New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Death Battle 5: Mister Rogers in a Bloodstained Sweater

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    What's more is that this irritates me because after using Rider they may decide put Etrigan against Hellboy and that will be so one-sided it will be just cruel, seeing how Mingola intentionally doesn't allow his character to reach same power levels as Rider and Demon to keep him more relatable.[/SPOILER]
    Did you read "Hellboy in Hell"?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hellboy basically says "screw it" goes full demon power. He then kills the rulers of hell, ALL of them. They didn't stand a snowball's chance in ...er... well there was no way the demons of hell could even slow him down much. Hellboy took on both Leviathan and Behemoth at the same time and wiped the floor with them. Hellboy does break off his horns and give up that power, but it's still there.

I don't think that a normal Hellboy vs Etrigan would be as one sided as you think. Hellboy is immune to hellfire and while he doesn't use much magic, he always has a ton of magical trinkets around and minor Holy artifacts as well. Stuff Etrigan is highly vulnerable to (And Hellboy might be a Saint ). Etrigan is stronger and faster, but we don't know what the Right Hand of Doom would do to him if Hellboy connected with it.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Did you read "Hellboy in Hell"?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hellboy basically says "screw it" goes full demon power. He then kills the rulers of hell, ALL of them. They didn't stand a snowball's chance in ...er... well there was no way the demons of hell could even slow him down much. Hellboy took on both Leviathan and Behemoth at the same time and wiped the floor with them. Hellboy does break off his horns and give up that power, but it's still there.

I don't think that a normal Hellboy vs Etrigan would be as one sided as you think. Hellboy is immune to hellfire and while he doesn't use much magic, he always has a ton of magical trinkets around and minor Holy artifacts as well. Stuff Etrigan is highly vulnerable to (And Hellboy might be a Saint ). Etrigan is stronger and faster, but we don't know what the Right Hand of Doom would do to him if Hellboy connected with it.
    Isn't Hellboy like the legit King of England since hes a direct descendant of Arthur? Thru Modred?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Isn't Hellboy like the legit King of England since hes a direct descendant of Arthur? Thru Modred?
    I think it's to Arthur himself. Can't remember. (edit) The Hellboy wiki lists Hellboy as a direct descendant of Arthur.
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2019-08-04 at 01:16 PM.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned

Goblin

This, amusingly, makes him fighting Etrigan sorta make sense since Etrigan is bound ot Jason Blood, who hails from Camelot himself.

In last Death Battlecast, they posted a link to an official submission form for battles you want to see. I ended up submitting 10 or so, list below if anyone wants to discuss whenever these suggestions are a good idea and would make a good fight or not

Spoiler: In alphabetic order
    Show

Alex Armstrong vs Steven Armstrong (Fullmetal ALchemist vs Metal Gear)
    Alucard vs Blade (Castlevania vs Marvel)
    Arya Stark vs Hit-Girl (Game of Thrones vs Kick-Ass)
    Asuka Kazama vs Sakura Kasugano (Tekken vs Street Fighter)
    Cassandra Cain vs X-23 (Batman vs X-Men)
    Dio Brando vs Nox (JoJo'S Bizarre Adventure vs Wakfu)
    Gordon Freeman vs Isaac Clarke (Half-Life vs Dead Space)
    Harley Quinn vs Jinx (Batman vs League of Legends)
    Harry Dresden vs John Constantine (Dresden Files vs DC Comics)
    Moriggan vs Yennefer (Dragon Age vs the Witcher)
    Ragnar Lothbork vs Thorkell the Tall (Vikings vs Vinland Saga)
    Rayne vs Seras Victoria (Bloodrayne vs Hellsing)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Ayyyy Vinland Saga representation! Although I'm pretty sure Thorkell is an unfair match for anyone resembling a historical-level Viking, like. The dude slices through soldiers like a knife through hot, gory butter.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Alucard vs Blade (Castlevania vs Marvel)
    I was playing through Symphony of the Night recently and, unbidden, the thought I had was Alucard vs. Morbius. Since apparently the Morbius' movie is next year and the whole SEO synergy thing. Though now Blade's going to be a thing again too, so, either way.

Arya Stark vs Hit-Girl (Game of Thrones vs Kick-Ass)
    That works thematically pretty well, but as a battle would be kind of one-sided for Hit-Girl. Like, that battle should go "Hit-Girl pulls out an assault rifle, pulls trigger, blood splatter, The End".

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

I think it depends on how many covert shenanigans are possible. If Arya can catch her off-guard with a timely Faceless disguise and get close enough to render the gun not an option, she has a chance.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2019-08-04 at 10:38 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Harry Dresden Vs. John Constantine?

*looks up Constantine* I'm comparing the two....and while Harry is the one thats more optimized for a straight up fight, with his blasting magic, better physical fitness, the Winter Knight mantle, and so on, Constantine seems to have a bunch of hax tricks and this luck ability and such that I'm not sure
    what the true implications of are, but its DC so I'm sure its hax because he lives in the same universe as freaking Superman and Dream of the Endless. so I'm sure that they'd give the win to Constantine, its the only one I'm vaguely interested in seeing, if only to get more people hearing about Harry Dresden, even if he loses.

but then again DB is all about those straight up fights, and Constantine seems to be more of a con-artist planning type who tries to avoid fights as much as possible so Harry might win if only because Constantine would be trying to play the wrong game or at least playing with the wrong tools
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I think it depends on how many covert shenanigans are possible. If Arya can catch her off-guard with a timely Faceless disguise and get close enough to render the gun not an option, she has a chance.
    Yeah, you'd need to give Arya generous circumstances up front for that to be possible.

Arya's just not from a sufficiently advanced civilization to deal with modern firearms in terms of her equipment, her tactics, and just general experience in being able to act under gunfire. While Hit-Girl is capable and experienced enough to not make any obvious mistakes, as opposed to some faceless mook with a gun in the same situation. That's without getting Hit-Girl's martial arts training, or that she'd be wearing Kevlar which is pretty resistant against bladed weapons as well.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Harry Dresden Vs. John Constantine?

*looks up Constantine* I'm comparing the two....and while Harry is the one thats more optimized for a straight up fight, with his blasting magic, better physical fitness, the Winter Knight mantle, and so on, Constantine seems to have a bunch of hax tricks and this luck ability and such that I'm not sure
    what the true implications of are, but its DC so I'm sure its hax because he lives in the same universe as freaking Superman and Dream of the Endless. so I'm sure that they'd give the win to Constantine, its the only one I'm vaguely interested in seeing, if only to get more people hearing about Harry Dresden, even if he loses.

but then again DB is all about those straight up fights, and Constantine seems to be more of a con-artist planning type who tries to avoid fights as much as possible so Harry might win if only because Constantine would be trying to play the wrong game or at least playing with the wrong tools
    Constantine seems to be an interesting one because he’s a DC/Vertigo character that doesn’t do a lot of straight up fighting. But then he’s in the DC universe...when he does throw down he throws down hard.

Constantine can outright destroy powerful magical beings, perform mass mind control, time travel, and the dozens of other powerful things reality warping sorcerers do in the DC universe. From what I an gather there may be an argument he is superior to and should scale to Zatanna.

He has tanked absurdly deadly magics, has dodged bullets, and done other stuff suggesting fantastic attribute...although his body (except for rare occasions) is that of a normal human.

He can also summon powerful allies but that part DB isn’t consistent with what they’d let in. The rule was articulated that a third party has to be part of one’s “arsenal” to participate.

Dresden has done some extremely potent things and may tend towards viewing things that are extraordinarily destructive...but Constantine may just be another example that the DC is full of characters that are just nuts on the power scale...because he fought some of them and won.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2019-08-05 at 12:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Constantine seems to be an interesting one because he’s a DC/Vertigo character that doesn’t do a lot of straight up fighting. But then he’s in the DC universe...when he does throw down he throws down hard.

Constantine can outright destroy powerful magical beings, perform mass mind control, time travel, and the dozens of other powerful things reality warping sorcerers do in the DC universe. From what I an gather there may be an argument he is superior to and should scale to Zatanna.

He has tanked absurdly deadly magics, has dodged bullets, and done other stuff suggesting fantastic attribute...although his body (except for rare occasions) is that of a normal human.
    I KNEW IT! I freaking knew it, stupid DC and their ridiculous cosmology. what the heck even is this cosmology, theres like 50 worlds here and there, eight planes above that, something about this rainbow being a membrane and then The Source and Destiny of the Endless, and then I read how people actually try to explain this and its all 5th dimensional this and that, endless dimensions, megaverses,dark megaverses, infinite multiverses in an omniverse, something about hypertime, limbo, monitor sphere, and so on.

its kind of a problem when your cosmology seems to resemble a vast excuse to come up with as many different synonyms for parallel universes as possible on the low level and an excuse to break the fourth wall and be meta on the higher level. how many godlike beings do you really need? its like some elaborate set up so someone can make anything they can imagine happen as long as they mutter the right cosmobabble.

and its not even consistent, so much of it is illogical and subject to change and expansion. the DC Universe is a nonsense fractal.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Banned

I KNEW IT! I freaking knew it, stupid DC and their ridiculous cosmology. what the heck even is this cosmology, theres like 50 worlds here and there, eight planes above that, something about this rainbow being a membrane and then The Source and Destiny of the Endless, and then I read how people actually try to explain this and its all 5th dimensional this and that, endless dimensions, megaverses,dark megaverses, infinite multiverses in an omniverse, something about hypertime, limbo, monitor sphere, and so on.

its kind of a problem when your cosmology seems to resemble a vast excuse to come up with as many different synonyms for parallel universes as possible on the low level and an excuse to break the fourth wall and be meta on the higher level. how many godlike beings do you really need? its like some elaborate set up so someone can make anything they can imagine happen as long as they mutter the right cosmobabble.

and its not even consistent, so much of it is illogical and subject to change and expansion. the DC Universe is a nonsense fractal.
    I mean, you're not wrong that it's ridiculous, but it's just a comic. It's hardly even the most ridiculous thing in this thread. No reason to let it upset you.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I mean, you're not wrong that it's ridiculous, but it's just a comic. It's hardly even the most ridiculous thing in this thread. No reason to let it upset you.
    I exaggerating a little for effect, let me have my passions.

but I disagree on anything being more ridiculous than the DC cosmology after trying to look up things trying to explain the DC cosmology. I have not read a single setting or cosmology more nonsensical or more needlessly complex in my entire life.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Banned

I exaggerating a little for effect, let me have my passions.

but I disagree on anything being more ridiculous than the DC cosmology after trying to look up things trying to explain the DC cosmology. I have not read a single setting or cosmology more nonsensical or more needlessly complex in my entire life.
    Well, if you think that's bad, don't forget that it constantly changes based on whatever story they're currently telling wants it to be.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Well, if you think that's bad, don't forget that it constantly changes based on whatever story they're currently telling wants it to be.
    I'm not. the reddit topic I found discussing it said exactly that. when I say its a nonsense fractal, I do not use exaggeration. cause see, no matter how high or small you go, it doesn't make sense, and since it changes its nonsense over time, that nonsense fractal extends into the fourth dimension of time. since the medium is flat however, I'm not sure if the fractal extends to the 3rd dimension of depth though.

therefore, the best summation of DC universe metaphysics is that its Calvinball. there is a whole bunch of complex nonsense that seems important, but in practice its Calvinball. thats why its so powerful, it literally has built itself into something that doesn't care about being consistent in the least, and made an entire cosmology to do nothing but be a constantly changing cosmobabble as to why. it makes other cosmologies look well-designed by comparison.

Its basically the embodiment of everything that wins these things: Longevity and Flexibility. no wonder people call for consistency so much with this kind of nonsense coming from no consistency at all.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Colossus in the Playground

He can also summon powerful allies but that part DB isn’t consistent with what they’d let in. The rule was articulated that a third party has to be part of one’s “arsenal” to participate.

Dresden has done some extremely potent things and may tend towards viewing things that are extraordinarily destructive...but Constantine may just be another example that the DC is full of characters that are just nuts on the power scale...because he fought some of them and won.
    You know, with the summoning allies thing, that could get messy rather fast. Dresden can also summon demons, he can call on the fae up to and including the various queens, knights, or even the wildfae like the erlking or oberron, though its generally a very very bad idea unless he has a good plot up his sleeves. But also, he has Bob. A ludicrously powerful google search engine for all things magical
    Spoiler
    Show
    that once almost killed HIM when he accidentally unlocked its lethal potential.
    And finally, I say,
    Spoiler
    Show
    GIVE HIM SUE! I wanna see constantine react to a zombie trex being ridden into battle. lol Sure he has probably seen worse but thats the sort of thing that grabs your attention.

But yeah, in the end its probably constantine who would win because dc comics are utterly broken. I dont even know what sort of feats he can pull off as I never read his comics, ive just heard of him and the gist of what he does. But again, dc comics, therefore absurdity.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

In the Hellblazer comics proper Constantine’s strongest technique was always, sacrifice random nearby friend to dodge trouble! Something he wouldn’t have in a death battle. And in an straight up fight Harry fights just as dirty as John does. The main issue here onstage differences between magic in both settings meaning Dresden has well defined abilities with clear limitations and Constantine does not.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    In the Hellblazer comics proper Constantine’s strongest technique was always, sacrifice random nearby friend to dodge trouble! Something he wouldn’t have in a death battle. And in an straight up fight Harry fights just as dirty as John does. The main issue here onstage differences between magic in both settings meaning Dresden has well defined abilities with clear limitations and Constantine does not.
    I completely agree. Dresden is more often than not shown as a highly lethal wizard with very destructive magics. That is just not (usually) Constantine’s style. However, Constantine can use magic to do all sorts of things Dresden cannot.

I’d note that its a D&D truism that the blaster mage is the weakest of wizards. The best spells are save or suck, those that redirect the enemy or control the entire battlefield, summon allies far more powerful than your entire team, or simply don’t allow a saving throw.

Constantine does a lot more in the realm of the really broken magic...and boy is his magic broken. Also, when he does use blaster magic, its on a scale greater than Dresden’s.

To point out the difference in scale: The Winter Knight’s superpowers doesn’t even rank in the DC universe. Constantine is recognized as one of the most powerful wizards in a universe that includes Doctor Fate, Zatanna, and countless other reality warpering entities like Nightmare Nurse. Constantine can (and does) even summon these.

I’m afraid Dresden simply isn’t a DC universe level wizard.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

To be fair part of the problem is that Harry refuses to actually draw upon the Winter Mantle for anything but the most shallow uses. Although even at full power it’s more a weakness then a str. Constantine would never miss a chance to nail him with iron and then Harry is totally out of the fight.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

How would Constantine know how to nail Dresden with iron?

Would it be his precog, or intelligence, or his vast knowledge, or he just can intuit the type of magic and Fairie magic works the same way in DC?

I wouldn’t count on Constantine knowing the weakness from background knowledge, since a DB rule is the two don’t know anything about other unless they do in canon (strictly construed, I don’t think it’s actually happened). He doesn’t need it though. Constantine can win this one in every which way, by speed (cause those comicreaction times are crazy, and Constantine has dodged bullets and beams and such), by intelligent strategy, by trickery, by sheer power, even sheer luck (Constantine has luck powers as the embodiment of The Fool).

There will never be a Dresden battle however because Harry Dresden hasn’t appeared in enough media. If he did fight Constantine is way too much for him, the more interesting battle is Harry Dresden vs Harry Potter.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Would it be his precog, or intelligence, or his vast knowledge, or he just can intuit the type of magic and Fairie magic works the same way in DC?

I wouldn’t count on Constantine knowing the weakness from background knowledge, since a DB rule is the two don’t know anything about other unless they do in canon (strictly construed, I don’t think it’s actually happened). He doesn’t need it though. Constantine can win this one in every which way, by speed (cause those comicreaction times are crazy, and Constantine has dodged bullets and beams and such), by intelligent strategy, by trickery, by sheer power, even sheer luck (Constantine has luck powers as the embodiment of The Fool).

There will never be a Dresden battle however because Harry Dresden hasn’t appeared in enough media. If he did fight Constantine is way too much for him, the more interesting battle is Harry Dresden vs Harry Potter.
    Dresden wins that fight easily. Potter is scrappy in a fight, but Dresden's evocations are simply better suited for combat than Potter's spells are. Plus, if it comes down to it, Dresden will just pull out his revolver and shoot Potter.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Dresden wins that fight easily. Potter is scrappy in a fight, but Dresden's evocations are simply better suited for combat than Potter's spells are. Plus, if it comes down to it, Dresden will just pull out his revolver and shoot Potter.
    yea even with avada kedavra, word of god says gun out speeds wands every time, so while potter is going "avad-" BANG! Dresden shoots him before he can finish the incantation.

23. - Top - End - #233

yea even with avada kedavra, word of god says gun out speeds wands every time, so while potter is going "avad-" BANG! Dresden shoots him before he can finish the incantation.
    No it doesn't. Nobody to my knowledge has managed to produce an actual source for the 'quote' that a shotgun farmer outdoes a Potter-wizard in every way, and it's a personal peeve that people keep putting 'facts' into HP under the guise of 'Rowling said it', so I'm sorry if I come off as a bit testy.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2019-08-05 at 02:44 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    No it doesn't. Nobody to my knowledge has managed to produce an actual source for the 'quote' that a shotgun farmer outdoes a Potter-wizard in every way, and it's a personal peeve that people keep putting 'facts' into HP under the guise of 'Rowling said it', so I'm sorry if I come off as a bit testy.
    okay, whatever dude, but we don't need word of god, we just need logic:
    potter wand needs incantation and complex wand waving.
    gun just needs to pull trigger

one is much simpler than the other, dresden has tons of combat experience getting attacked by people out of nowhere, and he has both spell and pop-culture knowledge up the wazoo, even if he doesn't know potter magic exists, he knows that Avada Kedavra are words that are nonsense enough to be used as incantations in his own magic system and basically mean death, so he'd react fast enough thinking that Potters incantation is a death curse from his own system of magic and needs to disrupt it before he can get it off, so....Potter dead no matter what.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So, just to note a few things about Potter. (I feel like it's already been said, so please feel free to correct me)
    + Potter has good enough reflexes to catch a small flying evasive ball, while flying in a different direction and dodging several homing(?), bigger balls targeted directly at him. Not to mention eyesight keen enough to locate that orb from across a playing field. He also knows about guns while Dresden doesn't know much about Potterverse magic.
    + Going by the movies, many spells are just "point and shoot" - without need for special wand movements.
    + Also, Many spells could be cast silently. While we don't know if the Killing Curse could be, other lethal spells could definitely be. (For example that spell that lifts and hangs the target in the air).
    + Not to mention, there is not much time to do anything after hearing the words of the Killing Curse. There is no known surefire way to block, dodge, or avoid it. (Other than being Harry Potter in a very special set of circumstances).

I'm sure Dresden has many tricks, and would love to hear about hem. But those are my main concerns.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    + Not to mention, there is not much time to do anything after hearing the words of the Killing Curse. There is no known surefire way to block, dodge, or avoid it. (Other than being Harry Potter in a very special set of circumstances).
    Putting a sufficiently bulky physical object in the way will do it, and AFAIK it's always been depicted as a beam or dart without tracking/homing capabilities, so you could presumably dodge it in the same way one can dodge bullets - which is to say track where the wand is pointing and don't be there when they actually launch the spell/pull the trigger. Theoretically if you had good enough reflexes/could cast fast enough/had something like a Contingency effect you could teleport out of the way of it. The 'unblockability' has only been depicted in regards to magical effects - it'll rip through most magical barriers, which is only a major problem defending against it if you are convinced that a Harry Potter-type Protego shield is the only magic defense you need.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Well, technically Dresden was once a ghost, so that version of Dresden and can posses Potter and make him strangle himself, so that version of Dresden is already immune to avada kedavra. can't kill whats already dead.

also I exclusively use the book versions of Potter. so movies don't count. have to say the incantation.

also in Dresdenverse, Harry's a Warden so he is likely to be sent to track down a new wizard in his world and kill them early before they start misusing their power, so the most likely scenario where they meet is Dresden killing Potter when he is eleven at the Dursleys.

while Potter is limited to his school and such, so its more likely for Dresden to get the drop on HIM, since Dresden can travel anywhere for his magical private eye job.

Edit: also is Avada Kedavra really that unstoppable if Potter himself keeps countering it with Expelliarmus? all that spell is supposed to is disarm someone of their wand, so can't you just counter it with a magical blast rather than a shield? also they keep using avada kedavra at REALLY close ranges, when a gun can kill someone from farther away than that, thats the entire point of having a ranged weapon, so lacking evidence that avada kedavra is actually good at range, its safe to assume that guns win anyways because you can shoot from farther.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-08-05 at 05:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238

So, just to note a few things about Potter. (I feel like it's already been said, so please feel free to correct me)
    Just touching up on some of these points:
    + Potter has good enough reflexes to catch a small flying evasive ball, while flying in a different direction and dodging several homing(?), bigger balls targeted directly at him. Not to mention eyesight keen enough to locate that orb from across a playing field. He also knows about guns while Dresden doesn't know much about Potterverse magic.
    Pretty much, yes. Harry's Firebolt broom is advertised in the third book as being able to go from 0-150 MPH in ten seconds. Whether its top speed is even faster isn't stated, but Quidditch is played at extremely fast speeds... and then in the fifth book (ie, after two years experience riding that broom), Bellatrix Lestrange utterly dominates Harry in their duel, casting spells so fast he can barely react to them. By the sixth (or maybe the seventh, I can't really remember off the top of my head) book, Harry's able to fight her equally, so he's on that kind of level too.

+ Also, Many spells could be cast silently. While we don't know if the Killing Curse could be, other lethal spells could definitely be. (For example that spell that lifts and hangs the target in the air).
    There's nothing to say that the killing curse can't be cast silently, but I don't feel like Potter would use it as his opening move, even in Death Battle. The wiki also says that Potter's not very good at nonverbal magic, although I have some doubts on that.

Tyckspoon covers most of this: there's a few ways to avoid the killing curse, although they mostly boil down to dodging and/or having a heavy object take the attack instead. Most of the cover that Dumbledore and Harry actually use is blown to bits when it gets hit, but I don't think it's clear if this is a property of Avada Kedavra or if it's just because Voldemort's strong enough that even his failed spells make things explode.

That said, I feel like it would be very out of character for Potter to lead with the killing curse. Even if we go by the DB relaxing of characters' aversion to killing, Potter's had a lot of character moments about how he won't kill people if he can avoid it (he does at one point imply that he might be OK with killing in self-defence, but that never gets tested*). He'd probably go with Expelliarmus, which tbf has most of the problems that AK does, or a shield charm (which can probably block bullets), as Potter does know what a gun is and the basics of how it works.

*He's OK with letting Umbridge and the centaurs get abandoned to an agressive enemy, but there also wasn't really anything he could have done at the time if he wanted to save them.
    I'm sure Dresden has many tricks, and would love to hear about them. But those are my main concerns.
    To be honest, I feel like Dresden probably has the edge in this fight. I don't know much about the Dresden files, but Potterverse wizards tend to fall behind other settings in raw power, and at the very least Dresden is a big man who knows how to handle himself in a physical fight.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Razeire
    Edit: also is Avada Kedavra really that unstoppable if Potter himself keeps countering it with Expelliarmus? all that spell is supposed to is disarm someone of their wand, so can't you just counter it with a magical blast rather than a shield? also they keep using avada kedavra at REALLY close ranges, when a gun can kill someone from farther away than that, thats the entire point of having a ranged weapon, so lacking evidence that avada kedavra is actually good at range, its safe to assume that guns win anyways because you can shoot from farther.
    Potter surviving the killing curse is due to his mother, Voldemort and Dumbledore invoking (Unintentionally, in the case of the first two) ancient, poorly understood magic that dwarfs anything a regular Potter wizard can do. Harry can only outright block the killing curse thanks to shenanigans involving the wands he and Voldemort were using at the times it happened: it's something that nobody else in the world could have done (except for that one time, when one other person briefly could have)
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2019-08-05 at 05:28 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

The power of iron to screw with the fae is consistent across both settings, and even in the series where he isn’t suffering from huge DC power creep Constantine’s real strength is knowledge and quick the moment thinking. Identifying Dresden in up to his ears in fairy magic and doing something basic like use iron to counter it is a given. The hard part might be getting it past Harry’s extensive protections.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Well, technically Dresden was once a ghost, so that version of Dresden and can posses Potter and make him strangle himself, so that version of Dresden is already immune to avada kedavra. can't kill whats already dead.

also I exclusively use the book versions of Potter. so movies don't count. have to say the incantation.

also in Dresdenverse, Harry's a Warden so he is likely to be sent to track down a new wizard in his world and kill them early before they start misusing their power, so the most likely scenario where they meet is Dresden killing Potter when he is eleven at the Dursleys.
    Ghosts are not immune to magic, and anyway that is a middle book and Dresden is way past it.

The movie doesn't contradict the book. Harry Potter studied silent magic from Snape in book six. While the killing curse can't be cast silently, virtually any other spell, including the stunning spell counts.

Dresden hunting down Harry when he's 11 without magic because you decided that's the scenario and HP just pops into Dresdens world at that age

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    The power of iron to screw with the fae is consistent across both settings, and even in the series where he isn’t suffering from huge DC power creep Constantine’s real strength is knowledge and quick the moment thinking. Identifying Dresden in up to his ears in fairy magic and doing something basic like use iron to counter it is a given. The hard part might be getting it past Harry’s extensive protections.
    The problem here is that real world (purported) fae magic, Dresden's fae magic, and DC fae magic are three very different things. I totally get that its tempting to have Dresden's magic be familiar to Constantine because he's so knowledgable about everything (of course Dresden is also supposed to be pretty knowledgable...), but the two come from different universes.

Its entirely plausible Constantine should find Dresden's magic unusual and vice-versa. I'm not sure the reverse is as plausible.