New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment Thread IV: Live Free or Hit Die Hard

Just barely good enough for +0. Their one interesting ability is more flavorful than useful since they can't willingly cancel it - it's far more likely to backfire on a PC than help them.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the point of the tree shape ability is for DMs to be d*cks. These goblins are for when a party sets up camp in the forest and intelligently makes reasonable defenses, including one or more guards, but you still want to surprise them with an ambush.

"You got a 26 on your spot check? There are no enemies near the campsite. Oh wait whoops. The bush you're standing next to turns into a goblin and stabs you. Roll initiative."
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random Sanity View Post
    Just barely good enough for +0. Their one interesting ability is more flavorful than useful since they can't willingly cancel it - it's far more likely to backfire on a PC than help them.
    I'd like to point out that you can in fact reliably de-activate it by having an ally deal one point of damage to the shrub. Just let the party wizard punch you, or zap you with a cantrip, and you should be good to go.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    I'd like to point out that you can in fact reliably de-activate it by having an ally deal one point of damage to the shrub. Just let the party wizard punch you, or zap you with a cantrip, and you should be good to go.
    I can't see any situation in which being a shrub would be beneficial and not completely undermined by also having a wizard stand next to you.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder, would a goblin that spends each day as a tree need to eat, or would he be able to photosynthesize all the sustenance he/she needs?
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I can't see any situation in which being a shrub would be beneficial and not completely undermined by also having a wizard stand next to you.
    You could use it for reconnaisance/spying/evesdropping by planting yourself in a location of interest. Then, when you've done your job, an ally can wander by to de-tree you.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    You could use it for reconnaisance/spying/evesdropping by planting yourself in a location of interest. Then, when you've done your job, an ally can wander by to de-tree you.
    That won't work inside a city as it'll be too conspicuous for a random bush to suddenly be somewhere it's never been before, and spying on someone who's future location you can reasonably predict only works when dealing with individuals who live by schedules, i.e. city dwellers. Maybe if you want to spy on, like, a farmer or something that'll work, but I can't imagine the farmer will have anything useful to say.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

That won't work inside a city as it'll be too conspicuous for a random bush to suddenly be somewhere it's never been before, and spying on someone who's future location you can reasonably predict only works when dealing with individuals who live by schedules, i.e. city dwellers. Maybe if you want to spy on, like, a farmer or something that'll work, but I can't imagine the farmer will have anything useful to say.
    Is the kind of shrub specified? A ******** goblin could fit right into a poorly maintained garden, lawn, or even gutter. They could also disguise as a decorative tree; from a classy dracena to a festive conifer.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    It's no water orc, but it seems mostly in line with PHB races. +0 LA seems fine.
    Pretty much. Not as good as water orc, human, dwarf, strongheart halfling, or whisper gnome. But honestly better than many PHB races for a Cha based caster or ranger. Rogue gets hurt by -2 int but possible.

Small size but 30' move, +2 dex, -2 int, +1 NA, climb speed, darkvision, very stealthy in forests. I can see people taking this at +0 but I don't think its overpowered. No way is that +1, reasonably in line with +0 PHB race with some fun toys.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Is the kind of shrub specified? A ******** goblin could fit right into a poorly maintained garden, lawn, or even gutter. They could also disguise as a decorative tree; from a classy dracena to a festive conifer.
    How many people go spouting secrets while standing on their lawn?

11. - Top - End - #1031

How many people go spouting secrets while standing on their lawn?
    Oh, random misplaced shrub, you're the only one who understands me...
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Troll in the Playground

I think the point of the tree shape ability is for DMs to be d*cks. These goblins are for when a party sets up camp in the forest and intelligently makes reasonable defenses, including one or more guards, but you still want to surprise them with an ambush.

"You got a 26 on your spot check? There are no enemies near the campsite. Oh wait whoops. The bush you're standing next to turns into a goblin and stabs you. Roll initiative."
    Probably the most frustrating part is that they don't work that way (at least, if your DM is being reasonable). They have to stay in plant form for 12 hours. Although, a travelling forest of goblins would be interesting.

Edit: Would they be +1 LA if they could control their Tree Shape?
    Last edited by Luccan; 2018-07-29 at 05:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Probably the most frustrating part is that they don't work that way (at least, if your DM is being reasonable). They have to stay in plant form for 12 hours. Although, a travelling forest of goblins would be interesting.

Considering it's only 1/day, I doubt it. If it were at-will, then yeah, I could see making it a weak +1.

... And now I have this mental image of an entire party hiding behind the treeformed goblin cartoon-style to avoid a dimwitted guard patrol.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure they work that way. They just happened to transform exactly 12 hours ago.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sure they work that way. They just happened to transform exactly 12 hours ago.
    Don't even need to utilize DM fiat like that.

After all, it's not like the party's going to start setting up camp after sunset. No, they're going set up camp some hours before, and when the sun sets, bam, the forestkith automatically drop Tree Shape in the middle of the party eating dinner/on downtime.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I just want to see this goblin's reaction when they realize it's an arctic survival campaign...
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Even if Discordant frenzy didn't require a single budy it would still suck, it is alright until you hit level 3 if you pump cha but after that it is garbage and most of the time it is garbage as is. So these guys have a draw back ex, a garbage ex, and a third ex that is useless enough to also be boardline garbage since it is once a day and can't remove for 12 hours by yourself. The only real plus they have over normal goblins is that their ability scores are net 0 and a climb speed. So +0 LA but given their bad special abilities and that their negative stat is int I wouldn't even call them a high +0 they are middling at best.

on a side note there is some questionably anatomical shadowing happening between their legs...

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Golem, Alchemical

I could blame the 22 construct RHD for ruining this thing, but then I'd be neglecting the awful stats (23 strength, 12 dex, otherwise bad or nonexistent), ally-harming abilities (turns out rupturing to spread toxic acid from every other attack isn't great for party members), inability to receive buffs, and tendency to go insane forever after a few rounds of combat.

-0* LA, given that this is literally unplayable as long as Berserk remains.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #1039

Golems: Everyone's favorite unplayable heaps of awful RHD since MM1.

20. - Top - End - #1040

Golems: LA -0 and then some.

Fine, analysis: 22 Construct RHD and ohgodwhy

This is just bad on so many levels that will be elaborated upon by future posts, I just want to point out how it costs 500 GP to restore HP to this thing without the proper magic. Retch.

More seriously, about the only remotely useful attribute is the SR-Yes magic immunity. If you want that, go look for a more playable Golem.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Why do WotC hate monstrous characters so much and goblinoids in particular? I mean seriously, if they'd just dropped the section about monster PCs then people would be able to make it work somehow via houserule without actually ignoring the actual rules... oh wait, maybe because that way they can assign insultingly crippling ECLs to monsters they don't like and justify it by pointing to that section? *facepalms*

You know, I'm starting to understand why Redcloak's so pissy towards humans, nowadays...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It's possible to berserk-proof a golem for only 3000 gp (Dragon #327, page 73). This doesn't affect CR and definitely won't affect LA, because it's still a fat -0, but it can take care of the *.

Along the same lines, it's possible to spend 8000 gp to add an Intelligence score equal to half the creator's caster level (that'd be 7, for the alchemical golem), which is significant improvement, unlocking feats and a single skill point per level.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Why do WotC hate monstrous characters so much and goblinoids in particular? I mean seriously, if they'd just dropped the section about monster PCs then people would be able to make it work somehow via houserule without actually ignoring the actual rules... oh wait, maybe because that way they can assign insultingly crippling ECLs to monsters they don't like and justify it by pointing to that section? *facepalms*

You know, I'm starting to understand why Redcloak's so pissy towards humans, nowadays...
    Oh, I think orcs have it worse. Net negative stat mods, no traits at all beyond darkvision, and a further penalty on top with light sensitivity as if it was somehow already too good. Orcs were handed the shortest of all sticks.

24. - Top - End - #1044

Oh, I think orcs have it worse. Net negative stat mods, no traits at all beyond darkvision, and a further penalty on top with light sensitivity as if it was somehow already too good. Orcs were handed the shortest of all sticks.
    Well, at least +4 strength and no LA is good for something. Now, hobgoblins on the other hand...

25. - Top - End - #1045

Concur, -0*.

For all intents and purposes, it's basically unplayable.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Well, at least +4 strength and no LA is good for something. Now, hobgoblins on the other hand...
    Touché. I forgot that they were actually given +1 LA for whatever insane reason.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

ya nothing above -0* la for that poor poor golem, shudder this is going to be a long while of -0...

28. - Top - End - #1048

MonkGuy

-0* is appropriate for the golem.

Somehow I expected more from the MM3
    3.5 Cast - A GitP member made, third edition podcast
    D&D 3.5 Discord Chat, Come one come all
    The Master Specialist Handbook
    Truly Complete List of 3.5e Base Classes
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    DMG 3.5e page 41:
    "If a player behaves in a way you don't want them to behave, talk to them about it. If they continue, stop playing with them. "
    By RAW, you have to stop playing with the guy.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Orcs. Truly the Half-Orcs of Monster PCs.

As to the Golem: It's terrible. 22 Construct RHD are bad. The lack of any abilities and abysmal stat bonuses make me confident any properly built Warrior could make short work of it. -0
    Last edited by Luccan; 2018-07-31 at 02:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

30. - Top - End - #1050

Golems have bit of the undead problem: their hitdice don't get bonus HP so they need very many of them. This thing could have easily had 11 RHD with a +5 constitution modifier or equivalent. To my knowledge there are no constructs that get +HP per hit die.