New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default What is Charisma's "force of personality"

It's been bothering me for a few days and I've got to ask.
    I want to put points in charisma, but here's the thing.

Charisma measures a character’s force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness
    This character is very attractive, but has no leadership skills, and is very anti-social as in she almost never talks. So due to her lack of leadership her other parts of charisma have to make up for it. I need to know what force of personality is so I can determine if that can lead to high persuasiveness and personal magnetism.

Is force of personality eccentricity? Like a child's eccentric personality eventually overcomes other children and they play a game the child wants to play? You know like when adults deal with this kind of child they got "That kid's quite the character"

Is it stubbornness? In the above case, the child is so stubborn and tries all sort of manipulative techniques (like holding her breath, fake tears, blackmail, etc.) that constitutes force of personality?

It's not willpower because that's wisdom.
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2014-11-20 at 08:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What is Charisma's "force of personality"

Have you ever noticed that you're drawn to some people more than others? Before they open their mouth or do anything. Just meeting the person face to face and you're like, "Dayum."

Or when you have a discussion with someone (maybe about where you eat) and what they say seems like a great idea, but afterwards you want to punch yourself because you actually dislike the food there. But it seemed like such a great idea at the time.

It's just a thing that some people have.

Being attractive really doesn't hurt either. Also, if a person who has that magnetism rarely speaks, it could mean that when they do speak people will listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    You could also go on an adventure for the magical strap-on, if you really want to make an adventure out of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Wizard View Post
    Come at me scrublord I'm ripped

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

The actual Force of Personality feat /makes/ it Willpower.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Force of personality is the ability to say "Shut up! I'm talking!" and actually get everyone to shut up. It's a sort of personal gravitas.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-11-20 at 08:14 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Part of the problem is that "physical attractiveness" is supposed to be a part of it. Physical attractiveness might help in some charisma-related skills, but (at least in my opinion) it really has no business being in the description. Even if someone looks like a troll, they can still be pretty charismatic. There are a few variant rules that explicitly shunt off physical attractiveness to its own stat, usually called "Comeliness" or "Appearance." Unless you get pretty deep into BoEF territory, it doesn't have any mechanical effect, but it does allow people to model the "beautiful airhead" or "charismatic but beaten with an uglystick" character ideas a bit more solidly.

6. - Top - End - #6

So is it like, person A wants to watch movie A, person B wants to watch movie B, and in the end they watch the movie the one with the greater force of personality wanted to watch?

"I want to watch A"
    "I want to watch B"
    *GLARE AT EACH OTHER*
    "... ok lets watch movie A"
    "Thought so"

edit:
    So for the character in question
    *points to movie A*
    "I want to watch movie B"
    *Summons an elemental monolith*
    *grins happily*
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2014-11-20 at 08:49 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Force of personality is the ability to say "Shut up! I'm talking!" and actually get everyone to shut up. It's a sort of personal gravitas.
    Personally, I always imagined it as a mix of this and killing intent (sorry to link tvtropes, but it seemed the simplest way).

8. - Top - End - #8

A quick aside, the personality you're describing is non-social, not antisocial. If anything, those with antisocial personality disorder are the BEST talkers.

9. - Top - End - #9

OrcBarbarianGuy

Fluttershy is a great example of a quiet yet charismatic character. She doesn't actively try to alter the world around her but nonetheless commands a good degree of influence and presence.
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Yeah, as 3.5 is set up, CHA encompasses both looks and 'force of personality'. Just like DEX encompasses both manual dexterity (Open Locks and the like) and full-body agility (AC boost) all in one stat. For those character concepts that want a lot of one thing from a particular stat but not another, it gets kind of tough. You basically have to go into other mechanics like feats and skills and things like that to further differentiate between two things that are covered by the same base stat.

The Traits from Unearthed Arcana are sometimes handy for teasing out the differences between concepts covered by the same base stat. The 'Honest' trait, for example, allows a character to have an (effectively) higher CHA for Diplomacy checks but not be quite as good at Bluffing. I didn't see a trait that applies to the problem the OP posted, but there is a sidebar in UA about designing your own Traits, and I think that something like that might help. You could play the gender angle (+1 on checks to those attracted to the character's gender, -1 to those who are not) or go a different route (+1 to diplomacy, -1 to Intimidate) depending on how you wanted to simulate the attractiveness of the character. The bonuses aren't very big, but they at least give you a bit of rules crunch to go along with your chosen fluff.

BoEF might have something like this already, but I (proudly? sadly? both?) have no familiarity with this book.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

One of the wierd things about charisma is exactly how does it work.

Force of Personality basically means exactly how powerful your sense of "Self" is. things with 0 Cha dont understand they exist.

It also measures your ability to convince/endear other intelligent beings to you or your opinions.

typically it doesnt actually mean how beautiful someone is, because then Succubus would be the highest cha in the game, what with being desire demons.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

12. - Top - End - #12

The best expression of "force of personality" I've seen is the Reality Distortion Field.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Before I get started, the usual disclaimer. D&D has always had the problem that some of the characteristics in Charisma could arguably be attributed to other attributes (esp. INT or WIS). I agree. Let's assume that argument has been made, and just stick to the OP's question of trying to define the characteristics in terms of CHA.

And you may be flipping cause and effect. People who are said to have forceful personalities may be that way because they have high persuasiveness or personal magnetism, not that they have those things because they have a forceful personality.

You want a real life example to what you may be describing if you took out the "does not talk" part? Kim Kardashian (and I feel horrible for bringing this into a D&D discussion forum). But here's a person that through looks, a "leaked" sex tape, and some very clever business managers has turned her life into a billion dollar industry. Note that she doesn't run the business side of things. Her mom did for a while and now Kayne does. But somehow her personality is such that millions were watching her shows, millions will buy a product if she endorses it, and millions will buy any magazine that has an interview or pictures of her in it.

She's made a career… out of being Kim Kardashian. Nothing more. Where's the Snarl when you really need it….

In short, in the modern age the term is celebrity. In older times she might be a "personage". If your game allows female members of the nobility she could be a "court noble" (one with title but no land) who was given her title for any reason.

Your problem is that you've said she almost never talks. While attractiveness is a component of Charisma, it isn’t the only one or even the most important. At best it may influence a very initial reaction among members of a species likely to find her species attractive. Most of the other components do rely on talking to some extent.

But maybe her voice is also perfect, such that even without magic people want to listen to it. To steal from David Eddings…

Spoiler: Spoiled for length
    Show
    He was awakened at the end of
    the sermon by the voice of an angel. A
    young knight with hair the colour of
    butter and a neck like a marble column
    lifted his clear tenor voice in a hymn of
    praise. His face shone, and his eyes
    were filled with adoration.

… ‘Who’s your tenor?’

‘Sir Parasim. He just won his
    spurs.’

‘I don’t want to alarm you,
    Vanion, but he’s too good for this
    world.’

‘I know.’

‘God will probably call him
    home very soon.’

‘That’s God’s business, isn’t it,
    Sparhawk?’

‘Do me a favour, Vanion. Don’t
    put me in a situation where I’m the one
    who gets him killed.’

Alternatively maybe she says little but has a way of speaking to people (when she does speak) that makes everyone feel like she's talking just to them even when addressing large crowds. Maybe she comes across as so sincere that everyone wants to believe her (she just seems trustworthy).

The point is, it can mean whatever you and your DM decide to make it mean.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    typically it doesnt actually mean how beautiful someone is, because then Succubus would be the highest cha in the game, what with being desire demons.
    Succubus does have one of the highest CHA in the game XD
    Then again Pit Fiends do too, and they're ugly.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by someonenoone11 View Post
    So is it like, person A wants to watch movie A, person B wants to watch movie B, and in the end they watch the movie the one with the greater force of personality wanted to watch?

"I want to watch A"
    "I want to watch B"
    *GLARE AT EACH OTHER*
    "Thought so"
    In short? Yes.

If it helps, Undead are also held together by Charisma. In this regard, Charisma is willfulness. A Lich keeps on trucking beyond death because it burns too damn brightly to be snuffed out.
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    In short? Yes.

If it helps, Undead are also held together by Charisma. In this regard, Charisma is willfulness. A Lich keeps on trucking beyond death because it burns too damn brightly to be snuffed out.
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    I can work with that. Although doesn't talk, if she doesn't get her way, she'll do something to get her way, trivial or whatnot. She is very "willful" but has no willpower, so if something arduous comes along she'll get someone else to do it for her, by fake tears, threatening, blackmailing, getting help from another guy who then forces the original guy to do it for her. That's her personality, and it's strong i guess XD.

I think Force of Personality is how strongly you can assert yourself onto others. Could be through charms, could be through seduction, could be through manipulation.

A low charisma wizard may back down when a paladin glares at him, but then behind the paladin's back exact revenge, where as a high charismatic wizard could beat the paladin in the glare-down or otherwise do something to make the paladin back down then and there instead of plotting behind him.
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2014-11-20 at 08:59 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

I can work with that. Although doesn't talk, if she doesn't get her way, she'll do something to get her way, trivial or whatnot. She is very "willful" but has no willpower, so if something arduous comes along she'll get someone else to do it for her, by fake tears, threatening, blackmailing, getting help from another guy who then forces the original guy to do it for her.
    On that note, I always wondered why Will saves were based on Wisdom and not Charisma. Sure, some Will saves are based on discernment, like illusions and some enchantments, but a lot are based on straight out assertiveness to shrug off an effect and would be better modeled by Charisma...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Succubus does have one of the highest CHA in the game XD
    Then again Pit Fiends do too, and they're ugly.
    not one of the highest, THE highest without epic or divine ranks. This is not the case as for actual planar agents they are actually running mid-range Cha
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

19. - Top - End - #19

On that note, I always wondered why Will saves were based on Wisdom and not Charisma. Sure, some Will saves are based on discernment, like illusions and some enchantments, but a lot are based on straight out assertiveness to shrug off an effect and would be better modeled by Charisma...
    I think will saves are how much you can endure torture, or how long you can do a repetitive task, you know, stuff along the lines of pain. Conviction to faith and discipline sort of stuff. Super serious.

Charisma's "will" is everything not related to pain, like being a tease and getting other people to do the painful work for you. At least that's how I'm interpreting it.

Thanks guys I think I understand now.
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2014-11-20 at 09:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, if you really want it to be, there's a feat for that. I've always seen the Wisdom to will saves as being based on self-control. Wisdom is awareness of the self, while Charisma is awareness of the world.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Let me see that I understand.

Does not lead. Does not deal well with people. Does not talk. Reasonably attractive. Extremely high Charisma.

So... Batman?

Seriously, there's your example, right there. Batman is a perfect example of a person with high Charisma and negative people skills. He says virtually nothing, but when he speaks everyone shuts up. He doesn't tell people what to do half the time; his glare is enough to motivate. He doesn't have to threaten his enemies for them to start wetting themselves.

Diplomacy and Perform aren't the only Charisma-based skills. Bluff is one, and doesn't have to involve speaking; it's your ability to convince others you're not being deceptive. You can do that with the appearance of sincerity, with focus in your movements, in any number of ways. Gather Information is your ability to learn what you need to know. Using the Batman example, a disapproving glare can get people to spill their guts. And I needn't go into the value of Intimidate, need I?

That's force of personality. The ability to get what you want, communicate what you need, accomplish what you desire, simply by having such a profound presence that the world rushes to accommodate.

Ideally out of pants-crapping terror.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

22. - Top - End - #22

That's intimidate not bluff. :P
    But I see what you mean. A very quiet woman but with a super frightening stare would have people cater to her, like the daughter of your boss or the president.

I could work with that too.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    You know, if you really want it to be, there's a feat for that.
    Is it a Pathfinder feat?

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

I don't find it hard to keep Wisdom and Charisma separate. Both abilities have to do with will, but they each use willpower differently.

The willpower of Wisdom is purely defensive.* The willpower of Charisma is purely offensive (in the sense of being aggressive).* Think of Wisdom as armor and Charisma as a weapon.

A Charismatic character is very persuasive, but she may still be easy to deceive or to intimidate, unless she also has a high Wisdom score. A Wise character is not easy to deceive or intimidate, but she may still be incapable of persuading anyone to agree with her, unless she also has a high Charisma score.
    *The exception to this general rule is of course the use of Wisdom to create divine magic, which may be either defensive or offensive, and the use of Charisma to create arcane magic, which also may be either defensive or offensive. The rule contrasting defensive use with offensive use applies only to mundane uses of Wisdom and Charisma.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I view The Doctor (from Doctor Who, to Non-Whovians) as being a perfect example, 11th in particular. He's not super attractive, but people tend to like him.

May I sig this?
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

26. - Top - End - #26

BardGuy

In the Discworld novels, Foul Ole Ron is a successful beggar, because he is not only filthy and unpleasant to look at, but has such a horrible smell that people give him money so that he will go away.

I think some ugly creatures are Charismatic in this way. They know they're ugly, but they make their ugliness work for them. Charisma is, after all, a mental ability. It means the ability to use your appearance, whether pleasant, unpleasant, or somewhere in between, to your greatest possible advantage.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    May I sig this?
    Go right ahead.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it a Pathfinder feat?
    Force of Personality from Complete Adventurer.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

"I want to watch A"
    "I want to watch B"
    *GLARE AT EACH OTHER*
    Or possibly:

"I want to watch A"
    "I want to watch B"
    "Alright, you've convinced me."

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I view The Doctor (from Doctor Who, to Non-Whovians) as being a perfect example, 11th in particular. He's not super attractive, but people tend to like him.
    Oh great. Now you're going to get reams of hate mail from Matt Smith fangirls.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Oh great. Now you're going to get reams of hate mail from Matt Smith fangirls.
    I don't like him or find him attractive. Now they'll come after me first. Regardless, how he's written is as a fairly high-Charisma character. He does a lot of the "shut up, I am talking" sort of thing and people almost always listen.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show