New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #819 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ungolhir View Post
    Tarquin, you magnificent bastard! I want to read your book! Great comic.
    I want I signed copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wick View Post
    This, of course, raises the question of why Tarquin sent the OOTS off: to reinforce Girard against Nale, to get them out of his hair, for some reason related to why Penelope died, just to get the band back together and to their destination, or because he knows Girard is predisposed to hate them? Or some other reason entirely?

Also, so much for any theories that Tarquin and Nale are in cahoots.
    he didnt want to send them off per se but had no way to convince them to stay without revealing he knew Nale was there pre-mature

since they were convinced he was heading to windy canyon they would hurry there ASAP and Tarquin would have no way to stop them short of force or by severly hampering there mission

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Tarquin is way too competent for a mere subplot villain. The Giant subverting another narrative convention?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    Then Tarquin would have known all along there was a drow posing as the elven ambassador. Interesting.
    Dang, I was about to post that.

5. - Top - End - #185

HalflingRangerGuy

Run, Nale, run, outrun my pun.
    Better run, better run, faster than my cleric...

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arakune View Post
    Tarquin is way too competent for a mere subplot villain. The Giant subverting another narrative convention?
    In case you haven't noticed, Tarquin seems to know about and makes plans to prevent all the tropes.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-12-09 at 10:45 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

That is easily the funniest strip I've seen in a while. I like Tarquin. He's becoming one of my favorite villains.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

If there is ever an OoTS movie, I vote Patrick Stewart for Tarquin.
    Moo!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

smile Re: OOTS #819 - The Discussion Thread

a strip that did a great job of adding to the story and delivering the best punch line in a long time :) , love the invisaNale running for dear life
    ---------------------------------------------------
    And it harm none, Do as you will

Proud Second Baker to the Fan Club

Kewl Avatar by someone who's name I forgot

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, Tarquin seems to know about and makes plans to prevent all the tropes.
    Well, just the ones he doesn't like. Evil is cool like that.

Your admiration makes me wonder just a little bit less why so many turn to evil.

Um, actually, I consistently test Neutral Good. I just appreciate style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: New comic title

Quote Originally Posted by morikahn View Post
    I think this comic's title should be changed from 'Parental Insight' to 'Parental Supervision'.
    +1

eight more characters

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The big question right now is:
    Will Tarquin let Nale escape or is he going to give chase?
    Because if he lets him run i would really wonder what Tarquin's plan with Nale is.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    So, what we know about Penelope other than her background with Draketooth is that she purged all Evil components out of the castle's hair product, she apparently was content with Tarquin enough that she'd tell him about her personal stuffs like having a "friend" finding out about Draketooth for her, and she gave Tarquin a useful magic item for his birthday.

Sounds like a decent person! Also, I believe she really did love Tarquin (Not many women wouldn't, if he put his mind to it) and he had nothing to do with her death.
    Penelope was Tarquin's 9th wife, it was his 8th wife that purged the Evil components out of the castle's hair products. If anything it could be argued that she was anything but a decent person. Every other one of Tarquin's wives mentioned thus far have had some issues with him or his alignment. Penelope is the first one revealed so far to show no indication of having a dislike for Tarquin (though to be fair, for all we know about Tarquin's 8th wife she could have simply purged the evil components due to what they did to her hair, and not because she had any moral compunctions about using them).

I do agree with you that Tarquin probably had nothing to do with her death. Though we have little information regarding their marriage, evidence so far suggests that they were happily married, or at least content with one another to the extent that neither tried to divorce and/or kill the other.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Remember when Elan and Tarquin first met? Tarquin asked Elan if he'd defeated any villains. Elan asked him if Nale counts, to which Tarquin responded "Eh.. Not really."

Now I know why.

15. - Top - End - #195

MindFlayer

Note that Malack still doesn't know Nale is right there at that moment.

By talking about Nale's vulnerability in general terms Tarquin can make things worse for both Malack and Nale. Well played mr. villain sir !

16. - Top - End - #196
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

over the strips that tarquin has been present he has gradually become my favorite character. I do hope he doesnt vanish into the background too far after this arc.
    we call dire animals monsters.... we call dire humans adventurers

17. - Top - End - #197

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    he didnt want to send them off per se but had no way to convince them to stay without revealing he knew Nale was there pre-mature
    Nale certainly has a lot of growing-up to do, if that's what you mean...
    Caractacus

18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    He may be like Haley's Dad: 2nd edition. That means up to 10 rings!
    Excuse me? I'm pretty sure the rule limit to two magic rings had always been in place in 2nd edition already, and probably even in 1st.

If you had ever known a GM allowing 10 magic rings, then you had a serious tool on your hands.

Me, as an old-school Dungeon Master, I can tell you that if any player had tried such a stunt in my game, his character would probably have lost about 8 out of 10 fingers rather quick.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sigh. While various logical reasons for Tarquin letting Nale go (in this) update have been pointed out (and none of them seem wrong or even unlikely), I'm sure part of Tarquin letting Nale run off like that is because of the former's love for the dramatic.

I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale. Nale is just such an annoying character. No matter the threat he poses (to Elan, to Tarquin, to the Order, to the world!) or the cunning and cruelty he's shown, he just doesn't compare with any of the other villains. Sure, he adds and pushes the story along, but he's just such an irritating character.

Compare him to his father: Tarquin is truly, horrifyingly Lawful Evil, an amazingly competent, intelligent, charming and dangerous adventurer, and yet also the World's Most Awesome Dad all rolled into one. He's such a deep, compelling and admirable character. We loved him when we finally got to meet him in the flesh, shared Elan's terror at realizing his true character and power, then loved him again in the previous update.

Nale is nowhere near any of that despite his high levels and intimate involvement in the plot as a side antagonist (where Xykon is the main). He pops up to complicate things (which, I admit, fleshes the story out more) but nothing more. It's so hard to appreciate him despite the antagonism he provides.

If only Tarquin would finally end him by taking away his one remaining hit point. But no, Tarquin will most likely not.

20. - Top - End - #200

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    ... unless he's out of all 4th-level-or-higher spell slots for the day, which is perhaps the answer to the question "why wasn't Dimension Door Nale's first action in the last panel?"
    Another reason is that it draws a circle (range of spell) that Nale is definitely inside of. Malack is going to be ready if Nale shows himself again.
    FTDWIR

21. - Top - End - #201

AssassinGuy

RUN, NALE!

Use your scrawny little stick legs!
    Thank you, Devil's Advocate for sending me this link so I can finally erase my old signature!

https://forums.giantitp.com/profile....=editsignature

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armadeo View Post
    I do agree with you that Tarquin probably had nothing to do with her death. Though we have little information regarding their marriage, evidence so far suggests that they were happily married, or at least content with one another to the extent that neither tried to divorce and/or kill the other.
    ...At least until she told him that she was going to try and find her first husband. One of the few things Tarquin seems to have in common with Nale (besides the evil, of course), is his willingness to take disproportionate revenge over quasi-imagined slights.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    ...At least until she told him that she was going to try and find her first husband. One of the few things Tarquin seems to have in common with Nale (besides the evil, of course), is his willingness to take disproportionate revenge over quasi-imagined slights.
    Except when he doesn't.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    For all we know a contingent of guards has already tracked down Enor and Ganji and filled them with poisoned crossbow bolts. Remember, he appeared to take it well enough the first time one of them tried to pull something on him.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

A Ring of True Seeing. This has to be a very expensive item, and the only person who can make one is surely in the dungeons of the Empire of Blood. After all, Tarquin would not want the secret of that item to fall into the hands of every two-bit adventurer (or even Nale).

Tarquin's smugness is the product of the fact that he is so sure of himself. And rightfully so.
    Thanks to Ceika for my avatar of Tobimaro.
    Ponytaur by the awesome Dirtytabs. Thanks!

My Dragons need your help. Please?

I now have a blog. Check it out!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

For some reason, I can see this happening:

-Nale escapes and is like, "Mwahahaha, the fool!"
    -Tarquin goes all "Everything is going according to plan."
    -Cut to Tarquin being on a TV and:
    Aw, it's so sad how he thinks he's such a chess master.
    Oh look, a finger pyramid of evil contemplation! How cute.
    I'd pity him if I weren't made of pure evil.

Maybe it's just because I'm getting sick of all this Tarquin love.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Maybe it's just because I'm getting sick of all this Tarquin love.
    The Tarquin love I don't mind, but all the "ZOMG genre saviness!!!1!one!" is really getting to me. There's at least half a dozen mentions of that in this thread alone, despite that the strip has NOTHING to do with genre conventions and is purely knowing his son and tactical thinking. I'm starting to think if "genre savvy" is code on these boards for "every possible reason anything happens" or something.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The Tarquin love I don't mind, but all the "ZOMG genre saviness!!!1!one!" is really getting to me. There's at least half a dozen mentions of that in this thread alone, despite that the strip has NOTHING to do with genre conventions and is purely knowing his son and tactical thinking. I'm starting to think if "genre savvy" is code on these boards for "every possible reason anything happens" or something.
    Don't complain too much, or the posters might go with "Deus ex Machina" all over again.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Try reading the first three panels again - there's plenty of genre savvy right there.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Guys, we know that Tarquin and Sons are basically the ultimate tropers--do you really think Tarq is gonna steal Malack's kill?

I'm expecting some sort of 1HP cherry-tap so that our (other ) cleric friend can do the honors.
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.