New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Party Issues, Need Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    What would you have done if they managed to kill it? I'm curious, because as a shaper psion, I love to have dragons around. Low touch AC and no poison immunity make them super tasty.
    It was over a year ago, closer to two. Party was only A Fighter/Rogue/Bloodtracker guy. Sorcerer 1/barbarian guy ( the one who likes to die) and a favoured soul. They were only level 5-7 vs a CR 20ish monster (Granted it WAS fighting another one of the same size)

If they had managed to hurt it up to 50% it would have ran (Big Dragons having lots of spells and such and the party couldn't fly) though I learned my lesson. I now ALWAYS have a plan/am aware that the PC's might suprise me and kill off anyone.

I've always believed that creatures with int higher then 4 will often chose to flee if it is a random encounter in the wilderness, unless psyco / trapped. If the monster has no strong reason for wanting the PC's dead other then "Hey tastey loot things just walked into my forrest"

I'd also like to point out that the PC's were warned that the "Dragon Wastes" are a death sentice and while people do go in there to raid all the old cities and tombs and such 90% of them die horrid horrid deaths.
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I don't give my monsters random immunities to counter the players. If the party does abuse one trick too often, though, inteligent enemies will start to hear about it and take precautions.
    Random encounters, though, won't.

a Great Wyrm anything, though, would be rather stunted if he didn't wear his horde as magic items.

3. - Top - End - #33

OldWizardGuy

OK, so the party went back for the Aboleth. After fighting the horde of 200 orcs, dealing with about 7 different traps, looting 4 or 5 chests full of treasure (One containing their old characters' equiptment), and levelling to 6.

They got to rolling initiative before running away.
    This time, the Aboleth knew who they were and where (Because Dominating an orc gives you some sensory input) and prepped just for them. Programmed image of one of them dying, phantasmal terrain to make the area look like a staircase, major image, illusionary wall. It looked like a dark stairwell with no water in it. In reality it was that same underground lake.

Party walks into the stairwell, get will saves. Orc Barbarian makes his, says there's water. People don't believe him, walk into the water. Now they're in the water with the Aboleth. He Dominates the goblin summoner. No instructions as of yet. Next round while they argue, he Veil's the goblin into an Invisible Stalker while a Programmed Image of the Goblin dying on the spot goes off.
    Party suspects Phantasmal killer, group up. Barbarian has to save VS dominate, fails. Two of the party now dominated, so instructions start. New will saves, fail. Party turns against itself.
    Then initiative gets rolled.

Being that the Aboleth had the barbarian and the only spellcaster, it was very quickly over, with a total rout. Then it made them drop their gold and some gear, and leave. Leave for 16 days.

They killed so many orcs, soldiered through so many traps, and got so much friggin' loot. But still can't beat that Aboleth.
    I have suggested they buy some items to give them Water Breathing, Freedom of Movement and True Seeing, but they don't want to blow money on one-shot items just to beat the Aboleth.

Will post again when they've hit Level>CR. Hopefully they'll put a plan together.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Wow........ are these guys just plain stupid or what? Aboleths are one of the most dangerous creatures at their CR, and they've lost to it twice now. The only reason they're even alive is because this is the single nicest aboleth that's ever lived. If they come back...... kill them. Kill them with extreme prejudice. Three strikes and you're out, ya know.

Edit: I just realized how harsh that sounds....... kill them anyway. I have very little sympathy for people that do stupid things.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-08-03 at 01:46 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #35

6. - Top - End - #36

OldWizardGuy

Last time they were in town, they bought two Golembane Scarabs.

Don't ask me why, I have no idea.

I suppose they may be trying something in town (Being set in the Tipyverse, the muscle of the Police force is Stone Golems, so there's that.)
    but there's been no indication of such so far. Unless they're plotting behind my back, which would be cool. A curveball like that would make my day, I'm honestly wondering how they'd intend to take on a lv 20 Sorceror and his army of golems, in that case.

But seriously. Two golembane scarabs, and they won't pay for a scroll of Mind Blank, True Seeing, Potion of Water Breathing, or Freedom of Movement.
    Give those buffs to the Barbarian, and the Aboleth would just die. Seriously, dude's got 36 STR, an AC of 30 (28 Raging, 26 Frenzied, 24 on a charge [assuming pounce]) and 85 HP. (plus Rage/Frenzy bonus HP). He'd just dice up the Aboleth in a single round. His average damage is 43, and he'd get two attacks.

The party KNOWS this, I've pointed it out, but they really don't want to pay the cash for single-use items. Figure that it's not worth that much effort.

They decided to go on a side-quest to capture some Lycanthropes until they've got enough cash to try against the Aboleth a third time. I'm really hoping they mean to purchase some single-shot items like the ones stated above. One of the party members is staying in town and crafting, two are out questing in the wilds, and one is in the town doing roleplay things.
    Next time they go for the Aboleth, they'll be level 7 or possibly higher. If they approach it again without being serious, it'll kill them.

As far as recurring enemies go, though, this thing's doing a very good job of getting them motivated, and running on the first round shows they've become properly cautious about it. No party member has even *Seen* the thing, yet, and they don't actually know IC what it is.
    That's actualy pretty difficult to do, make them feel awesome and heroic while still giving them something chalenging that requires serious thought and expense to defeat. I'm going to have to put a lot of thought into the Air-troll blind Oracle I intend to be the next boss, if they actually beat the Aboleth.

Edit: Yes, Protection from Alignment pots would make for a much easier time, are cheap enough that everyone can have one, and I'll have the Sorceror they work for bring it up when they bring back those Lycanthropes.
    Last edited by Acanous; 2012-08-03 at 02:53 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You know, it doesn't seem like you're playing D&D.
    I mean, one of the players requests the "boss" monster (maybe you're playing Mario Brothers?) and the DM states what CR the monsters will have. I read through the posts and it seems like a half solid adventure concept behind it but there rest sounds like you're playing "Kill the monsters and level up".
    There are other ways to solve that problem plausibly but it seems like you're trying to solve the wrong problem. Usually players who are emotionally invested with their characters don't throw them recklessly at the meanest monster around.
    Just saying.

8. - Top - End - #38

OldWizardGuy

There is a good ammount of roleplay going on, I've just glossed over the RP elements, as that's not presenting any difficulty. The Goblin Summoner, for example, is from an outlying goblin village that likes to waylay travellers. He has a thing for devouring the eyes of his kills (they're the best part) and he's risen to become cheif of his tribe (Although that doesn't actually provide much in a dungeon, goblins are rather cowardly- but it gives him a place to sleep, dedicated crafters, trackers, and access to other NPC's for free) after singlehandedly killing a werebear.
    The Half-Celestial monk is Kyankekee's champion of the arena, who wears wizardly garb and employs a number of alchemical items, as well as owning things like a spellbook and spell component pouch, in order to throw her opponents off into believing she's a wizard. She spends most of her free time studying various areas of knowledge, but also honing her body.
    The Kobold Rogue is a trapsmith who makes his living by capturing dangerous animals, and he hates actually being involved in combat. He likes to hide from most things bigger than himself, but makes friendly with other small creatures, like the party's goblin summoner.
    The Half-Fiend Blood orc is playing kill monsters and level up.

Many of the encounters so far have been RP based, like the werebear tribe. (it was supposed to be a difficult decision, weather to capture one of the L/G werebears who had helped the party and shared food and shelter, or let them go and lose out on the reward. The party ambushed 'em in their sleep :/)

Anyhow, I do admit I've been playing with the kid gloves for the most part. My orc slaves, for example, have been using "Poor quality" Falchions (1d8 damage, 20*2 crit range) and a number of the encounters have been things like "Party ambushes orcs in a bathroom", "Party ambushes goblins having supper" etc.
    The Aboleth in particular is about as jarring as waterboarding the party after a day at disneyland.

There ARE boss monsters in the game, just as there's a boss in most real-life situations. Kyankekee is the boss of Underburrow(City), the Aboleth is the boss of the gem mines. The goblin party member is the boss of a small goblin tribe. You always have someone in charge, and in almost every situation they're going to have more resources than the people under them.
    In a fantasy setting, they're also going to be in better health, usually stronger and better educated, as well.
    I don't see the problem with the terminology here.

Edit: To inject some of the Roleplay I've had, there was a hook where Duke Marsis expressed some displeasure over Kyankekee's selection of champion, but he quickly kowtowed to the sorceror. This is, of course, because the duke doesn't have the power to challenge the gnome, but he disagrees with some of the policies around town.
    Also, the place is a little more than Dystopian. Most of the population is kept oppressed and distracted. There's a colloseum to sate their dissatisfication, and while the general public have their basic needs met, most have never actually seen the sun, and are treated like property.
    (That has not been followed up on by the party)
    Then there's Kyankekee's plan. He's big into Eugenics. If you've read up on the Emerald Legion, you'd get the gist of his plan for conquest. He's Chaotic Evil, masquerading as some form of neutral. Most of the party thinks of him as a pretty good guy, because he's the one backing them, but there've been some pretty...sick hints that something's not right. Like when that werebear they captured was next seen, he'd become female and was being used as a *Ahem* Breeder for the project.

The players think the Gnome is just a pervert.
    There's layers and reasoning behind the plot, it's just going to take time to be explored.
    Last edited by Acanous; 2012-08-03 at 05:33 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

So, is there a reason the aboleth let them go?

If there is not, you should make one. Otherwise your just letting your players do whatever they want.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Seems like you out a lot of time and effort into this campaign and it will be a shame to have it bungled by game mechanics and/or inexperienced players. This sort of an adventure needs continuity of characters (otherwise the newcomers have to come up with weirder and weirder reasons to join) so you need some kind of means to enhance the PCs' ability to survive.
    There are plenty of ways to do that without breaking the suspense of disbelief and in your case I'd leave the "wise NPC" option out because the PCs will probably resent it.
    Maybe you can go with some automatic raise dead with some artifact or whatever.

11. - Top - End - #41

This...is a disturbing thread. This monster has the patience of a saint.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Actually yeah why does the Aboleth let them go?

13. - Top - End - #43

OldWizardGuy

I'm AFB and AFN at the moment, so I can't remember the term, but there's a magic item property on a sword.
    Kyankekee gave the party a magical, +2 sword when they started the adventure, part of the parcel of them being his personal enforcers.
    This sword has a special property- whenever a certain spell is cast at the sword, or at the sword's weilder, that spell is instead absorbed by the sword, and the weilder can cast it as a free action afterward.
    The spell keyed to that sword is Wish.

So it's worth something like 100,000 GP.
    The players haven't done that much damage around the Aboleth's lair. They've killed a bunch of orc slaves, yeah, but they've also dropped equiptment and gold, including that sword, and it's actually still in the black. (Because two adventurers have died, and two had to empty out all their gold, all in it's lair.)

So far, the Aboleth has been in no danger from these incursions. It's been making cash. Why wouldn't it let them leave and come back? They don't seem to have access to True Seeing, they're very easilly defeated by dominate monster, they have no Swim speed.

If there was an annoying person who came to your house every 2 weeks, made a mess, broke some furniture, and dropped a few grand in your bedroom, would you beat the tar out of him, or start shopping at Ikea?

Well, the Aboleth decided to do the latter. When the Adventurers stop being profitable, it'll kill them.

@Vrigar: That's actually taken care of. Kyankekee will hold another arena bout if too many if his current enforcers die, and get a new one that way. Then it's "Here's your fresh meat. Newbie, you're with these guys now."
    Which isn't a great thing, as people still lose attatchment to their characters, but it does lend some reality to the campaign. They are the CHOSEN ONES. Chosen, by THAT GUY, who rules the city!...he just chooses new guys when the old ones die.
    Last edited by Acanous; 2012-08-03 at 08:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    Actually yeah why does the Aboleth let them go?
    Because minions are disposable, and it's more fun to toy with them than to kill them outright.

That'd be my guess.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Because minions are disposable, and it's more fun to toy with them than to kill them outright.

That'd be my guess.
    Or because TPKs are not fun and the DM wanted to avoid it.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Or because TPKs are not fun and the DM wanted to avoid it.
    That's the ooc reason. I was shooting for something ic. *shrugs*

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hmm.. for in-game, I suggest that it wanted to draw attention from an old enemy, so he left the PCs go, to give out the info that "an aboleth is there". Next time the PCs come back, they are charmed to go directly to said enemy of aboleth. Said enemy finds out and dispels the charm, and invites them to join forces and take revenge with him.

(because we can all see the 5th time coming )

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Orc View Post
    Hmm.. for in-game, I suggest that it wanted to draw attention from an old enemy, so he left the PCs go, to give out the info that "an aboleth is there". Next time the PCs come back, they are charmed to go directly to said enemy of aboleth. Said enemy finds out and dispels the charm, and invites them to join forces and take revenge with him.

(because we can all see the 5th time coming )
    Deus ex machina? ewww......

That's an 'interesting' idea, but they don't know that the enemy is an aboleth in-character, if I read correctly.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Deus ex machina? ewww......

That's an 'interesting' idea, but they don't know that the enemy is an aboleth in-character, if I read correctly.
    Well, telling them out of game what potions/spells they need to use is worse, I think also I bet the aboleth didn't know they would return the first time, so farming them isn't a good excuse. And offering to pay them to leave only makes it worse.

I don't know, if they haven't figured that out after so many tries, I would start giving exp to the aboleth

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    If there was an annoying person who came to your house every 2 weeks, made a mess, broke some furniture, and dropped a few grand in your bedroom, would you beat the tar out of him, or start shopping at Ikea?
    That's frackin' genius.

I'm picturing the aboleth starting an "adventurer baiting" service: hang out near a town or small city, use illusions and dominate to start rumors of an evil orc/goblin tribe in the area, then sit back and wait for the lowbies to come bearing gifts.
    Maybe he'll even expand his services to other monsters.

Aboleth: Hello there, Mr. Adult Black Dragon, what can I help you with today?
    Adult Black Dragon: Well, it's kind of personal, but I seem to be having some some adventurer issues. My lair's been raided twice in two months, and I'm worried that my lady-dragon friend will think my "hoard" is too small.
    Ab: No problem, we'll get you fixed right up; now what kind of adventurer group do you think you can safely handle?
    ABD: Oh, probably 17th or 18th, level, easily!
    Ab: Are you sure? There's no need to be reckless about this, I can get you at least 3 lower level groups a month and it adds up quickly. You're lady-friend won't like it if you get turned into a Draco-lich trying to impress her.
    ABD: Oh alright, 15th level then, but only because the clerics are so tough to chew.
    Ab: Excellent, let me take down your information and I'll have the first group at your doorstep in 10 days or less, or your money back!
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2012-08-03 at 09:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

You said one of them was playing a half-fiend BLOOD ORC? As in, this monstrosity?
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/mon...orcs/orc-blood

+8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -4 Wisdom, -4 Charisma. Blood orcs are brutal and savage.
    Darkvision: Blood orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
    Scent: Blood orcs can detect enemies and other creatures by scent. Ferocity Light Sensitivity
    Natural Weapons: Blood orcs can make a bite (1d4) as a secondary attack.
    Special Attacks: Frenzy (see left).
    Languages: Blood orcs begin play speaking Common and Orc. Blood orcs with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Giant, Goblin.

Frenzy (Ex)

Once per day a blood orc who smells or tastes blood during combat may fly into a frenzy in the following round, biting and attacking with its weapons until it or its opponent is dead. It gains +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, and -2 AC. The creature cannot end its frenzy voluntarily.

Dude... if you converted this to 3.5, you'd easily have +2 or 3 LA from the stat adjustments alone. Half-Fiend in Pathfinder is also slightly better than 3.5, so this should not be playable. The will save would suck, yes, but... come on.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
    Last edited by Thump; 2012-08-03 at 09:23 PM.
    please note that incoherent posting is incoherent.
    -Kymme gets all the credit for my current avatar. ALL OF IT.-
    Sig-of-avatars is a GO!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by OneCalledBlue; Genderbent Ithlikar

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

The party KNOWS this, I've pointed it out, but they really don't want to pay the cash for single-use items. Figure that it's not worth that much effort.
    Either your party is unbelievably stupid and expects you to molly-coddle them, or,

As far as recurring enemies go, though, this thing's doing a very good job of getting them motivated, and running on the first round shows they've become properly cautious about it.
    they are deeply subtle and prolonging the most enjoyable part of the game.

Probably a bit of both.

I think the take away lesson is: every game needs a monster the PCs can't beat, but doesn't kill them. D&D totally is not set up for this; it's all win-or-die, all the dang time. Still, it is the DM's number one task: create a foe too strong for the PCs to beat, because this kind of challenge automatically motivates them.

24. - Top - End - #54

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thump View Post
    Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

You said one of them was playing a half-fiend BLOOD ORC? As in, this monstrosity?
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/mon...orcs/orc-blood

+8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -4 Wisdom, -4 Charisma. Blood orcs are brutal and savage.
    Darkvision: Blood orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
    Scent: Blood orcs can detect enemies and other creatures by scent. Ferocity Light Sensitivity
    Natural Weapons: Blood orcs can make a bite (1d4) as a secondary attack.
    Special Attacks: Frenzy (see left).
    Languages: Blood orcs begin play speaking Common and Orc. Blood orcs with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Giant, Goblin.

Frenzy (Ex)

Once per day a blood orc who smells or tastes blood during combat may fly into a frenzy in the following round, biting and attacking with its weapons until it or its opponent is dead. It gains +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, and -2 AC. The creature cannot end its frenzy voluntarily.

Dude... if you converted this to 3.5, you'd easily have +2 or 3 LA from the stat adjustments alone. Half-Fiend in Pathfinder is also slightly better than 3.5, so this should not be playable. The will save would suck, yes, but... come on.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
    That's the one, it's how he got his STR so high.

So! I don't actually have a name for this Aboleth, or much of a backstory. He was one of a selection of possible bosses that my players picked.
    I really didn't know they'd love him so much that he'd become their recurring villain, but it really seems they won't be killing him any time soon.

If you all want to name the Aboleth, or give him some backstory for me, I'll go ahead and incorporate it.
    So far, all we know about him is that he lives in an underground lake inside a mountain, fed by meltwater, with a secret exit to a swamp outside.
    Also that he has a number of orcish slaves, with some dominated trolls to keep them in line.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Steve the aboleth never really cared much about senseless killing-he just wanted to get rich. All the other aboleths just seemed to want as many slaves as possible for the sake of having slaves, and what's worse is they turned them into these slimy frog-like things. That never appealed to Steve in the least, he just wanted to make some money and live his days out somewhere nice. So, to make his dream a reality he came down from his ancestral aboleth home and started his own surefire scheme to get the cash rolling in. He swam down the underground river channels and set himself up in a small pond at the end of an old cave.

His plan was to get as many evil and semi-weak creatures as possible under his control, steal all of their nice things and hide them underwater back up the river a little bit, leaving the creatures even weaker. He then planned to find a way to broadcast their existence so adventurers would come to kill them. Being weak creatures in great quantity he felt assured that any adventurers that came would be lower level ones looking for treasure and experience, although he didn't figure that in character because that would be metagame. Being low level they were also likely to be unable to see past illusions, so he would set up a trap at the end of the cave using illusions and defeat the adventurers to take their gear. However, he wouldn't kill them unless necessary, because he reasoned that once they had been defeated they were sure to come back, giving him more easy loot.

All the other aboleths back home had told Steve he was crazy and that his plan would never work. Normally, they'd be right, but Steve happened into the one cave near the one town with the one group of adventurers able to actually make his dream a reality, and they were more than happy to unwittingly oblige. Having defeated them twice with minimal casualties, Steve is now considering early retirement. He has a grand amount of low-level loot from all the orcs and assorted generic monsters he keeps luring in, and quite a trove of treasure from the adventurers that played into his plan. If he's lucky he'll generate enough income from the next encounter to leave the cave without a trace, taking his treasure with him, and retire to a nice beach somewhere. Not on the beach of course, because people would try to kill him, but under it, where he can still dominate people and cause all sorts of trouble and laugh.
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Obviously there may be bits you need to adjust to keep it consistent with your campaign and plans, but it's my contribution.
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

27. - Top - End - #57

OldWizardGuy

The Aboleth is now named Steve.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The Aboleth is now named Steve.
    Because his aboleth born name was so long many humanoids went insane before finishing it so he shortened it

29. - Top - End - #59

OldWizardGuy

Of course. In his language, it's a series of burbles, gutteral tones, and subvocal inflection. It is a word from when the gods were young, one so subtle and beautiful, it tears at the minds of lesser creatures what hear it.
    In your pathetic dirt-loving tongues, you'll have to settle with Steve.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Of course. In his language, it's a series of burbles, gutteral tones, and subvocal inflection. It is a word from when the gods were young, one so subtle and beautiful, it tears at the minds of lesser creatures what hear it.
    In your pathetic dirt-loving tongues, you'll have to settle with Steve.
    This is heavily reminiscent of the DDO mindflayer who goes by the name of Fred when among "pathetic lightdwellers".

As such, I fully approve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity