1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

-0 too many hd for not enough.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah LA -0 of course.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

What does it say about WotC that I was willing to accept without question the existence of a sentient blacksmith's forge as a monster?

I didn't even blink. I even had a joke lined up for it about setting a Mimic on fire.

Last edited by Debatra; 2020-01-21 at 07:32 AM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Pretty straightforward -0 too many hd too few things to do...

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    What does it say about WotC that I was willing to accept without question the existence of a sentient blacksmith's forge as a monster?
    And what does it say about this monster that I would have preferred that absolutely bonkers idea?

anyway, -0 for this one.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I didn't even blink. I even had a joke lined up for it about setting a Mimic on fire.

Would have made for a better monster I am sure! Also you could pair them up with that blacksmith fey from frostburn, brainfarting on the name...

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Obvious LA -0.

I even had a joke lined up for it about setting a Mimic on fire.
    Me, I'm thinking o/~ Trans-forge-rs, more than splits the guy o/~
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Worry is going to be less what you'll be inflicting on your enemies and more what you'll be doing once you actually calculate your damage output.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Not much to say here. 12 animal HD, animal intelligence, non-humanoid form, inability to speak, no manipulative digits...in exhange you get decent Str and Con, improved grab, rage, worry, ferocity and scent.

I mean, its not the least playable animal I've seen, but 12HD is just too much. Easy LA -0.

Is it just me, or does WotC seem to have quite a lot of killer boar type monsters?

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Not much to say here. 12 animal HD, animal intelligence, non-humanoid form, inability to speak, no manipulative digits...in exhange you get decent Str and Con, improved grab, rage, worry, ferocity and scent.

I mean, its not the least playable animal I've seen, but 12HD is just too much. Easy LA -0.

Is it just me, or does WotC seem to have quite a lot of killer boar type monsters?
    There's normal boars, dire boars, wereboars, and weredireboars in core alone - there's a monster called a Tusk Terror that's a boar with huge tusks, and there's probably at least one or two more somewhere.

Gets really boaring, I'd say.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Gets really boaring, I'd say.

Gathra (kind of) from FF
    Nightmare Beast from MM2.
    Razor Boar from MM2.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Flame Snake

Animal + Element = three and a half pages filled.

All flame snakes share the fire subtype, scent, and the ability to deal extra fire damage with their touch. They come in three sizes.

Flame Snake, Minor

These small-sized magical beasts only have one RHD. They receive a large dexterity bonus, a little strength, and a smaller intelligence penalty (only -4) than most beasts of this level would. Their sole natural attack is a bite that deals 1d4 damage (plus 1d6 fire) and injects a strength-damaging poison that also deals gradual fire damage for a minute or so.

Additionally, once per day minor flame snakes can cast CL3 Burning Hands. 3d4 fire damage is just enough to consistently knock out first-level goblins and kobolds, but rapidly becomes useless at higher levels.

While a fire immunity is never bad, and the stats are reasonably well-suited to a rogue, the lack of limbs is a large burden that remains as the bonuses fade. That said, it's just barely enough for a +0.

Flame Snake, Lesser

The medium size, tail sting, fast healing, uncanny dodge, and ability to spit magma simply don't make up for eight magical beast HD, not even when you add in the slightly bigger overall numbers. -0 LA.

Flame Snake, Greater

With seventeen RHD, this snake has one niche and one niche only: tank a few attacks, explode in someone's face, and reroll as something better. -0 LA.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2020-02-26 at 03:57 PM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly can't get enthused to write up any detailed breakdown of these critters. Lets just say I agree with LA -0 all around for now.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

The lesser and greater are definitely both -0 LA.

However, I'm somewhat conflicted on the minor one. It gets +2 str +6 dex and -4 int. It gets the fire subtype, which is a bit of a double edged sword. It's bite is not completely useless, and qualifies it for mouthpick weapons. It gets decent speed for its size, and a climb speed is not completely useless.

Now for the bad parts, it doesn't get hands, and it explicitly isn't capable of speech (though it can understand ignan).

Lastly, it gets all of this without paying any RHD, as it's one HD can be exchanged for a class level. I personally think it breaks the boundary for +0 LA. It's only really useful in a combat heavy dungeon-crawl without having to get really inventive. It's lack of hands should not hurt in all that many circumstances. It's body shape hand climb speed should allow it to open non-locked doors, and locked doors it can open the same way a barbarbian could. I wouldn't build one as a rogue, but it could make for a half-decent initiator or non-int caster with its stat boosts. It also qualifies for fangshield druid, if you decide you absolutely need hands and/or speech (though I guess this is kind of the inversion of the 'a wizard can shapechange into this creature' argument).
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-01-27 at 05:15 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

15. - Top - End - #315

-0. If the minor had hands I would give it a +0 but lack of manipulators make it a -0.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    -0. If the minor had hands I would give it a +0 but lack of manipulators make it a -0.
    Agreed: no limbs or digits makes the game hard. Also has no language or ability to speak listed.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to vote LA +0 for the smallest one and LA -0 for the others. I'm currently in a campaign (Blue Jay being the DM) where I play a Unicorn with this thread's LA; it's in part to verify how cumbersome it really is not to have hands or other manipulative appendages. I'm playing an Ardent Unicorn, and have picked Psionic Unseen Servant just in case it gets really troublesome...but we'll see.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

18. - Top - End - #318
    Barbarian in the Playground

So ... welcome back, I guess!
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

19. - Top - End - #319
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oh jeeze I didn’t realize how much I depended on this (the forums and this thread) every day, until it was gone.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, some of the monsters are interesting, concept-wise, if not actually challenging or unique... and then you get filler like these. Bleh.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #321

Goblin

I vote LA +0, LA -0 and LA -0 for the flame snakes, in ascending order.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

We're back! Not a lot of people got a chance to vote so I'm going to leave vote submissions open for a bit more.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I think minor is pretty good at +0 LA it has just enough going for it that it is playable, on the low end but playable. For comparison sake camel, cat, cheetah, croc, dog, and rat all got +0 LA and the minor fire snake is better then all of them...

The only interesting thing about lesser is with 1 more rhd it gets large size, I think if it had 4 rhd I would give it +0 as is it -0 LA

Great just sucks too much to be fixed -0 LA
    Last edited by liquidformat; 2020-02-24 at 04:10 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

+0 LA for the smallest snake, -0 for the others, formians are next!

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Formian, Armadon

Finally, some proper lawful neutral representation.

Like many real-world lawful entities, formians are a big fan of tanks. Unlike most of them, theirs are sentient and spit acid.

Armadons have eight outsider RHD, large size, and a moderate stat spread that emphasizes strength and constitution. They get the usual formian traits (hive mind, immunity to cold, poison, and petrification, resistance to fire, electricity, and sonic). On top of that, they're immune to acid and can spray acid of their own (3d8 damage in a moderately-sized area, every 1d4 rounds).

Physically, armadons rely on a bite attack (with 17-20/3x crit) and two claws, as well as a sting that delivers 1d6 strength damage. Strength-damaging poison isn't very great, and the attacks are a bit lackluster too.

Ultimately, the lack of special abilities or humanoid shape make me sceptical that this'd work at anything more than +0. Putting it there for now, considering -0.

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #326

It might eek out a +0 as a beatstick/blender/bruiser. Great hd, formion abilities including hive mind, good skills, starting large with 4 attacks is nice and might get there. Needs pounce but barbarian or totemist fixes that, both classes being okay ways forward. I think it has enough good stuff to keep a +0.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Put me down for a tentative +0. It is not amazing but it seems like a perfectly functional beat stick.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Armadon

• Large Outsider (Extraplanar, Lawful); no reach
    • 8 RHD, of the equally best kind
    • 40 ft speed: OK
    • +15 natural AC: not half bad.
    • Bite 2d6, 2 claws 1d8 and sting 2d4 + poison: decent if you're looking for a natural attack build.
    • Acid spray: AoE with not amazing damage, every 1d4 rounds. Still, situationally useful, like dissolving objects. Comparable to a level 8 Dragon Shaman or DFA, but unlike them, won't scale with level.
    • Augmented critical: would be nicer if it wasn't only on the bite. If you're able to wield weapons in your claws, makes for a decent secondary attack.
    • Hive mind: communicate with all formians within 50 miles. Also makes it hard to be caught flat footed or flanked while other formians are around. Neat, but unfortunately you cannot speak, so communicating with other creatures will be awkward.
    • Poison: 1d6/1d6 Str damage - not bad, but not amazing.
    • Acid, cold, petrifaction and poison immunity: pretty decent suite of immunities there.
    • Resist fire, electricity and sonic 20: so you are immune or resistant to all 5 energy types. Not bad at all.
    • Outsider traits: meh.
    • SR 20: not bad at your starting level, but quickly tapers away.
    • Str +12, Dex +2, Con +8, Wis +2: net +24, no penalties. Not too shabby.
    • Small-ish but OK skill list.

Weird body shape, and not able to speak. Not sure if those claws could manipulate objects - a lenient DM might say yes.

I think that if you can get around communication and gear issues, they might scrape in for LA +0 as a beat stick, but only just.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I will go with +0 too it is on the very low end but it just barely squeaks by. It works well for swordsage, warblade or even a fair totemist, and a level or so of barbarian does well too.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it's CR 8, same as the RHD, but considering that Fiend Folio CRs are as bad as if not worse than the MMII, that doesn't say as much as it normally would to me.

Extended sig here.