New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IC IX: Turning the Tide

"Then if you don't mind..." She smiles at Natalia, Mithril, Kurt and Alder and inclines her head.
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mithril went toward the door waiting for Alder to show her where to go.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Natali nods and makes her way to the door. She's quiet for the moment, her mind turned inward.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt leaves with a troubled expression on his face, though not at being asked to leave. Something else said in there is making his forehead crease like that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

The rest of the party departs, Alder shutting the door behind them. If the elder son has any resentment about his mother's request, he doesn't show it. Rhenner finds himself alone in the room with his mother, who looks him up and down across her inflated stomach.

"I used to think you had trouble trusting people," she observes drily. "After- well, after what happened when you were twelve..." she trails off diplomatically. "You didn't trust me, and you didn't trust your father. Your brothers-" she scoffs a bit. It seems a bit of her mask has been dropped now that the two of them are alone- a rare but not unprecedented occurrence. (Though part of him has always wondered whether this, too, was a calculated move to gain his trust).

"But you grew older, and you seemed to have no trouble placing your trust in the Church. And so much the better for you." She smiles slightly, seeming genuinely proud. "But now you say... what was it... it 'turned out you'd been wrong.'"

"So what is it about those three you travel with, that makes you trust them? Are they really so deserving of it? So much more so than I am?"
    Last edited by Admiral; 2015-09-01 at 08:37 PM.

Current Map

6. - Top - End - #156

Griffon

"I have found that trust is best placed... partially", Rhenner replies, the cynic in charge of the voice controls again, "One can trust people deeply in one matter, and not much at all in another. Complete trust I put to no one, not even my god, which I suppose makes me a lousy priest, though He does not seem to mind." The cleric taps his holy symbol contemplatively. "It... has been long since I last saw you, or anyone I might call family, though I do realize this is only my own fault." He looks away.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

7. - Top - End - #157

Once they're outside, Natalia looks at her friends. Now that it's done, what just happened seems slightly surreal.

"So...now what? Didn't think Rhenner..." she trails off, not really sure how to put her thoughts into words. So until she can, Natalia lowers her voice so alder can't hear. "Horde fights here for reason. Think she knows why. Might...be...like our search."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    "I have found that trust is best placed... partially", Rhenner replies, the cynic in charge of the voice controls again, "One can trust people deeply in one matter, and not much at all in another. Complete trust I put to no one, not even my god, which I suppose makes me a lousy priest, though He does not seem to mind." The cleric taps his holy symbol contemplatively. "It... has been long since I last saw you, or anyone I might call family, though I do realize this is only my own fault." He looks away.
    "Partial trust..." the elven matriarch muses. "Well said. Partial trust is so much harder than complete trust. But so very necessary, for a family to survive..."

"Have you ever thought of having children yourself?" she asks Rhenner suddenly, looking up.

Current Map

9. - Top - End - #159

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
    "Partial trust..." the elven matriarch muses. "Well said. Partial trust is so much harder than complete trust. But so very necessary, for a family to survive..."

"Have you ever thought of having children yourself?" she asks Rhenner suddenly, looking up.
    Rhenner raises an eyebrow at the question. "I haven't really to be honest", he replies, "Though I suppose my wandering way of life would be ill suited for raising children."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Rhenner raises an eyebrow at the question. "I haven't really to be honest", he replies, "Though I suppose my wandering way of life would be ill suited for raising children."
    "Perhaps..." she replies. "It's unfortunate, you'd likely find it a learning experience. I'm sure you've had many exciting adventures in your travels, especially with that charming god you follow, but you'd be surprised the challenges that raising a family can present." She scratches her head. "For instance, imagine you were deciding whether to trust one of your children with something, as well as trusting his choice in comrades. But your child has not, historically, given you much reason to trust him. How would you handle it, with all your wisdom?" She gives every appearance of speaking entirely in hypotheticals.

Current Map

11. - Top - End - #161

Griffon

"Perhaps..." she replies. "It's unfortunate, you'd likely find it a learning experience. I'm sure you've had many exciting adventures in your travels, especially with that charming god you follow, but you'd be surprised the challenges that raising a family can present." She scratches her head. "For instance, imagine you were deciding whether to trust one of your children with something, as well as trusting his choice in comrades. But your child has not, historically, given you much reason to trust him. How would you handle it, with all your wisdom?" She gives every appearance of speaking entirely in hypotheticals.
    Rhenner smiles wryly. Fine, lets play this game then.

"I would say that depends on what he needs to be trusted with now, in comparison to those things he has not been up to before. Partial trust can also be employed when dealing with family, it can even be necessary. There was something said in this room earlier, that family could always be trusted. Whether this was as an honest opinion, or the phrase happened to be convenient for some other reason, I can't say."
    He looks out of the window. "Anyway, after travelling the continent and meeting many people and heard their tales and whatnot, I dare to claim this is no absolute truth, but a pleasant saying those who are either fortunate or foolish like to say. For there are many for whom it would be very stupid to think so. However," he turns back to Elynwena, "I have also come to believe that for even greater a number, it is not a lie. It would seem, that most often people care deeply for those they have grown up with, to whom they apply this word 'family' to, and would go to great lengths to keep them safe. The half-elf shrugs. "What one's own family is like can't unfortunately be known for sure in advance, before there comes a time when it is tested. Still... I think not believing in them can cause damage already in itself." He looks slightly sorry again.

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Once they're outside, Natalia looks at her friends. Now that it's done, what just happened seems slightly surreal.

"So...now what? Didn't think Rhenner..." she trails off, not really sure how to put her thoughts into words. So until she can, Natalia lowers her voice so alder can't hear. "Horde fights here for reason. Think she knows why. Might...be...like our search."
    Mithril didn't bother to lower her voice. "Oh, she knows something. But she isn't stupid, trusting strangers is a dangerous hobby. I doubt she fully trusts her own children, given that at least one of them disappeared for years."

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Mithril didn't bother to lower her voice. "Oh, she knows something. But she isn't stupid, trusting strangers is a dangerous hobby. I doubt she fully trusts her own children, given that at least one of them disappeared for years."
    Natalia nods. She keeps her voice down though. "Speaking of children..." She can't hold it in anymore. Natalia points back at the door, spreads her hands as if indicating every elf in this room, this town. "Why?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-09-06 at 11:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Rhenner smiles wryly. Fine, lets play this game then.

"I would say that depends on what he needs to be trusted with now, in comparison to those things he has not been up to before. Partial trust can also be employed when dealing with family, it can even be necessary. There was something said in this room earlier, that family could always be trusted. Whether this was as an honest opinion, or the phrase happened to be convenient for some other reason, I can't say."
    "I believe what was said," she replies with a wry smile to match, "was 'almost always.'"

He looks out of the window. "Anyway, after travelling the continent and meeting many people and heard their tales and whatnot, I dare to claim this is no absolute truth, but a pleasant saying those who are either fortunate or foolish like to say. For there are many for whom it would be very stupid to think so. However," he turns back to Elynwena, "I have also come to believe that for even greater a number, it is not a lie. It would seem, that most often people care deeply for those they have grown up with, to whom they apply this word 'family' to, and would go to great lengths to keep them safe. The half-elf shrugs. "What one's own family is like can't unfortunately be known for sure in advance, before there comes a time when it is tested. Still... I think not believing in them can cause damage already in itself." He looks slightly sorry again.
    Elynwena nods very slowly. "Great lengths, indeed... quite wise, Rhenner. That god you follow has done well for you."

She scratches her cheek before smiling. "How helpful it must be, to have an all seeing god on your side. The great frustration of this war is that we don't even know what we're fighting about!" she laughs. "If only I had been a cleric. I were wondering what the next step would be, someone would just tell me. Here-" she continues, waving her hand to suggest concocting a hypothetical. "Perhaps last week, I'd see an angel- no, a bit fanciful. Perhaps six days ago I'd hear... a whisper, in my ear, telling me how to stop the raids. It could just me, 'If you want the orcs and giants to stop attacking, just ask the Provost at the Institute of Llenovia, for she knows what they are after.'" She shrugs. "Something like that. Wouldn't that be helpful?"

She looks at him as if expecting him to answer before breaking into another laugh. "Ah, but I would probably just think I was going mad. So perhaps I'd check with the mayors of Tenvull and Orden, and they'd heard the same exact thing. How useful that would be." She waves her hand. "But I'm just having a little fun, Rhenner. I know your god doesn't whisper in your ear." She smiles pleasantly. "So then where could such a voice ever come from?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Llenovia is an elven city in the center of Woodhelm, about twenty five miles from here- the third largest in Woodhelm, after Cardonne and another port city. Tenvull and Orden are nearby villages.

Natalia nods. She keeps her voice down though. "Speaking of children..." She can't hold it in anymore. Natalia points back at the door, spreads her hands as if indicating every elf in this room, this town. "Why?"
    "And who might you all be?" comes a voice from the stairs. Another person has appeared on the landing, a tall and muscular elf, wearing a brown set of robes- appearing perhaps a few years older than Rhenner. The insignia of the Firm marks his hand.

"Ah," says Alder, nodding his head in greeting and turning to the party. "This is Lander, my stepbrother. Lander, these are friends of Rhenner- you may remember him, if your memory reaches very far. These are Kurt, Mithril, and Natalia- Natalia was just bemoaning the fact that my siblings and I exist."

Current Map

15. - Top - End - #165

Natalia sticks out a hand in greeting, but it lowers at his second comment. Not that she wasn't expecting something like it, but still. "Hey!" she says, hurt. "Wasn't bemoaning."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Natalia sticks out a hand in greeting, but it lowers at his second comment. Not that she wasn't expecting something like it, but still. "Hey!" she says, hurt. "Wasn't bemoaning."
    "Ah, pardon me," Alder replies slyly. "You were merely surprised. Isn't it funny how no one is surprised by their own existence? They are only surprised, and often concerned, when life happens to others."

Lander rolls his eyes good-naturedly at Alder's comments. "Don't mind him," he adds. "I myself don't owe my existence to Elynwena, if that's what you mean. Though I do owe my home to her."

Current Map

17. - Top - End - #167

"Ah, pardon me," Alder replies slyly. "You were merely surprised. Isn't it funny how no one is surprised by their own existence? They are only surprised, and often concerned, when life happens to others."
    Natalia opens her mouth to respond, but after a moment closes it again. It can be hard enough responding to Rhenner sometimes as it is.

Lander rolls his eyes good-naturedly at Alder's comments. "Don't mind him," he adds. "I myself don't owe my existence to Elynwena, if that's what you mean. Though I do owe my home to her."
    "Figured, if Rhenner's master in...blade tongue. Guess wondering why gather children for Elynwena, because my family opposite. Just...me, my brother." and what was that about rhenners brother? she wants to explain but can't and can't without seeming rude, so instead Natalia rubs the back of her neck. And then there's the other thing, but that might be even ruder. So.

"You a Mage?" she asks, awkwardly, pointing at his robes. But he has the mark of the Firm, not the Institute. Another pause. "You built wall?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-09-09 at 07:59 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Griffon

"I believe what was said," she replies with a wry smile to match, "was 'almost always.'"

Elynwena nods very slowly. "Great lengths, indeed... quite wise, Rhenner. That god you follow has done well for you."

She scratches her cheek before smiling. "How helpful it must be, to have an all seeing god on your side. The great frustration of this war is that we don't even know what we're fighting about!" she laughs. "If only I had been a cleric. I were wondering what the next step would be, someone would just tell me. Here-" she continues, waving her hand to suggest concocting a hypothetical. "Perhaps last week, I'd see an angel- no, a bit fanciful. Perhaps six days ago I'd hear... a whisper, in my ear, telling me how to stop the raids. It could just me, 'If you want the orcs and giants to stop attacking, just ask the Provost at the Institute of Llenovia, for she knows what they are after.'" She shrugs. "Something like that. Wouldn't that be helpful?"

She looks at him as if expecting him to answer before breaking into another laugh. "Ah, but I would probably just think I was going mad. So perhaps I'd check with the mayors of Tenvull and Orden, and they'd heard the same exact thing. How useful that would be." She waves her hand. "But I'm just having a little fun, Rhenner. I know your god doesn't whisper in your ear." She smiles pleasantly. "So then where could such a voice ever come from?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Llenovia is an elven city in the center of Woodhelm, about twenty five miles from here- the third largest in Woodhelm, after Cardonne and another port city. Tenvull and Orden are nearby villages.
    The shock is painfully obvious on Rhenner's face and he struggles to reply. "...Where... indeed." His mouth feels dry. "And the problem with such voices... would be that one can never know what... they are truly after..." His voice trails away and he takes a few steps to the side, to be able to lean slightly on the wall. He finds it difficult to look at his mother and his gaze wanders randomly. He has an odd sensation, as if he was not really present in the room anymore.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Oh! Lander was adopted? I had thought he was one of the half-sibling.

...Can we draw a chart of the family? I think it would useful for me.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

The shock is painfully obvious on Rhenner's face and he struggles to reply. "...Where... indeed." His mouth feels dry. "And the problem with such voices... would be that one can never know what... they are truly after..." His voice trails away and he takes a few steps to the side, to be able to lean slightly on the wall. He finds it difficult to look at his mother and his gaze wanders randomly. He has an odd sensation, as if he was not really present in the room anymore.
    "So again..." his mother finishes, "it all comes down to trust." She seems casual enough, but Rhenner can tell her eyes were focused intently on his reaction, which did not go unnoticed.

"What would you do, if you heard such a thing? Give it what it wants, if it is in your power? Be it a god or a demon, that may be the wisest choice." She shrugs. "Would you tell anyone, trust that they may have the power to use such knowledge better than you could?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Oh! Lander was adopted? I had thought he was one of the half-sibling.

...Can we draw a chart of the family? I think it would useful for me.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry to lead to confusion! As said in the first post he was mentioned in, Lander is an elven stepbrother, not a half-brother- an (already born) son of the elf Elynwena married.

I know, too many siblings!! I'll try to get a chart up!

Current Map

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

"Figured, if Rhenner's master in...blade tongue. Guess wondering why gather children for Elynwena, because my family opposite. Just...me, my brother." and what was that about rhenners brother? she wants to explain but can't and can't without seeming rude, so instead Natalia rubs the back of her neck. And then there's the other thing, but that might be even ruder. So.
    "Most people can be expected to mourn a lost sibling," Alder observes drily. "Why don't we equally mourn those who never existed? If you truly love your children, isn't it logical to want more?" Natalioa still can't tell if he's sincere or making fun of her. "And the whole world's just full of children," Alder stretches out his arms, "if you know where to look."

"You a Mage?" she asks, awkwardly, pointing at his robes. But he has the mark of the Firm, not the Institute. Another pause. "You built wall?"
    "That's right," Lander replies, stretching as he stands. "I was a stonemason in Cardonne, for twenty years. Neeson- that's my husband- was the real brains of this operation, though; he's an architect. And Alder can always be counted on to sit back, drink berrywine, and tell us we're doing it wrong."

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I imagine robes as something you'd see in a fantasy setting, not just on mages. But I'm not very knowledgeable about fashion.
    Last edited by Admiral; 2015-09-09 at 11:51 AM.

Current Map

21. - Top - End - #171

"Most people can be expected to mourn a lost sibling," Alder observes drily. "Why don't we equally mourn those who never existed? If you truly love your children, isn't it logical to want more?" Natalioa still can't tell if he's sincere or making fun of her. "And the whole world's just full of children," Alder stretches out his arms, "if you know where to look."
    That one comment hurt, a little barb in Natalia's chest that Alder probably didn't even know he put there. "And if can't care for children there?" she asks, a little sharper than she should.

"That's right," Lander replies, stretching as he stands. "I was a stonemason in Cardonne, for twenty years. Neeson- that's my husband- was the real brains of this operation, though; he's an architect. And Alder can always be counted on to sit back, drink berrywine, and tell us we're doing it wrong."

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I imagine robes as something you'd see in a fantasy setting, not just on mages. But I'm not very knowledgeable about fashion.
    She saw part of the palisade when they teleported, and she wants to take a closer look, maybe help. She needs to work on something, set her mind to a problem she knows and knows how to solve. Natalia opens her mouth, starts to say, "Can I..." and then keeps it open. Rhenner said it, and he never commented, but to have Lander himself say it too...

"You said husband," she says, carefully. "so you his husband too? And means same thing as humans?"

Spoiler
    Show
    oh, thanks for explaining!

I hope this post was ok. I have to go back to class and I have my first quiz in an hour I'm not ready.

22. - Top - End - #172

Griffon

"So again..." his mother finishes, "it all comes down to trust." She seems casual enough, but Rhenner can tell her eyes were focused intently on his reaction, which did not go unnoticed.

"What would you do, if you heard such a thing? Give it what it wants, if it is in your power? Be it a god or a demon, that may be the wisest choice." She shrugs. "Would you tell anyone, trust that they may have the power to use such knowledge better than you could?"
    "I... it's..." The words kept running away from him. "I... would not", he finally manages, "not do as it says. But I'm not good at taking orders... from anyone these days. Even if it is to their benefit, in short term anyway, it does sound like the one hearing voices is being used. And they wouldn't even know for what purpose or how. It seems...", it takes a moment to herd the scattered thoughts together again, "I seems to me, that it's doubtful such helpful advice would be given just like that, without any gain to the whisperer. And what that might be, is not shared."

"Maybe... I would tell someone",
    he replies and starts to rub his forehead with both hands, "Or, not... I don't know, it depends... There is the risk, of sounding mad." He's starting to sound less coherent himself.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry to lead to confusion! As said in the first post he was mentioned in, Lander is an elven stepbrother, not a half-brother- an (already born) son of the elf Elynwena married.

I know, too many siblings!! I'll try to get a chart up!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, so is he a younger brother then?

And yeah, they are truly numerous! Didn't realize this issue when I first thought of the family, though you certainly helped!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

"I... it's..." The words kept running away from him. "I... would not", he finally manages, "not do as it says. But I'm not good at taking orders... from anyone these days. Even if it is to their benefit, in short term anyway, it does sound like the one hearing voices is being used. And they wouldn't even know for what purpose or how. It seems...", it takes a moment to herd the scattered thoughts together again, "I seems to me, that it's doubtful such helpful advice would be given just like that, without any gain to the whisperer. And what that might be, is not shared."

"Maybe... I would tell someone",
    he replies and starts to rub his forehead with both hands, "Or, not... I don't know, it depends... There is the risk, of sounding mad." He's starting to sound less coherent himself.
    She raises her hands in a shrug. "If you were afraid of sounding mad," she notes, "there are always ways to speak of it, without speaking of it. And only to those you think there is a chance of it being helpful."

She taps her chin. "Now what was it you said you were up to in Woodhelm?"

That one comment hurt, a little barb in Natalia's chest that Alder probably didn't even know he put there. "And if can't care for children there?" she asks, a little sharper than she should.
    "Well, you start building walls, and don't stop until you can," Alder replies, seeming unconcerned. "Is this something you're an expert in, now?" he adds slyly. "Childcare?"

She saw part of the palisade when they teleported, and she wants to take a closer look, maybe help. She needs to work on something, set her mind to a problem she knows and knows how to solve. Natalia opens her mouth, starts to say, "Can I..." and then keeps it open. Rhenner said it, and he never commented, but to have Lander himself say it too...

"You said husband," she says, carefully. "so you his husband too? And means same thing as humans?"
    "Sure, unless humans started using it differently when I wasn't looking," Lander replies.

He gestures over his shoulder. "If you're interested, you can come take a look at the wall."
    Last edited by Admiral; 2015-09-10 at 11:23 PM.

Current Map

24. - Top - End - #174

"Well, you start building walls, and don't stop until you can," Alder replies, seeming unconcerned. "Is this something you're an expert in, now?" he adds slyly. "Childcare?"
    He gestures over his shoulder. "If you're interested, you can come take a look at the wall."
    Mithril could help but laugh at the idea of giving Natalia small children. "No, that would be me. Natalia would be more likely to hide, especially once the screaming started. Of course my advantage is that they get rather distracted by simple spells." She smiled at Natalia and squeezed her shoulder. "Go explore the wall. Alder, are their any shrines to the gods nearby?"

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Mithril could help but laugh at the idea of giving Natalia small children. "No, that would be me. Natalia would be more likely to hide, especially once the screaming started. Of course my advantage is that they get rather distracted by simple spells." She smiled at Natalia and squeezed her shoulder. "Go explore the wall. Alder, are their any shrines to the gods nearby?"
    "Just the one temple," he replies. "Our chaplain Ilda runs it, she's... what's the word... non-denominational." He seems unfamiliar with the practice. "I could show you your way there."
    Last edited by Admiral; 2015-09-11 at 12:38 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176

"I would appreciate that, a moment to pray would be good after the day I have had."

27. - Top - End - #177

Mithril could help but laugh at the idea of giving Natalia small children. "No, that would be me. Natalia would be more likely to hide, especially once the screaming started. Of course my advantage is that they get rather distracted by simple spells."
    Natalia's not entirely sure what alder means (is he referring to Lander? Unless he knows something she doesn't then she meant unable to care for, not unable to have, and the difference was lost in her Nutspeak) and so she just looks at him until Mithril's comment and shared mental image makes her giggle as well. "No, I just...make rolling playpen, push to you. Older children better, can hold tools."

"Sure, unless humans started using it differently when I wasn't looking," Lander replies.

A moment of surprise, a pause between heartbeats, and now Natalia can't stop smiling. She didn't think she'd react like this...

Because it's not just...husband means they're married, that someone married them, and that nobody has a problem with it. Which means that she and they...this part of them (it's not all of them, but she can't not like girls almost like she can't not tinker, build, feel comfort at metal gears clicking between her fingers and seeing the course of lightning) matters, that it exists.

and now she can explore this wall too, maybe even get to practice her skills again. Natalia wipes her eyes with the back of her hand. "I am, want to look. Thank you."

She smiled at Natalia and squeezed her shoulder. "Go explore the wall. Alder, are their any shrines to the gods nearby?"
    Natalia looks back at mithril and grins. "thank you. Hope you...find shrine." She follows alder to the wall.

28. - Top - End - #178

Griffon

She raises her hands in a shrug. "If you were afraid of sounding mad," she notes, "there are always ways to speak of it, without speaking of it. And only to those you think there is a chance of it being helpful."

She taps her chin. "Now what was it you said you were up to in Woodhelm?"
    "To be honest, I am not sure myself. We were to meet some people, but the dragon interfered. Please don't ask me details about them, I can't really speak about it. But I don't yet know what we are to do next, I need to discuss it with the others.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

"I would appreciate that, a moment to pray would be good after the day I have had."
    Alder nods and leads Mithril outside, where he points out a small stone temple a few hundred yards away. As she walks towards it, she passes some of the other villagers- some elven, some human, and many mixed- who regard her with mild curiosity.

Mithril enters the temple to find it consists mostly of a single room, empty of any worshippers, with several rows of pews, of a size and layout not dissimilar to the chapel she'd found in Deldon. Instead of stone statues, however, the room is lined with about thirty oil paintings, each depicting one of the gods. The paintings in the collection are of vastly different styles. A depiction of Ehlonna in the woods is soft and impressionistic, while one of Thor is harsh and brazen, and several are so abstract she cannot understand what god they may represent.

At the end of the pews Mithril sees an entrance to a small room that appears to be a studio. Peering inside, she sees an elven woman seated at a stool, turned away from the door, just starting work on a new canvas. The woman wears a brown robe studded with spots of paint, and on her hand Mithril spots the insignia of the Church.

The elf glances over her shoulder and jumps, good naturedly, at Mithril's appearance. "Oh, good afternoon." She raises her eyebrows. Mithril guesses she is likely older than Rhenner's mother, perhaps two centuries. "I haven't seen any new faces here in a while."

Spoiler
    Show

Will post about Natalia and Rhenner later, sorry!

Also, Kurt is welcome to join the temple or join Natalia to talk about the city defenses, I could imagine him being interested in either.

Current Map

30. - Top - End - #180

Alder nods and leads Mithril outside, where he points out a small stone temple a few hundred yards away. As she walks towards it, she passes some of the other villagers- some elven, some human, and many mixed- who regard her with mild curiosity.

Mithril enters the temple to find it consists mostly of a single room, empty of any worshippers, with several rows of pews, of a size and layout not dissimilar to the chapel she'd found in Deldon. Instead of stone statues, however, the room is lined with about thirty oil paintings, each depicting one of the gods. The paintings in the collection are of vastly different styles. A depiction of Ehlonna in the woods is soft and impressionistic, while one of Thor is harsh and brazen, and several are so abstract she cannot understand what god they may represent.

At the end of the pews Mithril sees an entrance to a small room that appears to be a studio. Peering inside, she sees an elven woman seated at a stool, turned away from the door, just starting work on a new canvas. The woman wears a brown robe studded with spots of paint, and on her hand Mithril spots the insignia of the Church.

The elf glances over her shoulder and jumps, good naturedly, at Mithril's appearance. "Oh, good afternoon." She raises her eyebrows. Mithril guesses she is likely older than Rhenner's mother, perhaps two centuries. "I haven't seen any new faces here in a while."

Spoiler
    Show

Will post about Natalia and Rhenner later, sorry!

Also, Kurt is welcome to join the temple or join Natalia to talk about the city defenses, I could imagine him being interested in either.
    Mithril peered at the canvas. "I have seen many. Though these paintings are new, I am unused to all the gods so close together. It does seem to be a habit on this continent though." Realizing she hadn't introduced herself she bowed. "I am Mithril, follower of Boccob. Your art is very interesting. I was hoping to use your temple to pray for a spell, at least while my companions are busy. There are so many questions Boccob leaves me and rough travel is never suited for contemplation."