New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361

Default Re: OOTS By Page Count

1168 = 1 page

Book 6 is 6 pages until equaling War & XPs.

Book 6 is 86 pages from equaling the published length of Blood Runs In The Family (aka Ungawa Mucho).

2. - Top - End - #362

1169 = 1 page

Book 6 is 5 pages until equaling War & XPs.

Book 6 is 85 pages from equaling the published length of Blood Runs In The Family (aka Ungawa Mucho).

3. - Top - End - #363

1170 = 2 pages

Book 6 is 3 pages until equaling War & XPs.

Book 6 is 83 pages from equaling the published length of Blood Runs In The Family (aka Ungawa Mucho).

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

When you consider extra pages, it’s looking very much like Book 6 will be longer than BRITF. We’re still in the middle of the action, and it’s only about 30 pages until it equals the online length of BRITF.

5. - Top - End - #365

Maybe. But commentary has been getting sparser, and Rich has also remarked that he's not likely to do significant bonus material again. So there isn't likely to be a lot of added pages once this wraps up.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Colossus in the Playground

Blood Runs in the Family had 48 extra pages - the previous two had 46. How does that fit with "commentary is getting sparser"?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #367

What it had were more comic pages, the stuff Rich has said he's not doing much of any more. The commentaries are thinning out because Rich has found he doesn't have as much to talk about any more. But maybe we'll get another StickWorld section instead.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    What it had were more comic pages, the stuff Rich has said he's not doing much of any more.
    I thought that was more Don't Split the Party - which had two big multi-page bonus strip sections, with Blood Runs In the Family having small, one-strip bonuses at most?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

I did this count a while ago and can't remember what criteria I used, but here's my tally of bonus comics:

DCF: 18
    NCftPB: 10
    W&XP: 12
    DStP: 17
    BRitF: 11

So yeah, according to that, BRitF's extra pages were mostly not made up of new comic material.

For most books, there are 10 extra pages before we even get to the first comic: title page & overleaf, foreword, preface, introduction, three pages of recap, then the Round 1 title page and its associated commentary.

And then every Round after that adds two pages for its own title page and commentary. Some rounds have more than one commentary page, but I don't think there's ever been a round entirely without. I don't think that rule has to be set in stone forever, but it's a good guideline for now, anyway.

The very last page of the book is also not in-comic. Add all that up, assume this book will be 9 rounds to be conservative (though my guess is it will be 10 in reality) and we've already got 27 extra pages. I think that's a good minimum to work from.
    Last edited by ella ventic; 2019-07-12 at 09:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370

1171 = 1 page

Book 6 is 2 pages until equaling War & XPs.

Book 6 is 82 pages from equaling the published length of Blood Runs In The Family (aka Ungawa Mucho).

11. - Top - End - #371

1172 = 2 pages

Book 6 now equals War & XPs.

Book 6 is 80 pages from equaling the published length of Blood Runs In The Family (aka Ungawa Mucho).

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    1172 = 2 pages

Book 6 now equals War & XPs.

Book 6 is 80 pages from equaling the published length of Blood Runs In The Family (aka Ungawa Mucho).
    Book 6 also now has a name: Utterly Dwarfed.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #373
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Book 6 also now has a name: Utterly Dwarfed.

Grey Wolf
    Also of note is that the Ookdook page lists Vol 6 as having a total published length of 352 pages.

So someone with more patience than me could math out a range of possible number of strips left in the volume to be posted.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

14. - Top - End - #374

We can't, since Rich has listed several things up in the air (number of bonus strips, guest preface, etc).

15. - Top - End - #375

BlueWizardGirl

Howver, he’s said there’s 11-19 bonus comics and 9 pages of commentary (so min. 20 pages for that) plus a recap (normally 3 pages), an foreword and a map.

So that gives us about 25 pages of bonus content, at the very least. So the maximum number of online comic pages is 327. We are now at 288, so there are, at most, another 39 online comic pages left. I would guess fewer.

A rough guess for the minimum number of online comic pages left - if there are 19 pages of bonus comics, a preface, and “odds and ends” taking up maybe 8 pages (total: 44 pages bonus content) is 18 online comic pages.

So, broad estimate: 18 to 39 online pages left.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2019-07-29 at 05:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Howver, he’s said there’s 11-19 bonus comics and 9 pages of commentary (so min. 20 pages for that) plus a recap (normally 3 pages), an foreword and a map.

So that gives us about 25 pages of bonus content, at the very least. So the maximum number of online comic pages is 327. We are now at 288, so there are, at most, another 39 online comic pages left. I would guess fewer.
    Plus there are introduction pages for each Round, and a preface, and (IIRC) always a mostly-blank page at the end with some random character, usually being snarky, but sometimes just bowing (Miko). I'm going to guess there are going to be maybe 8-10 Rounds, which brings us to 29 online comic pages left at most. Unless some or all of those pages are not included in the total page count, which seems highly unlikely to me, except maybe the random page at the end with the random character.

On another note, can I ask what "Ungawa Mucho" is supposed to mean? I feel like I missed something.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Google translate claims it's Zulu for "you can fall down."

If anything, that just makes me have more questions!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #378

Man, I must be ancient if nobody gets the reference.

Ungawa was a line back in the Weissmuller Tarzan days, generally used for anything really big, really bad, or both (i.e., rampaging rhinos). It kind of spread to every other caveman type character, most notably Bubba on the original Ducktales.

Mucho is just Spanish for much or many, or even really (it's a cromulent multi-use word).

Ungawa mucho is thus something really, really big. Which describes BRITF to a T.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Google translate claims it's Zulu for "you can fall down."

If anything, that just makes me have more questions!
    Same, basically. My own Google search only revealed that "Ungawa" is the word Tarzan used to communicate with the animals, and that it's also used by Dave Chapelle as a parody of how white people address other races.

So now I really want to know why it's being used as a synonym for BRitF. Is it just that the book is too heavy to carry without falling over? Not to brag or anything, but I have been known to carry the entirety of Book 5 across the room without falling down once.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2019-07-29 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Whoops! Ninja'd. Or Tarzan'd, or whatever.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll give it a go anyway!

By cumulative page numbers. Minimum possible is listed to the left of the slash, maximum is to the right. Pretty much in order, from the top:

1 title page
    2 overleaf (copyright info, etc.)
    3 foreword by Haley
    4 preface? may not exist.
    4 / 5 introduction by Rich? may not exist.
    4-6 / 6-8 recap by Durkon. These are usually 3 pages long so the round 1 title page is on a recto (odd-numbered) page.
    7-24 / 9-26 All nine round title pages plus their accompanying commentary pages. (I guessed there would be ten rounds, but according to Rich's post, there are only 9 commentary pages. So nine rounds it is.)
    25-313 / 27-316 The existing 288 (or 289, depending on your count) comic pages.
    314-325 / 317-336 Bonus strips, 11 at minimum, 19 at maximum.
    326 / 337-338 Map of Northern continent. Just guessing that the min is 1 page and max is 2.
    327 (actually 328) / 339 (actually 340) Final page (mostly white page with a character commenting on the book). Must be verso (even-numbered) page, so I've gone to the next even number up.

Using the minimum counts, we've got 352-328=24 comic pages left.

Using the maximum counts, we've got 352-340=12 comic pages left.

And denouements usually take at least 10 strips! Are we going to see this battle won for good in the next two strips? (My guess is no! But maybe this book could have a very short denouement, to launch us into the final arc of the story...?)

21. - Top - End - #381

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Plus there are introduction pages for each Round, and a preface, and (IIRC) always a mostly-blank page at the end with some random character, usually being snarky, but sometimes just bowing (Miko). I'm going to guess there are going to be maybe 8-10 Rounds, which brings us to 29 online comic pages left at most. Unless some or all of those pages are not included in the total page count, which seems highly unlikely to me, except maybe the random page at the end with the random character.

On another note, can I ask what "Ungawa Mucho" is supposed to mean? I feel like I missed something.
    I think the introductory pages for the rounds are the commentary pages that Rich is talking about.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the title pages for the chapters in addition to the commentary. Forgot about those.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2019-07-29 at 05:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Aw, now we can't have a thread where we all make predictions about Book 6's title or featured character on the cover. Oh well, I still find it fun to guess how the chapters will be divided:

Round 1: #947 - #963 (calm during the storm)
    Round 2: #964 - #990 (Tinkertown)
    Round 3: #991 - #1030 (Godsmoot)
    Round 4: #1031 - #1042 (North Pole)
    Round 5: #1043 - #1080 (frost giants)
    Round 6: #1081 - #1089 (Hel of a chapter)
    Round 7: #1090 - #1131 (Firmament)
    Round 8: #1132 - #1154 (life after undeath)
    Round 9: #1155 - (climax)

Maybe merge the Hel/vampire section with the frost giant or Firmament round and Round 9 will be the denouement.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Aw, now we can't have a thread where we all make predictions about Book 6's title or featured character on the cover. Oh well, I still find it fun to guess how the chapters will be divided
    At least we get the fun predictions on how many pages are left in the actual comic (thanks to those of you who went ahead and did the actual math!). I’ll put in my own guesses for rounds:

947-963 (the storm)
    964-990 (Tinkertown)
    991-1030 (the Godsmoot)
    1031-1042 (Kraagor’s Gate)
    1043-1078 (the frost giants)
    1079-1089 (Hel and the vampires)
    1090-1115 (Firmament)
    1116-1131 (defeating Durkon*)
    1132-1148 (the afterlife)
    1149-onward (the Council of Clans)

Peelee’s Lotsey

24. - Top - End - #384

1173 = 2 pages

Book 6, Utterly Dwarfed, is 78 pages from equaling the published length of Blood Runs In The Family.

25. - Top - End - #385

The last four books have had 46 to 48 pages in addition to online content. By that pattern, we've got 304 to 306 online pages in total. So we're about 15 pages from the end.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

26. - Top - End - #386

1174 = 1 pages

Book 6, Utterly Dwarfed, is 77 pages from equaling the published length of Blood Runs In The Family.

27. - Top - End - #387

1175 = 1 page

Book 6, Utterly Dwarfed, is 76 pages from equaling the published length of Blood Runs In The Family.

28. - Top - End - #388

1176 = 1 page

Book 6, Utterly Dwarfed, is 75 pages from equaling the published length of Blood Runs In The Family.

29. - Top - End - #389

1177 = 2 pages

Book 6, Utterly Dwarfed, is 73 pages from equaling the published length of Blood Runs In The Family.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    352 is an even multiple of 16, printers like even multiples of 16, hence it's front and back cover, inside front and back cover, and 352 interior pages.