New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

For what it's worth, Miracles is still a pretty good deck in Legacy, if not as dominant as it once was, and often still plays some number of Counterbalance.

I think the printing of Plague Engineer has done a lot to prevent Goblins from getting much done despite their new toys.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Porphyry nodes is a great example of cards that seem to be good but is just too slow for modern. The decks that it is good against, like zoo, will kill you before it kills more than one creature. This makes it really hard to find a home, because at that point you have to ask why you aren't just playing Timely.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Porphyry nodes is a great example of cards that seem to be good but is just too slow for modern. The decks that it is good against, like zoo, will kill you before it kills more than one creature. This makes it really hard to find a home, because at that point you have to ask why you aren't just playing Timely.
    Porphyry Nodes in Modern Turbofog?

Setting aside how unlikely it would be for turbofog to be a thing.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

In Turbofog, you deal with your opponent's creatures by chaining together Fog type spells until you "go off" and win in some way that doesn't really interact with your opponent's board at all. Porphyry Nodes might kill all your opponent's creatures if you have infinite turns, but if you have infinite turns, why bother?

There is one deck I'm aware of that plays it maindeck - Enduring Ideal. A deck completely focused on stalling until can cast a seven mana spell, and then tutoring out enchantments from the deck turn-by-turn until it wins. Porphyry Nodes helps with the stalling, and can be a useful target for Enduring Ideal to help stabilize. It couldn't be more well-suited - if Enduring Ideal was actually the top supervillain of Modern, Porphyry Nodes might be one of its loyal henchmen, much like Gravecrawler or Stitcher's Supplier are currently in the employ of Hogaak.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2019-08-15 at 01:24 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm probably going to post this question on the Reddit too, but this site isn't blocked at work and Reddit is so...

Can y'all think of some jank to abuse Evra, Halcyon Witness [EDH]?
    She is a 4/4, Lifelink, and for (4) Mana, I can switch her power w/ my life total.

I am not setting the bar at A-tier, as if that existed it would probably be more prevalent already. My immediate thoughts are:
    1) Sanguine Bond - I attack w/ 40 lifelink, they lose 40 life.
    2) Soul Conduit, where I go from 40 to 4, then switch my 4 with opponent

Any other thoughts? I'm looking at Black/White, but open to anything. I prefer hilarious combos rather than things that are likely to actually pull off.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Mirror universe seems good. Drop your life to 4 to make a 30/30 angel, drop an opponent to 4 and gain back 30 life.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

The...the $200 card? Y'know I would love add that to the deck. Mind sending me one? lol

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Karnitis View Post
    The...the $200 card? Y'know I would love add that to the deck. Mind sending me one? lol
    Well you are in black, so Magus of the Mirror works as well. There is also Axis of Mortality which you can use again and again.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm probably going to post this question on the Reddit too, but this site isn't blocked at work and Reddit is so...

Can y'all think of some jank to abuse Evra, Halcyon Witness [EDH]?
    She is a 4/4, Lifelink, and for (4) Mana, I can switch her power w/ my life total.

I am not setting the bar at A-tier, as if that existed it would probably be more prevalent already. My immediate thoughts are:
    1) Sanguine Bond - I attack w/ 40 lifelink, they lose 40 life.
    2) Soul Conduit, where I go from 40 to 4, then switch my 4 with opponent

Any other thoughts? I'm looking at Black/White, but open to anything. I prefer hilarious combos rather than things that are likely to actually pull off.
    Here's the best combo with Evra:
    1. Have more life than your opponent
    2. Switch power and life total
    3. Kill opponent and gain back the life

The problem with Evra is that the opponent can just concede when you swing, leaving you at four if you can't pay to switch again.

More fun combos. Most very bad. Keep in mind that when you switch back you gain life equal to the difference.

Sanguine Bond - 8: Each opponent loses your life total-4 life.
    Rhox Faithmender - 8: Your lifetotal becomes twice your lifetotal-4.

It retains buffs, so if she has 5 +1/+1 counters on when you switch, her base power becomes your life total, switching back will leave you 5 more life. Best utilized if you also swing with her.

Axis of Mortality - Switch your life during an opponent's end step. During your upkeep switch your opponent's life with your own 4.

Soul Conduit - Switch, then swap life with an opponent, leaving them at 4.

Not really a combo, but Blazing Hope becomes a quality removal spell when you can drop to four life easily.

Black so doesn't work if Evra is your commander, but:
    Repay in Kind - Switch, then make everyone else's life total 4.
    Tainted Sigil - Gain life equal to the difference between your life total and Evra's power when you activated her. Gain even more if you connect with her.

Green:
    Tree of Redemption - more shenanigans.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There is also Repay in Kind, so if you have a lot of mana you can force the entire board down to 4 life then return your life to normal.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground

I may be misremembering rules, but if you have equipment or I think an effect like Overwhelming Stampede up that increases her power by 5, you can use Channel to get infinite life and infinite mana.

Also, Overwhelming Stampede, Soul's Majesty, Garruk Primal Hunter are good in general, but obviously not usable with B/W.

Necrotic Ooze is also hilarious with Tree of Redemption.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    I may be misremembering rules, but if you have equipment or I think an effect like Overwhelming Stampede up that increases her power by 5, you can use Channel to get infinite life and infinite mana.
    Channel is banned in commander though.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

You could just play with Commander players that aren't so spiteful as to deny you the life when you attack with Evra, or play with the common houserule of conceding at sorcery speed only. We all know Evra isn't that great so I'm sure some people will just let you have it this once.

Not mentioned yet, Reverse the Sands is fun with Evra. Go to 4, then switch around everyone's life totals, basically like Soul Conduit but more of a surprise because it's a sorcery. Arbiter of Knollridge (and other life total setting effects) will also help if you want to activate it. Otherwise evasion is very helpful for things that want to attack, as is forms of protection. Do not let your opponents give Evra negative power before you switch.

Here's a good one: Vilis, Broker of Blood. When your life total becomes 4, you actually lose life equal to the difference between 4 and your current life total, which means Vilis will draw you many cards. Then, hopefully, you can gain it all back! Lich's Mastery and Well of Lost Dreams also give you cards when you gain life, so that might be a good choice. Cradle of Vitality is also a good life gain support card, since it lets you put +1/+1 counters equal to life gained on a creature like Evra, effectively doubling your life total when you switch back.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2019-08-24 at 01:05 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Lich's Mastery and Well of Lost Dreams also give you cards when you gain life, so that might be a good choice.
    Make sure you you play Mastery after swapping down in life, otherwise you’ll have to exile cards a bunch of cards (unless you respond to life loss trigger by swapping your life total back up)

Sunbond is probably worth mentioning along with Cradle of Vitality, as it does a very similar thing.

Also on cards that probably shouldn’t be played, Transcendence is amusing if you have some way to not lose the game..
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Don't forget that if you are exchanging life totals you can abuse Necropotence and Bolas' Citadel pretty hard. Run off a ton of life on the last end step before your turn, then take someone else's life with a fist full of card advantage.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Would a shrew have "rat" or "squirrel" as a subtype?

EDIT: Apparently neither, as it turns out shrews aren't actually rodents. I guess Emrakul's nonexistent five-legged companion would be... Beast Mutant? Eldrazi Beast? OOH! I've got an idea; has Emrakul ever been to Kamigawa{?}
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-08-25 at 03:16 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Would a shrew have "rat" or "squirrel" as a subtype?

EDIT: Apparently neither, as it turns out shrews aren't actually rodents. I guess Emrakul's nonexistent five-legged companion would be... Beast Mutant? Eldrazi Beast? OOH! I've got an idea; has Emrakul ever been to Kamigawa{?}
    It'd be a Eldrazi beast, yeah. And no, she has not as far as we're aware.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Thanks for the help guys! I love these suggests for a jank deck. My playgroup likes gimmick more than anything, so regular life gain/drain would be boring. This really tosses it up. I am DEFINITELY buying Axis of Mortality as a cheaper Soul Conduit.

The only thing I wanted to clarify was, does Evra make me "lose" life? A few cards y'all quoted activates based off lost life, but I see "exchange" as a different wording. If I go from 40 to 4, I realize that's a decrease in life, but I wasn't sure if that (mtg)legally activated the same way.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the help guys! I love these suggests for a jank deck. My playgroup likes gimmick more than anything, so regular life gain/drain would be boring. This really tosses it up. I am DEFINITELY buying Axis of Mortality as a cheaper Soul Conduit.

The only thing I wanted to clarify was, does Evra make me "lose" life? A few cards y'all quoted activates based off lost life, but I see "exchange" as a different wording. If I go from 40 to 4, I realize that's a decrease in life, but I wasn't sure if that (mtg)legally activated the same way.
    When you switch life to less life you lose the difference, and when you switch life to more life you gain the difference. Yes it has synergy with those effects.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

They finally banned faithless looting in modern, banned hogaak and unbanned stoneforge mystic.

The age of Dredge is over. The age of Tron is about to begin (as the new meta encourages Jund vs. Stoneblade midrange matches.)

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm just excited to be able to play Storm again. Man those T0 leyline of the voids were obnoxious for a while there.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I'm not really sure what we do about Tron, now. Guess we can make space for all our Tron hate by shaving on some Leylines?
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Easiest way to beat tron is just to kill them before they tap 3 lands.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is D&T good against Tron? It feels like it should be with all the land hate and mana taxes, and SFM slots right into it. OTOH D&T is a little slow, Tron might just roll it anyway.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Death and Taxes is Humans in the Modern world.

Stoneforge Mystic might be enough to reason to play D&T over Humans, but in my experience it's never been a good matchup against Tron as traditional d&t. You don't really kill them that quickly, and your disruptive elements are colored permanents. If you can kill them before they can cast Oblivion Stone or Ugin you're going to be fine, but otherwise it's just awful. Tron has gotten a lot of love in the last 2 years including Walking Ballista and Blast Zone.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Death and Taxes is Humans in the Modern world.

Stoneforge Mystic might be enough to reason to play D&T over Humans, but in my experience it's never been a good matchup against Tron as traditional d&t. You don't really kill them that quickly, and your disruptive elements are colored permanents. If you can kill them before they can cast Oblivion Stone or Ugin you're going to be fine, but otherwise it's just awful. Tron has gotten a lot of love in the last 2 years including Walking Ballista and Blast Zone.
    That is a good point. D&T runs ghost quarter and field of ruin with leonin arbiter, but killing them isn't happenjng before turn 5 at the earliest (even with Batterskull coming down t3.)

Watching streamers right now and every single deck is trying out SFM. Junk running it instead of rhino, Counter Company using it as a good stuff back up, UW control using it, Cawblade using it, reminds me of when every deck stuffed Karn Great Creator in for a bit.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Colossus in the Playground

The forum's only Vorthos is here again to note that, The Wildered Quest, Throne of Eldraine's novel, will be releasing next week. I will detail my thoughts on it here for those of you tangently interestedf. Expect some things to pop up as a "this is definitely a card" thing.

Speaking of which; we have received some preview pages, so I can say definitively what planeswalkers we can expect to see in Throne! Will, Rowan, GARRUK, and a new fey (possibly even fairy!) planeswalker named Oko! Oko's an anarchist, and he defeats Garruk and soothes a lot of his pain throw a combination of vines and mezmerizing magic. He renames Garruk "Dog" and has Dog refer to him as Master, so all you horny folk can enjoy this too I guess.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

I honestly think the best Mystic deck is going to be Spirits. It's already in those colors and could use a really good grind engine.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I honestly think the best Mystic deck is going to be Spirits. It's already in those colors and could use a really good grind engine.
    Probably. I'm going to give BW and mono white D&T a try I think. Black White gets lingering souls, Tidehollow and Plague Engineer which all seem good with SFM.

Possible list:

Spoiler
    Show
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Batterskull
    4 Caves of Koilos
    2 Ephemerate
    4 Flickerwisp
    4 Ghost Quarter
    4 Giver of Runes
    4 Godless Shrine
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Path to Exile
    4 Plague Engineer
    2 Plains
    2 Restoration Angel
    4 Silent Clearing
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-08-27 at 05:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it true that Scheming Symmetry goes well with a Doomfall (from Hour of Devastation) the following turn?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.