New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

Also, Goblins story is already written. The plotting was over once the comic switched to colour.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Also, Goblins story is already written. The plotting was over once the comic switched to colour.
    which is a shame as there is hardly a learning curve to the storytelling.
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2019-01-17 at 02:43 AM.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

i'm sure some small things have changed / could change as time goes on. For example if we assume that Fumbles needs to escape the terrors of McScaryville and the original story was written so that he leaps over a fence and falls on top of Minmax, but then it's decided that it would be more interesting if Fumbles found an armory and proceeded to kickasso his way through McScaryVille and to freedom. likely breaking all but one piece of equipment on the way out.

same point A and B, but different path to get there. Not sure if that has happened or will happen, but i could see it.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94

Iirc, Ears was supposed to die at the war camp. But I can't find where I read that, years ago.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Iirc, Ears was supposed to die at the war camp. But I can't find where I read that, years ago.
    think that was super-early on though. Considering how much of the story revolves around the Axe, i think it was one of the earliest changes.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

New comic is up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what the point of this "twist" is, but ok.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2019-01-21 at 12:40 AM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    New comic is up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what the point of this "twist" is, but oh well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cementing cursed bunny girl as Forgath's love interest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

New comic is up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what the point of this "twist" is, but ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Cementing cursed bunny girl as Forgath's love interest?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because inter-racial lover interests would be completely unheard of in this storyline?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh wait, it's because Forgath's prophecy involves being killed by another dwarf. Obviously not this poisoning because of the lack of screaming, but obviously we are now meant to speculate it might be her.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Been some time since I've quit reading this, been thinking of getting back to it. Is the story really coming to an end, as the title implies?

Last time I've read it, I remember Chief has been dead already, but not much beyond that. Can anybody gI've me an objective, spoiler free opinion... Is it still good? It's been going for a long time now... has the comic jumped a shark already? Or are we still waiting for that to happen?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

11. - Top - End - #101

If there was a shark to be jumped, I think it was with how dialogues are made, since there have been a few times in which they felt rushed (today too). Otherwise, everything as usual, if you ask me.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly if nothing made you leave the comic since Chief died, there's nothing that would make you leave it now.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh wait, it's because Forgath's prophecy involves being killed by another dwarf. Obviously not this poisoning because of the lack of screaming, but obviously we are now meant to speculate it might be her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well he isn't dead yet, and being poisoned sucks. Maybe its a painful poison. Alternatively, wasn't he screaming at that Klik during the fight?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #104
    Colossus in the Playground

I find the twist kinda stupid. It may very well be the whole killed by a dwarf part as a sort of "Haha! You thought the prophecy meant kore, but it really meant THIS!" sort of thing. I can see the process to bring him back involving lots of screaming as well for example.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #105

It might be that Bunny and DimMax start screaming at each other, while Forgath attempts to agonize.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Been some time since I've quit reading this, been thinking of getting back to it. Is the story really coming to an end, as the title implies?

Last time I've read it, I remember Chief has been dead already, but not much beyond that. Can anybody gI've me an objective, spoiler free opinion... Is it still good? It's been going for a long time now... has the comic jumped a shark already? Or are we still waiting for that to happen?
    the comic as a whole isn't coming to an end. the title is in reference to something Thunt said when the current arc began. That we would be sticking around with Forgath and co until that story arc's "shocking conclusion".

Doubt the current page is said "shocking conclusion"
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

MindFlayer

What in the world is this pacing? In three strips we had "Thunt's homebrew race has whatever powers he wants them to, including reviving themselves at will," "I am suddenly dying, trust me, I feel it despite showing no physical traits," "I am not an Elf, I am a Dwarf, your family is my rival. The readers of the comic had no way of knowing this information."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    What in the world is this pacing? In three strips we had "Thunt's homebrew race has whatever powers he wants them to, including reviving themselves at will,"
    Well to be fair, it is HIS homebrew race :P We've seen them do some pretty intensive things when it comes to healing too, replacing limbs, copying souls, etc. So it's not too out there i don't think.

"I am suddenly dying, trust me, I feel it despite showing no physical traits,"
    There actually are some if you look carefully.

Central pannel; No scar on left eye-patch. last pannel, scar on left-eye patch

Pannel 5 and onward; you can see a small bubble right over the scar on the eye-patch

Pretty much every panel; Bubbles grow larger and more abundant, bubbles appear on both shoulders, forehead, by 4th-last panel he's just covered in those small bubbles everywhere.

"I am not an Elf, I am a Dwarf, your family is my rival. The readers of the comic had no way of knowing this information."
    Did think the green spots on his rock-hand may have been appearing / growing as well, but i think that's just the "blood" from the warped klik.

Yeah... i'll give you that. Not sure what the point of that was, other then maybe an excuse to give him the poison flower. feel like it's not supposed to be a HUGE twist though, definitely not "there have been billions of worlds" level at least.

Will say those last two panels look kind of awkward. not horrible though.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post

If you quit shorty after Chief's death, you missed some of the best parts of the story; the Well of Forever arc around Dies Horribly and the Maze of Many storyline are among the best and most concise parts of the story. After those, however, the quality of the story has plummeted sharply; it is now an incoherent mess lacking pacing and direction, with loads of contrivances shoehorning plot points in.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Well to be fair, it is HIS homebrew race :P We've seen them do some pretty intensive things when it comes to healing too, replacing limbs, copying souls, etc. So it's not too out there i don't think.
    The problem is not so much that it is a homebrew race. Rather, traits and abilities for the race get revealed repeatedly after those traits have had an effect on the story, thus making it feel like they get invented to justify what is happening on that page. None of the things Kliks do would be a problem if it had been established well beforehand. But bringing these powers up right as they are needed is. It turns them into a deus ex machina race which is used to enable sudden plot twists that wouldn't be possible otherwise.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

20. - Top - End - #110

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    It turns them into a deus ex machina race which is used to enable sudden plot twists that wouldn't be possible otherwise.
    like when original klik gave DH his Junjor arm way back...
    * my emphasis

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Yeah... i'll give you that. Not sure what the point of that was, other then maybe an excuse to give him the poison flower.
    There was no reason to introduce a poisonous-only-to-dwarves for that. Besides, D&D dwarves are supposed to be greatly resistant to poison, which makes chinroot even more gimmicky.

If the purpose was "actually, Idle is the dwarf of the prophecy" then she didn't need to kill him with poison. She's got experience practicing gruesome suicide, she should have been hardened enough to offer an "I'll make this quick and painless" way out.

Speaking of "toxic-only-to-the-poison-resistant-race", are we going to get another dumb twist where the flower doesn't work on Forgath since he's now considered to be a klick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Even better worst, the poison kills his dwarf side but leaves his klick side so he becomes something yet completely new with even newer powers to pull off his behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    There was no reason to introduce a poisonous-only-to-dwarves for that. Besides, D&D dwarves are supposed to be greatly resistant to poison, which makes chinroot even more gimmicky.

If the purpose was "actually, Idle is the dwarf of the prophecy" then she didn't need to kill him with poison. She's got experience practicing gruesome suicide, she should have been hardened enough to offer an "I'll make this quick and painless" way out.

Speaking of "toxic-only-to-the-poison-resistant-race", are we going to get another dumb twist where the flower doesn't work on Forgath since he's now considered to be a klick?
    If the prophecy requires him to die at the hands of another dwarf then we'd know for certain that the resurrection would work out fine?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RowenMorland View Post
    If the prophecy requires him to die at the hands of another dwarf then we'd know for certain that the resurrection would work out fine?
    If we're going to be meta about it, there's not much reason to introduce the resurrection mechanic if it's not going to work.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RowenMorland View Post
    Yeah, but so would we if she'd said she was a dwarf from the start.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    If we're going to be meta about it, there's not much reason to introduce the resurrection mechanic if it's not going to work.
    True, but there's a lot of space between 'work,' and 'work out fine,' so Forgath could always come-back-wrong.

27. - Top - End - #117

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Sure there is - it's setting up reviving the first metal Klik that got killed by Junior.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If this was really how Forgath's story ends then there would be no narrative reason for him to not just be killed by Kore on the bridge. It shouldn't be that hard to introduce the Klik resurrection method in a different way. I also have a hard time believing Bowst, Idle, and/or Ward will have an impact on the larger story and an even harder time believing they would do so without Forgath leading them to the larger story (which means he would have to live long enough to do so if Thunt wanted any of them to be important.)
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2019-01-26 at 04:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

AssassinGuy

wasn’t Dies klick gone with the wind?
    I mean: turned to dust and blown away.
    * my emphasis

30. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    wasn’t Dies klick gone with the wind?
    I mean: turned to dust and blown away.
    According to this it doesnt take much to make it happen. If Dies saved so much as a handful as a sort of memorial then they could probably get it done back at the klik gathering area easily enough. Im not saying it will happen, im just saying that its possible.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."