New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

I was rereading SS&DT and 4e!Elan actually appears on 16 pages, 4e!Roy Greenhilt 15 pages, 4e!Haley Starshine 15 pages, 4e!Vaarsuvius 13 pages, 4e!Belkar Bitterleaf 12 pages, and 4e!Durkon Thundershield 11 pages. I'm guessing whoever originally counted missed the chapter title page (in which the tips of everyone but 4e!Belkar's heads can be seen) and Page 1 (where the silhouettes of 4e!Roy, 4e!Haley, 4e!Elan, and 4e!Belkar can be seen).

Also, I suppose 4e!Durkon Thundershield should be renamed 4e!Durkon Allotrope Thundershield.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

The count for "Scruff and Tumble" needs the addition of two appearances of an unnamed giant rat (pgs. 26 and 27).

And on a completely different note, it occurs to me that we don't have a listing for Hello Kitty, as seen repeatedly on Monster-San's umbrella.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1138
    Durkon (+1), Minrah (+1), Thor (+1)
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1139
    Durkon (+1), Minrah (+1), Thor (+1)
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

1140: The triumphant return of Pizza and Soda!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1140
    Durkon, Minrah, Pizza, Soda, Thor
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    1140: The triumphant return of Pizza and Soda!
    Well, triumphant in Soda's case at least.

Anyway, does that edge out Zz'dtri for the longest hiatus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Well, triumphant in Soda's case at least.

I don’t think so. They appear in a halftime show during a BRitF bonus strip.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pretty sure Ivan wins that easily.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Pretty sure Ivan wins that easily.
    Yeah Ivan is the longest, and technically his brother too. Surtur gets honorable mention for appearing in #40 and #1012 (voice only). Soda beats out Elan's mother and Soul Muncher though.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, I totally forgot about Ivan.
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Hilgya's husband? When did we see him again?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Hilgya's husband? When did we see him again?
    Ivan shows up in 1114.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Shirra's surname is added, according to this:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...uot-translated
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285

Yeah Ivan is the longest, and technically his brother too. Surtur gets honorable mention for appearing in #40 and #1012 (voice only). Soda beats out Elan's mother and Soul Muncher though.
    Do you mean Hilgya's brother rather than Ivan's brother?
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1141
    Dark One, Demeter, Dragon, Durkon (+1), Frigg, Goddess of Western Pantheon, Loki, Marduk, Minrah (+1), Odin, Ox, Poseidon, Rabbit, Thor (+1), Zeus

Goddess beside Marduk (who appeared in strip 273) is probably Inanna/Ishtar/Astarte. Anyone know who is the winged one supposed to be?
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Updated through 1141
    Dark One, Demeter, Dragon, Durkon (+1), Frigg, Goddess of Western Pantheon, Loki, Marduk, Minrah (+1), Odin, Ox, Poseidon, Rabbit, Thor (+1), Zeus

Goddess beside Marduk (who appeared in strip 273) is probably Inanna/Ishtar/Astarte. Anyone know who is the winged one supposed to be?
    I propose that he is Ninurta. Observe the wings, kilt, beard, and round cap.

Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2018-09-22 at 01:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Updated through 1141

Goddess beside Marduk (who appeared in strip 273) is probably Inanna/Ishtar/Astarte.
    Laurin used "Ishtar's Crown" as an exclamation at least once, FWIW.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Barbarian in the Playground

I propose that he is Ninurta. Observe the wings, kilt, beard, and round cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Laurin used "Ishtar's Crown" as an exclamation at least once, FWIW.
    I will second declaring the gods to be Ishtar and Ninurta, then. Nice research skills!
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2018-09-22 at 06:32 AM.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, new question: who's the fertility goddess that Thor knocks up in 501? She has the yellow quiddity of the northern pantheon, but she's a brunette, and blonde Freya is the northern fertility goddess. I suppose she could be a demigoddess, Sigrun or Iounn, but neither of them is specifically fertility-oriented. Sigrun especially.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, new question: who's the fertility goddess that Thor knocks up in 501? She has the yellow quiddity of the northern pantheon, but she's a brunette, and blonde Freya is the northern fertility goddess. I suppose she could be a demigoddess, Sigrun or Iounn, but neither of them is specifically fertility-oriented. Sigrun especially.
    Why couldn't that one be Freya? I see "a" Freya (Last panel) mentioned in the appearances, but I don't see the reason why she is labeled as Freya. I don't think there is an "official" hair color for Freya, as different interpretations either paint her a brunette or blonde, so that alone shouldn't be the reason.

But say she couldn't be Freya. Norse myth has a couple of other goddesses with fertility as one of their traits:

Frigg, but she is Odin's wife and just got portrayed in the comic.
    Sif, but she the one that makes much more sense as blonde as she is described with golden hair. Then again her high priest is a brunette and high priests tend to look like their god(dess). Also she is Thor's wife in Norse myth.
    Gefjon, but she isn't named in the comic as either major or demi goddess.

Personally I would go with Sif. Because it makes a nice parallel between the wedding on the boat, and the scenario in the "flashback". Assuming stickverse Sif is also Thor's wife.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2018-09-22 at 03:40 PM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Good point about the uncertain ground on which the blonde is identified as Freya.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    Why couldn't that one be Freya? I see "a" Freya (Last panel) mentioned in the appearances, but I don't see the reason why she is labeled as Freya. I don't think there is an "official" hair color for Freya, as different interpretations either paint her a brunette or blonde, so that alone shouldn't be the reason.

But say she couldn't be Freya. Norse myth has a couple of other goddesses with fertility as one of their traits:

Frigg, but she is Odin's wife and just got portrayed in the comic.
    Sif, but she the one that makes much more sense as blonde as she is described with golden hair. Then again her high priest is a brunette and high priests tend to look like their god(dess). Also she is Thor's wife in Norse myth.
    Gefjon, but she isn't named in the comic as either major or demi goddess.

Personally I would go with Sif. Because it makes a nice parallel between the wedding on the boat, and the scenario in the "flashback". Assuming stickverse Sif is also Thor's wife.
    I feel strongly that the goddess from #73 and #273 is not Freya, but almost certainly Sif. She is portrayed as consorting with Thor, and with golden hair, both of which point to Sif rather than Freya. Wrecan and co made an assumption that she was Freya, but there's no in-comic evidence to support this. I think the brunette "fertility goddess" in #501 almost certainly has to be Freya, given that she identifies herself as goddess of fertility in #999, which eliminates her as a possibility of also being the blonde goddess. Sif identifies herself as goddess of earth. So neither Sif nor Frigg can be the goddess from 501, and Gefjon doesn't exist in OOTS.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Wrecan and co made an assumption that she was Freya, but there's no in-comic evidence to support this.
    I check the records, but this happened before the purge of the first thread, so I cannot check any discussion of that time. Maybe someone handier with the way-back machine check this?

Also there is a red +1, indicating there is a bonus appearance, which might explain their naming of Freya. Sadly these things are untracked as far as I can tell, but it must have happened during the first or second book (before #367). If I got time I will check to see if i can find it. Or perhaps someone else is faster then me?

There might still be a reason why they named this blonde goddess Freya.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel strongly that the goddess from #73 and #273 is not Freya, but almost certainly Sif. She is portrayed as consorting with Thor, and with golden hair, both of which point to Sif rather than Freya. Wrecan and co made an assumption that she was Freya, but there's no in-comic evidence to support this. I think the brunette "fertility goddess" in #501 almost certainly has to be Freya, given that she identifies herself as goddess of fertility in #999, which eliminates her as a possibility of also being the blonde goddess. Sif identifies herself as goddess of earth. So neither Sif nor Frigg can be the goddess from 501, and Gefjon doesn't exist in OOTS.
    You mean 274 correct? Additionally, in my Transcription, the one that transcribed 274 labeled her as Frigga, not Freya. Could that be the correct name? Ah, I see that wouldn't be because Frigg was just shown this past comic holding Odin's hand. Alright.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2018-09-24 at 12:08 PM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    You mean 274 correct?
    Sorry, yeah, 274, last panel, arguing with Monkey. Looking at the list, I guess the blonde goddess from 73 isn't attributed to Freya (or any goddess) anyway, but I've always thought of them as the same goddess. So maybe there's yet a third Northern goddess, but with no name, she could easily be any of the Northern goddesses with no depictions: Sif, Sunna, Skadi, Iounn, and Sigrun. I think 999 and 1012 establishes the complete list of Northern deities and demi-gods (so glad I got to use that phrase in a sentence), and drawing on any other Old Norse gods is not possible, unlike with the Western pantheon where we do not know the full roster.

Based on the fact that the goddess in 73 is being "wooed" by Thor, and her blonde hair, I associate her with Sif. Then the goddess in 274 could also be Sif, or could be any other those goddesses. But notice that the blonde goddess in 274 is wearing a green crop-top and a see-through skirt, and the blonde goddess in 73 is wearing a white crop-top and see-through skirt. I think this is evidence that they're the same goddess.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, yeah, 274, last panel, arguing with Monkey. Looking at the list, I guess the blonde goddess from 73 isn't attributed to Freya (or any goddess) anyway, but I've always thought of them as the same goddess. So maybe there's yet a third Northern goddess, but with no name, she could easily be any of the Northern goddesses with no depictions: Sif, Sunna, Skadi, Iounn, and Sigrun. I think 999 and 1012 establishes the complete list of Northern deities and demi-gods (so glad I got to use that phrase in a sentence), and drawing on any other Old Norse gods is not possible, unlike with the Western pantheon where we do not know the full roster.

Based on the fact that the goddess in 73 is being "wooed" by Thor, and her blonde hair, I associate her with Sif. Then the goddess in 274 could also be Sif, or could be any other those goddesses. But notice that the blonde goddess in 274 is wearing a green crop-top and a see-through skirt, and the blonde goddess in 73 is wearing a white crop-top and see-through skirt. I think this is evidence that they're the same goddess.
    I agree with that assumption. We just need to look at the bonus depiction from one of the books for her last appearance to see if it confirms any thing or makes the snag even worse.

Also, I just want to point out through my searching of the story, it's interesting how arguing amongst the group also was the downfall of the linear guild just like the gods. Interesting. Anyway, back on topic.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I agree with that assumption. We just need to look at the bonus depiction from one of the books for her last appearance to see if it confirms any thing or makes the snag even worse.

Also, I just want to point out through my searching of the story, it's interesting how arguing amongst the group also was the downfall of the linear guild just like the gods. Interesting. Anyway, back on topic.
    I feel like the whole plot of OOTS is driving towards a very meta commentary on D&D role playing groups and comic book art, which would be so satisfying for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    I check the records, but this happened before the purge of the first thread, so I cannot check any discussion of that time. Maybe someone handier with the way-back machine check this?

Also there is a red +1, indicating there is a bonus appearance, which might explain their naming of Freya. Sadly these things are untracked as far as I can tell, but it must have happened during the first or second book (before #367). If I got time I will check to see if i can find it. Or perhaps someone else is faster then me?

There might still be a reason why they named this blonde goddess Freya.
    I agree that any discussion of Freya needs to look at that bonus appearance. I don't know where it is either. It might also be in OtOoPC, since that was published before 367 as well.

Edit: Just checked DCF and NCftPB and she's not in the bonus material there. I don't have SoD or OtOoPC handy.
    Last edited by knag; 2018-09-26 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Freya's bonus appearance

29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground

Freya's bonus appearance is from Start of Darkness, p. 37. It's a crayon drawing, the same goddess as from 274, same hair and outfit. There is no further identification of her, no name given in the dialog or in Redcloak's voiceover. So it's correct that the goddess from 274 gets a +1, whoever she is, but it sheds no additional light on this conversation.
    Last edited by knag; 2018-09-26 at 12:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Freya's bonus appearance is from Start of Darkness, p. 37. It's a crayon drawing, the same goddess as from 274, same hair and outfit. There is no further identification of her, no name given in the dialog or in Redcloak's voiceover. So it's correct that the goddess from 274 gets a +1, whoever she is, but it sheds no additional light on this conversation.
    Good find, I went with the start date of the second thread, so I kinda shot myself (and others) in the foot.

Anyhow, because of that I find I can now pinpoint dates and found the places were Freya got name dropped:
    Here she is named for the first time. I am unsure what she was listed at before that (probably not). Also no reason given.
    And here she is counted in start of darkness.. Again no reason given. Also no discussion about her (but there is discussion about Tyr).
    Here is the third mention of Freya. Which also means the current count of 1+1 can't be right.

Not sure how you guys wanna count it then. Most neutral would be to put Freya and Sif at 1 and add an unnamed blonde Norse goddess at 1+1. Ignoring both #73 and #274 because 1 appearance without a name.

Otherwise, I would say Freya at 2, and Sif at 3+1.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2018-09-26 at 01:48 PM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build