then let me know what YOU think the price should be. These items are a "must have" for most ranged characters.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If you think they should be different, then let me know what YOU think the price should be. These items are a "must have" for most ranged characters.
    How are the ranged characters supposed to be making these items? They don't exist in any of the standard WotC books, so they require the Craft Wondrous Item feat to make.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Goggles of Sniper’s Shot (8,000gp) – Allows you to use precision based damage at any range.

Headband of Arrow Mind (8,000gp) – Allows you to threaten with a bow and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when shooting with a bow.

Armbands of Guided Shot (8,000gp) – Your ranged attacks do not take a penalty due to distance.
    Guided Shot not only ignores distance, but gives you the effect of Improved Precise Shot, a feat with 11th level prerequisites.

So, the prices I'd suggest:
    Continuous Sniper's Shot: 8,000gp
    Continuous Arrow Mind: ...however much Gloves of Storing cost, and then a little bit. You get the same effect (attack both melee and ranged at will or close to will) but don't have to spend a swift action or enchant two weapons.
    Continuous Guided Shot: 25,000gp (or less, depending on how much IPS is worth to you)
    [hr]
    EDIT:
    How are the ranged characters supposed to be making these items? They don't exist in any of the standard WotC books, so they require the Craft Wondrous Item feat to make.
    By being a 6th-level Ranger or having their Sor/Wiz friend make it, I imagine.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2010-12-29 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Continuous price was already included
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

23. - Top - End - #53

BlueKnightGuy

Yes, most magic items require the appropriate item creation feat, but that gose without saying.

Continuous Use Item
    Spell Level (1st) x Caster Level (1st) x 2,000 gold = 2,000 gold.

If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4.

TOTAL COST = 8,000 gold

See, it's very simple to figure out the cost according to the "guidelines/rules/options". If your DM strays too far from this formula, you might as well go through the DMG and the Magic Item Compendium and re-write all the prices since the pre-made items pretty much follow these "guidelines/rules/options".

If your DM will not allow these three magic items, you might do well to get Scrolls, Wands, or Staffs with the spells Arrow Mind, Guided Shot, and Sniper Shot.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Continuous Use Item
    Spell Level (1st) x Caster Level (1st) x 2,000 gold = 2,000 gold.

If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4.

TOTAL COST = 8,000 gold
    Psst, Arrow Mind has minutes/level duration.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

25. - Top - End - #55

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Guided Shot not only ignores distance, but gives you the effect of Improved Precise Shot, a feat with 11th level prerequisites.

So, the prices I'd suggest:
    Continuous Sniper's Shot: 8,000gp
    Continuous Arrow Mind: ...however much Gloves of Storing cost, and then a little bit. You get the same effect (attack both melee and ranged at will or close to will) but don't have to spend a swift action or enchant two weapons.
    Continuous Guided Shot: 25,000gp (or less, depending on how much IPS is worth to you)
    <hr>
    EDIT:

By being a 6th-level Ranger or having their Sor/Wiz friend make it, I imagine.
    Wow, if you were my DM, I'd just get some scrolls or something. That's way too expensive. Or I would just dip one or two levels of Wizard/Sorcerer since they are all 1st level spells. Jeeze!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, if you were my DM, I'd just get some scrolls or something. That's way too expensive. Or I would just dip one or two levels of Wizard/Sorcerer since they are all 1st level spells. Jeeze!
    Sniper's Shot is fine, Arrow Mind is priced using a similar item.

Guided Shot I just guessed at, but an 11th level ability with other benefits isn't going to be cheap.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

27. - Top - End - #57

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Psst, Arrow Mind has minutes/level duration.
    If Arrow Mind has minutes per level, then it would be even cheaper. It would only be 4,000 gold, not 8,000.

28. - Top - End - #58

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Sniper's Shot is fine, Arrow Mind is priced using a similar item.

Guided Shot I just guessed at, but an 11th level ability with other benefits isn't going to be cheap.
    If your DM is like Siosilvar, then dip into two levels of Specialist Wizard (Divination) since they are all divination spells. You would need an intelligence of at least 11. Get a ring of Wizardry I. You can then memorize each spell 3 times per day, and that's without a high intelligence bonus. If your Intelligence is higher, you can then memorize more as needed.

If you have a lower intelligence, then pick up Sorcerer instead. Again, 11 charisma needed and you're good to go.

Don't forget that you can also make scrolls and/or potions of each spell. It wouldn't cost much to make a scroll or potion of each of these spells.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

If your DM is like Siosilvar,
    That was uncalled for.

EDIT: Though the idea is fine... you're using 2 levels and 20,000gp to avoid spending twice that for the same effects but constant. Who's too expensive now? You only get 20 levels in your career (and usually not even that).
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2010-12-29 at 12:56 PM. Reason: whoop, math
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

And then you'd pay in actions. They're all swift/immediate, so you can only use one of them per turn, and Sniper's Shot and Guided Shot only last one round, so you couldn't benefit from both (unless you're RKV or similar).

Then you could, as a focused diviner, cast them a grand total of 4 times a day.

By the by, were there any spells with duration of 1 round (not round/level) around when the guidelines were written? It seems the former should sport a larger cost multiplier.

[Edit]:
    Don't forget that you can also make scrolls and/or potions of each spell. It wouldn't cost much to make a scroll or potion of each of these spells.
    Potions are standard action to drink. Scrolls are standard actions to read. Making a 1 round duration spell into either would be silly.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-12-29 at 12:56 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.