New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1461
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Mythos Inspired Homebrew Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    With an intimidating flex of your muscles, you make your weapons disobey their own forms to exact foreign pain on your foes.
    I think you're over-thinking this. Couldn't it be as simple as altering the way you hold and strike with the weapon?
    Last edited by Primal Fury; 2014-07-05 at 07:52 AM.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #1202

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    I think you're over-thinking this. Couldn't it be as simple as altering the way you hold and strike with the weapon?
    That makes sense, like striking with the flat of the blade, or stabbing with the point.

3. - Top - End - #1203

By the way guys, here's a Basic Manifestation for 'A Kiss Too Deep For Love'.

Spoiler: Basic Manifestation
    Show
    Irresistible Come-Hither Gleam: You gain a gaze attack that Dazes those who meet your eyes for one round, unless they succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + Class Level/2 + Charisma Modifier). By purchasing this manifestation a second time, you may elect to have any number of those who fail their will save against your gaze attack spend their next turn moving toward you; if necessary, they use both of their move actions to do so. If you use your kiss attack on a character affected by this manifestation, you do not provoke an attack of opportunity from them, or anyone else affected by it. You can only use this gaze attack once every 1d4 rounds.

How does it feel? Should that second purchase be necessary, or would it be fine to get both abilities with a single purchase? Keep in mind that, whenever your opponents fail a will save against you, the the DCs of the rest of your abilities increase. What about the wording? It sounds a LITTLE janky to me, but I'm not so sure if it needs changing.

Hm... One thing that needs doing is consolidation. Many of these abilities are state-based; I'm thinking of putting everything together under the umbrella of the "Submissive State". This will cover every state mentioned in the 'Skin-Shredding Flagellation' mythos, as well as the Infatuated state and a few others.
    Last edited by Primal Fury; 2014-07-05 at 11:13 AM.
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Firbolg in the Playground

I suppose. It's less awesome, though.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Barbarian in the Playground

I suppose. It's less awesome, though.
    While I do agree that the image of a warrior angrily glaring at his blade until it turns into a mallet is amusing, the Bellator's main shtick appears to currently be "Amazing, but low-key". The Bellator is not suddenly going to sprout wings and fly, but he will jump so high and so far that for all practical uses he is able to fly (getting over a 60-foot gap in the floor, for instance).
    This, I believe, is the same logic that makes the limitation on what kinds of Martial Disciplines he can take exist; nothing he does is outright magical, but it is always fantastic.
    Hercules and Beowulf couldn't breathe fire, but they could choke-slam a giant to death; Odysseus isn't going to start casting Moment of Prescience and True Strike on a whim, but he can string and fire an oversized bow through 10 axe-heads in less than two minutes.
    The only outright-magical ability that they seem to have at the moment is 'make magic weapons' and 'fight my way out of the afterlife and back into the Material Plane'.

6. - Top - End - #1206

By the way guys, here's a Basic Manifestation for 'A Kiss Too Deep For Love'.

Spoiler: Basic Manifestation
    Show
    Irresistible Come-Hither Gleam: You gain a gaze attack that Dazes those who meet your eyes for one round, unless they succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + Class Level/2 + Charisma Modifier). By purchasing this manifestation a second time, you may elect to have any number of those who fail their will save against your gaze attack spend their next turn moving toward you; if necessary, they use both of their move actions to do so. If you use your kiss attack on a character affected by this manifestation, you do not provoke an attack of opportunity from them, or anyone else affected by it. You can only use this gaze attack once every 1d4 rounds.

How does it feel? Should that second purchase be necessary, or would it be fine to get both abilities with a single purchase? Keep in mind that, whenever your opponents fail a will save against you, the the DCs of the rest of your abilities increase. What about the wording? It sounds a LITTLE janky to me, but I'm not so sure if it needs changing.

Hm... One thing that needs doing is consolidation. Many of these abilities are state-based; I'm thinking of putting everything together under the umbrella of the "Submissive State". This will cover every state mentioned in the 'Skin-Shredding Flagellation' mythos, as well as the Infatuated state and a few others.
    Adding a gaze attack seems like a bit much for a manifestation of an existing mythos. As in, it could probably be expanded into it's own supplementary mythos. It is a little wordy toward the end, maybe just state that it disables their ability to make AoO's during the effect due to how fixated they are on your eyes?

7. - Top - End - #1207

Quote Originally Posted by Nanoblack View Post
    Adding a gaze attack seems like a bit much for a manifestation of an existing mythos. As in, it could probably be expanded into it's own supplementary mythos.
    I'm... not sure about this. I thought it was fine considering the effect of the gaze attack. I suppose I COULD turn it into it's own Mythos, but I made it with the express purpose of getting people far away to come closer so you could use your kiss on them.

It is a little wordy toward the end, maybe just state that it disables their ability to make AoO's during the effect due to how fixated they are on your eyes?
    I can do that.

On an unrelated note, all these Mythos make me want to finally make a Magic the Gathering Planeswalker class. So there's that.
    Last edited by Primal Fury; 2014-07-05 at 05:02 PM.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #1208

I'm... not sure about this. I thought it was fine considering the effect of the gaze attack. I suppose I COULD turn it into it's own Mythos, but I made it with the express purpose of getting people far away to come closer so you could use your kiss on them.
    I'd say it makes just as much sense to make it a supplementary Mythos, requiring both the Kissing one and the Hexing Evil-Eye one; by combining the two, you make something completely new!

9. - Top - End - #1209

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1949 View Post
    I'd say it makes just as much sense to make it a supplementary Mythos, requiring both the Kissing one and the Hexing Evil-Eye one; by combining the two, you make something completely new!
    What are you talking about exactly? The Malefica? Because this is something entirely different. Although... some kind of evil glare to cow people into submission WOULD be useful and thematically appropriate. Hm...
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #1210

What are you talking about exactly? The Malefica? Because this is something entirely different. Although... some kind of evil glare to cow people into submission WOULD be useful and thematically appropriate. Hm...
    ... I seem to have confused your Malefica and your latest class, and thought they were the same. My bad.

Perhaps it is a subtle hint that I want to see either in a playable state?

11. - Top - End - #1211

Alright, I rewrote the beginning. I'm not sure I'm happy with the wording, so I might come back to that in a bit, but for now, that should do it.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I have an idea for an Epic PrC for the Bellator, much in the same vain as what the Holocaust Sun is to the Teramach, but I'm having a hard time coming with Prerequisites that would work-out with the Bellator. I was thinking levels of Bard or Monk. Anyone got any Ideas? Designing classes is something I'm relatively new too.

13. - Top - End - #1213

Quote Originally Posted by 7th son of sons View Post
    I have an idea for an Epic PrC for the Bellator, much in the same vain as what the Holocaust Sun is to the Teramach, but I'm having a hard time coming with Prerequisites that would work-out with the Bellator. I was thinking levels of Bard or Monk. Anyone got any Ideas? Designing classes is something I'm relatively new too.
    What's the theme/story of the class?
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

What's the theme/story of the class?
    In the Bellator's Flavour text, it talks about how the Iron Mythos have a defined beginning, a point of origin from which their story would begin to be written. So the class idea I had was someone who could glimpse there History, could see the Origins of the Iron-Mythos, someone who understood the way the story is being written, and what they where, what they where capable of: Of standing toe-to-toe, tit for tat with these most Primal, Original living things, even if they don't fully comprehend what these things are. Knowing that while the Teramach, the Olethrofex, and all the others draw there power from some distant, esoteric conflux of past deeds, the Bellator forges his own legend, and gets by on his own strength of will, as well as his strength of arms. They are, in some ways, authors of this story that is still being written, where as your average Bellator could be considered more akin to words, sentences, or at best Pages in the story. The theme is discipline, of extreme self control, of being able to put your entire being into the fight, thinking not of the consequences of defeat, but of the knowledge and glory gained from your inevitable victory. It's knowing that wherever you travel, there will be conflict, not necessarily one that you brought about, but because there will always be some type of conflict, and it is what you thrive on. Where the Holocaust Sun draws his power from his raw Strength and his Might, this yet-unnamed class draws his power from his Skill and his Determination.
    Last edited by 7th son of sons; 2014-07-06 at 02:09 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestfury View Post
    Oooh... that's a nice Mythos Kymme, Frothing-Bladesman Riposte can be very deadly with a TWFing build... wonder how it works with Gambit.

Also, I am proud to pronounce my fully named Bellator Mythos

Spoiler: Seeking the Lifeblood
    Show
    [Fantastic]
    Prerequisite: Thousand-Armed Weaponmaster Intuition exceptional mythos, Knowledge Devotion.

As the Bellator’s knowledge of fighting and creatures improve, they begin to see way’s of injuring their enemies in much strong, more significant ways, as well as finding ways past their defences. When facing an enemy, a Bellator can make a spot-check against the enemies AC as a free action. If they pass, they get a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to 1/3 of their level. In addition, if the enemy is normally immune to critical hits, you can bypass that immunity. For each 5 points above the enemy's AC, increase the bonus to attack, damage by one.

Basic:

Hunger for the Blood: The Bellator specializes in powerful, devastating wounds. Whenever you succeed with the spot check, double your critical range, and increase your critical modifier by 1. For every 10 points above the enemy's AC, increase your critical range and modifier by 1

Hounding the Lifeblood: Whenever you successfully succeed with the spot check, you may ignore abilities that stop you from denying the enemy their AC. For every 5 points above the enemies AC, you may reduce their AC by 2 when you attack them.

Focusing down the enemy: You may instead make a spot-check as a move action, instead of a free action. If successful, choose and apply one of the following effects: All of your attacks target the enemies touch AC, or, whenever you successfully damage an enemy, they take 1 point of Dex or Strength damage.

Advanced:
    Lifeblood Master Hunter: Chose a second basic manifestation

Group Hunting: After succeeding with the spot check, you can share this bonus to your allies for the rest of the encounter as a swift action.
    Thanks! Frothing-Bladesman Riposte is meant to be pretty deadly, but I added a little addendum that the bonus to damage doesn't stack with itself. That way you couldn't take like 5 attacks from some monster and then leap back at it with like +80 damage. There is nothing, however, stopping you from gaining the bonus damage against multiple people who attacked you last round.

Here's a new bellator excellency. Tell me what you think.

Quality-Muting Prowess
    Prerequisite: -

Every strike is a learning experience, an ordeal through which the bellator becomes better and more skilled. By applying force to different parts of a weapon, swinging it differently, or simply hitting a target very hard, the bellator finds new uses for his favorite tools.

Any weapon you wield is capable of dealing any combination of piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage at a whim. Switching the type of damage a weapon deals is a free action.

At 7th level, you can trip and disarm with any weapon you wield, and all weapons you wield are treated as two-handed for the purposes of sundering.
    I like this a lot. It seems like the perfect purview for an excellency: something that generally enhances how you fight in passive ways, rather than a new, active ability. Could I put this in my compendium? That way it wouldn't get lost in the endless procession of posts.

16. - Top - End - #1216

Are you going to add Seeking the Lifeblood to that collection of mythos?

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestfury View Post
    Are you going to add Seeking the Lifeblood to that collection of mythos?
    Way ahead of ya!

18. - Top - End - #1218

Kymme: Looking at the collected Mythos, I do have a problem with "Sparks Follow Bonfires".
    I would like to suggest the following changes:
    A) You cannot gain the Leadership feat or Undead Leadership feat afterwards
    B) You may only select one of the Basic Manifestations

Otherwise, what's stopping a Kathados from taking both manifestations and the actual feat, thus invalidating TWICE as many parties?

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1949 View Post
    Kymme: Looking at the collected Mythos, I do have a problem with "Sparks Follow Bonfires".
    I would like to suggest the following changes:
    A) You cannot gain the Leadership feat or Undead Leadership feat afterwards
    B) You may only select one of the Basic Manifestations

Otherwise, what's stopping a Kathados from taking both manifestations and the actual feat, thus invalidating TWICE as many parties?
    Yeah... I've noticed that problem too, but I wasn't sure quite how to word it. Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #1220

Huh, it didn't occur to me that someone could grab Leadership and SfB.

21. - Top - End - #1221

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    I like this a lot. It seems like the perfect purview for an excellency: something that generally enhances how you fight in passive ways, rather than a new, active ability. Could I put this in my compendium? That way it wouldn't get lost in the endless procession of posts.
    Yeah, of course. Glad you like it.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #1222

Do you really think the manifestations of Sparks Follow Bonfires needs to be mutually exclusive? If the Leadership feat wouldn't be appropriate in a game, than Sparks Follow Bonfires wouldn't be appropriate either.

Hell, the Akastarepti can apparently get away with +4Charisma+Leadership+No Leadership Penalties+1 leadership score in a single fantastic mythos without manifestations.

23. - Top - End - #1223

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    Do you really think the manifestations of Sparks Follow Bonfires needs to be mutually exclusive? If the Leadership feat wouldn't be appropriate in a game, than Sparks Follow Bonfires wouldn't be appropriate either.

Hell, the Akastarepti can apparently get away with +4Charisma+Leadership+No Leadership Penalties+1 leadership score in a single fantastic mythos without manifestations.
    You make a fair point in regards to your first argument. However... I'm pretty sure most, if not all, people who aren't the original creator of the Akastarepti think that gaining full-blown "Better than Leadership" as a single Mythos is, for lack of a better word, bull.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post

You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti might not be the best example.

What I'm super concerned about, however, and something that I find the lack of feedback on a bit worrying, are the two Exalted Mythos I made for the Kathodos: Claiming Life's Heart and Devastating Breath of the Prime. The Kathodos doesn't have any Mythos of that level already made, so I didn't have much of a way to check the relative power of those two abilities. I'm really wondering if I got the balance right and if they are up to snuff with the Exalted Mythos of other classes.

What does Mythosthread think?

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground

You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.
    Can I sig the (fixed) version?
    Last edited by ShadowFireLance; 2014-07-07 at 06:11 PM.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    Can I sig the (fixed) version?
    Oh, totes. That'd be pretty nice, actually. I've been meaning to give it a more in-depth look.

27. - Top - End - #1227

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 7th son of sons View Post
    In the Bellator's Flavour text, it talks about how the Iron Mythos have a defined beginning, a point of origin from which their story would begin to be written. So the class idea I had was someone who could glimpse there History, could see the Origins of the Iron-Mythos, someone who understood the way the story is being written, and what they where, what they where capable of: Of standing toe-to-toe, tit for tat with these most Primal, Original living things, even if they don't fully comprehend what these things are. Knowing that while the Teramach, the Olethrofex, and all the others draw there power from some distant, esoteric conflux of past deeds, the Bellator forges his own legend, and gets by on his own strength of will, as well as his strength of arms. They are, in some ways, authors of this story that is still being written, where as your average Bellator could be considered more akin to words, sentences, or at best Pages in the story. The theme is discipline, of extreme self control, of being able to put your entire being into the fight, thinking not of the consequences of defeat, but of the knowledge and glory gained from your inevitable victory. It's knowing that wherever you travel, there will be conflict, not necessarily one that you brought about, but because there will always be some type of conflict, and it is what you thrive on. Where the Holocaust Sun draws his power from his raw Strength and his Might, this yet-unnamed class draws his power from his Skill and his Determination.
    Sounds like training in a skill rather than levels; Bard/Bellator screams Brutal Legend as played by Samurai Jack rather than an Author-Anthol, especially since if I'm not mistaken, Bards by RAW are Chaotic and don't mesh too well with discipline, hence the 4e adaptation? Monk might, if you're talking monastic, Breath-of-Five-Winds type, with the heavy focus on self-control (Wisdom = Willpower ). I'd like to see a hybrid PrC for Bellator, though. With Link involved, that could make for a juicy crossover .
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

In working on the as-yet-unnamed Author-Anthol Epic Bellator PRC (hereafter referred to as the AYUAAEBPRC) I attempted to come up with some original mythos for the class, much as the Holocaust Sun has. This was my first attempt

Spoiler: Exalted: Transmute Army to Graveyard
    Show

Prerequisites: "Standing Against the Horde" Mythos, The "Cleave" Feat

A thousand lives would the (Class Name) give for his cause, but he has but one to spare. Those who would stand against him, however, offer more than enough lives for there cause. Why should he deny them the honor of dying for it?

Your use of the "Standing Against the Horde" mythos is changed to give you further control of the battlefield. Your reach is permanently increased as it would be if you stood still while utilizing the mythos, your reach further when you take the action to steel yourself in preparation for combat. Medium Creatures reach increases by 50 feet, Large Creatures increases by 25, and Huge creatures increases by 10. In addition, you may use the highest among your strength, dexterity, or intelligence to determine how many attacks of opportunity you make through use of your Combat Reflexes feat. You also gain Great Cleave as a bonus feat.

As a standard action, you may offer a challenge of honor unto your opponents. This challenge can be of any design of the (Class Names) choosing, but the most basic or these challenges is taking a knee before your foes, and plunging your weapon in to the earth. All creatures within a (100 x 5 per Character Level modifier feet) cone instantly understands the direness of there situation. This challenge calls into question there ties to this cause, and if such a cause is truly worth giving up there lives for. Even those who are magically compelled to face the (Class Name) are given true choice in going forward with combat, as are usually mindless creatures (though many still choose to face the (Class Name), as was there design) Non-Combatents, such as stray villagers and villainous hostages are not immune to this challenge, but many will stand down. Those who choose not to continue on their path of ruin join the Challenger in his passive stance. They will be spared, and the Challengers attacks will have no effect on them so long as the challenge remains. Those who choose to stand against him, however, are marked.

All foes who choose to take up arms against the (Class Name) give off a supernatural glow akin to a torch, as does the challenger, ruining any attempts to hide, magical or otherwise, up to and including Superior Invisibilty. The (Class Name) is preternaturally aware of the number of challengers who still stand before him, and a rough idea of where they lie in relation to him.

Finally, the (Class Name) takes this challenge with the utmost seriousness. He gains a +1 Perfection bonus to attack and damage rolls made against challenged foes, increasing by +1 whenever he is attacked by those foes, resetting whenever he slays such a challenger. So long as a challenger remains alive, the (Class Name) gains the benefits of Diehard, and does not require food, water, sleep, or even Breath continue fighting. Finally, Whenever he would make an attack of opportunity or an additional attack from Cleave against a foe marked by his challenge, he may engage in a full round attack. This ability does not stack with Karmic Blow or Robliar's Gambit.

Foes who do not answer the challenge, but take up arms against the (Class Name) regardless are subject to an immediate attack of opportunity, of which the (Class Name) gains a +50 Honor Bonus to Attack and Damage rolls. In order to prevent certain key targets from escaping his grasp, a (Class Name) may designate a number of targets in this Mythos Area of Effect equal to (1+Intelligence Modifier) to ignore his challenge. Foes who attempt to flee from this challenge, whether they remain on the plane where the challenge took place or other-wise, are marked for Dishonor, losing 1 point of Constitution every hour until they return to area of the challenge. At any time, a foe may surrender to the (Class Name), though whether he accepts such as surrender is at the discretion of the challenger.

29. - Top - End - #1229

Have some more Kathados mythos. I'm kinda unsure about whether AotPA should be Fantastic or Legendary. Although, if it was legendary I'd add the ability to take the form of large elementals. The bit about storm elementals was an idea I had toyed with for Fundament Invoking Behest. I might make unlocking storm elementals a separate thing somewhere.

I think I'll make some mythos building off of FIB that buffs it. Maybe letting the elemental roam farther, be stronger, call up more at once, that kind of thing. I do want the Kathados to eventually have the ability to call up a horde of elementals, or the elemental monoliths.

Exceptional
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mantle of the Enduring Mountain
    [Internal][Earth]
    You gain the Endurance and Toughness feats. Additionally, you gain Stability, as a dwarf would possess. If you already possessed Stability, you double the bonus granted by Stability instead.
    Basic
    Strength in Stone: You gain Stone Power as a bonus feat. (ToB)
    Ever Unbroken Bluffs: You gain Improved Toughness as a bonus feat.
    Born of the Bones of the World: You gain Damage Reduction 2/-. At 4th level, this increases to 4/-. Every 4 levels beyond 4th level increase the Damage Reduction by 2.

Fantastic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assumption of the Primal Aspect
    [Internal][Variable]
    You gain the ability to wild shape, as a druid, into the forms of medium or small elementals(Air, Fire, Water, Earth). You can use this ability up to 3 times per day. If you possess Fulminating Lightning Epiphany, than you can also take the form of a medium or small storm elemental.

Excellency
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nurturing Essence of the Origin
    [Internal]
    You gain the ability to breath Earth, Fire, and Water. If you did not possess Airbreathing, than you also gain the ability to breath Air.This excellency provides you no ability to move through those substances beyond what you already possess.

30. - Top - End - #1230

If it matters, I will be ceasing work on the Eklekti for now. It's cool, but constantly reading up on different styles of torture, playing games about torture, reading about torture, listening to the music, and looking at art, it's just... it's really bummin' me out. I want something that's light-hearted and fun, not awful and terrible and PAIN. Where's the wonder? Where's the hope and joy?

Still working on the Malefica, but I need to rework the class abilities to be a bit more interesting and novel.
    My Homebrew