New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XI - Can Now Argue Three Times Per Page

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I've dropped the assumption that Wormhole is a level 9 power. It just felt so obvious to me that I jumped the gun on it. Now the highest confirmed power of Laurin's is Disintegrate.
    Wormhole might not be a level 9 power, but I am pretty sure augmenting it to transport an entire army cost at least 17 power points. I haven't seen anyone argue otherwise.

You can spend only a total number of points on a power equal to your manifester level.
    Last edited by DaveMcW; 2013-11-04 at 04:40 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcW View Post
    Wormhole might not be a level 9 power, but I am pretty sure augmenting it to transport an entire army cost at least 17 power points. I haven't seen anyone argue otherwise.

You can spend only a total number of points on a power equal to your manifester level.
    Well since it's functionally similar to Gate, we can take a look at its duration, namely "Concentration, up to 1 round/level". This is guesswork, but it would make sense that Wormhole would have a similar duration, so the main question is how many rounds did it take for the army to march through. If Wormhole was augmented, then it would most likely have been for its width. But Gate also includes variable dimensions in its description. It all depends on what is included in the manifestation of Wormhole.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Incidentally, I agree with you that it is 9th level like Gate.

But for those who do not, I am arguing that the big Wormhole is still evidence that Laurin is 17+.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Ditto, plus I'm not sure why we can't just list him as "dead".
    "Missing in action" would qualify too, since it's not totally implausible that he became trapped on the wrong side of the gate when Soon ordered Dorukan to seal it.
    And once again, Probability proves itself willing to sneak into a back alley and service Drama as would a copper-piece harlot.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorukan s listed with (Deceased, SoD) - which is certainly true because he died in SoD.

But wouldn't it be better to provide an online-strip source that he is dead? Since there is at least one which states that he is dead, that would be easy to change: In 196 the dialogue in the first panel states that Xykon has killed Dorukan. (If we have one for Lirian imo the same applies, but I don't know if it was stated online)

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    "Missing in action" would qualify too, since it's not totally implausible that he became trapped on the wrong side of the gate when Soon ordered Dorukan to seal it.
    Missing: Presumed Dead would be the more accurate phrasing. But the whole "do we know for sure" question seems unpopular with some posters.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

What's crazy is that we've been told explicitly in comic that Kraagor died and people don't want to put it up, but the evidence we have for Girard's death is they found somebody's skeleton and Haley said 'yeah probably Girard'.

To list one as deceased and the other as missing in action on the basis that for plot reasons if Girard was live we probably would have seen him by now is to defy the whole purpose of this thread - either both are dead or both are missing: presumed dead.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2013-11-04 at 03:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    What's crazy is that we've been told explicitly in comic that Kraagor died and people don't want to put it up, but the evidence we have for Girard's death is they found somebody's skeleton and Haley said 'yeah probably Girard'.
    While I agree with both being dead (at least for the purpose of this thread), a large part of evidence for Girard's death is also Familicide. It is a really overpowered spell and Girard needs a good reason to life through it.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #159

MindFlayer

What, no discussion of 928 yet?

1) Add Horrid Wilting and Contingency to Miron, almost-but-not-quite cementing him as a wizard

2) Discussion on Laurin's power? I favor Ultrablast at first, but someone suggested that should have killed Belkar outright.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Laurin has an unspecified healing power.

Whatever the power is that Laurin used in the last panel, also needs to target Tarquin, which rules a lot of them out.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #161
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post

Whatever the power is that Laurin used in the last panel, also needs to target Tarquin, which rules a lot of them out.
    I no longer have Complete Psionic, but there was a very augmentable healing power that could be picked up via expanded knowledge there.

Though, does it NEED to also target Tarquin? He was not visibly damaged.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2013-11-04 at 06:02 PM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

12. - Top - End - #162
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    I no longer have Complete Psionic, but there was a very augmentable healing power that could be picked up via expanded knowledge there.

He's got the glowy bits around his head that makes it look like something's happening.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Ramien View Post
    He's got the glowy bits around his head that makes it look like something's happening.
    Not in the panel where she's casting a healing power, though.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post

I was talking about two separate powers there.

I've seen references to chaining powers. Chaining to Tarquin to reach others, confident that Tarquin will easily make whatever save makes sense. Especially if he has Spell/Power resistance. Doubly so if they've pulled off this maneuver before.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Looking at Tarquin's face, I think he was pretty clear that he would be immune to the power Laurin dished out and was okay with it hitting him.

Perhaps it's some sort of nightmare power? I'm sure there are psionics out there that can cause it. If so, Tarquin's Ring of True Seeing could have prevented it from affecting him.

With Miron having Contingency, he's got to be an arcane caster. Probably Sorcerer, since he's a big ditz. Horrid Wilting is possible for water domain clerics, but contingency is all arcane. Although if he could cast that Teleport, why did Laurin need to open a Wormhole? Kilkil, perhaps?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Matt620 View Post
    Looking at Tarquin's face, I think he was pretty clear that he would be immune to the power Laurin dished out and was okay with it hitting him.

Perhaps it's some sort of nightmare power? I'm sure there are psionics out there that can cause it. If so, Tarquin's Ring of True Seeing could have prevented it from affecting him.
    Psionic Blast, perhaps? That would plausibly explain why nobody (and in particular, Belkar) isn't injured further by it, but everyone except Tarquin and Durkula has a pained expression on their face. The yellow "rays" could also be a visual presentation of "the air ripples with the force of your mental attack".

17. - Top - End - #167

Most things that'd give Tarquin immunity to any of the candidate powers would work for all candidate powers.

Psionic Blast is the wrong shape, though, it's a cone and this affected people in a burst from what we can see.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    What, no discussion of 928 yet?

1) Add Horrid Wilting and Contingency to Miron, almost-but-not-quite cementing him as a wizard.
    Thanks to contingency, Miron must be an arcane caster. Thanks to horrid wilting, Miron must be level 15 or higher (time to add him to the first post, or should we wait for confirmation of his class?). Which means the spell his contingency activated was almost certainly teleport. Does that in turn mean that Miron knows teleport? Does your contingent spell have to be a spell you know?

I think body adjustment fits rather well, don't you?
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-11-04 at 06:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Thanks to horrid wilting, Miron is now level 15 or greater. Which means the spell his contingency activated was almost certainly teleport. Does that in turn mean that Miron know
    Contingency
    Evocation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 6
    Components: V, S, M, F
    Casting Time: At least 10 minutes; see text
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: One day/level (D) or until discharged
    You can place another spell upon your person so that it comes into effect under some condition you dictate when casting contingency. The contingency spell and the companion spell are cast at the same time. The 10-minute casting time is the minimum total for both castings; if the companion spell has a casting time longer than 10 minutes, use that instead.

The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level).

The conditions needed to bring the spell into effect must be clear, although they can be general. In all cases, the contingency immediately brings into effect the companion spell, the latter being “cast” instantaneously when the prescribed circumstances occur. If complicated or convoluted conditions are prescribed, the whole spell combination (contingency and the companion magic) may fail when called on. The companion spell occurs based solely on the stated conditions, regardless of whether you want it to.

You can use only one contingency spell at a time; if a second is cast, the first one (if still active) is dispelled.

Material Component
    That of the companion spell, plus quicksilver and an eyelash of an ogre mage, rakshasa, or similar spell-using creature.

Focus
    A statuette of you carved from elephant ivory and decorated with gems (worth at least 1,500 gp). You must carry the focus for the contingency to work.
    Does casting from a scroll fit that definition?

I think body adjustment fits rather well, don't you?
    I'll have to look at that when I'm not about to run out the door. But at first glance, it seems right.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-11-04 at 06:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Banned

No idea. That's why I asked

21. - Top - End - #171

Contingency can be used in conjunction with UMD, so yes, scrolls work.

Though I must express that I feel it exceedingly unlikely that Mr. Burlew would let someone do that.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2013-11-04 at 06:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

If Miron's spell was teleport, he must be Lvl 15 minimum, since teleport is 5 and Contingency requires the spell to be 1/3 your level or less.

Miron may not have chosen to specialize in a school: He's cast Abjuration (GDM), Evocation (Contingency), Conjuration (Teleporting spell for said contigency, and that mage armor type spell from blocking Haley's arrow) and Necromancy (Horrid Wilting). Since you can't choose divination to lose, that might be a thought

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'll have to look at that when I'm not about to run out the door. But at first glance, it seems right.

That only works on yourself, though. Maybe I read the wrong thing, but it looked to me like Laurin was healing all three of them.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Matt620 View Post
    That only works on yourself, though. Maybe I read the wrong thing, but it looked to me like Laurin was healing all three of them.
    Laurin's dweomer only manifested around herself. If she had been healing Miron and Tarquin as well, her dweomer would have manifested around them.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth zimmerwald1915:

There's no particular reason to believe Belkar succeeded on his Fortitude save.
    There's even less reason to believe he failed. All of his levels are in classes that have good Fort progression, he has at least two such classes, he probably has decent Con, and there are a lot of things you can do to boost a save that you know is coming (Rage, Resistance, Guidance, maybe Conviction if the Azure City clerics use Spell Compendium, etc.). Yes, either one is possible (if nothing else, saves auto-succeed or fail on a natural 20 or 1), but we're definitely not certain he failed.

On Miron, all we can say for sure is that he has some sort of teleportation power. It could be Teleport, or it could be something like Dimension Door maximum range straight up (a common Contingency choice).

On Laurin, while I personally agree that transporting the army would require at least a 17 PP expenditure, I don't think that that matches the standards of this thread. Consider that we didn't even use his genocidal sacrifice-farm plans as evidence of his alignment-- If that's not proof, then neither is "Yup, that power looks pretty powerful".

On the big blasty power she's using this strip, is it possible that it's something that affects both enemies and allies, but in a different way? There are a few spells that do that, such as Prayer, but I don't know if there are any powers. And I'm guessing that it's a fear effect, from the look on Belkar's face.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

26. - Top - End - #176

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    There's even less reason to believe he failed. All of his levels are in classes that have good Fort progression, he has at least two such classes, he probably has decent Con, and there are a lot of things you can do to boost a save that you know is coming (Rage, Resistance, Guidance, maybe Conviction if the Azure City clerics use Spell Compendium, etc.). Yes, either one is possible (if nothing else, saves auto-succeed or fail on a natural 20 or 1), but we're definitely not certain he failed.
    Does he still get the Con bonus after being blood drained? 'Cause that's Constitution damage.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    Does he still get the Con bonus after being blood drained? 'Cause that's Constitution damage.
    Does it matter? Chronos was referring to the abortive discussion of whether Belkar kept the level Tsukiko's wight drained off him almost two books ago.

28. - Top - End - #178

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Does it matter? Chronos was referring to the abortive discussion of whether Belkar kept the level Tsukiko's wight drained off him almost two books ago.
    Oh, then carry on. The mention of Laurin and Miron in that same post threw me off on the timeline.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Shreav View Post
    Psionic Blast, perhaps? That would plausibly explain why nobody (and in particular, Belkar) isn't injured further by it, but everyone except Tarquin and Durkula has a pained expression on their face. The yellow "rays" could also be a visual presentation of "the air ripples with the force of your mental attack".
    Durkon doesn't have a pained expression, but he does have a shocked one (the same as Belkar, in fact, except that his mouth isn't open). Given his notable lack of reaction to most things since being vamped, I'd take that as strong evidence he was also affected.

Can we guess anything about what Miron's dodge effect in panel 4 is representing?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'm surprised Miron and Jucinda the catgirl aren't up yet for Team Tarquin. Is it because their classes haven't been confirmed yet?
    Last edited by Slayer Lord; 2013-11-04 at 07:50 PM.