New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5e Bloodline] Bladechild (PEACH)

Due to recent praise of my Name Given bloodline, I've decided to make another. Though I've had requests for Angelic and Demonic bloodlines, I decided to make something else. Mostly because I'm having difficulty with those two. Not enough differentiating features and all that. So anyways, this one is focused around the Sublime Way. Behold.

Bladechild

Some people are born good with a sword. Some people are born really good with a sword. And then some pick up a sword and shoot fire out of it. Those last ones? Those are the Bladechildren. They are gifted with an innate understanding of the Sublime Way. They go to fight and Maneuvers just emerge from their movements. It's been speculated that the first Martial Adepts learned from the Bladechildren of their people. This is quite possible, though controversial.

Level
    Minor
    Intermediate
    Major
    1 Martial Lore +2
    2 Martial Lore +2 1st Discipline, Maneuver 1-1
    3 Ability 1 +1
    4 Martial Lore +2 1st Discipline, Maneuver 1-1 Stance 1st
    5 Martial Adept Affinity +2
    6 Ability 1 +1 Maneuver 1-2
    7 Discipline 1 Skill +2
    8 1st Discipline, Maneuver 1-1 Stance 1st Stance 3rd
    9 Ability 2 +1
    10 Martial Adept Affinity +2 2nd Discipline, Maneuver 1-3, 2-1
    11 Martial Adept Affinity +4
    12 Ability 1 +1 Maneuver 1-2 Sublime Saves +2
    13 Discipline 2 Skill +2
    14 Discipline 1 Skill +2 Maneuver 1-4, 2-2
    15 Ability 3 +1
    16 Stance 1st Stance 3rd Stance 5th
    17 Martial Adept Affinity +6
    18 Ability 2 +1 3rd Discipline, Maneuver 1-5, 2-3, 3-1
    19 Discipline 3 Skill +2
    20 Martial Adept Affinity +2 2nd Discipline, Maneuver 1-3, 2-1 Sublime Supremacy
    My! Look at that! Everyone gets a Stance at 16th level! Totally accidental.

Disciplines: The most prominent ability of the Bladechildren is their innate skill with the Sublime Way. As they advance, they gain access to new maneuvers, stances and disciplines. The Bladechild's disciplines must all be available to a single base class. So a Bladechild could have their disciplines be Shadowhand, Setting Sun and Desert wind, as they all are available to the Swordsage, but they could not have White Raven, Setting Sun and Iron Heart unless they found a class that access to all three. The notation used for Maneuver acquisition is "Maneuver (Which discipline) - (Level of maneuver)". Stances gained are of up to the level indicated and must be from the Bladechild's first discipline. The Bladechild initiates all maneuvers gained from this bloodline with an initiator level equal to 1/4, 1/2 or 1X their level, depending on bloodline strength. Each maneuver may be used once per encounter with no recovery method. The disciplines which they choose also influence which skills they gain a bonus to. Each discipline has a favored skill and it is this skill which they gain a bonus to. If the Bladechild has levels in a Martial Adept class, then the maneuvers from the two are kept separate from one another - the Bladechild maneuvers use the IL and (lack of a) recovery method detailed here.

Abilities 1-3 +1: The abilities to which the Bladechild gets a bonus to is dependent on whether they are a Smart or a Wise Bladechild. AKA whether their parent class uses Intelligence or Wisdom for special abilities. If they lack special abilities based on one of these scores then go with whichever one seems more suitable. Smart Bladechildren gain bonuses to Strength, Intelligence and Dexterity, in that order, whereas Wise Bladechildren gain bonuses to Dexterity, Wisdom and Strength, in that order.

Martial Adept Affinity: Martial Adepts readily recognize and respect the Bladechild. Whether they believe in the myth that the Bladechildren created the disciplines or not, Martial Adepts pay heed to the wisdom of these gifted individuals. The Bladechildren gain a bonus on all social interaction checks with Martial Adepts.

Sublime Saves +2: Maneuvers originated from the Bladechildren. They're in their blood. As such, they instinctively know how best to avoid their harmful effects. They gain a bonus on all saves against martial maneuvers.

Sublime Supremacy: Who would dare initiate against a Bladechild? The First of the Sword? The Creators of the Nine? Such attempts must meet only with failure. When a Bladechild of this level is threatening an enemy who is initiating a maneuver, they may attempt to cancel it. As an immediate action they may expend one maneuver of the same discipline and at least half the level of the oncoming maneuver in order to attempt such a cancel. This is followed by opposed Initiator Level checks. If the Bladechild wins, the opponent's maneuver is successfully negated. The Bladechild may alternatively attempt to cancel the maneuver from anywhere within the maneuver's area of effect for maneuvers such as Hatchling's Flame or Fan the Flames which effect a given area instead of a designated target.

Lineages: The different Discipline selection combinations are treated as Lineages. As such, a Mudblood or other character that can have more than one Bloodline may have more than one Bladechild Bloodline, as long as the two share no disciplines.

This bloodline is meant to be entirely compatible with with Age of Warriors and the large quantity of homebrew disciplines. Hence the wording about discipline access being phrased as it was. Gogo Major Falling Anvil Bladechild Bloodline.

I'm slightly concerned about the large number of maneuvers these individuals end up getting by the end of the progression. But then again, they are of a significantly lower level than those that an actual Martial Adept would have at that level and they lack a recovery method. ... So I think it's alright?
    Last edited by Welknair; 2014-05-04 at 08:18 PM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e Bloodline] Bladechild (PEACH)

Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to stop being so awesome. You're overshadowing me.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to stop being so awesome. You're overshadowing me.
    Seeing as I'm just about the only person that does bloodlines, it's not that hard to find stuff to make. I'm glad I got another success.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Two words:

EPIC WIN

Fit's perfectly with the background for a character I was thinking, I'm going to need to consider this

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sir! You must stop being so awesome, lest your awesome-ness drain away everyone elses! This could be very bad if my theory of collective awesomium is correct, but it's not. So good job, man. Go eat some cake, or these cookies, or that internet that that man in the top hat just gave you.
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

In all seriousness, this is awesome, and I can't help but say thank you for all the bloodlines you have done so far, and hopefully continue to do. It was an awesome concept, with probably mixed results by the makers themselves, that deserved more treatment, I feel. And you have been doing such, so keep it up!
    Awesome avatar by Abscondcrow

Spoiler
    Show
    Former awesome avatar by Zefir.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Hence the wording about discipline access being phrased as it was. Gogo Major Falling Anvil Bladechild Bloodline.
    I admit I was considering it...
    Also, you need to specify BASE classes, since True Master of Nine could get access to any combination of nine disciplines in theory.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

8. - Top - End - #8

Err... if you mean the discipline ability... it does.

The Bladechild's disciplines must all be available to a single base class

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is cool.
    Recently I've been considering creating a series of bloodlines that represent extra training/dabbling a character's been doing in addition to the training that results in actual classes (that way you could have things like a rouge who's picked up some magic to help him bypass defenses or sneak attack zombies without multi-classing or umd). You're name given and now this seem to show that that's a worthwhile concept and I'll have to put some write some up lest you beat me to it.

Also two things,(one horribly minor and pedantic, the other less so):

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    It's been stipulated that the first Martial Adepts learned from the Bladechildren of their people.
    I think you mean speculated. Stipulated means to demand or specify something.

More importantly, you might want to mention in the class it self that they lack a recovery method. I thought you had merely neglected it until I noticed you mentioning it in your comments.
    Last edited by Epsilon Rose; 2011-07-12 at 11:16 PM.
    The Focus Sniper: Boom. Head-shot.
    Spoiler: Older, and somewhat abandoned, classes
    Show
    The Chaote: a free form mage.
    My [wip] Magic fix: everyone has one, but how many encourage multi-classing?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Err... if you mean the discipline ability... it does.
    My mistake.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I admit I was considering it...
    It would certainly fit with the notion that Falling Anvil is a disease of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon Rose View Post
    This is cool.
    Recently I've been considering creating a series of bloodlines that represent extra training/dabbling a character's been doing in addition to the training that results in actual classes (that way you could have things like a rouge who's picked up some magic to help him bypass defenses or sneak attack zombies without multi-classing or umd). You're name given and now this seem to show that that's a worthwhile concept and I'll have to put some write some up lest you beat me to it.
    You may want to check out my Hero Born which achieves a similar effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon Rose View Post
    I think you mean speculated. Stipulated means to demand or specify something.

More importantly, you might want to mention in the class it self that they lack a recovery method. I thought you had merely neglected it until I noticed you mentioning it in your comments.
    Done and done. Man, I think that's the first time I've misused a word in one of my 'brews.

And wow. I realize that not many people make bloodlines and I think I generally do decent work, but I doubt it's enough to warrant this kind of reaction. If it turns out I'm not being "punk'd", thanks for the praise guys, it's always appreciated. And greatly increases the chance that I make more bloodlines.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-07-13 at 01:33 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

It is worth the reaction (I think), because bloodlines were actually a fantastic way to express some roleplaying concepts and mechanics that class and feats alone could not do, and the race system as presented just failed at doing (plus, it sounds better to have a bloodline than to make individual subraces based on bloodlines... aasimars...) However, they lacked further support, and I think looking at the titan bloodline and the poorly worded used hammer ability speak to the quality some of them had. Since you really are the only one I have seen who has done so many thus far, you have pretty much struck a gold mine, and we the viewers are aware of this. Thus your win!
    Last edited by Daverin; 2011-07-13 at 05:01 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Bloodlines, bloodlines everywhere.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    Bloodlines, bloodlines everywhere.
    Yeah, I do seem to be making a lot of them recently...
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-07-14 at 09:01 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

*GASP*

I just noticed you used me in a sig! I feel AWESOME!!!

On a more serious note, any more progress on those celestial/fiendish bloodlines? If you'd like, I could offer suggestions, advice, or whatever.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Like I could pass up the opportunity to put that into my sig.

I'll give another shot at those two when I get back from the trip I'm going on. Which reminds me: I'll be gone all next week. That'd be the reason for the lack of responses and new bloodlines during that time.

I've been toying around with different ideas for those. To start I was making a Demonic bloodline with Lineages for the different demon species, but it turns out that they don't have enough unique features for that to be feasible. And too few of them would feasibly have children. I then had the idea to make bloodlines based around planar groups (Upper planes, lower planes, lawful planes and chaotic planes), but those ended up being alignment-bloodlines and lost their demon-y flavor. So I guess I'll try an old-fashioned, straightforward bloodline.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tell me Welk, might you be willing to do a bloodline for the descendants of my Malefactor class (and/or bump the thread with thoughts on my sample NPC, who appears to have killed discussion entirely)?

As far as Bladechild goes, I love it - keep up the good work, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Tell me Welk, might you be willing to do a bloodline for the descendants of my Malefactor class (and/or bump the thread with thoughts on my sample NPC, who appears to have killed discussion entirely)?
    Sure! Currently on my plate are:

• Those blasted Angel and Demon Bloodlines
    • Recently got a request for one based on the Ozodrin
    • And now one based on the Malefactor

Bloodlines will be created in the order in which inspiration strikes me.

And again, keep in mind my upcoming absence. If I don't finish these by then, I will hopefully do so when I return.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but what is a bloodline and how do you gain and use this?
    its clearly not a class by normal means or a temp so what is this?
    this is 3.5 material right?
    Last edited by LunarWolfPrime; 2011-07-20 at 07:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, a question for you Welknair... What happens if you have levels in an initiator class and gain the maneuvers from this bloodline? Say a bladechild takes a level in warblade for his first or second class level? Then what?
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Actually, a question for you Welknair... What happens if you have levels in an initiator class and gain the maneuvers from this bloodline? Say a bladechild takes a level in warblade for his first or second class level? Then what?
    The maneuvers and IL are kept separate. The maneuvers granted from this bloodline have no recovery method and that doesn't change when you have levels in an initiating class.

Edit: Made sure to say that under Disciplines.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-07-25 at 09:28 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show